CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Carol et al,

You have all been so helpful in planning. After reading a suggestion for a night tour of Manhattan, we are going to do the Big Bus on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening. My question: we will finish around 10:00 in Times Square near the M and M store. Will we be safe using the subway to get back to the PATH in order to return to PennStation Hilton?

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Thank you, Carol. I'll look for hotels in the Newport area. We need a roll-in shower so can't use hotwire. I'll have to research PATH some more. I don't know how accessible it is. Sometimes elevators are broken and we can't use stairs. So, there is no ferry that we can get on in New Jersey that will take us near the 911 Memorial? I can walk a distance.

Thanks again.

I didn't even think of the ferry. I will research. Look at NY Waterways from Paulus Hook to World Financial Center. That would be much better than PATH for you.

Jaimevoyager - I wouldn't feel uncomfortable taking the subway in that area at 10 pm - still lots of people around.

However you might want to consider taking the NJ Transit train to Newark instead of PATH where you have to transfer at Journal Square and hang out on the platform until the Newark train arrives. It's more money, but you might be more comfortable.

Downtown bus on 7th ave is an option to get to either NY Penn Station or PATH. Bus numbers 7 or 20.

Edited by 138east

Jaimevoyager - I wouldn't feel uncomfortable taking the subway in that area at 10 pm - still lots of people around.

However you might want to consider taking the NJ Transit train to Newark instead of PATH where you have to transfer at Journal Square and hang out on the platform until the Newark train arrives. It's more money, but you might be more comfortable.

Downtown bus on 7th ave is an option to get to either NY Penn Station or PATH. Bus numbers 7 or 20.

Great. Looks like we'll pick up the. Subway at 51st street and take it down close to the PATH station at WTC. I am getting so excited coming back to New York for the first time in 20 years.

Great. Looks like we'll pick up the. Subway at 51st street and take it down close to the PATH station at WTC. I am getting so excited coming back to New York for the first time in 20 years.

Oops your full reply didn't come up when I wrote back a second ago. Great suggestions.

I didn't even think of the ferry. I will research. Look at NY Waterways from Paulus Hook to World Financial Center. That would be much better than PATH for you.

I have been looking at the ferry near Hyatt for 911 Mem. Paulus Hook. 4 minute walk from Hyatt, but Hyatt is very expensive. Also looking at Candlewood. 13 min. walk to

Paulus. These two hotels are closest to Paulus. Now if I can get a better price for Hyatt it would be really easy. Walks are along the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway.

To see the SOL and Ellis I'll just drive to Liberty State Park and catch that ferry.

Do you think I'm on the right track?

Any better ideas?

I have been looking at the ferry near Hyatt for 911 Mem. Paulus Hook. 4 minute walk from Hyatt, but Hyatt is very expensive. Also looking at Candlewood. 13 min. walk to

Paulus. These two hotels are closest to Paulus. Now if I can get a better price for Hyatt it would be really easy. Walks are along the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway.

To see the SOL and Ellis I'll just drive to Liberty State Park and catch that ferry.

Do you think I'm on the right track?

Any better ideas?

I think you're on the right track. Candlewood suites offers $10 parking, so if they have an accessible room it might be possible to drop your spouse off near the Hyatt and return quickly. The light rail stop is also right on the street in front of Candlewood. It would be easily accessible with a scooter, so you could pay the $2.10/pp and ride to Exchange Place which I know is accessible because I was there with two rolling suitcases in Jan.

I think you're on the right track. Candlewood suites offers $10 parking, so if they have an accessible room it might be possible to drop your spouse off near the Hyatt and return quickly. The light rail stop is also right on the street in front of Candlewood. It would be easily accessible with a scooter, so you could pay the $2.10/pp and ride to Exchange Place which I know is accessible because I was there with two rolling suitcases in Jan.

According to the light rail system map, both harborside and exchange place stations are accessible. Does the light rail run above ground? Don't want to deal with nonworking elevators. Both of us could take the light rail from Candlewood. I won't leave him alone. Thanks for this idea, Carol.

Yes the light rail is the 21st century version of the trolley and runs on the street. It is new since I lived in that area and is a wonderful addition to the public transit options in the densely populated NJ towns across the Hudson from NYC. I've taken it to Cape Liberty several times. It was super easy with luggage. With the senior fares and a friend picking me up with her car service, it only cost me $10 to get to the port in Jan from the hotel in Newark.

Here is Exchange Place in action on YouTube. This whole Newport area has been developed in the last 20 years, so you will find it to be a much more ADA compliant.

Yes the light rail is the 21st century version of the trolley and runs on the street. It is new since I lived in that area and is a wonderful addition to the public transit options in the densely populated NJ towns across the Hudson from NYC. I've taken it to Cape Liberty several times. It was super easy with luggage. With the senior fares and a friend picking me up with her car service, it only cost me $10 to get to the port in Jan from the hotel in Newark.

Here is Exchange Place in action on YouTube. This whole Newport area has been developed in the last 20 years, so you will find it to be a much more ADA compliant.

Thanks for the You Tube video. Looks doable for us. Can you buy a senior fare ticket in the machine?

I apologize if this has been asked before, I tried to go through the entire thread. We will be cruising on 4/24 and live in Syracuse NY. The drive is about 4 hours. One person in our party has to work until 8am. With stops and no traffic I figured that would put us to the port around 12:30-1:00pm. I know that traffic can happen at anytime of the day but does anyone know how the traffic is on a Friday(I have only been to the port on a weekend)? We would be on 80 to 287 to 78. I do have the ability to drive separate with the other person in my room but we were hoping to stay together. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated TIA.

I have a couple of very specific driving direction questions that I hope Carol, Meg or njhorseman can answer. We're driving to Cape Liberty (on an upcoming Sunday) after 4 nights at the Hilton Newark Penn Station. I've got Carol's Exit 14a to the port directions printed out and memorized, so I'm good on that critical part.

But, now that I'm mapping how we'd get to the I-78 E turnpike extension, I want to be sure I'm making a good decision and hoping that the entry to I-78 E is well marked and easier than the snarled interchange looks.

So, here are the specific questions: As we leave the Hilton it seems there's no left turn onto Rt. 21 so we'd go past the Prudential Center and turn left on Mulberry Street until it merges with Rt. 21 about a mile south and continue south for another mile or so -- sound logical, so far? Then, my map shows this good size interchange to U.S. 1 N/U.S. 9 N/Interstate 95/I-78 -- is the entrance to I-78 E clearly marked and easy to locate? I'm assuming there's a ticket booth there -- any idea what the toll is from there to 14a?

Thank you all so much for helping us first-timers get with the program!

Edited by tnfcruise

I apologize if this has been asked before, I tried to go through the entire thread. We will be cruising on 4/24 and live in Syracuse NY. The drive is about 4 hours. One person in our party has to work until 8am. With stops and no traffic I figured that would put us to the port around 12:30-1:00pm. I know that traffic can happen at anytime of the day but does anyone know how the traffic is on a Friday(I have only been to the port on a weekend)? We would be on 80 to 287 to 78. I do have the ability to drive separate with the other person in my room but we were hoping to stay together. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated TIA.

You come from Syracuse and it only takes you about 4 hours? We travel from near Ithaca and it takes us a good 5 1/2 hours. Seems like there is always construction and traffic delays. Have you actually done this in 4 hours? I think that is cutting it way too close.

Laura

Tina, as in tnfcruise, here again. We're going to be around Times Square at that time of night several times during precruise Hilton Newark Penn stay. I was planning on taking the subway down to WTC and then Path back to Newark Penn. Is that a reasonable option, too, or do you suggest sticking with your suggested Penn-to-Penn thought above?

Edited by tnfcruise

I have a couple of very specific driving direction questions that I hope Carol, Meg or njhorseman can answer. We're driving to Cape Liberty (on an upcoming Sunday) after 4 nights at the Hilton Newark Penn Station. I've got Carol's Exit 14a to the port directions printed out and memorized, so I'm good on that critical part.

But, now that I'm mapping how we'd get to the I-78 E turnpike extension, I want to be sure I'm making a good decision and hoping that the entry to I-78 E is well marked and easier than the snarled interchange looks.

So, here are the specific questions: As we leave the Hilton it seems there's no left turn onto Rt. 21 so we'd go past the Prudential Center and turn left on Mulberry Street until it merges with Rt. 21 about a mile south and continue south for another mile or so -- sound logical, so far? Then, my map shows this good size interchange to U.S. 1 N/U.S. 9 N/Interstate 95/I-78 -- is the entrance to I-78 E clearly marked and easy to locate? I'm assuming there's a ticket booth there -- any idea what the toll is from there to 14a?

Thank you all so much for helping us first-timers get with the program!

I don't do much driving in Newark, so I have limited information to give you. I was in downtown Newark in Jan and there were a lot of one way streets that the hotel shuttle had to follow to get around that area. It looks like you really need to follow the one way streets around the blocks to get onto route 21 south. A couple of years ago I drove from a hotel on route 1 and 9 by I78 to take route 21 into downtown Newark. It was easy, but there are lots of traffic lights. I78 is a major RouenI and should be well marked.

My advice for Newark is to stay on the major streets and don't make up your own shortcuts. Mapquest sends you around the blocks until you are on route 21. It does not send you down Mulberry street for more than 3 blocks.

Tina, as in tnfcruise, here again. We're going to be around Times Square at that time of night several times during precruise Hilton Newark Penn stay. I was planning on taking the subway down to WTC and then Path back to Newark Penn. Is that a reasonable option, too, or do you suggest sticking with your suggested Penn-to-Penn thought above?

Perhaps some of the New Yorkers will chime in.

As I remember it's a bit of a walk from the WTC E train station to PATH through an underground concourse. I just don't have a feeling anymore for how busy that transfer might be later in the evening. Years ago I did it with my daughter around 11 pm to go from Lincoln Center to the NPS Hilton. When we lived in the area, I wouldn't have thought twice about doing it. The two subway trains will be fine - it's the concourse that might not be busy enough.

Penn Station is really not far from the south side of Times Square. NJ trains are on the 8th Ave side. It might be just easier to walk there on surface streets and take a NJTransit train directly to Newark.

I don't do much driving in Newark, so I have limited information to give you. I was in downtown Newark in Jan and there were a lot of one way streets that the hotel shuttle had to follow to get around that area. It looks like you really need to follow the one way streets around the blocks to get onto route 21 south. A couple of years ago I drove from a hotel on route 1 and 9 by I78 to take route 21 into downtown Newark. It was easy, but there are lots of traffic lights. I78 is a major RouenI and should be well marked.

My advice for Newark is to stay on the major streets and don't make up your own shortcuts. Mapquest sends you around the blocks until you are on route 21. It does not send you down Mulberry street for more than 3 blocks.

Thanks very much for the Newark driving advice...I'm hoping that once we arrive at the Hilton from Cleveland we won't have to drive anywhere until we head to the port. I'm using my online AAA TripTik map which is the source that gave me that Mulberry St route. I'm mostly concerned about the I-78 interchange, but you've put me at ease on that, too.

I don't want your question to get lost. I don't have an answer for you other than you're cutting it very close. I will be driving to CL from Mass in June and I will be on the road no later than 6 am.

I'd either walk from Times Square to New York Penn Station and take NJ Transit back to Newark Penn Station or take a subway one stop from Times Square to New York Penn Station and then take NJ Transit to Newark.

Perhaps some of the New Yorkers will chime in.

As I remember it's a bit of a walk from the WTC E train station to PATH through an underground concourse. I just don't have a feeling anymore for how busy that transfer might be later in the evening. Years ago I did it with my daughter around 11 pm to go from Lincoln Center to the NPS Hilton. When we lived in the area, I wouldn't have thought twice about doing it. The two subway trains will be fine - it's the concourse that might not be busy enough.

Penn Station is really not far from the south side of Times Square. NJ trains are on the 8th Ave side. It might be just easier to walk there on surface streets and take a NJTransit train directly to Newark.

Thanks again for your sage advice and ideas. I've been to NYC about a half-dozen times over the past 10 years on business. I'm not intimidated or uncomfortable with walking or subway-ing anytime of the day or night, but your concourse comment made a lot of sense to me. And, you're right about the walk from Times Square to Penn. My spouse and I will traveling with another couple and one of them has an ankle issue (in fact, he's going to have it replaced the week after we're back from our cruise). I suppose he/we could always hail a cab to get us to Penn.

I'd either walk from Times Square to New York Penn Station and take NJ Transit back to Newark Penn Station or take a subway one stop from Times Square to New York Penn Station and then take NJ Transit to Newark.

Thanks for chiming in! I like the idea of the one stop subway ride to Penn and then on to NJ Transit.

Thanks for chiming in! I like the idea of the one stop subway ride to Penn and then on to NJ Transit.

Just keep in mind that there are four of you, which is $11 to go by subway to Penn Station. If you are in the Times Square area, it may be cheaper and certainly more convenient to take a taxi. If one of your party has mobility issues, I would try to walk to 7th Ave and take a downtown cab which could swing around and drop you on the 8th Ave side of the station for the NJ trains. This should be in the $11 range or less as long as the streets aren't gridlocked.

Pay attention to exactly where you are. If you walk to the 1,2,3 subway station in Times Square, You will end up walking almost an avenue through Penn Station to the NJ trains. However, if you walk to the A, E, C trains on 8th Ave, you will end up at the NJ trains in Penn Station.

You come from Syracuse and it only takes you about 4 hours? We travel from near Ithaca and it takes us a good 5 1/2 hours. Seems like there is always construction and traffic delays. Have you actually done this in 4 hours? I think that is cutting it way too close.

Laura

Yes we have made this trip a few time in 4 1/2 with stops, but we were leaving on a Sunday. I was curious of traffic on a Friday.