CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Hey everyone! Party of two, sailling for the first time in june and i have a few questions about the hotel the night before departure.

We are coming from canada by amtrak and booked to stop at the Newark airport train station. We booked the Best Western Plus Airport Hotel because we thought there was a shuttle from there to the pier (it says so on their website) but when i called to make sure that we didn't need to reserve for the shuttle and the main desk guy told me they didn't have such shuttle. Anyone can help me here?

Also i've read that this hotel is lost on it's own, i might need to stop by a few stores before heading to the pier. Do you guys advise me to change hotel? We are looking for a cheap night, just a bed with clean sheets to sleep in.

There are basically no "sundry" stores near any of the airport hotels. There are also very few hotels that we recommend that offer shuttles. Cab or car service is the primary way to get to Cape Liberty.

My advice is to do what I did in Jan. Look at the Robert Treat in downtown Newark. I'm seeing $112 plus tax for June 3 prepaid. I came in from Boston to Newark Penn Station at 8 pm. I called for their shuttle and waited about 20 min. A cab ride to the hotel would have been under $10. It's downtown Newark, so you don't want to walk the 5-6 blocks with luggage at night.

There will be more services available to you in Newark. Hotel offers free breakfast, free wifi, and free shuttle to both the airport and Newark Penn Station. It is a full service hotel - I thought the bed was unusually comfortable. I took the shuttle back to Penn Station in the morning at 9 am and took PATH to Exchange Place ($2.75) Train was relatively empty and I had no problem getting a seat with my two small rolling bags. At Exchange Place I took the two elevators up to the street and walked across the plaza to the accessible light rail station on the street. Bought a ticket from the machine ($2.10), validated it, and got on another empty train to go to 34th Street in Bayonne. Would have called a cab to go into the port for about $10-12, but a friend was able to pick me up. I arrived in Bayonne at 10:05 and about 15 minutes later was at the terminal.

Newark is a highly industrialized urban area. You do NOT want to be booking the "cheap" hotels because that is exactly what you will get.

I'm going to be direct and say that some areas of Newark are very unsafe. You need to be careful where you book.

Robert Treat is a nice hotel, in the middle of downtown Newark and as a retired Police Officer from Essex County I would avoid that area at all costs. Just not worth it, not because of the hotel but the area.

I agree. I didn't start recommending the Robert Treat until I actually stayed there. I thought it was a nice location fronting on a park with no commercial activity on the block. It is 4-5 blocks from Newark Penn Station across from NJPAC (New Jersey Performing Arts Center).

I don't know what kinds of sundry shopping might be available. Perhaps someone else can comment.

Robert Treat is a nice hotel, in the middle of downtown Newark and as a retired Police Officer from Essex County I would avoid that area at all costs. Just not worth it, not because of the hotel but the area.

When you say that the area is not safe, what do you mean exactly?

I'm not recommending they wander the area - they should use the hotel shuttle.

The Best Western area at the airport is not so wonderful either. Over the years folks have posted experiences with car vandalism and hookers on that particular street.

A budget hotel we recommend all the time at the airport is the Ramada Plaza. aa.com often offers really good rates.

Questions: (1) can you buy a train pass for several days instead of paying each time you get on? ...

No train pass for PATH

It's a rare day indeed when Carol gives an answer that isn't 100 percent correct, but her answer re. the PATH pass here isn't quite accurate...

But yes--you can buy a pass or a multi-trip card for the PATH train. All the options are listed and described here:

http://www.panynj.gov/path/fares.html

For example, a 10-trip SmartLink card saves you a whopping 65 cents per ride (if, in fact, you make all 10 trips). But the real benefit is in ease of travel--that is, it saves you from having to purchase a new ticket each time you travel on a PATH train. Also, note that two people can use the same multi-trip card--but not the same day- or multi-day pass.

(Generally, a multi-trip SmartLink card almost always works out better than a day pass or multi-day pass, unless you're planning to ride back and forth between NYC & NJ several times a day.:) As someone who rides the PATH trains frequently, I always keep a multi-trip card in my wallet.)

As for the Light Rail... Yes, as Carol says, you will have to purchase an individual ticket for each trip. (The only Light Rail pass is a 30-day pass, used mainly by commuters.) Tickets for seniors age 62+ (as well as people with disabilities, and children) are half price--one of the greatest bargains in the state of New Jersey.;)

Oops! Thanks for the correction John. I actually have a senior Smartlink card for Path and I used it this past Jan when I went on the Quantum along with the half price light rail ticket. You're right - they are a great deal.

Does anyone know about the Hilton Newark Penn Station? The cruise line (RCL) uses this hotel for their pre cruise locations. It is currently wait listed with the cruise line, but a lot less expensive if I book it directly. I would just have to find transportation to the port. There will be about 14 of us so I am checking with private car services for pick up. The hotel is in Gateway Center downtown. They have airport pick up. There seems to be a lot of restaurants in the area. It will be a Tuesday night so should be busy downtown. It is also close to Penn Station if we want to go into NYC for dinner. But, since I don't know the area I was hoping someone coukd let me know if this will be a good place to stay.

Does anyone know about the Hilton Newark Penn Station? The cruise line (RCL) uses this hotel for their pre cruise locations. It is currently wait listed with the cruise line, but a lot less expensive if I book it directly. I would just have to find transportation to the port. There will be about 14 of us so I am checking with private car services for pick up. The hotel is in Gateway Center downtown. They have airport pick up. There seems to be a lot of restaurants in the area. It will be a Tuesday night so should be busy downtown. It is also close to Penn Station if we want to go into NYC for dinner. But, since I don't know the area I was hoping someone coukd let me know if this will be a good place to stay.

Chances are you will do much better if you book it directly. We often recommend this hotel, particularly for anyone who is considering going into Manhattan. Nj Transit train is $5 to New York Penn Station and PATH is $2.75 to World Trade Center if anyone wants to do the 911 Memorial.

I have no problems with the hotel as long as folks realize it is a highly urban area and they should not be wandering the local streets at night. The hotel is attached to Newark Penn Station via a skywalk.

No reason all 14 folks should be attached at the hip for evening plans. I'd come up with the options and let folks make their own plans. We can come up with other suggestions. What is your date? Sporting events and Broadway Theater are also options. Google Newark Ironbound restaurants for the Spanish/Portuguese options, but plan to take cabs there and back.

Because of the airport there is a lot of transportation available to be booked. Start with Dial7 and Carmelimo to get to the port by car service. Post back with more questions.

Re: Hilton Penn Station Newark..it's fine and is connected to the train station via skywalk...

You will never get a good rate booking through the cruise line since they list rates as PER PERSON, DOUBLE OCCUPANCY...hence, if you're looking at a brochure, or on line, there's a 99% chance that the rate is going to be double..

Most times it's cheaper to book the hotel on your own...they DO have airport shuttles, you will not need to take a shuttle to the train station, it's connected....and you can get to either NJ Transit OR PATH from Newark Penn.

The Ironbound district has great restaurants as Carol said....so you'll be fine. Again, don't wander outside after rush hour.....but you should be happy there. The hotel gets LOTS of repeat, business guests and the staff has been very nice on occasions when I have been up there.....

Chances are you will do much better if you book it directly. We often recommend this hotel, particularly for anyone who is considering going into Manhattan. Nj Transit train is $5 to New York Penn Station and PATH is $2.75 to World Trade Center if anyone wants to do the 911 Memorial.

I have no problems with the hotel as long as folks realize it is a highly urban area and they should not be wandering the local streets at night. The hotel is attached to Newark Penn Station via a skywalk.

No reason all 14 folks should be attached at the hip for evening plans. I'd come up with the options and let folks make their own plans. We can come up with other suggestions. What is your date? Sporting events and Broadway Theater are also options. Google Newark Ironbound restaurants for the Spanish/Portuguese options, but plan to take cabs there and back.

Because of the airport there is a lot of transportation available to be booked. Start with Dial7 and Carmelimo to get to the port by car service. Post back with more questions.

Thanks for your quick response!! Everyone is coming from different places and flying in at different times so we won't all be together that night. We are coming in on Oct 6 to Newark at 4:15. There are some others that are coming in on the 5th so will be there 2 nights. By staying there, it gives an option to get into NYC or stay in Newark. I did call Dial7 and still need to call Carmelimo. Dial 7 has a 14 passenger van that could take luggage for about $275 plus tip and tolls. They didn't say how much the toll was.

Thanks for your quick response!! Everyone is coming from different places and flying in at different times so we won't all be together that night. We are coming in on Oct 6 to Newark at 4:15. There are some others that are coming in on the 5th so will be there 2 nights. By staying there, it gives an option to get into NYC or stay in Newark. I did call Dial7 and still need to call Carmelimo. Dial 7 has a 14 passenger van that could take luggage for about $275 plus tip and tolls. They didn't say how much the toll was.

The toll for a van may be more than a car but it should be around 3 bucks or so, double if they ask for round trip tolls....they'll probably add 15-18% for a tip to the total.

For a no frills service contact Independent driver - 888-816-0973.

The beauty of arranging your own transportation is that you can go to the port early. If you book through RCL they will probably take you later than you might want to go.

We plan on staying at the Courtyard in Jersey City for two nights before we sail out of Cape Liberty on the Summit. We want to go to Ellis Island (from the Jersey side), and then maybe into NYC for awhile. Is it a decent hotel? Easy to get to Capt Liberty on sail away day (Sunday 31 May)? We will be driving our own car.

Edited by quicklabs

We plan on staying at the Courtyard in Jersey City for two nights before we sail out of Cape Liberty on the Summit. We want to go to Ellis Island (from the Jersey side), and then maybe into NYC for awhile. Is it a decent hotel? Easy to get to Capt Liberty on sail away day (Sunday 31 May)? We will be driving our own car.

Our extended family of 5 stayed at the Courtyard in Sep for three nights for a family wedding. The others went to Ellis Island, but I just took the round trip on the ferry and got myself back to the Courtyard to take a nap.

So here's the deal. You can drive and park at Liberty State Park for $7. Once you're on either of the islands you can take any ferry to the other island or back to either NJ or NY, but .... If you've parked your car at Liberty State Park, you have to get back there to retrieve it.

So what I did to get back to the Courtyard was to take the Warren Street ferry

for $2 across the channel, walked 4 blocks to the light rail, went back to the Newport station, and walked two blocks back to the hotel.

The point of all this is that if you're willing to do some walking, you can get to the Liberty State Park by public transit, go to Ellis Island, return to Battery Park in NYC, and take the subway anywhere you want to go in Manhattan. You can return to the hotel via PATH from 33rd St or World Trade Center. This is fine if the weather is good, but in poor weather I'd drive to and from Liberty State Park and then take PATH wherever you want to go.

http://www.libertylandingferry.com/littlelady-stops.aspx

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

You're coming from Boston. The Bayonne Bridge connects Staten Island with Bayonne and will not affect you.

This is what you need:

Directions from Mass

If you come out the Mass Pike, you pick up I84 west in Auburn and I91 south in Hartford. You take exit 17 marked W Cross Parkway. This becomes the Merritt Parkway wt Milford.

If you come down I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 1 in CT. This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit and slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

The are no trucks on this route from Meriden CT to the GW Bridge and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

At exit 14A please follow these directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. There are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is not 100% reliable in this area.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

If you come down I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 1 in CT..

So as not to confuse anyone, there is no Exit 1 in CT. The last exit is Exit 2 - Delavan Avenue. Then Exit 21 to get on to I-287 and then cut over to the Hutch is Exit 9N-S.