CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Honestly I don't know how booking that shuttle works. I'd try emailing Trinity. They are very good about responding.

What time of day are you arriving? With a group of 4 "adults" I'd look at taking a cab to Newark Penn Station for about $25 and taking the train to NYC for $5/pp each way and walking to Times Square. You can take the train to NYC from the airport for $12.50/pp each way, but you have to take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and take the free Airtrain to the airport train station to catch the train. This can be more time consuming than paying to go directly to Newark Penn Station by cab.

I think about 5pm. Any Time Square places to eat (that are not chains:p) The cab/train/walking combo sounds great. THANKS!!!

Honestly I don't know how booking that shuttle works. I'd try emailing Trinity. They are very good about responding.

What time of day are you arriving? With a group of 4 "adults" I'd look at taking a cab to Newark Penn Station for about $25 and taking the train to NYC for $5/pp each way and walking to Times Square. You can take the train to NYC from the airport for $12.50/pp each way, but you have to take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and take the free Airtrain to the airport train station to catch the train. This can be more time consuming than paying to go directly to Newark Penn Station by cab.

Another option: don't take the train-- when you get to Newark Penn Station follow the signs to the PATH train. It's about $10 for all 4 of you and you can walk to Times Square from the 33rd street stop.

Yes - pull down the schedules for both NJ Transit and PATH. Service is not as good on the weekends and very late night. The train takes about 22-25 minutes and PATH takes 42 minutes via Hoboken with a transfer at Journal Square. Path runs every 20 minutes. Trains run 3 times an hour, but they are clustered between :36 and :48 past the hour inbound.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

Leaving on Summit for the 6/14 Bermuda cruise, and we'll be driving in the morning of the cruise from about an hour away. We are early boarders (if possible), and we're wondering what time is too early to arrive at Cape Liberty? Sailing is at 4 pm...

Also, looks like the best (safest?) option is parking at the port - any drawbacks to doing that?

Thanks!

Leaving on Summit for the 6/14 Bermuda cruise, and we'll be driving in the morning of the cruise from about an hour away. We are early boarders (if possible), and we're wondering what time is too early to arrive at Cape Liberty? Sailing is at 4 pm...

Also, looks like the best (safest?) option is parking at the port - any drawbacks to doing that?

Thanks!

Park at the pier, WAY easier, safer and less of a hassle....and arrive around 11...you'll be on the ship pretty quickly I would guess.....

What part of the U.S. are you coming from? What are you paying for your rooms? What age group are you in and do you have experience with highly urban areas? What in particular attracted you to this hotel? What are your sightseeing objectives in NYC?

The Element is a new hotel. However, it is in Harrison NJ, a very urban area just east of downtown Newark, so safety is a consideration. It is also located near the train tracks, so overnight noise is a concern if you're on the wrong side of the hotel. The hotel does not seem to offer a Newark Airport shuttle, which is an added expense. It will take you at least 40-45 minutes to get to midtown Manhattan on PATH via a transfer at Journal Square.

Did you consider the Robert Treat in downtown Newark which is a full service hotel with an airport and Newark Penn Station shuttle, free breakfast, and free internet? Using Newark Penn Station as a transportation hub gives you NJTransit access to New York Penn Station for $5 and PATH access to downtown Manhattan for $2.75. It's a very busy station with lots of folks coming and going as opposed to the Harrison PATH station which always looks somewhat deserted.

Any reviews or comments about the Element Hotel yet? Would think someone would have reported back. Any idea of what Independent Driver would charge for a ride from the Element to Cape Liberty? Thanks for all the info you give out.

Any reviews or comments about the Element Hotel yet? Would think someone would have reported back. Any idea of what Independent Driver would charge for a ride from the Element to Cape Liberty? Thanks for all the info you give out.

No feedback on Element yet. Honestly, due to the hotel's location it's not going to attract many cruisers who are going to post about it. The prices are in the same range as the airport hotels. I'm sure it's very nice, but I'd have trouble recommending it on this forum to folks coming from less urban areas of the country. The area around the Harrison PATH station is not appealing.

You'll have to call independent Driver to get a quote.

(Trying not to be overly dramatic) On another thread CaptDave mentioned that you should not drive anywhere in Newark after dark.... Our hotel (booked due to this thread) is in Newark. I am now questioning this hotel. It freaked me out a little. Is this area safe for tourist? Totally out of my element here...last time I went to NY, I was totally naive and stupid. This time I have kids and like I tell my daughter, the moment I found out I was pregnant, I worried about everything! What do I need to worry/plan here?

I was once coming back to Newark Penn station at 3am. My cousin dropped me off outside and left. As I walked to the entrance, I realized that I had to walk around the entire building to get to another entrance. I was terrified. I don't know about driving in this area, but walking around after dark doesn't feel safe (and I live in Manhattan and find most areas fine). Newark is a totally different story.

(Trying not to be overly dramatic) On another thread CaptDave mentioned that you should not drive anywhere in Newark after dark.... Our hotel (booked due to this thread) is in Newark. I am now questioning this hotel. It freaked me out a little. Is this area safe for tourist? Totally out of my element here...last time I went to NY, I was totally naive and stupid. This time I have kids and like I tell my daughter, the moment I found out I was pregnant, I worried about everything! What do I need to worry/plan here?

Stayed in Newark a few times (Fairfield Inn), and if you're in that area there was a shopping/outlet mall about a mile away, also restaurants nearby. Safe enough (I doubt you'll be out at 1 or 2 AM!). People overall might not seem as friendly as Tenn folks :D, but I wouldn't worry.

Hopefully you'll some others on here more familiar with the area to answer your q.

Ok, keep them coming. I need this out of mind & back to trying to decide what we want to do in Bermuda!

And yes, people here in TN & KY are very friendly. I think I will feel right at home in Bermuda smiling at people & saying hello. [emoji6][emoji5]️

There is downtown Newark and there is airport Newark. The Ramada is on the north side of the airport in a relatively isolated area - not a lot of traffic and no foot traffic. Not to freak you out, but there is a prison nearby which IMO means the area gets increased police scrutiny.

I also advise not driving in downtown Newark at night because you don't have a clue about the area. Take a cab to Newark Penn Station. If you don't like what you see, pay the extra money and take the train back to Newark Airport Station when you return. I arrived by myself at Newark Penn Station in Jan around 8 pm and had to wait for about a half hour out front for the hotel shuttle. If I had felt uncomfortable I would have hopped in a cab. I was surprised at how busy the station was, but after all it is the major rail and bus hub in North Jersey.

Oh boy...just received a tele message and text from Celebrity warning of the probable delays on the turnpike this Sunday because of the construction project. Carol, Meg, njhorseman, what would you do? We're staying at the Newark Penn Station Hilton and are planning to park at the port. Would you suggest an alternate route or just leave the hotel earlier or other suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Oh boy...just received a tele message and text from Celebrity warning of the probable delays on the turnpike this Sunday because of the construction project. Carol, Meg, njhorseman, what would you do? We're staying at the Newark Penn Station Hilton and are planning to park at the port. Would you suggest an alternate route or just leave the hotel earlier or other suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Really, Celebrity is warning you of delays on the turnpike?!! Now I'm getting worried. To my knowledge there's really no other way to get there then using the NJT for us since we are from CT.

I would be very interested in reading the replies as we sail in 3 weeks - May 24 and we always drive and park at the port.

Would you please post the message that Celebrity sent you?

Also, is this notification something that you signed up for?

Thank you!

I'm not seeing anything on the turnpike web site, but that doesn't mean something isn't going on. I live in Mass so I don't have access to the local radio and TV. Perhaps someone in the local area has heard something.

The Bayonne Bridge is scheduled to be closed Saturday. - it's been closed on and off all week, but that doesn't affect the turnpike directly and it won't affect a Sunday Celebrity sailing.

Wait - I think I just found it! The Pulaski Skyway appears to be closed in both directions this weekend - http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/04/harsh_cold_rusted_steel_bump_back_pulaski_skyway_t.html

Traffic on the skyway may spill over onto the turnpike. But don't get crazy - Sunday morning is the lowest traffic time. Just leave earlier to get out the turnpike extension before any traffic builds up.

Just leave yourself a little extra time. Normally traffic on Sunday morning is light, so the effect of construction delays shouldn't be too overwhelming.

... I live in Mass so I don't have access to the local radio and TV. Perhaps someone in the local area has heard something....
Maybe this will help someone. On our (Android) smartphone, we use the "radio.com" app when we travel to Philly to get a particular radio station that has great traffic reports for that area. We like to know about traffic conditions while we are still out of range from the station. I believe this app carries CBS affiliate stations, but there may be other apps that carry other stations. I haven't found this app to use much data.

What radio stations and other sources would you recommend for someone traveling to Bayonne (from PA, if that makes a difference)? Thank you!

This thread is full of such valuable information! We just booked the Anthem for June 30, 2016. Got plenty of time to plan, but I'm thinking of the Hampton Inn in Elizabeth. I believe they have a shuttle from EWR to their hotel. Would just need to figure out transfer to the pier. We also plan on doing Statue of Liberty and WTC Memorial the day before the cruise. Is it possible to take public transportation from Elizabeth to that end of Manhattan? Thanks in advance for advice! Bonnie

I second Carol's advise on the radio stations.

I also agree with Carol that traffic is the lightest on a Sunday am. But you never know.

It's AM channels - 880 does traffic & transit on the 8's (& then the weather) where 1010 does it on the 1's. I usually listen to both as sometimes one station has things the other does not. Also I listen to 880 first & as soon as the weather is over I switch to 1010.

Also if you use the Waze app it will route you around traffic. We have used it a lot & have found it very accurate.

Hope this helps!

Good luck! We leave for our cruise May 24.