CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

I promised to report back after our Cape Liberty Summit to Bermuda 5/3-5/10...so, here it is. First, let me *profusely* thank Carol, Meg and njhorseman for the numerous tips and wise advice over the last year about all things precruise (right up to embarkation day).

The turnpike extension (weekend) construction, that Celebrity sent messages and voicemails regarding, ended up delaying our arrival at the port by only 10 or 15 minutes. We did leave the Hilton Newark Penn Station a half hour earlier (9:30) than we'd planned on that Sunday morning which I'm sure helped--we were in the "tent" with luggage dropped off and parked by 10:20A. By the way, no sign of the port garage construction. Carol's directions to the port, after exiting at 14a, are spot on...don't attempt to use any other method (GPS, trip-tik, etc.)

We found the Hilton a perfect choice for our 4-night precruise leg of the trip. Having Path and NJ Transit options (to easily get to mid-town and lower Manhattan) right across the street from the hotel was so convenient, and the lobby-to-terminal covered walkway a bonus. Desk staff, bellmen, housekeepers all friendly, helpful, professional. The hotel itself is older but I found the entire facility, including our lovely 10th floor room overlooking the station, to be well-maintained and very clean. The bathrooms are tiny as a ships, but well laid out and adequate. My only complaint is there are no mini-fridges in the rooms. I've heard, on this board and others, that the rates at this hotel can sometimes put folks off from staying here--we'd booked this many months in advance and received what I think was an excellent rate of $149 per night. Garage parking, with tax was about $25 a night and is added immediately, for length of stay, to your hotel bill.

On Saturday evening (the night before our cruise and after a long day in Manhattan) our party of four hopped a cab in front of Newark Penn and went to Tops Diner in East Newark. Less than a ten-minute ride to the coolest diner I've ever been to...fantastic food, great bar service, and friendly staff...all terrific. I highly, highly recommended it. No reservations taken and we did have about a twenty minute wait, but absolutely worth it.

One more comment...about our embarkation experience. There was a problem with the check-in computers and the last ones to reboot and get up and running properly were the four for concierge class (priority embarkation). I thought the issue was handled poorly and our boarding was unnecessarily delayed for about an hour. Not a biggie, in the larger context of things, but it didn't start things off very well.

This was not meant to be a review...hopefully my comments added to the current *411* aspects of the thread.

I promised to report back after our Cape Liberty Summit to Bermuda 5/3-5/10...so, here it is. First, let me *profusely* thank Carol, Meg and njhorseman for the numerous tips and wise advice over the last year about all things precruise (right up to embarkation day).

The turnpike extension (weekend) construction, that Celebrity sent messages and voicemails regarding, ended up delaying our arrival at the port by only 10 or 15 minutes. We did leave the Hilton Newark Penn Station a half hour earlier (9:30) than we'd planned on that Sunday morning which I'm sure helped--we were in the "tent" with luggage dropped off and parked by 10:20A. By the way, no sign of the port garage construction. Carol's directions to the port, after exiting at 14a, are spot on...don't attempt to use any other method (GPS, trip-tik, etc.)

We found the Hilton a perfect choice for our 4-night precruise leg of the trip. Having Path and NJ Transit options (to easily get to mid-town and lower Manhattan) right across the street from the hotel was so convenient, and the lobby-to-terminal covered walkway a bonus. Desk staff, bellmen, housekeepers all friendly, helpful, professional. The hotel itself is older but I found the entire facility, including our lovely 10th floor room overlooking the station, to be well-maintained and very clean. The bathrooms are tiny as a ships, but well laid out and adequate. My only complaint is there are no mini-fridges in the rooms. I've heard, on this board and others, that the rates at this hotel can sometimes put folks off from staying here--we'd booked this many months in advance and received what I think was an excellent rate of $149 per night. Garage parking, with tax was about $25 a night and is added immediately, for length of stay, to your hotel bill.

On Saturday evening (the night before our cruise and after a long day in Manhattan) our party of four hopped a cab in front of Newark Penn and went to Tops Diner in East Newark. Less than a ten-minute ride to the coolest diner I've ever been to...fantastic food, great bar service, and friendly staff...all terrific. I highly, highly recommended it. No reservations taken and we did have about a twenty minute wait, but absolutely worth it.

One more comment...about our embarkation experience. There was a problem with the check-in computers and the last ones to reboot and get up and running properly were the four for concierge class (priority embarkation). I thought the issue was handled poorly and our boarding was unnecessarily delayed for about an hour. Not a biggie, in the larger context of things, but it didn't start things off very well.

This was not meant to be a review...hopefully my comments added to the current *411* aspects of the thread.

Great feedback!! Thanks!

hmm,...a diner in NJ that I have MISSED? oops...gotta try it!!

Great feedback!! Thanks!

hmm,...a diner in NJ that I have MISSED? oops...gotta try it!!

[emoji4]Well, I'll be dipped! I actually scooped one of you?

We only stumbled upon Tops by pure happenstance-- it was mentioned in passing on a Trip Advisor Hilton Newark Penn hotel review. And, it doesn't come up as a Newark restaurant on Trip Advisor since it's not technically there. I do hope you get there at some point.

Thanks again, Meg, not only for all the great advice but for continuing this Cape Liberty 411 topic and thread (now at version 4!!)

Aloha all,

I wish I had read this thread before I created a new thread for my questions about getting from JFK to Cape Liberty Cruise port.

I guess I start posting in this one since 138east is posting in this thread and seems to have a lot of info I'm looking for.

Aloha, rak

Aloha 138east,

My wife and I are both retired now and this will be our 3rd cruise. We went on the 7 day Anchorage to Vancouver in 2012 and 7 day around Hokkaido last year on Princess. This is the first time we're cruising from the east coast.

My wife was thinking we would stay at Candlewood Suites Jersey City. She was saying that she thought we should rent a car at JFK, drive along the coast and on to Staten Island using the Verranzano Narrows Bridge into New Jersey using the Bayonne Bridge and drop the car off at the Enterprise car rental at the DoubleTree Jersey City. The 1 day rental with the drop off fee is about $120. I would then walk to the Candlewood Suites Jersey City. We would be able to use the car for the day.

I've been reading the "CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!! (Multi-page thread" since I last posted and thought your postings were very helpful.

I read the suggestion about catching the PATH light rail and was thinking that if we stay at the Candlewood Suites Jersey City, there is a Harborside Light Rail Station about 250 yards from the hotel. If we dragged the bags from the hotel to the Harborside station and caught the PATH to the 34th Street station on the day of departure for the cruise, would it save us about $20 in cab fare. For that amount, I think my wife is going to prefer to catch the cab from the Candlewood Suites Jersey City to the Cape Liberty Cruise port.

I was thinking that since we are planning to stay in New York for a few days after the cruise, our daughter lives in Manhattan, if we were to use the PATH from the NJ side, catching it to Penn Station NY after the cruise might save us a few $ on the way to our (yet to be decided) NY hotel.

I look forward to reading your suggestions.

Aloha, rakuroda

ps.

I posted this in the "JFK to Cape Liberty Cruise port" thread I started a few days ago before I found this thread. I am reposting this here and will post all further questions here.

Aloha, rakuroda

Aloha 138east,

My wife and I are both retired now and this will be our 3rd cruise. We went on the 7 day Anchorage to Vancouver in 2012 and 7 day around Hokkaido last year on Princess. This is the first time we're cruising from the east coast.

My wife was thinking we would stay at Candlewood Suites Jersey City. She was saying that she thought we should rent a car at JFK, drive along the chuoast and on to Staten Island using the Verranzano Narrows Bridge into New Jersey using the Bayonne Bridge and drop the car off at the Enterprise car rental at the DoubleTree Jersey City. The 1 day rental with the drop off fee is about $120. I would then walk to the Candlewood Suites Jersey City. We would be able to use the car for the day.

I've been reading the "CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!! (Multi-page thread" since I last posted and thought your postings were very helpful.

I read the suggestion about catching the PATH light rail and was thinking that if we stay at the Candlewood Suites Jersey City, there is a Harborside Light Rail Station about 250 yards from the hotel. If we dragged the bags from the hotel to the Harborside station and caught the PATH to the 34th Street station on the day of departure for the cruise, would it save us about $20 in cab fare. For that amount, I think my wife is going to prefer to catch the cab from the Candlewood Suites Jersey City to the Cape Liberty Cruise port.

I was thinking that since we are planning to stay in New York for a few days after the cruise, our daughter lives in Manhattan, if we were to use the PATH from the NJ side, catching it to Penn Station NY after the cruise might save us a few $ on the way to our (yet to be decided) NY hotel.

I look forward to reading your suggestions.

Aloha, rakuroda

ps.

I posted this in the "JFK to Cape Liberty Cruise port" thread I started a few days ago before I found this thread. I am reposting this here and will post all further questions here.

Aloha, rakuroda

I answered you on the other thread. Sometimes separate threads are easier to track and you don't get stepped on by other posts.

Wow, what an awesome feed! It took me 2 days just to read V4 but wanted to get through it before I posted my specific questions. We (my husband and I) are on the Nov 30 sailing of Anthem out of Bayonne, Cape Liberty. We are staying 3 nights pre-cruise at the Hampton Inn Newark Airport (Hilton Honors members using points for all 3 nights). It is a necessity that we tour Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty on this trip east (we hail from Minnesota). We are flying United into Newark International. Suggestion here about using dial7.com or carmellimo.com will work well for the hotel to port needs but...

Q1: what would you all suggest for non-public transportation to Liberty National Park to pick up the ferry to Ellis Island and then return to the hotel?

Q2: what are thoughts on the Hampton as a clean, quiet and safe location?

Q3: we have plenty of time to make it to EWR for return flight so what could you suggest for transportation from port to EWR? We enjoy walking if safe but are not experienced with metro transportation. It does seem bazaar that with all the cruise ships going in and out of Cape Liberty that transportation between airports/hotels wouldn't be more available at sensible costs.

Thanks again for all the great information here!

Wow, what an awesome feed! It took me 2 days just to read V4 but wanted to get through it before I posted my specific questions. We (my husband and I) are on the Nov 30 sailing of Anthem out of Bayonne, Cape Liberty. We are staying 3 nights pre-cruise at the Hampton Inn Newark Airport (Hilton Honors members using points for all 3 nights). It is a necessity that we tour Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty on this trip east (we hail from Minnesota). We are flying United into Newark International. Suggestion here about using dial7.com or carmellimo.com will work well for the hotel to port needs but...

Q1: what would you all suggest for non-public transportation to Liberty National Park to pick up the ferry to Ellis Island and then return to the hotel? A car service will cost you at least $50 each way and you will have to commit to a particular time. Price a car service, but also consider renting a car. It's an easy drive from exit 13A or exit 14 to exit 14B. Parking is $7 and there is some turnpike toll. Don't try to do it too early if it's a weekday.

Q2: what are thoughts on the Hampton as a clean, quiet and safe location? Not really familiar with the Hampton Inn, but folks have stayed there with no complaints. Be sure you understand that the only hotel food service is the free breakfast. If you rent a car, take advantage of it to eat dinner before you return to the hotel

Q3: we have plenty of time to make it to EWR for return flight so what could you suggest for transportation from port to EWR? We enjoy walking if safe but are not experienced with metro transportation. It does seem bazaar that with all the cruise ships going in and out of Cape Liberty that transportation between airports/hotels wouldn't be more available at sensible costs. despite all the discussions of public transit, the airport hotels are not well located to use public transit from the port. The trip involves getting a shuttle to the light rail, light rail to Exchange Place, PATH to Newark Penn Station, and NJ Transit Train to Newark Airport Station at a cost of about $18/pp. You can only cut this cost by $6+ by taking the local bus to the airport from Newark Penn Station. I did this trip in Jan, but I selected a downtown Newark hotel to cut out the airport and the train legs of the trip. I'd suggest going on your roll call and trying to find more people to share a car service booking. This company can handle larger groups in vans - Independent driver - 888-816-0973

Thanks again for all the great information here!

Answers above

Aloha,

"I agree with the previous poster about not renting a car, particularly at an early hour of a weekday morning to drive along the "coast" (otherwise known as the potentially bumper to bumper Belt Parkway), paying $14 to cross the Verazzano Bridge, hoping that the Bayonne Bridge is not closed that day forcing you to go across the Goethals Bridge to pick up the NJ Turnpike at exit 13 to go to Exit 14C ($4.00 toll.).

Price a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo from JFK directly to Candlewood Suites as well as to the World Trade Center Path Entrance in downtown Manhattan. That way you can decide if it is worth taking PATH from World Trade one stop to Exchange Place for $2.75/pp and the light rail at Exchange Place two stops for $1.05/pp senior rate ($2.10 if under 62).

You should be fine at Candlewood Suites. Keep in mind that it will cost you either $2.10 or $4.20 to go all the way to Bayonne on the light rail plus $10-12 (best estimate - prices have gone screwy at Cape Liberty recently) to get into the port. A cab to the port will run at least $50 from your hotel, so IMO you've underestimated your savings. Do you have the cab company phone numbers? You can call and ask what the cost will be from the light rail to the port.

The light rail and PATH will definitely save you serious money going into Manhattan after the cruise. If your hotel is in midtown, you would take the light rail to Hoboken and pick up PATH there to go to midtown. That is the easiest transfer point.

Carol"

I called Carmel Limousine and asked about the cost from JFK to Candlewood Suites Jersey City and was told it would break down as follows $78 + $22 tolls +tip, so probably about $120 total.

It appears that the Newport Centre shopping mall is about a 10 minute walk from the Candlewood Suites Jersey City so we could probably drop our bags and walk over to the shopping mall while we wait for check-in time.

My wife is still hesitant about walking from the Candlewood Suites Jersey City, using the light rail from Harborside Light Rail Station to the 34th Street Light Rail Station and catching a cab from the 34th Street Light Rail Station to the Cape Liberty Cruise port. I told her that you said that managing the bags at the light rail stations would not be anything like using the NYC subways and that the entry gates were wide enough not to cause a problem.

She insists that when she checked the Jersey City cab rates from the Candlewood Suites Jersey City to the Cape Liberty Cruise port, it would only cost about $45 including tip. I told her that if she got the "approximate" cost from a Jersey City cab information service, they probably gave her a low-ball estimate.

I'm thinking that since we get into Jersey City the day before the cruise departure, we could do a trial run into NYC using the light rail and PATH as you suggest. That would give her an idea regarding the ease of the light rail and PATH. We've travelled in Japan using the trains including moving our luggage. Anything over 200 yards seems to be a bit troublesome to my wife (we're both 65+).

Our daughter is now visiting from NYC and I'll be talking to her about moving around with luggage. I believe we will be in NY for two days before flying back to Hawaii from JFK, so I'll be asking her for info and advice.

Aloha, rakuroda

Aloha,

I think the boarding time listed for our cruise on Liberty Of The Seas in September was 4:00. Do they send you information regarding our actual boarding time like they did on our Princess cruises. Even though the listed times were like 4:00 our specific times were usually 1 to 3 hours earlier.

Is departure from the ship also staggered?:D

Aloha, rakuroda

I like to get to the port by 11 am. 4 pm is sail time - if you arrive then you will be watching the ship sail off without you!

I think checking out the transportation before you decide is a good plan. The light rail stations are just platforms on the street that are raised high enough to give level access to the trains. There is ramp access to the train. No turnstiles at all on the light rail. You buy your ticket from the machine and validate it and you are good to go. No conductor at all.

PATH has "turnstiles" which automatically open when you use your ticket. They have wide accessible gates that are good with luggage.

I think at minute 1:10 you can see Candlewood suites in the background.

Here's a video from four years ago about how to buy a ticket.

Prices are more now and this particular station is not on the street, but it is much further north in a completely different area.

Edited by 138east

I have read all the posts on this thread and have noted some information for my first trip to New York - very excited :D

My husband and I will arrive at Cape Liberty on the Anthem on 4 November and have booked the Roosevelt Hotel for a 3 night stay in New York. I checked out The Paul hotel referred to in an earlier post but although the price was excellent I was not too sure about the location and as we only have a short time we want to be as central as possible; the Roosevelt seems to be very central and prices are much the same as other hotels in the area. However any other suggestions gratefully received.

I would be grateful for some idiot proof instructions to get us from the port to the hotel (my sense of direction leaves a lot to be desired:o) We will have a roller suitcase each and perhaps only one piece of hand luggage so could manage trains or buses providing we don't need to use steps.

We will be flying back to Edinburgh from Newark airport and if I understand an earlier post there is a bus near the hotel (Times Square?) which would take us to the airport. Our flight is not until early evening so we will have plenty time once we are thrown out of the hotel.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Faye

OK I am looking at two different cruises.

1. Carnival's Splendor on 20th of Sept. We would arrive 1 day early and leave day cruise returns. Out of Manhattan.

or

2. Royal's Liberty on 24th of Sept. Again would arrive 1 day early and leave day we return to port. Out of Cape Liberty.

Seems like both ports are easy to access from various hotels in the area. I thought going out of NJ would be easier, but after reading v4 I'm seeing we could go either way.

We will be flying from Milwaukee and can get a cheap nonstop to NJ and same for return. We will have no car so will need transfers or shuttles or cabs. Just 2 adults.

We are looking for a hotel that would have a shuttle to hotel from airport. I plan on taking a shuttle or cab from port to airport. And a shuttle, if possible, or cab from hotel to port.

I'd like it to be in safe area, have some restaurant options nearby and be clean. Our budget is about $150-200 for the one night. I did check on the Ramada one at trinity($209),Element Harrison - Newark 399 Somerset Street($189), and Courtyard Newark Elizabeth 87 Glimcher Realty Way($209). We don't get in until 5pm so we won't be sightseeing this trip.

So ?s

1. Are both ports easy to cruise from and to? I'm assuming shuttles or cabs to airport after will be easy to snag.

2. We return on a Sunday on Carnival and a Saturday on Royal. Are both days about the same for getting back to airport? Safe flight out time? Suggestions?

3. Are any of those hotels good? Nearby restaurants? I see the Ramada seems to be pretty popular. Any others that may be better?

I've never been the NY or NJ so I am completely lost even after reading this thread. Help! Please! Thanks in advance! And thanks for the info in this thread, I'm just slightly overwhelmed. :)

I have read all the posts on this thread and have noted some information for my first trip to New York - very excited :D

My husband and I will arrive at Cape Liberty on the Anthem on 4 November and have booked the Roosevelt Hotel for a 3 night stay in New York. I checked out The Paul hotel referred to in an earlier post but although the price was excellent I was not too sure about the location and as we only have a short time we want to be as central as possible; the Roosevelt seems to be very central and prices are much the same as other hotels in the area. However any other suggestions gratefully received.

I would be grateful for some idiot proof instructions to get us from the port to the hotel (my sense of direction leaves a lot to be desired:o) We will have a roller suitcase each and perhaps only one piece of hand luggage so could manage trains or buses providing we don't need to use steps.

We will be flying back to Edinburgh from Newark airport and if I understand an earlier post there is a bus near the hotel (Times Square?) which would take us to the airport. Our flight is not until early evening so we will have plenty time once we are thrown out of the hotel.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Faye

Look at the videos on the previous post.

1). When you disembark, you go to the taxi dispatcher and tell them you want to go to the 34th St light rail station and be dropped off at the entrance on Avenue E instead of in the parking lot. That way you won't have to schlep all your stuff up and down on the elevator to cross the tracks.

2). Buy a ticket from the machine and validate it (watch video from previous post). Wait for the train that arrives on the track on the parking lot side. This train goes to Hoboken, which is your destination.

3). In Hoboken you walk towards the station area on the river. I don't remember exactly where the elevator is, but there is an elevator down to the Path Station. Buy a PATH ticket from the machine downstairs in the station (don't buy another light rail ticket). Look for the wide accessible gate and use your ticket to go through it.

4). There are two train choices - 33rd st and World Trade Center. You want to go to 33rd St.

5) at 33rd St ask where the elevator to the street is. At this point your best strategy is to hail a cab to go to your hotel because it is a hike to 45th and Madison.

The airport bus stops near your hotel by Grand Central Station. Chances are you can leave your luggage at the hotel for the day. Tip whoever assists you.

http://coachusa.com

It appears that the Newport Centre shopping mall is about a 10 minute walk from the Candlewood Suites Jersey City so we could probably drop our bags and walk over to the shopping mall while we wait for check-in time.

My wife is still hesitant about walking from the Candlewood Suites Jersey City, using the light rail from Harborside Light Rail Station to the 34th Street Light Rail Station and catching a cab from the 34th Street Light Rail Station to the Cape Liberty Cruise port. I told her that you said that managing the bags at the light rail stations would not be anything like using the NYC subways and that the entry gates were wide enough not to cause a problem.

She insists that when she checked the Jersey City cab rates from the Candlewood Suites Jersey City to the Cape Liberty Cruise port, it would only cost about $45 including tip. I told her that if she got the "approximate" cost from a Jersey City cab information service, they probably gave her a low-ball estimate.

I'm thinking that since we get into Jersey City the day before the cruise departure, we could do a trial run into NYC using the light rail and PATH as you suggest. That would give her an idea regarding the ease of the light rail and PATH. We've travelled in Japan using the trains including moving our luggage. Anything over 200 yards seems to be a bit troublesome to my wife (we're both 65+).

rakuroda ~

If I may just jump in here to reinforce Carol's excellent advice about using the light rail to Bayonne, and also to help allay your wife's concerns...

My wife & I (more or less in your age group) both use the light rail and the PATH trains for routine trips on a regular basis. And we've taken the light rail between Hoboken to Bayonne, with luggage, for several cruises out of Cape Liberty, taking a taxi between 34th Street and the cruise terminal.

As Carol says, there are no gates or turnstiles at the light rail platforms--they're open platforms just slightly above ground level. (And no steps/stairs either, just a short, gentle ramp up to the platform level.) The light rail train stops at platform level; you merely have to ease your luggage over a gap of a few inches between the platform and the doorway of the train.

The following short video should give you & your wife a good idea of the light rail system. It shows trains at the Harborside Financial Center platform; the Candlewood Suites is the reddish-and-white building in the middle of the background at the beginning of the video:

The Newport Centre Mall is about a 10- to 15-minute walk from the Candlewood Suites--or, a 4-minute ride on the light rail, which would give you a good preview in person so you can decide for yourselves if you want to use it for traveling from your hotel to Bayonne on embarkation day.:)

rakuroda ~

If I may just jump in here to reinforce Carol's excellent advice about using the light rail to Bayonne, and also to help allay your wife's concerns...

My wife & I (more or less in your age group) both use the light rail and the PATH trains for routine trips on a regular basis. And we've taken the light rail between Hoboken to Bayonne, with luggage, for several cruises out of Cape Liberty, taking a taxi between 34th Street and the cruise terminal.

As Carol says, there are no gates or turnstiles at the light rail platforms--they're open platforms just slightly above ground level. (And no steps/stairs either, just a short, gentle ramp up to the platform level.) The light rail train stops at platform level; you merely have to ease your luggage over a gap of a few inches between the platform and the doorway of the train.

The following short video should give you & your wife a good idea of the light rail system. It shows trains at the Harborside Financial Center platform; the Candlewood Suites is the reddish-and-white building in the middle of the background at the beginning of the video:

The Newport Centre Mall is about a 10- to 15-minute walk from the Candlewood Suites--or, a 4-minute ride on a the light rail, which would give you a good preview in person so you can decide for yourselves if you want to use it for traveling from your hotel to Bayonne on embarkation day.:)

If you're a senior, the light rail is $1.05. A cheap buy if you don't want to walk.

Here are the cab companies in Bayonne to call to go into the port.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

OK I am looking at two different cruises.

1. Carnival's Splendor on 20th of Sept. We would arrive 1 day early and leave day cruise returns. Out of Manhattan.

or

2. Royal's Liberty on 24th of Sept. Again would arrive 1 day early and leave day we return to port. Out of Cape Liberty.

Seems like both ports are easy to access from various hotels in the area. I thought going out of NJ would be easier, but after reading v4 I'm seeing we could go either way.

We will be flying from Milwaukee and can get a cheap nonstop to NJ and same for return. We will have no car so will need transfers or shuttles or cabs. Just 2 adults.

We are looking for a hotel that would have a shuttle to hotel from airport. I plan on taking a shuttle or cab from port to airport. And a shuttle, if possible, or cab from hotel to port.

I'd like it to be in safe area, have some restaurant options nearby and be clean. Our budget is about $150-200 for the one night. I did check on the Ramada one at trinity($209),Element Harrison - Newark 399 Somerset Street($189), and Courtyard Newark Elizabeth 87 Glimcher Realty Way($209). We don't get in until 5pm so we won't be sightseeing this trip.

So ?s

1. Are both ports easy to cruise from and to? I'm assuming shuttles or cabs to airport after will be easy to snag.

2. We return on a Sunday on Carnival and a Saturday on Royal. Are both days about the same for getting back to airport? Safe flight out time? Suggestions?

3. Are any of those hotels good? Nearby restaurants? I see the Ramada seems to be pretty popular. Any others that may be better?

I've never been the NY or NJ so I am completely lost even after reading this thread. Help! Please! Thanks in advance! And thanks for the info in this thread, I'm just slightly overwhelmed. :)

With the exception of the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way, there are no restaurant choices other than the hotel itself or possibly another hotel in the sane enclave. On Glimcher Realty Way there us a Ruby Tuesday's and an IHOP and at the Jersey Gardens Mall there is an Applebee's and a Johnny Rockets and a food court.

If you book the park/sleep through Trinity you will get round trip port transportation and a room for $209 tax included. This is a good deal because it will now cost you at least $55 each way to go to and from the port. The Ramada has a restaurant and a popular sports bar called Teddy's and the Doubletree next door has a restaurant and probably a bar as well.

For comparison, be sure you look at the hotel rates with tax. I believe you posted two rates without tax and the one tax included rate.

Look at the cruise packages at Embassy Suites and Country Inns on Glimcher Realty Way.

There are no shuttles to the Manhattan Cruiseport. You have to get yourself into Manhattan by car service (not a taxi) or airport bus or train to the city and cab to the port.

Ok so I am thinking the Embassy is more our speed. I can get it for $216 with transport to and from hotel. This is the one on Glimcher Realty Way. The park, go and stay is showing unavailable(going to call them in the morning and if it is close in theory we could get shuttle to and from hotel and shuttle to and from port and just not have a car, would depend on rate compared to getting transportation), but since we won't have a car I'm not sure it would be a better rate anyhow.

So from that area would we be cheaper with a private car to port or a taxi, what is expected ballpark rate. I see you said $55 but I think that was for in Manhattan. Also from port back to ewr what would be expected cost for a taxi which I'm assuming is easiest method.

I am leaning toward the Royal out of Cape Liberty if that helps.

Thanks Much 138East!!! :)

I'm trying to get up to speed on NJ and NY. I am excited, closest I've gotten to those to is DC and PA. Wish I'd have more time for sightseeing, but that will be another trip. This one is with my mom who is itching to go on a vacation with me. Is very last min, doing cruise out of TX in Aug so I'm trying to keep two trips straight. LOL

:D Aloha,

I just looked at the Embassy Suites on Glimcher Realty Way again and this time I noted that the package with the apparent transfer to the Cape Liberty Crusie port isn't offered after August 13th. :(

Since my cruise is in Sept. apparently the offer isn't available for my cruise.:(

Aloha, :D

I called the Embassy Suites Newark Airport on Glimcher and two people confirmed they DO NOT offer a cruise package. WOW I'm baffled by the various answers. LOL You can however park your car there but it is at your own risk and she said it was free. They also said it will cost about $60 to travel to the port. I'm not sure I would trust ANYTHING they told me. LOL The only free shuttle they offer is to and from the airport.

This was calling the hotel directly, never thought about asking their names, might be good to have people do that due to the various answers.

Now when called Hhilton honors she was 100% completely clueless she just didn't get past offering an airport shuttle not understanding I was asking about a cruise shuttle. :P

So that's the scoop I got.

Not a silly question, but.... Written directions are better because the GPS doesn't always send you the right way. Where are you coming from? These directions work unless you are coming from Staten Island.

To answer your question:

Cape Liberty Cruise Port

14 Port Terminal Boulevard

Bayonne NJ 07002-5038

Phone: 201-823-3737

Fax: 201-823-3878

Directions from NJ Turnpike Exit 14A into Cape Liberty

The ramp is straight across the toll plaza. Here's a video. No real street signs.

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive.

Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Are Carols excellent driving instructions still the same? I know they are doing lots of construction in the area so just wondering. Has anyone driven there within the last several weeks? How was it getting off the TPKE with the construction? What time would you recommend leaving? We are on the Summit this Sunday.

Are Carols excellent driving instructions still the same? I know they are doing lots of construction in the area so just wondering. Has anyone driven there within the last several weeks? How was it getting off the TPKE with the construction? What time would you recommend leaving? We are on the Summit this Sunday.

Yes...no issues...I was there the last 2 Sundays...this past one, I arrived around 8-9 AM...Zero traffic on the Tpke, the construction is after the toll plaza when you LEAVE so there was nothing exiting the Tpke to the pier, except a little bit on the side road you'll take (they're likely going to repave the road and take out the huge bumps...) and some on the road into the port itself..

I arrived close to prime debark time and there was no delay.

Where are you coming from ? Can't tell you when to leave if I don't know where you're starting!!

Are you coming up from VA Sunday? Leave around 6 to arrive by 11 allowing for delays on the way. If you're coming the day before, leave around 10 if you'll be near the pier...

Edited by megr1125

Yes...no issues...I was there the last 2 Sundays...this past one, I arrived around 8-9 AM...Zero traffic on the Tpke, the construction is after the toll plaza when you LEAVE so there was nothing exiting the Tpke to the pier, except a little bit on the side road you'll take (they're likely going to repave the road and take out the huge bumps...) and some on the road into the port itself..

I arrived close to prime debark time and there was no delay.

Where are you coming from ? Can't tell you when to leave if I don't know where you're starting!!

Are you coming up from VA Sunday? Leave around 6 to arrive by 11 allowing for delays on the way. If you're coming the day before, leave around 10 if you'll be near the pier...

There is NO way in a million years I would take the chance driving up on Sunday!!! I don't want to take the chance on traffic so we are driving up from DC area on Saturday & staying at Residence Inn in Woodbridge exit 10 off Tpke. Am a New York native so know the NY area well & go back & forth to NY/DC a lot. Have only lived in DC a few years so lived over half century in NY.I know traffic in the whole area (it's actually worse in DC) can be bad at times. Read my review I posted on the GWB 2 weeks ago- took me over 1.5 hours from the Bruckner to get over the bridge at noon time on a weekday!

So I thought we would leave Woodbridge around 9:30am & beat most of the crowd. I would rather sit in the Celebrity check in area than be caught in traffic!

Good plan?