CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

We are Canadian and have been told that we can get an EZ Pass for our frequent trips into the US, we never seem to have the right change for the tolls. :rolleyes: This is a great idea for us and my question to you is, will we be able to use this pass for crossing the bridges in NJ, in particular the one that costs $16, or will that be an additional cost?

We are Canadian and have been told that we can get an EZ Pass for our frequent trips into the US, we never seem to have the right change for the tolls. :rolleyes: This is a great idea for us and my question to you is, will we be able to use this pass for crossing the bridges in NJ, in particular the one that costs $16, or will that be an additional cost?

If you can get an EZ Pass, I know you can use it in NY, NJ, and all the New England states. I got my first EZ Pass to use on our drives to NY and NJ. I almost never use it here in MA except for the tunnel to Logan Airport. It will cover the George Washington Bridge toll, which is currently $14, but less at certain times with an EZ Pass.

Canadian Provinces are listed on this NY E-Z Pass website:

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/signup/facility.shtml

Unless something has changed, get the E-Z Pass from the state which will give you the most savings in tolls. For example, we are VA residents but purchased a PA E-Z Pass since we do most of our toll driving in that state.

We still us it in NJ when traveling to Cape Liberty, we just don't get the toll discounts in NJ that NJ E-Z Pass holders get. Conversely, NJ E-Z Pass holders don't get discounts on the PA Turnpike.

If you can get an EZ Pass, I know you can use it in NY, NJ, and all the New England states. I got my first EZ Pass to use on our drives to NY and NJ. I almost never use it here in MA except for the tunnel to Logan Airport. It will cover the George Washington Bridge toll, which is currently $14, but less at certain times with an EZ Pass.

Canadian Provinces are listed on this NY E-Z Pass website:

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/signup/facility.shtml

Unless something has changed' date=' get the E-Z Pass from the state which will give you the most savings in tolls. For example, we are VA residents but purchased a PA E-Z Pass since we do most of our toll driving in that state.

We still us it in NJ when traveling to Cape Liberty, we just don't get the toll discounts in NJ that NJ E-Z Pass holders get. Conversely, NJ E-Z Pass holders don't get discounts on the PA Turnpike.[/quote']

Thanks for the quick replies. We ordered our EZ Pass from NY since we spend most of our time in the US there.

I've booked Country Inn for the night of 9/23. I didn't book a transfer to Cape Liberty. I don't need round trip transportation as I'll be leaving Liberty on an excursion. That being said, I need to get to Cape Liberty the morning of the 24th. Does anyone have info regarding a good car service? I would consider the hotel shuttle, but I'm not sure how often that runs.

Thank you all in advance. I really need some advice. :)

I've booked Country Inn for the night of 9/23. I didn't book a transfer to Cape Liberty. I don't need round trip transportation as I'll be leaving Liberty on an excursion. That being said, I need to get to Cape Liberty the morning of the 24th. Does anyone have info regarding a good car service? I would consider the hotel shuttle, but I'm not sure how often that runs.

Thank you all in advance. I really need some advice. :)

Call Country Inns during the day during the week and see what they can offer you one way to the port. What they do is to figure out how many people they have about a week before the cruise and order a vehicle that will accommodate everyone and their luggage. Sometimes it's a lot of folks and sometimes not. It can be a mass mob scene in the lobby, but they will load everyone up and take you off to the port. They usually go at noon, but other times could be offered.

Also price transportation with Dial7 and Carmellimo. For a more budget service call Independent driver - 888-816-0973

Look at all the prices and decide which is best for you.

We've driven to Cape Liberty many times from one of the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way, and we'll be doing this again in September for our upcoming Liberty of the Seas cruise.

For our last cruise out of Bayonne a year and a half ago, there was no construction on the Bayonne Bridge and it was easy to follow Carol's excellent directions to the port.

Now it seems that we may run into a random closure of the bridge either on our September 24 sail date or for our return on October 3.

Carol....would you be able to give us alternate directions to Cape Liberty from Glimcher Realty Way? I saw mention of the Goethal's Bridge when I googled the Bayonne Bridge construction project but have no idea how to get there or to the port from there.

Many, many thanks in advance....you are always so helpful to everyone!

Kathy

We've driven to Cape Liberty many times from one of the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way, and we'll be doing this again in September for our upcoming Liberty of the Seas cruise.

For our last cruise out of Bayonne a year and a half ago, there was no construction on the Bayonne Bridge and it was easy to follow Carol's excellent directions to the port.

Now it seems that we may run into a random closure of the bridge either on our September 24 sail date or for our return on October 3.

Carol....would you be able to give us alternate directions to Cape Liberty from Glimcher Realty Way? I saw mention of the Goethal's Bridge when I googled the Bayonne Bridge construction project but have no idea how to get there or to the port from there.

Many, many thanks in advance....you are always so helpful to everyone!

Kathy

Kathy,

You do not cross the Bayonne Bridge to get from Glimcher Realty Way to Cape Liberty. The Bayonne Bridge connects Staten Island to Bayonne, so its closures only affect folks coming across the Verazanno Bridge from Brooklyn or the folks coming directly from Staten Isand.

Kathy,

You do not cross the Bayonne Bridge to get from Glimcher Realty Way to Cape Liberty. The Bayonne Bridge connects Staten Island to Bayonne, so its closures only affect folks coming across the Verazanno Bridge from Brooklyn or the folks coming directly from Staten Isand.

That's awesome news! I remember that we cross a bridge (a short one, I think) and I just assumed that was the Bayonne Bridge. So it sounds like we just get to the pier once again following your previously posted awesome directions :) Thanks so much for answering!

Kathy

We are sailing on the Anthem Next year. We want to spend 4 or 5 days touring the attractions in Manhattan and visit Statue of Liberty. Our quandary is do we stay in Newark near the airport and travel back and forth to Manhattan and other attractions each day or stay in Manhattan and then make our way to Cape Liberty on Thursday. Our only concern is transportation from Times Square to Cape Liberty. Availability and travel time to the port. Don't want to lug the luggage. Metro Trains in Europe have areas on each car for luggage but America trains seem only to have seats and large suitcase don't fit well.

Plenty of time to plan but looking for a starting point in the Big City

We are sailing on the Anthem Next year. We want to spend 4 or 5 days touring the attractions in Manhattan and visit Statue of Liberty. Our quandary is do we stay in Newark near the airport and travel back and forth to Manhattan and other attractions each day or stay in Manhattan and then make our way to Cape Liberty on Thursday. Our only concern is transportation from Times Square to Cape Liberty. Availability and travel time to the port. Don't want to lug the luggage. Metro Trains in Europe have areas on each car for luggage but America trains seem only to have seats and large suitcase don't fit well.

Plenty of time to plan but looking for a starting point in the Big City

Your starting point is telling us what you can pay for a hotel, how many people you are, and any other special requirements like bed size.

My initial reaction is that you are perfect candidates to stay in the Newport area of Jersey City to keep hotel and transportation costs down while having easy access to both midtown and downtown NYC on PATH. This would also give you the chance to take the light rail to Bayonne - no luggage areas, but really not necessary on an empty train.

We are sailing on Liberty of the Seas on 10/22. Flying in from Charleston, SC on Jet Blue. The reason we chose JFK is because it's the least expensive plus Jet Blue's flights from Newark after the cruise are extremely early (9:00 a.m.) and I don't feel we would make it. My husband and I know nothing about New York and even less about New Jersey. We are arriving in New York on 10/21 so we can see the Freedom (?) Tower and the 9/11 museum. But I'm so confused about where JFK airport is in conjunction with the sights we want to see plus how to get to the port from there that I am making myself sick worrying about it. We could fly into Newark for $50 more but there is still going to be a cost from Newark to the port. I don't know if it would be much more to get transportation from JFK than it would EWR. Can anyone help, please? I'm not even excited about the cruise anymore because this has me so stressed.

We are sailing on Liberty of the Seas on 10/22. Flying in from Charleston, SC on Jet Blue. The reason we chose JFK is because it's the least expensive plus Jet Blue's flights from Newark after the cruise are extremely early (9:00 a.m.) and I don't feel we would make it. My husband and I know nothing about New York and even less about New Jersey. We are arriving in New York on 10/21 so we can see the Freedom (?) Tower and the 9/11 museum. But I'm so confused about where JFK airport is in conjunction with the sights we want to see plus how to get to the port from there that I am making myself sick worrying about it. We could fly into Newark for $50 more but there is still going to be a cost from Newark to the port. I don't know if it would be much more to get transportation from JFK than it would EWR. Can anyone help, please? I'm not even excited about the cruise anymore because this has me so stressed.

Relax and give us more details.

What time does your flight arrive on 10/21?

Have you booked a hotel? What is your hotel budget? NY is going to be expensive on a Wed in Oct, so you need to be realistic.

Unfortunately JFK Airport is the furthest airport from CaPe Liberty. Newark Airport would be a better choice for arriving.

Thank you for responding so quickly. Our flight arrives at 11:30 a.m. We don't need to stay in New York; I just want to see a little of it. I don't care where we spend the night. As far as hotel budget we have points from some hotel programs and free anniversary nights with Hyatt but could pay $200 or thereabouts. I took some advice I read on this board and looked up fares on Carmel from JFK to the port and it was $83 but not sure if that's correct.

Thank you for responding so quickly. Our flight arrives at 11:30 a.m. We don't need to stay in New York; I just want to see a little of it. I don't care where we spend the night. As far as hotel budget we have points from some hotel programs and free anniversary nights with Hyatt but could pay $200 or thereabouts. I took some advice I read on this board and looked up fares on Carmel from JFK to the port and it was $83 but not sure if that's correct.

First is some sort of hotel plan. Look at the Hyatt in Jersey City first. Then see if you can use hotel points in either downtown Manhattan or Jersey City (Courtyard, Doubletree, Westin). When you fly in you have to get somewhere to ditch your luggage and somewhere that will give you reasonable access to lower Manhattan. You don't want to stay at JFK - pay the money from the beginning to get you to NJ or lower Manhattan.

$200 will not get you a Manhattan hotel room on a Wed night. If you can't use points, you need to be realistic about where you can stay and that will be Newark Airport or Newark. Given your budget, I would suggest looking at the a Robert Treat in downtown Newark. Go from JFK to Newark by car service. Ditch your luggage. Take the hotel shuttle the few blocks to Newark Penn Station and take PATH to the World Trade Center to see the 911 memorial area.

It will cost you about $55 to get to the port from downtown Newark. However, if you can roll your luggage, there is an easy public transit option via PATH to Exchange Place ($2.75/pp), light rail to Bayonne ($2.10/pp), and cab into the port $10-12.

Thanks so much. We don't want to stay in Manhattan or anywhere in NY for that matter so I like the idea of taking the car service to a hotel in New Jersey and dumping the luggage and taking public transportation back to the big city. What do you think of Secaucus? I saw a Hyatt Place that got very good reviews. Or if you know of a hotel that offers shuttle, free or otherwise, to the port, that would be good too. Like I've said, I don't care where we sleep as long as it's somewhat decent and bug free. What are your opinions on Uber for a short trip, for example from the hotel to the Cape Liberty? Thanks again. I'm so glad you're on this board! :)

Scratch all of that from above (I don't know how to edit). I love the Jersey City suggestion! We'll just take a car service from JFK to a hotel in Jersey City that's close to the PATH, as you said. That takes care of that issue. Looks like there are several hotels to choose from. Now, getting to the port from Jersey City. Suggestions?

Thank you. Last question. I promise. If I inquire at the front desk of whichever hotel we decide on and ask them for directions to the "light rail," they will know what I mean?

I wish I could properly put into words how much you've helped me. Thank you doesn't begin to express it. I wouldn't have found the car service; I wouldn't have known about taking PATH back into the city. We probably would have gotten to our room and just stayed there until the next morning for fear of trying to navigate on our own. You can't imagine how much stress you've alleviated. So for lack of more appropriate words I will just say thank you so very much.

Thank you. Last question. I promise. If I inquire at the front desk of whichever hotel we decide on and ask them for directions to the "light rail," they will know what I mean?

I wish I could properly put into words how much you've helped me. Thank you doesn't begin to express it. I wouldn't have found the car service; I wouldn't have known about taking PATH back into the city. We probably would have gotten to our room and just stayed there until the next morning for fear of trying to navigate on our own. You can't imagine how much stress you've alleviated. So for lack of more appropriate words I will just say thank you so very much.

Stay with us a bit. Have you looked at the Jersey City hotels in the Newport area to see if you can use points? If you can't use points, they are more than your budget except for Candlewood Suites. Depending on where you stay, you need some more details.

Here's the PATH map. http://www.panynj.gov/path/pdf/path-map-schedule-10-13.pdf

Here's the light rail map - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

Here's the big NJ public transit rail and light rail map - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

If I inquire at the front desk of whichever hotel we decide on and ask them for directions to the "light rail," they will know what I mean?

Yes indeed! In fact, all the main Jersey City hotels are within very short walking distance of a light rail stop. (See the light rail pdf map that Carol linked in her previous response.) The light rail line runs right behind the Westin, the DoubleTree, and Candlewood Suites--the Harsimus Cove stop is literally around the corner from the DoubleTree, and a block or so from the Westin; the Harborside stop is a three-minute walk from Candlewood Suites. The Hyatt Regency is one block from the Exchange Place stop, and the Courtyard is a couple of blocks from the Newport stop.

For quick and easy access to Manhattan, the Exchange Place PATH station is just outside the entrance of the Hyatt Regency, and the Newport PATH station is next door to the Courtyard. From the DoubleTree and the Westin, the Newport PATH station is about a 5- to 10-minute walk straight along Washington Boulevard.

Edited by Post Captain

Carol,

We are driving in on I-80 from Ohio and was thinking of staying at a Hyatt House in Parsippany, NJ. We are on the Liberty 10/3/15 cruise. Curious on a couple things: 1) I have Hyatt points, so is their a better Hyatt to stay at that is closer or maybe less hassle? 2) Any cheaper options I should consider for parking at Cape Liberty port?

Thank you in advance!

Kyle

Carol,

We are driving in on I-80 from Ohio and was thinking of staying at a Hyatt House in Parsippany, NJ. We are on the Liberty 10/3/15 cruise. Curious on a couple things: 1) I have Hyatt points, so is their a better Hyatt to stay at that is closer or maybe less hassle? 2) Any cheaper options I should consider for parking at Cape Liberty port?

Thank you in advance!

Kyle

You don't want to mess with the alternate parking place...just park at the pier, and the new garage SHOULD be open by then.

As for Parsippany, it's a MUCH nicer area than around the airport....and unless you want to head into Jersey City or Hoboken, you're better off at the hotel you mentioned....plus you'll have plenty of dining choices, as well as shopping in case you've forgotten anything...