CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

I arrived about 9:45 in June and drove through to the 911 memorial, which I had never seen up close in all the times I sailed from CL. It was very nice and I got some good pictures of the front of the ship.

When I drove out I just told the guy directing traffic I wanted to go to the parking and he got me through the waiting traffic.

Anyone know how/where to buy wine after flying into Newark before our cruise? We are staying one night at the Staten Island Garden Inn. We had planned to get some at the airport at Vino Volo but they do not have a location there.

Margee

Not sure this will help, but there is a liquor store in the strip mall right near/next to Cape Liberty. I am just wondering, (maybe everyone on the shuttle from your hotel to CL will want t stop & pick up wine!! #optimistic), maybe the shuttle driver will stop there for you. Obviously though, this is no guarantee, but hey it is an alternate suggestion, if all else fails.

Sorry if this has been asked but I couldn't quickly find it...I have read several things about safety...does anyone know if it is ok to walk around the area in Elizabeth near the Courtyard Marriott on Glimcher? DH found a big lots near there that he thinks we could walk over to and get water or anything else we may forget. We like to stay near a store as you just never know if you might forget something or something goes missing from the luggage or the luggage itself. Also saw that there is a mall near by that states it has a Max Mart or something in it that sells, snacks and other convenience items and toiletries...is this store still there and would they sell a case of water? DH is particular about his water and likes to pick up a case before we board the ship. I like being near a store in case something is lost or is forgotten and we need to grab it.

Google earth the area. It is really not a walk-around location. It is a very industrial area. I am very familiar with the Jersey Gardens outlet mall (& vicinity) as I do shop there frequently. There is a store called METRO MART inside the outlet mall (Convenience Store. NYC souvenirs, Snacks, toiletries, over the counter drugs, coffee, & more! - This is what they list.) I can't say I ever stopped into this convenience store inside the mall, so I can not vouch for what they sell.

Google earth the area. It is really not a walk-around location. It is a very industrial area. I am very familiar with the Jersey Gardens outlet mall (& vicinity) as I do shop there frequently. There is a store called METRO MART inside the outlet mall (Convenience Store. NYC souvenirs, Snacks, toiletries, over the counter drugs, coffee, & more! - This is what they list.) I can't say I ever stopped into this convenience store inside the mall, so I can not vouch for what they sell.

CruiseDivaNJ thank you. If you happen to go to the mall would you mind checking out that Metro Mart if you have some spare time? We decided this is most likely where we will stay as my DH work can get us a nice discount on one of the hotels in that little area and we will try the Metro Mart for water, but at least we are near some stores for the just in case stuff. :)

Not sure this will help, but there is a liquor store in the strip mall right near/next to Cape Liberty. I am just wondering, (maybe everyone on the shuttle from your hotel to CL will want t stop & pick up wine!! #optimistic), maybe the shuttle driver will stop there for you. Obviously though, this is no guarantee, but hey it is an alternate suggestion, if all else fails.

That's an interesting suggestion. I would qualify the description of the strip mall being "right near/next to Cape Liberty". It's 2.2+ miles and is not walkable ( you are not supposed to walk into the port on foot). The only way to do it is if you have transportation that will stop and wait for you.

CruiseDivaNJ thank you. If you happen to go to the mall would you mind checking out that Metro Mart if you have some spare time? We decided this is most likely where we will stay as my DH work can get us a nice discount on one of the hotels in that little area and we will try the Metro Mart for water, but at least we are near some stores for the just in case stuff. :)

cruzrbachoua, Next time I am there I will be happy to check out the store & post pictures. I know all about "fussy about drinking water". :) :)

That's an interesting suggestion. I would qualify the description of the strip mall being "right near/next to Cape Liberty". It's 2.2+ miles and is not walkable ( you are not supposed to walk into the port on foot). The only way to do it is if you have transportation that will stop and wait for you.

Carol, Re reading my suggestion it was targeting folks using a shuttle (, taxi) but definitely a means of transportation and not any one walking in on foot. I don't recall suggesting anyone can walk or should walk, I'm sorry if I did. I can't find it. :)

For anyone curious, hope this visual helps!

1cape%20liberty%20and%20south%20cove%20commons%20distance%20on%20map_zpskwqtqqcg.jpg

Edited by CruiseDivaNJ

cruzrbachoua, Next time I am there I will be happy to check out the store & post pictures. I know all about "fussy about drinking water". :) :)

Carol, Re reading my suggestion it was targeting folks using a shuttle (, taxi) but definitely a means of transportation and not any one walking in on foot. I don't recall suggesting anyone can walk or should walk, I'm sorry if I did. I can't find it. :)

No problem. I just didn't want the OP to get any sort of impression that the possible wine stop was right at the pier. You did NOT mention walking, but some folks might think that a wine store next to the pier would mean you could walk to the pier, like the shopping center at Havensight in St Thomas. Folks who haven't sailed out of Bayonne have no clue about what to expect from the area.

No problem. I just didn't want the OP to get any sort of impression that the possible wine stop was right at the pier. You did NOT mention walking, but some folks might think that a wine store next to the pier would mean you could walk to the pier, like the shopping center at Havensight in St Thomas. Folks who haven't sailed out of Bayonne have no clue about what to expect from the area.

LOL Re reading my post I can see how "next to" can be looked at like Havensight!!:) Next up, right at Cape Liberty, a drive-thru wine store along Port Terminal Blvd (joking)!

:D

QUOTE]

CruiseDivaNJ oh that would be fabulous! I am still subscribed to the thread so I will see it when it is updated. Yes it is mainly DH that is the picky one...although it does save us money not buying those bottled waters on board the ship to take off into port. When we were in NY couple years ago we found a lovely water called NYC or something like that. I actually kept one of the sleeves that go around the bottle as DH was soo happy with it that way I had it in my memory book so if we every went back I knew right away what to get him. LOL. We also tried that black water BLK (I think).....it was interesting!

Hello cruising from ct. Looking for the best\cheapest was to get to the pier. Cruising on the breakaway in October. Leaving on a Sunday. Only 2 hours away in Connecticut. Did anyone have any luck parking a couple blocks away or taking the train? Or maybe staying at a park and ride hotel? Any advise appreciated.

Hello cruising from ct. Looking for the best\cheapest was to get to the pier. Cruising on the breakaway in October. Leaving on a Sunday. Only 2 hours away in Connecticut. Did anyone have any luck parking a couple blocks away or taking the train? Or maybe staying at a park and ride hotel? Any advise appreciated.

The least expensive park and ride hotel will run at least $335. For that money you can drive in from CT and park at the pier ($280). Where would you take the train from? What would it cost to park at the CT train station and is it even possible to do?

I'm not sure about parking a couple of blocks from the pier. Basically you turn your car over to a garage for 7 days and they can move it around or store it up on a parking lift.

Another option is parking at Port Imperial for $16/day and taking the ferry across to 39th St ($9/pp each way). From 39th St you can take the free ferry bus to get within several blocks of the pier, you can walk to the pier, or you can take a cab. Someone just posted about having a good experience doing this.

ok thanks. It would be getting a ride 1hr to New Haven and then needing a cab from Penn station. (total under $150.) Might be a hassle with luggage. We could also take a bus for $110 each round trip, but the times are not great. So that would be $220, plus I'm assuming plus tip.

ok thanks. It would be getting a ride 1hr to New Haven and then needing a cab from Penn station. (total under $150.) Might be a hassle with luggage. We could also take a bus for $110 each round trip, but the times are not great. So that would be $220, plus I'm assuming plus tip.

If you're talking Academy Bus, you really don't have to tip more than $1/bag if at all.

If you take the train from New Haven, get on the front car so you have a shorter walk in Grand Central.

There's no easy solution. I've done it all from the Boston area to Cape Liberty. I've done Metro North to Grand Central to PATH to the light rail to CL. I've done Academy bus to CL. I've done Amtrak to Newark, stayed overnight, and done PATH/light rail to CL. And I've driven down at parked at the port.

Carol-- wanted to let you know that your driving directions were fantastic!! Thank you!

I'm leaving from Port Liberty for the first time ever tomorrow. Getting dropped off by hubby who insists we don't need the directions he's got his GPS. (Don't worry got them in my bag)[emoji14]

Hello all. I'm sure that the info is here somewhere, but I am somewhat challenged to locate it. What is the most reasonably priced option from Cape Liberty to LGA. We are arriving on the Anthem on Nov. 4. There are 2 of us with 2 lglgbags and 2 carry-ons. Thanks in advance for your info.

Hello all. I'm sure that the info is here somewhere, but I am somewhat challenged to locate it. What is the most reasonably priced option from Cape Liberty to LGA. We are arriving on the Anthem on Nov. 4. There are 2 of us with 2 lglgbags and 2 carry-ons. Thanks in advance for your info.

I'm challenged - what are lglgbags?

My gut feeling is that you are referring to very large bags, so your only option is to book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo unless you are willing to explore the public transit world.

I'm challenged - what are lglgbags?

My gut feeling is that you are referring to very large bags, so your only option is to book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo unless you are willing to explore the public transit world.

My bad. Tablet likes to mess with my messages. We have 2 large bags and 2 carry-on bags. Thanks for the info, I will look into these companies.

Yes, I have been finding the same thing. We just booked this cruise last week. Even when you check the cruise port listing of ships coming in and what days, Caribbean Princess is not listed. I had signed up to get to the Newark Airport via ship transfer, but I'm reading some (old) posts that it's faster to just take a taxi...

I have been receiving lots of assistance from fellow cruisers on the thread "Info from Cape Liberty to LaGuardia". We arrive at Cape Liberty on the Caribbean Princess on Oct. 11/15 and need our flight from LGA is at 12:30pm. Hoping the traffic is reasonable on a Sunday morning.

Yes, I have been finding the same thing. We just booked this cruise last week. Even when you check the cruise port listing of ships coming in and what days, Caribbean Princess is not listed. I had signed up to get to the Newark Airport via ship transfer, but I'm reading some (old) posts that it's faster to just take a taxi...

After we made our arrangements for our transfers from Cape Liberty to LGA I received an email to inform me they had no record of the Caribbean Princess arriving there. I double checked with Princess and wrote back to inform them that it was arriving there due to a change a short while back. I have since spoke with them to confirm my final arrangements and there was no mention of the confusion.