CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

We prefer to stay in the $250 - 300 range, which is why we are thinking it is best to stay in NJ. Additionally, we are concerned about the length of time that travel from Manhattan to NJ will take on a Thursday morning. The last time we sailed on Saturday.

Are the properties on Frontage Road considered Newark Airport or downtown Newark? Safety and parking are critical factors, and we prefer self-parking. We are travelling in October.

To summarize, we will drive to NJ and either park at the airport and take airport transit to midtown and stay in Manhattan, travelling back to NJ on the morning we sail. OR we will drive to NJ, park at a NJ hotel, take transit into Manhattan for the day and then travel back to the NJ hotel. We want to be in midtown and prefer not taking the subway in Manhattan. A train to lower Manhattan is not a good choice for us. We are willing to walk from Penn Station or Grand Central.

What would you recommend as the best options?

Sorry. I'm a bit confused. I need the exact dates you require a hotel room. How many people? (Did you post you are traveling with small children?). Where are you going to park your car for the duration of the cruise?

The properties on Frontage Road are considered Newark Airport. The parking has a security gate and is attended 7x24. Folks are coming and going from this area 7x24. It is self parking.

With the train you can take the hotel shuttle to the P4 Airtrain station, take the free Airtrain to the Newark Airport Station, and the train to Manhattan for $13/pp adults each way. If you have kids with you, it's more cost effective and time effective I to take a cab to Newark Penn Station where the train to NY is $5.50/pp adults each way.

Sorry. I'm a bit confused. I need the exact dates you require a hotel room. How many people? (Did you post you are traveling with small children?). Where are you going to park your car for the duration of the cruise?

The properties on Frontage Road are considered Newark Airport. The parking has a security gate and is attended 7x24. Folks are coming and going from this area 7x24. It is self parking.

With the train you can take the hotel shuttle to the P4 Airtrain station, take the free Airtrain to the Newark Airport Station, and the train to Manhattan for $13/pp adults each way. If you have kids with you, it's more cost effective and time effective I to take a cab to Newark Penn Station where the train to NY is $5.50/pp adults each way.

There are 2 adults, no children. We will park at the port for the duration of the cruise. Why does the date of the hotel matter?

Where does the train to Manhattan for $13 / pp each way arrive? I thought this was the train to lower Manhattan. We want to go to midtown.

There are 2 adults, no children. We will park at the port for the duration of the cruise. Why does the date of the hotel matter?

Where does the train to Manhattan for $13 / pp each way arrive? I thought this was the train to lower Manhattan. We want to go to midtown.

Hotel rates depend on the exact date. I can't advise you if I don't know your exact date.

"Train" is NJ transit and it arrives at New York Penn Station in midtown. "PATH" is a subway train that goes to World Trade in lower Manhattan.

If you find a Manhattan hotel and you just need to park your car overnight, there are other places to park overnight that don't involve going to a hotel at the airport and taking a hotel shuttle, Airtrain and train from Newark Airport to NY Penn Station.

Hotel rates depend on the exact date. I can't advise you if I don't know your exact date.

"Train" is NJ transit and it arrives at New York Penn Station in midtown. "PATH" is a subway train that goes to World Trade in lower Manhattan.

If you find a Manhattan hotel and you just need to park your car overnight, there are other places to park overnight that don't involve going to a hotel at the airport and taking a hotel shuttle, Airtrain and train from Newark Airport to NY Penn Station.

I understand. The last time we sailed from Bayonne we used airport parking and took the bus into Manhattan and stayed 3 nights there. This time we only have 1 night pre-cruise so we are thinking it might be best to stay in NJ. Cruise departure is Oct 20th, a Thursday. Last time we sailed on a Saturday.

Are the airport hotels a safe place to leave a car while cruising?

I understand. The last time we sailed from Bayonne we used airport parking and took the bus into Manhattan and stayed 3 nights there. This time we only have 1 night pre-cruise so we are thinking it might be best to stay in NJ. Cruise departure is Oct 20th, a Thursday. Last time we sailed on a Saturday.

Are the airport hotels a safe place to leave a car while cruising?

We haven't gotten reports of problems with the popular park sleep hotels. In general I prefer the hotels in three areas - hotels on International Blvd by Jersey Gardens Mall, Ramada and Doubletree, and the Newark Courtyard, Springhill Suites and Fairfield Inn. These are all properties that are relatively isolated from Newark. The least desirable would be any hotel along routes 1&9 on the west side of the airport.

For Manhattan I'm seeing the La Quinta on W 32nd St near Herald Sqare/Penn Station for about $280 tax included for your date.

I'm looking at Springhill Suites but it is listed on Routes 1 & 9. Is that a good location?

The hotels over there are slightly isolated but for staying the night they're fine. Most reviews are good and they shuttle people to the airport. It's next to the Fairfield Inn & Suites and then beyond that is the Courtyard.

Without traffic it's less than half an hour to Bayonne. Typical after rush hour morning? About a half hour. Tonight? 4 hours!

I'm looking at Springhill Suites but it is listed on Routes 1 & 9. Is that a good location?

What makes a "good" location for you? Is it a car safety issue? Is it restaurants? Is it a mall? Is it hotel services? Springhill Suites offers free breakfast, but offers no other food service. The nearby Courtyard has a restaurant. It's an isolated enclave of three hotels on the north side that is difficult for random people to access easily.

We're discussing Newark Airport. It's a highly industrialized urban area, not a vacation destination.

The hotels over there are slightly isolated but for staying the night they're fine. Most reviews are good and they shuttle people to the airport. It's next to the Fairfield Inn & Suites and then beyond that is the Courtyard.

Without traffic it's less than half an hour to Bayonne. Typical after rush hour morning? About a half hour. Tonight? 4 hours!

What time is "typical after rush hour"?

Wow, what caused it to be 4 hours?

We are looking primarily for airport shuttle and safe parking overnight.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your help!

All the "airport" hotels have a shuttle. Even some of the off airport hotels like the Newark Penn Station Hilton and Robert Treat offer airport shuttles. I've parked overnight numerous times at various hotels. When I chose a hotel for a park/sleep I spent more time reading endless reviews. I've left my car for a cruise at Fairfield Inn and what is now the Doubletree, but I would leave my car at the Ramada or Springhill Suites or any hotel on International Blvd over the line in Elizabeth.

What makes a "good" location for you? Is it a car safety issue? Is it restaurants? Is it a mall? Is it hotel services? Springhill Suites offers free breakfast, but offers no other food service. The nearby Courtyard has a restaurant. It's an isolated enclave of three hotels on the north side that is difficult for random people to access easily.

We're discussing Newark Airport. It's a highly industrialized urban area, not a vacation destination.

You mentioned that hotels along Routes 1 and 9 were least desirable...

Are there malls, restaurants, etc near other airport hotel areas like Frontage?

Thanks for all your help!

You mentioned that hotels along Routes 1 and 9 were least desirable...

Are there malls, restaurants, etc near other airport hotel areas like Frontage?

Thanks for all your help!

Please pull up a google map of Newark Airport. What I said was that the hotels along routes 1&9 on the west side are the least desirable.

The only hotels that are near a mall and restaurants are the hotels on International Blvd in Elizabeth - Courtyard Elizabeth, Embassy Suites, Residence Inn and Country Inns. The hotels on Frontage Road (Ramada and Doubletree) are full service hotels, but they have absolutely no nearby restaurants and shops. The same applies to the enclave with Courtyard Newark, Springhill Suites, and Fairfield Inn where the only restaurant is in the Courtyard.

If shopping is a priority, you might want to look at Secaucus hotels where overnight hotel parking is free and there is frequent NJ Transit bus service into Manhattan. I gather you are planning on parking at the port - it's an easy drive there from Secaucus. Given all the questions you've asked about car safety, I'm thinking you might be more comfortable in a more suburban area with restaurants and malls.

Edited by 138east

All the "airport" hotels have a shuttle. Even some of the off airport hotels like the Newark Penn Station Hilton and Robert Treat offer airport shuttles. I've parked overnight numerous times at various hotels. When I chose a hotel for a park/sleep I spent more time reading endless reviews. I've left my car for a cruise at Fairfield Inn and what is now the Doubletree, but I would leave my car at the Ramada or Springhill Suites or any hotel on International Blvd over the line in Elizabeth.

Hi Carol! Thank you for giving so much good info.

My husband and I are going on the Celebrity Summit and booked a room at SpringHill Suites. I wish I had read this before doing so as I didn't give a thought about dinner; guess we'll just eat at the airport.

My question is what is the best transportation to/from the cruise terminal. We arrive and spend night on 9/3; ship leaves Sunday, 9/4 at 4 PM and returns Sunday 9/18 at 7 AM - we fly out EWR around noon same day.

Which transportation company do you suggest and what time for pick-up as we'd like to get to ship before noon? Can you also give an approximate cost?

Thank you for your help.

:)Annette

Yes, we have stayed in Secaucus on some prior trips and that was a good location for the hotel. If I recall correctly that was further to the port. How long do you estimate to get to the port on a Thursday morning from Secaucus?

It's about 4-6 miles further on the NJ Turnpike depending on where you would be at the airport. IMO the time difference is negligible.

Thanks for your help!

After rush hour is 10AM. The traffic on the extension heading towards the Holland can back up through 9AM many days.

Last night we had massive flooding due to a downpour. 78 & most of Bayonne's streets were flooded.

All the Newark hotels have airport shuttles and on-site parking. I don't stay at them because I live here so I really can't say much about them.

If I had money I'd build a nice hotel in Bayonne.

Hi Carol! Thank you for giving so much good info.

My husband and I are going on the Celebrity Summit and booked a room at SpringHill Suites. I wish I had read this before doing so as I didn't give a thought about dinner; guess we'll just eat at the airport.

My question is what is the best transportation to/from the cruise terminal. We arrive and spend night on 9/3; ship leaves Sunday, 9/4 at 4 PM and returns Sunday 9/18 at 7 AM - we fly out EWR around noon same day.

Which transportation company do you suggest and what time for pick-up as we'd like to get to ship before noon? Can you also give an approximate cost?

Thank you for your help.

:)Annette

There is a restaurant in the Courtyard near Springhill Suites.

Get quotes from Dial7 and Carmellimo. There are online coupons. It should be a quick trip on a Sunday morning - no more than a half hour. $55-65

Coming back you can just go to the taxi dispatcher and get shared or private transportation from them. I'd try to be at the airport by 10 am. I haven't done Celebrity from Cape Liberty. Let's see what others say.

We are planning on taking the light rail to 45th Street. Can someone recommend a taxi company to call for the last little bit to the port terminal? From what I've read it doesn't sound like we can expect one to randomly come by.

Thanks,

We are planning on taking the light rail to 45th Street. Can someone recommend a taxi company to call for the last little bit to the port terminal? From what I've read it doesn't sound like we can expect one to randomly come by.

Thanks,

You can call Archie's. Their phone number is 201-858-8800. If I can ask you a question, are you flying into Newark, or Amtrak to Newark Penn? Because if you are a cab from either at about $55 will be quicker, easier, and not a whole lot more expensive. I tell people to do it this way all the time. Into either JFK or LGA is a different story.

Edited by bayonnejoe

You can call Archie's. Their phone number is 201-858-8800. If I can ask you a question, are you flying into Newark, or Amtrak to Newark Penn? Because if you are a cab from either at about $55 will be quicker, easier, and not a whole lot more expensive. I tell people to do it this way all the time. Into either JFK or LGA is a different story.

Joe - in terms of waiting for a cab, which station is better - 45th St or 34th St? I've only used 34th St. In bad weather you can at least get inside the crossover area. I've gotten picked up on Ave E as well as in the parking lot.

Here's what I have for Bayonne cabs. Someone reported good service with Uber.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Joe - in terms of waiting for a cab, which station is better - 45th St or 34th St? I've only used 34th St. In bad weather you can at least get inside the crossover area. I've gotten picked up on Ave E as well as in the parking lot.

Here's what I have for Bayonne cabs. Someone reported good service with Uber.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

You know, that's a good question now, because of the new road opening, they can pick you up there at the corner at 45th and go right down that road that leads into the port. However, I don't know whether the cab companies would be willing to pick anyone up there. On an embark day, they probably would still want to pick up and drop off at 34th Street. There would probably traffic and pedestrian issues at 45th, especially during the week. I would think that 34th is still the better bet.

You know, that's a good question now, because of the new road opening, they can pick you up there at the corner at 45th and go right down that road that leads into the port. However, I don't know whether the cab companies would be willing to pick anyone up there. On an embark day, they probably would still want to pick up and drop off at 34th Street. There would probably traffic and pedestrian issues at 45th, especially during the week. I would think that 34th is still the better bet.

I'll be doing this again in Feb and will probably stick with 34th St and try Uber. It's one thing to be outside at that time of year transferring between PATH and the light rail at Exchange Place. It's another thing to be waiting for a cab to show up. I arrived last year in a Jan snowstorm and bypassed a chance to get dropped off at 45th St in favor of a ride to Journal Square. Well worth the extra money. Amtrak made it to Boston (the highways were horrible), but I could not even get to my house and stayed in a hotwired Back Bay hotel. Trip insurance covered almost everything!

Thanks. We are coming the day before and staying at the Hyatt near the exchange place station. My 4 year old is also fascinated by public transportation :D

I'll make note to get off at 34th Street.

Edited by LemonNeko

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! The board went quiet after I left.

I just wanted to add some feedback and thanks for all the help received before my recent trip to NYC and Bermuda via Cape Liberty!

First of all everyone's instructions were spot on.....

We drove to the Courtyard by Marriott Meadowlands in Lyndhurst ( we booked this because we had points not because it was recommended on here) we loved it! The staff were so friendly and helpful, room and hotel amenities wonderful. Restaurant/bar on site ( a bit pricey) breakfast not included. We took juice, bagels and cream cheese and grabbed a Starbucks coffee from the bar. There is a Subway(food not train) next door and a couple of restaurants across the street in other hotels which we did not try.

There is a Quality Inn which includes breakfast which would probable be a lot cheaper than the Marriott but I don't know what it's like.

It was easy to find, no problems with traffic driving in or to the port.

We took the bus from right outside the hotel into Port Authority bus terminal on both Friday and Saturday. Felt very safe. Thr first day the driver gave us senior rates...$8 something round triip for 2! I forget the full fare but it wasn't expensive. The trip is scheduled for 25 mins, but took over an hour due to accidents and rain on the first day. Port Authority is an easy walk to Times Square.

Cape Liberty was a breeze on Sunday morning! Directions given here re the route the 14A toll plaza and arriving at the Port were spot on! Dropped the tagged bags, pre paid and parked car in garage, short walk into the terminal. We arrived about 10:30, before the ship was ready. We sat in row 6( so there were a few before us) and waited to be allowed on around 11 I think.

Again, thanks a lot, we had a great time in NYC and Bermuda( aside from the rain of course!)