CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

@138east thanks for your input, we were initially thinking about Uber due to its relative simplicity in requesting one and that they give you fare estimates upfront (so we can budget for it)

@sddsddean The reason we got the hotel in NYC was because of its price, which was £109 per night (which is approx. $162 a night) in Manhattan, which was considerably cheaper compared to others we seen being offered by Royal Caribbean and they weren't offering any hotels in NJ area... The hotel was offered as a non refundable rate so unable to change it, plus flights out of JFK aren't an option for me direct flight wise (and doing a connected flight would be problematic for ourselves)...

I figured the two night post cruise stay will allow us some time to do a few touristy things like some sight seeing (just means we'll have to come back again to see them all!)

So would I be as well just getting a cab at Newark or use Dial7/Carmel instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

All of your transfers involve going between New York and New Jersey, so IMO you want to stay away from cabs and Uber because the interstate trips involve a large tunnel toll and some turnpike toll plus they leave the cab and Uber drivers out of their normal operation area. These are the kinds of situations that generate negative reviews.

I'd book with a large car service operation like Dial7 or Carmellimo and I would try to have some sort of cell phone service activated while you are in the US. The car service should quote you a base rate and tolls and you should tip 18-20% on the base rate.

My original advice is still valid. All your trips go from New Jersey to New York or New York to New Jersey and involve a tunnel toll of up to $15 plus some varying turnpike toll of several dollars. State livery rules prevent picking up return fares in different states unless the vehicle is licensed in both states, which is why we suggest to our casual out of state and out of country visitors that they book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo that are licensed to operate in both states. This is to protect you from becoming one of those unsatisfied customers posting negative experiences on TripAdvisor. Total cost of your trip is base rate, tolls, and 18-20% tip. The car service will give you a quote ahead of time so you can budget. However you do it, it will not be cheap. Both services offer online coupons.

We will be sailing from Bayonne soon (7/16). With the addition of RCL's mega ships, I was wondering if anyone knew about the parking situation. Are there enough spaces for all?

Yes there are enough spaces. The garage holds 900 cars and there is plenty of open lot parking for any overflow.

Mking8288 - the Hertz question is all about NJ - EWR car rental return and cab to Cape Liberty.

Gotcha, late night catching up - should've realize it's more likely related to Cape Liberty & EWR.

Checked my insider "source" @JFK & got in touch with his counterpart over EWR as they have int'l ops over there. Essentially, same generalized security & parking/pickup restrictions for Hertz & other "on-airport" car rental locations. Taxi/car service/private vehicles NOT permitted inside rental company grounds - will have to arrange to meet the car service outside the gated entrance/fence area. Cabs/taxis are not allowed nor do they "cruise" or wait in front of / near Hertz or car rentals for passengers with luggage - lately, my understanding is that PANYNJ police have been chasing & keep all the doubled parked & waiting cars away from the terminals & airport's interior roadways (sadly, it's the new world reality) - no idling or 4-way flashers blinking for meet & greet. Move It or Get Ticketed & Towed.

How about dropping off all the bags & the rest of the group/family/friends at EWR's T1, 2 or 3 first - return the rental car & then only the driver need to go back to the terminal via AirTrain - and, either take a taxi or call the car service to come around. More of less what we did, except it was at Cape Liberty - dropped everyone off with the bags, I drove to the parking area, pay & lock up the car, then, return to the building & join the rest to proceed to check-in.

My original advice is still valid. All your trips go from New Jersey to New York or New York to New Jersey and involve a tunnel toll of up to $15 plus some varying turnpike toll of several dollars. State livery rules prevent picking up return fares in different states unless the vehicle is licensed in both states, which is why we suggest to our casual out of state and out of country visitors that they book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo that are licensed to operate in both states. This is to protect you from becoming one of those unsatisfied customers posting negative experiences on TripAdvisor. Total cost of your trip is base rate, tolls, and 18-20% tip. The car service will give you a quote ahead of time so you can budget. However you do it, it will not be cheap. Both services offer online coupons.

Crisis averted!! Royal Caribbean got back to me unannounced and sorted out private sedan transfers for us now!!

Thanks again for your input 138east

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Are you open to other Jersey City hotels? There's a Doubletree, Courtyard, Westin and Candlewood Suites. I have stayed at the Courtyard. The Doubletree is very reasonable for your date - you can get 2 doubles and a sofa bed - and it's close to the light rail. These hotels are all close to the waterfront boardwalk and restaurants and services. Here's the Doubletree -

What is your price for the Embassy Suites package? You will have to pay an extra $40 for the third person for the port transportation. The hotel has double beds.

There is a taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty who will put you in a livery car at a predetermined price. About $55-65. 1:00 pm flight should be fine.

If you stay in Jersey City, for your public transit adventure I would recommend taking a cab from the airport to Newark Penn Station, taking PATH to Exchange Place, and the light rail to the hotel, if necessary. Under $40. To get to the port, you take the light rail to Bayonne and call a local cab to go into the port. Under $25.

I can provide more details once you make a decision.

We ended up booking at the Hyatt. My mum had some Orbitz dollars that we were able to use so the different between the Hyatt and Double Tree wasn't as much. Agreed with the opinions here that staying in Jersey City even if it's only for one night is better than staying near the outlet mall for a comparable price.

We ended up booking at the Hyatt. My mum had some Orbitz dollars that we were able to use so the different between the Hyatt and Double Tree wasn't as much. Agreed with the opinions here that staying in Jersey City even if it's only for one night is better than staying near the outlet mall for a comparable price.

Sounds great! The Light rail stop is right by the hotel. PATH to World Trade is also right there if you want to pop into NY to see the 911 memorial grounds.

Hi!

Sorry - not sure if this is the correct thread. Here goes my question/scenario:

We are a family of 9 (consisting of my family and my sister's).

Inbound Flight: My family will fly into LGA (which I found out after I booked is not ideal airport to fly into...sigh). My sister's will fly into EWR. We are flying in 5 days before the cruise. My DH, DD, nephews and niece first time in NYC so I thought it would be nice to go since we are already there. Yes, we realize it will be cold, snowy, rainy and NYE...but it's what it is.

Outbound/return Flight: Everyone will fly out of EWR at the end of the cruise.

Accommodations We are looking for somewhere (possibly NJ or midtown) that is reasonably priced. From my research, I think staying in NJ is close and easy to navigate through. Thoughts? The most important things for us are: safe location, not having to spend too much time on buses/subways to get to places.

Questions:

1. Any suggestions on getting from LGA to NJ?

2. Transportation from Port to EWR after the cruise.

3. Any other big cities that are doable for one-day trips from NYC? This is just in case the kids think 5 days are too many days in NYC.

TIA!

Hi!

Sorry - not sure if this is the correct thread. Here goes my question/scenario:

We are a family of 9 (consisting of my family and my sister's).

Inbound Flight: My family will fly into LGA (which I found out after I booked is not ideal airport to fly into...sigh). My sister's will fly into EWR. We are flying in 5 days before the cruise. My DH, DD, nephews and niece first time in NYC so I thought it would be nice to go since we are already there. Yes, we realize it will be cold, snowy, rainy and NYE...but it's what it is.

Outbound/return Flight: Everyone will fly out of EWR at the end of the cruise.

Accommodations We are looking for somewhere (possibly NJ or midtown) that is reasonably priced. From my research, I think staying in NJ is close and easy to navigate through. Thoughts? The most important things for us are: safe location, not having to spend too much time on buses/subways to get to places.

Questions:

1. Any suggestions on getting from LGA to NJ?

2. Transportation from Port to EWR after the cruise.

3. Any other big cities that are doable for one-day trips from NYC? This is just in case the kids think 5 days are too many days in NYC.

TIA!

Hi Jen70,

I see from your other posts that you are sailing Anthem on Monday Jan 2, 2017, and that Merion_Mom (another Carol) directed you to us on the East Coast Board. Flying in 5 days before the cruise puts your arrival at Wednesday, December 28. I also see that you asked about New Years Eve in Times Square. The concensus on that is a definite NO WAY!!! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2368186&highlight=new+years+eve

The transportation questions can't be answered until you decide on your hotel arrangements. Basically to go between NY and NJ you need to book a car service. I'm assuming you need two hotel rooms, one for 4 people and one for 5 people. Hotel choices with rooms for 5 are limited.

The first question you need to answer is how much you are willing to spend per night on a hotel?

The closest big city for a day trip is Philadelphia. Boston is too far.

Also, is public transit an option for your group to go to the port?

How old are the kids? Since its Christmas time there are so many extra things to do. I don't think you will run out of things to do in five days.

Our DD is 6. We will definitely take her to Rockefeller Center or Central Park for ice skating. She loves skating. As for the other "kids", they are college age. They are my nephews and niece, so I will always call them "kids". :-)

Hi Jen70,

I see from your other posts that you are sailing Anthem on Monday Jan 2, 2017, and that Merion_Mom (another Carol) directed you to us on the East Coast Board. Flying in 5 days before the cruise puts your arrival at Wednesday, December 28. I also see that you asked about New Years Eve in Times Square. The concensus on that is a definite NO WAY!!! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2368186&highlight=new+years+eve

The transportation questions can't be answered until you decide on your hotel arrangements. Basically to go between NY and NJ you need to book a car service. I'm assuming you need two hotel rooms, one for 4 people and one for 5 people. Hotel choices with rooms for 5 are limited.

The first question you need to answer is how much you are willing to spend per night on a hotel?

The closest big city for a day trip is Philadelphia. Boston is too far.

Also, is public transit an option for your group to go to the port?

Hi Carol - Yes merion_mom posted the link to this forum. :-)

We are willing to spend up to $500/night. I am considering renting a home via vrbo as well. Having a washer dryer may be nice - so minimize bringing more than necessary. But it seems most of the properties are in NJ.

No public transportation becuase we will have lots of luggage for 9 people for 12 day cruise + NYC.

My mgr works/lives in DE...I may take a day trip to visit her...not sure yet.

Thanks!

Hi Carol - Yes merion_mom posted the link to this forum. :-)

We are willing to spend up to $500/night. I am considering renting a home via vrbo as well. Having a washer dryer may be nice - so minimize bringing more than necessary. But it seems most of the properties are in NJ.

No public transportation becuase we will have lots of luggage for 9 people for 12 day cruise + NYC.

My mgr works/lives in DE...I may take a day trip to visit her...not sure yet.

Thanks!

Is that $500 per night per room?

Concern is that VRBO in NYC is not advised because it is basically illegal and subject to scams. If you are looking at stuff in NJ, run it by this forum to get opinions. Convenience to rapid public transit is paramount in NJ.

Another wrinkle is that PATH to 33rd St is going to be closed Sat and Sun through Jan for track repairs. This means you have to go to lower Manhattan (World Trade) and ride te NY subway to midtown. Therefore it would be best to do midtown on Thur and Fri.

Courtyard Jersey city has a 5 day extended rate of $299 for a 2 queen and sofabed room for Dec 28-Jan 2. It is right next to the Newport PATH station.

Is that $500 per night per room?

Concern is that VRBO in NYC is not advised because it is basically illegal and subject to scams. If you are looking at stuff in NJ, run it by this forum to get opinions. Convenience to rapid public transit is paramount in NJ.

Another wrinkle is that PATH to 33rd St is going to be closed Sat and Sun through Jan for track repairs. This means you have to go to lower Manhattan (World Trade) and ride te NY subway to midtown. Therefore it would be best to do midtown on Thur and Fri.

Courtyard Jersey city has a 5 day extended rate of $299 for a 2 queen and sofabed room for Dec 28-Jan 2. It is right next to the Newport PATH station.

I meant $400/room not $500. But I really want to get an apt/condo with washer dryer.

How far is Jersey city to the touristy stuff? I was looking at places in Weehawken or Union City.

As for midtown - what about hell's kitchen area?

Also - prefer to not have to change rooms/hotels once we get situated.

I meant $400/room not $500. But I really want to get an apt/condo with washer dryer.

How far is Jersey city to the touristy stuff? I was looking at places in Weehawken or Union City.

As for midtown - what about hell's kitchen area?

Also - prefer to not have to change rooms/hotels once we get situated.

Jersey City is on the PATH train line across from lower Manhattan - 15 minute ride to midtown 33rd & 6th (Herald Square) or 8 minute ride to World Trade and all the lower Manhattan tourist sites. The hotels in this area are the closest hotels to Cape Liberty.

Weehawken or Union City is a bus ride through the Lincoln Tunnel to Port Authority Bus terminal. Not so nice hotels/area except for the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor. What are you looking at there?

Hells Kitchen would be doable. What are you looking at there?

You can get 3 rooms at Candlewood Suites in Jersey City - Queen and sofabed - for about $620 average total/night for the three rooms for 5 nights (about $3100) This gives you the self catering option and on property laundry option. It's a little farther from the PATH station.

Jersey City is on the PATH train line across from lower Manhattan - 15 minute ride to midtown 33rd & 6th (Herald Square) or 8 minute ride to World Trade and all the lower Manhattan tourist sites. The hotels in this area are the closest hotels to Cape Liberty.

Weehawken or Union City is a bus ride through the Lincoln Tunnel to Port Authority Bus terminal. Not so nice hotels/area except for the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor. What are you looking at there?

Hells Kitchen would be doable. What are you looking at there?

You can get 3 rooms at Candlewood Suites in Jersey City - Queen and sofabed - for about $620 average total/night for the three rooms for 5 nights (about $3100) This gives you the self catering option and on property laundry option. It's a little farther from the PATH station.

Great advice on Jersey City. I'll look at the VRBO listings first. Any areas/neighborhoods you would recommend in JC?

We can do midtown during the weekday. The subway will be open during those days right? Then save Sat & Sun for the lower Manhattan things?

Is that doable?

How long is the subway ride? Forgive my naivete...just wondering if subways are ok for a 6 year old?

What about Greenwich Village?

Edited by jen70

We are sailing on Anthem on October 20th.....flying into Newark on the 18th and want to spend a little time sight seeing...7 adults....looking for 3 hotel rooms....Jersey City or Elizabeth?

We can do midtown during the weekday. The subway will be open during those days right? Then save Sat & Sun for the lower Manhattan things?

Is that doable?

How long is the subway ride? Forgive my naivete...just wondering if subways are ok for a 6 year old?

What about Greenwich Village?

The PATH closure is only Hoboken to 33rd St. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2369142

You can still get to midtown by going to World Trade and picking up the NYC subway in lower Manhattan. It is an extra fare only if you could have gotten where you're going by walking from 33rd St. For east side locations like metropolitan museum it's actually faster to go via WTC.

Subway means New York City subway. PATH means PortAuthority Trans Hudson "subway" trains from NJ. http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html. Subways are fine for 6 year olds with their parents.

Greenwich Village is at the 9th St and the Christopher St stop on PATH.

You want to stay dowtown in the Newport area. Get address and ask!

Sorry I'm all over the place on the map. Simply - I do not know the area.

Found a property near Donnelly Memorial Park and Liberty Skyline. How's that area? I do not get the exact address until I make the booking.