CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

I eee you list locations in NJ and PA, in which case there's almost no chance that you'll need to take either the Bayonne Bridge or the Skyway to get to Cape Liberty. Nor would any closures be likely to generate any significant amount of traffic on other nearby routes on Sunday, when traffic in that area is usually at its lightest.

The Bayonne Bridge will be closed but you'll never notice it.

Thanks, I have no problem getting there. I was looking for info for my roll call..

Hi. I have questions about buying a couple of bottles of wine to take on our cruise. Is there a liquor store in the Newark airport where we could get some wine after landing and before heading to our hotel? If not, we will be staying at the Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth - are there any stores nearby where we could buy a couple of bottles of wine? Any within safe walking distance? If not, can someone give me an estimate as to how much might it cost us for a taxi to take us to a nearby wine store and back from the hotel? Thank you very much in advance!

Hi. I have questions about buying a couple of bottles of wine to take on our cruise. Is there a liquor store in the Newark airport where we could get some wine after landing and before heading to our hotel? If not, we will be staying at the Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth - are there any stores nearby where we could buy a couple of bottles of wine? Any within safe walking distance? If not, can someone give me an estimate as to how much might it cost us for a taxi to take us to a nearby wine store and back from the hotel? Thank you very much in advance!

Unfortunately the answer to all your questions is no. There are no nearby wine stores, so I can't even guestimate what a taxi would cost. When I stayed at Country Inns in March, I did notice that they now sell wine, but I don't remember the bottle size, labels, or cost.

If you're taking a car service to the port, you could arrange for the driver to stop by:

Wine Warehouse

1 Lefante Way

Bayonne, NJ 07002

Phone number (201) 858-2727

Edited by 138east

I'm interested in getting to see Times Square and 911 memorial post cruise in June. I'll need to drop off my luggage at the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth, NJ after the cruise. Not planning to use my car to drive into the city. Any suggestions?

Why not try the element hotel? It's right next to the train that goes in to NY near the memorial. Also free airport shuttle.

http://www.elementharrisonnewark.com/

Edited by aus30

On Thursday we will be driving I-78 from Pennsylvania to Cape Liberty. I understand there is some construction at exit 14a. Have the directions from 14a to Cape Liberty changed since June last year? If so, what is the best way to get to Cape Liberty from 14a?

Thanks for your help!

On Thursday we will be driving I-78 from Pennsylvania to Cape Liberty. I understand there is some construction at exit 14a. Have the directions from 14a to Cape Liberty changed since June last year? If so, what is the best way to get to Cape Liberty from 14a?

Thanks for your help!

When you get to the toll plaza you look at the overhead signs for 440. The different turnpike toll exits have signs above them telling you which to go to in order to get on 440, Avenue E, or 53rd St. Once you're on 440 the directions are the same as before.

I'm interested in getting to see Times Square and 911 memorial post cruise in June. I'll need to drop off my luggage at the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth, NJ after the cruise. Not planning to use my car to drive into the city. Any suggestions?

Are you staying post cruise at Embassy Suites Sat night and then driving home on Sunday? You can take a combination of train and PATH and do a big circle through NY. Hotel shuttle back to the P4 Airtrain station, Airtrain to the Newark Airport Station, NJ Transit train to Newark Penn Station, PATH to World Trade for the 911 Memorial, NY subway to Times Square, NJ transit train from NewYork Penn Station to Newark Airport, Airtrain to P4, and the hotel shuttle back to the hotel. Cost will be $25-30/pp round trip.

When you get to the toll plaza you look at the overhead signs for 440. The different turnpike toll exits have signs above them telling you which to go to in order to get on 440, Avenue E, or 53rd St. Once you're on 440 the directions are the same as before.

Thank you!

Hi I have a question about EWR airport for our cruise we are taking next year...not sure if this is the right spot..thought I would try here first. When at EWR airport is the air train airside when traveling between terminals? Looking at the map it looks like if we had a connection in EWR that switched terminals A to B or to C we would have to go through security again...am I reading the map correctly?:confused:

The AirTrain is outside security, but I do remember a shuttle bus that stayed air side. It went between C and one (or both) of the others. I'm not sure which.

ETA: I just checked the map. There is a bus between C, by gate 73 and A2.

Edited by SnowshoeCat

We are arriving at LGA on Friday, taking in some theatre in NYC, going to the ship on Sunday AM. Forced to use LGA due ticketing and airline. Will have luggage that we don't want to hump on public transit. What are the suggestions from Times Square area to the port and then from the port to LGA. (We have plenty of time as flight does not leave until 3:00 PM.) THANKS.

We are arriving at LGA on Friday, taking in some theatre in NYC, going to the ship on Sunday AM. Forced to use LGA due ticketing and airline. Will have luggage that we don't want to hump on public transit. What are the suggestions from Times Square area to the port and then from the port to LGA. (We have plenty of time as flight does not leave until 3:00 PM.) THANKS.

Taxi from Times Square to the port. taxi or car service from the port to LGA.

Hi all! Has anyone tried the park/sleep/cruise for cruisers from Manhattan offered by Hilton Gardens in Ridgefield Park? Is Embassy Suites still an option? Any other suggestions?

A number of folks are considering it, but no real reports yet. Embassy Suites is an option, but provides only one way transportation. This makes the overall cost significantly more expensive.

Hi, I'm hoping to get some advice. We were originally going to drive but now are flying into Newark. There's three of us myself, my mum and my 4 year old.

We are flying in Saturday afternoon Aug 27th. Cruise leaves Sunday. Our flight leaves on the Sunday at 1:00 pm.

The hotels I'm looking at are:

Embassy Suites

Renaissance Newark

Hyatt in Jersey City

I'm open to public transportation as long as it's not more than two transfers.

Is it difficult/ overly expensive to take a cab to the airport from the port?

Thanks,

Hi, I'm hoping to get some advice. We were originally going to drive but now are flying into Newark. There's three of us myself, my mum and my 4 year old.

We are flying in Saturday afternoon Aug 27th. Cruise leaves Sunday. Our flight leaves on the Sunday at 1:00 pm.

The hotels I'm looking at are:

Embassy Suites

Renaissance Newark

Hyatt in Jersey City

I'm open to public transportation as long as it's not more than two transfers.

Is it difficult/ overly expensive to take a cab to the airport from the port?

Thanks,

Let's start with your budget. You have to look at the big picture of the total cost. You are three people. How many beds? What time does your flight arrive? Hotel budget (Note - you are looking at some of the priciest hotels in the area). Dinner requirements?

Car service/cab between the airport area and port is running $55-65. Staying at the Hyatt requires a car service/cab from the airport to the hotel, but the light rail to Bayonne is right in front of the hotel, so that could reduce your costs getting to the port plus provide a "tram" experience that your 4 year old might enjoy.

Let's start with your budget. You have to look at the big picture of the total cost. You are three people. How many beds? What time does your flight arrive? Hotel budget (Note - you are looking at some of the priciest hotels in the area). Dinner requirements?

Car service/cab between the airport area and port is running $55-65. Staying at the Hyatt requires a car service/cab from the airport to the hotel, but the light rail to Bayonne is right in front of the hotel, so that could reduce your costs getting to the port plus provide a "tram" experience that your 4 year old might enjoy.

$350 is likely the max I want to spend for the room and transportation. I'm not sure I could get the Hyatt in that price range unless we can use some public transit instead of cabs. My son loves public transportation. We spent 2 hours on a street car once and he was in heaven.

I'd prefer either 1 King or 2 Queens. Our flight arrives at 3 so it gives us a bit of time but not a full day. We would like a place with a decent pool or something to do close by. I'm pretty open to what we have for dinner but it would be nice if we had a bit of selection.

We are leaning towards the Embassy Suites as we can a package that includes everything but wondering if maybe using cabs is good enough. Do people get ripped off taking cabs from the port to Newark? I also want to make sure we can make our 1 pm flight.

$350 is likely the max I want to spend for the room and transportation. I'm not sure I could get the Hyatt in that price range unless we can use some public transit instead of cabs. My son loves public transportation. We spent 2 hours on a street car once and he was in heaven.

I'd prefer either 1 King or 2 Queens. Our flight arrives at 3 so it gives us a bit of time but not a full day. We would like a place with a decent pool or something to do close by. I'm pretty open to what we have for dinner but it would be nice if we had a bit of selection.

We are leaning towards the Embassy Suites as we can a package that includes everything but wondering if maybe using cabs is good enough. Do people get ripped off taking cabs from the port to Newark? I also want to make sure we can make our 1 pm flight.

Are you open to other Jersey City hotels? There's a Doubletree, Courtyard, Westin and Candlewood Suites. I have stayed at the Courtyard. The Doubletree is very reasonable for your date - you can get 2 doubles and a sofa bed - and it's close to the light rail. These hotels are all close to the waterfront boardwalk and restaurants and services. Here's the Doubletree -

What is your price for the Embassy Suites package? You will have to pay an extra $40 for the third person for the port transportation. The hotel has double beds.

There is a taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty who will put you in a livery car at a predetermined price. About $55-65. 1:00 pm flight should be fine.

If you stay in Jersey City, for your public transit adventure I would recommend taking a cab from the airport to Newark Penn Station, taking PATH to Exchange Place, and the light rail to the hotel, if necessary. Under $40. To get to the port, you take the light rail to Bayonne and call a local cab to go into the port. Under $25.

I can provide more details once you make a decision.

Just to add to the excellent advice you've received from Carol (138east):

Of the three hotels on your list, without question I'd prefer the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City. An upscale hotel in a very pleasant location, right on the Hudson River waterfront with terrific views of the Manhattan skyline, & a number of dining options within easy walking distance--versus a hotel at EWR, where you are pretty much confined to the hotel property, with limited dining & entertainment options.

Just fyi: There are a few other hotels within a half-mile or so of the Hyatt that you might want to consider: The Westin, which is similarly upscale and similarly priced, and the Doubletree, just one block from the Westin. As far as I can tell, the Doubletree doesn't have a pool (unlike the Hyatt & the Westin), but it should easily fit your budget. All these hotel are virtually adjacent to stops on the light rail line to Bayonne. (At the Bayonne end of the trip, you will have to take a local taxi for the final two miles to the Cape Liberty cruise terminal, which is located on a limited-access peninsula directly opposite the Bayonne 34th Street light rail station.)

All of the Jersey City hotels are about 12 miles from EWR.

I can't speak to the question of whether you might likely get "ripped off" by a taxi driver going to or from the airport, but I wouldn't be overly worried about that--I suspect there would be a fair amount of complaints posted on these threads if that were the case.

Edit: Whoops, Carol beat me to it! :-)

Edited by Post Captain

I didn't check the fine print about the Doubletree having no pool! I know the Courtyard has a pool because I saw lots of kids in bathing suits when we stayed there.

If mom is a senior or if you are a CAA member, you can get reduced rates at most of these hotels.