CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

This is hardly a "Jewish deli". "Jewish delis" ... If someone is in downtown Manhattan and wants to try a kosher or kosher style deli, they should be going to Katz's. There really is no other choice.

Helpful correction noted - Katz on the Lower East Side is quite some distance away from the 9/11 Memorial.

And, you are right - finding a true kosher or Jewish deli that fit the strict definitions in the immediate WTC & Wall Street area, south of City Hall or even Chinatown/Little Italty is virtually impossible these days, actually for the past decades or two. Even the local chain of Yip's Chinese fast food all over downtown have largely gone out of business & closed up their greasy spoon shops after 9/11.

As for finding "a good place to eat nearby" being part of the question, I would rather head for Stage Door or another deli vs. going to Au Bon Pain as they are all over that area - and support some of the local small businesses.

How much do I need for tolls coming from DC?

Do I need quarters or are bills fine?

If you can get a EZ Pass, it will save you money on the tolls and you don't have to worry about carrying any type of money.

Just checking back in and I didn't see anyone answer this that I posted before. Here is my question...

We will be on the Summit returning Sunday 8/21. I know previously it was posted that the shuttle to the airport at the port is the same price as if we were to book it through the ship. Since they are the same price is there any benefits booking with the ship or waiting till we get off? I would think the ship bus would fill faster right? When we sailed princess and paid for their shuttle they have people for that shuttle meet at a certain time on ship then be taken down to claim bags and then thru customs and then to the bus...would Celebrity be the same way meaning it should fill quicker and we get out faster vs choosing a shuttle at the port and then waiting for others who need the same thing and same airport? We have a 12:15 flight our of EWR.

Just checking back in and I didn't see anyone answer this that I posted before. Here is my question...

We will be on the Summit returning Sunday 8/21. I know previously it was posted that the shuttle to the airport at the port is the same price as if we were to book it through the ship. Since they are the same price is there any benefits booking with the ship or waiting till we get off? I would think the ship bus would fill faster right? When we sailed princess and paid for their shuttle they have people for that shuttle meet at a certain time on ship then be taken down to claim bags and then thru customs and then to the bus...would Celebrity be the same way meaning it should fill quicker and we get out faster vs choosing a shuttle at the port and then waiting for others who need the same thing and same airport? We have a 12:15 flight our of EWR.

My experience was that the shuttle is $28.50 from the ship, and $20 from the taxi stand. Benefit to booking through the ship would be to use OBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My experience was that the shuttle is $28.50 from the ship, and $20 from the taxi stand. Benefit to booking through the ship would be to use OBC.

Oh thanks...I thought I had read the taxi stand raised their price and now is the same as the ship. Anyone there recently that can tell us what the price is?

Usually, you would have to wait until the transfer is filled then they would take you over to the airport. Its all about patience with the cruise transfer, if you are willing to wait for the others, if you disembark early. However, with the shuttle at the port you may not have to wait as long for it to fill up and take you to the airport.

This is great advice. I have the Florida Sunpass which like you said lets you fly though the toll plazas instead of stopping and waiting in line. I actually wondered if it would work up east but it only shows the North Carolina quickpass as participating. It would be so easy if they accepted it.

I did consider getting the one up there because we love the FL version, but not sure of any effect of having both. Our FL is the mini which is stuck on the windshield and cannot be removed.

Thank you for all your information and yes I will wave to you from the Summit.

When I moved to Florida a few months ago, I read on the Sunpass website that it can only be used in Florida, North Carolina, and Georgia. It might be best if you buy an EZ pass, the Ez pass is compatible with other electronic tolling system. I went to Chicago April 2015 and I was able to use it there and I went to Phoenix last summer and a some of the tolls we went through took it as well.

Usually, you would have to wait until the transfer is filled then they would take you over to the airport. Its all about patience with the cruise transfer, if you are willing to wait for the others, if you disembark early. However, with the shuttle at the port you may not have to wait as long for it to fill up and take you to the airport.

Oh so celebrity doesn't do like princess and have people using that particular shuttle meet at the same spot and get off together? Have you used the pier shuttle. ..when where do we pay? Cash or credit card. ..that way I can be prepared. Hate to not have enough cash ready or out and have to spend time digging in my bag and hold others up.

For an upcoming cruise on the Summit to Bermuda, do we have to drop off our bags before parking or is there a place at the parking building to handle our luggage?

Thanks

bosco

No place in the garage to handle luggage that I ever saw. Wel always drop off bags with porters then proceed to garage and park.

Edited by CruisingChick

Oh so celebrity doesn't do like princess and have people using that particular shuttle meet at the same spot and get off together? Have you used the pier shuttle. ..when where do we pay? Cash or credit card. ..that way I can be prepared. Hate to not have enough cash ready or out and have to spend time digging in my bag and hold others up.

I was on the Silhouette and not the Summit. I haven't used the pier shuttle because it left from where I live. I remember seeing people stand in line for shuttle busses. For my next cruise with Royal Caribbean (leaving out of NJ) which Celebrity is under, I was told that you would have to pay online at their website.

I was on the Silhouette and not the Summit. I haven't used the pier shuttle because it left from where I live. I remember seeing people stand in line for shuttle busses. For my next cruise with Royal Caribbean (leaving out of NJ) which Celebrity is under, I was told that you would have to pay online at their website.

Are you talking about paying the cruise line for the shuttle or the shuttle that is ran by the taxi stands at the pier. I am trying to figure out the price of the shuttles at the pier not run through the ship and where and when we pay and what forms of payment they accept.

Are you talking about paying the cruise line for the shuttle or the shuttle that is ran by the taxi stands at the pier. I am trying to figure out the price of the shuttles at the pier not run through the ship and where and when we pay and what forms of payment they accept.

I thought you were asking about the cruise transfer but for private shuttles to the airport from the cruise port. You can actually set them up before you leave from the airport those are usually 20 pp or less. You can pay at the taxi stand when you disembark.

I thought you were asking about the cruise transfer but for private shuttles to the airport from the cruise port. You can actually set them up before you leave from the airport those are usually 20 pp or less. You can pay at the taxi stand when you disembark.

Ok this is where I get confused. I thought it was mentioned on here that the shuttles (not done via ship) had raised their price to match the ships price. Are they truly private and just us or does it wait to fill as well? Has anyone recently used one of these that can tell me how much and is it truly private just us or does it wait to fill up with others? I would think it would be with others as if they offered a shuttle for just us 2 at $20 then the taxi's would be losing customers left and right seeing as I believe I read that they are roughly $50-60....

Ok this is where I get confused. I thought it was mentioned on here that the shuttles (not done via ship) had raised their price to match the ships price. Are they truly private and just us or does it wait to fill as well? Has anyone recently used one of these that can tell me how much and is it truly private just us or does it wait to fill up with others? I would think it would be with others as if they offered a shuttle for just us 2 at $20 then the taxi's would be losing customers left and right seeing as I believe I read that they are roughly $50-60....

It is NOT private. It's $20, as of end of February. Fills up quickly. End of April, I did ship's transfers from Summit. They are $28.50 to airport and $35 to Times Square

It is NOT private. It's $20, as of end of February. Fills up quickly. End of April, I did ship's transfers from Summit. They are $28.50 to airport and $35 to Times Square

Great thank you...have you done both....would you recommend one over the other. We would be going to EWR for a 12:15pm flight on a Sunday.

Great thank you...have you done both....would you recommend one over the other. We would be going to EWR for a 12:15pm flight on a Sunday.

I've successfully done both- for the airport either is fine. If you have OBC, use that to book with the ship. If you use the shuttle by the taxi stand, you'd be best to get off as early as possible-- if you're the last one off the ship, there may not be a group.

I've successfully done both- for the airport either is fine. If you have OBC, use that to book with the ship. If you use the shuttle by the taxi stand, you'd be best to get off as early as possible-- if you're the last one off the ship, there may not be a group.

Thanks. We have no obc. We were planning to do the earliest off they had where they take our bags...not self disembark. I am not able to carry things over a certain weight and DH cant carry them all by himself so we always put our bags out the night before and then pick them up in the terminal..do you think that would allow us to use the taxi stand shuttle? Also what do they take, cash, credit card either? Is it pretty well labeled where to go to find the shuttle stand? We have never sailed out of this port before.

Anyone know the cost to Newark Penn Station from CL? We've always had a car service pick us up and take us into Manhattan, but this time we plan to just go from Newark on Amtrak. I honestly don't care if it's a taxi or a shared shuttle. I'm not a penny pincher, but we are curious as to the cost.

Also, we are staying the night before the cruise (Summit) at the Marriott Courtyard Downtown Newark. Unlike the Hilton that has a bellman who can call a car service for us, I guess our best choice is either scheduling a service or getting a taxi. We've used Dial 7 in the past, but since we're not going into NYC, I thought maybe we'd used a NJ based service, like Carmel. Any other recommendations for a ride to CL?

Edited by BND

Anyone know the cost to Newark Penn Station from CL? We've always had a car service pick us up and take us into Manhattan, but this time we plan to just go from Newark on Amtrak. I honestly don't care if it's a taxi or a shared shuttle. I'm not a penny pincher, but we are curious as to the cost.

Also, we are staying the night before the cruise (Summit) at the Marriott Courtyard Downtown Newark. Unlike the Hilton that has a bellman who can call a car service for us, I guess our best choice is either scheduling a service or getting a taxi. We've used Dial 7 in the past, but since we're not going into NYC, I thought maybe we'd used a NJ based service, like Carmel. Any other recommendations for a ride to CL?

About 50-60 bucks....and the hotel will call a cab for you....they may have a doorman/bellman as they're in downtown and on a fairly busy street....I stayed at the adjacent Hotel Indigo in January.

Try to NOT forget anything that you'll need to buy....there's a walgreens or rite aid about 4-5 blocks away, but you really do NOT want to go out walking around late.....I'd say plan on being in for the night before it gets dark.... if you come back from NYC at night, take a cab the short distance to the hotel... but you're OK walking around before it gets dark....it's about 4 blocks or so maybe 5-6 from the train station to the hotel.....

If there's an event at the ROCK (Prudential Center) the area will be safer......

Dinosaur BBQ is pretty cool for dinner, walkable, casual, friendly service....

Edited by megr1125

About 50-60 bucks....and the hotel will call a cab for you....they may have a doorman/bellman as they're in downtown and on a fairly busy street....I stayed at the adjacent Hotel Indigo in January.

Try to NOT forget anything that you'll need to buy....there's a walgreens or rite aid about 4-5 blocks away, but you really do NOT want to go out walking around late.....I'd say plan on being in for the night before it gets dark.... if you come back from NYC at night, take a cab the short distance to the hotel... but you're OK walking around before it gets dark....it's about 4 blocks or so maybe 5-6 from the train station to the hotel.....

If there's an event at the ROCK (Prudential Center) the area will be safer......

Dinosaur BBQ is pretty cool for dinner, walkable, casual, friendly service....

We've stayed at the Hilton Penn station at least 4-5 times and have never felt unsafe walking. We love Don Pepe's and it's in walking distance, but we'll see. I was just wondering about transportation more than anything else. If we're going to be in Newark, we want to eat Portugese/Spanish so we'll see what we do. Only reason we're staying there instead of the Hilton is DH has a "free" night with Marriott to use. I highly doubt that a Courtyard has a bellman. We will take a taxi from the station to the hotel.

Edited by BND

No place in the garage to handle luggage that I ever saw. Wel always drop off bags with porters then proceed to garage and park.

Thanks for the response. We've been to Port Liberty about 10 times prior to the new terminal and parking building and wanted to get the lay of the land. I thought I had seen something about a luggage drop at the new parking garage, but must be mistaken.

Thanks again.

bosco

Thanks for the response. We've been to Port Liberty about 10 times prior to the new terminal and parking building and wanted to get the lay of the land. I thought I had seen something about a luggage drop at the new parking garage, but must be mistaken.

Thanks again.

bosco

I do think someone did post something saying that but we have parked at the new garage twice now and both times they just quickly sent us up to the second level and the bottom level was coned off, so I don't see how you could drop your luggage off and did not see anyone dropping luggage off or anyone to take luggage.

Also, I would not want to drag my luggage down from the second level of the garage (there are elevators but still) and then drag them over to where the porters are. IMO just easier to drop of and then go to the garage.

Just wondering how the parking will be now that there are 2 ships in port. Both times we parked there was only one RCCL ship going out of there. Summit had left for the season.

Edited by CruisingChick

Uggh I just tried to book our transfer from ship to EWR via Celebrity for our 12:15pm flight and they said it is too early they recommend 1pm...I know I was told noon by a rep at celebrity which is why I booked that flight. I guess we will try the port shuttle or a regular taxi. I saw a price stating regular taxis were $50-60...is this including the tolls? Since the ship transfer is now out...anyone have an opinion on which is better taxi or port shuttle? I am now stressed we wont make our flight on time and we have to do non-self-disembark as I cant help carry the luggage anymore. We did it a long time ago and it was a nightmare, with no elevators as they were jammed and such, and I cant carry them anymore. We will be on deck 2 on the Summit. :eek: