CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

This is one of those rare occasions when I'm going to disagree with Carol (138east).

I think you shouldn't leave home until 7:30 or 8 am. Leaving at 5:30 or 6 will put you right into the height of rush hour traffic in NJ and get you to the port far too early. Leaving at 7:30 or 8 will get you to the port at the right time for early check in and boarding.

Which 911 memorial are you asking about? There's a memorial right at the port. Or are you talking about the 911 memorial in lower Manhattan? In my opinion you don't have the time to go into Manhattan on embarkation day, particularly for someone not familiar with the area on a weekday morning during rush hour.

Paul - you are so right! What was I thinking? I'm suffering from too much travel overload in the last 2 days to get back from my cruise.

I'm guessing they mean the big 911 Memorial in NYC and not the teardrop 911 memorial at the pier. If they get there early, they can visit that one as well.

This is one of those rare occasions when I'm going to disagree with Carol (138east).

I think you shouldn't leave home until 7:30 or 8 am. Leaving at 5:30 or 6 will put you right into the height of rush hour traffic in NJ and get you to the port far too early. Leaving at 7:30 or 8 will get you to the port at the right time for early check in and boarding.

Which 911 memorial are you asking about? There's a memorial right at the port. Or are you talking about the 911 memorial in lower Manhattan? In my opinion you don't have the time to go into Manhattan on embarkation day, particularly for someone not familiar with the area on a weekday morning during rush hour.

As someone who lives along the 78 corridor, rush hour time is very unpredictable. You will want to check traffic conditions regularly and have an alternative route planned. If there is an accident on 78 traffic can have back-ups that are hours long. We are 11 miles from the 78/287 intersection and that trip on a weekday can be 10 minutes or as bad as 1 hour if there is an accident. On average during rush hour it is closer to 15-20 minutes.

Don't want to scare you but just want you to be prepared in case something happens.

I believed that you are flying late into EWR ?? to sail on the Summit on 5/21 ??

Hilton Garden Inn @ Edison/RC is just off NJ Turnpike in an area with major corporate & warehouse distribution center, including Macy's & FedEx - pretty much suburban & you will need a car to get around, nothing nearby to walk to/from. About 20 miles south of Newark Airport, easy drive of 20-25 minutes, car service/taxi fares won't be cheap and away from Cape Liberty, so you will pay even more $$ the following morning to the cruise terminal (unlikely hotel has comp'd transportation ?)

You might want to re-price other closer hotel options & factor in car service/taxi/shuttle costs - unless you scored a good deal or using miles/points for your stay, etc. Make use of sites like PL & Hotwire to see if there are additional options depending on # of people traveling together.

P.S. We will be on Breakaway sailing 5/22 to Bermuda, will waive & let's see which ship get to Dockyard first :p

I'm assuming they're driving up from Tennessee. IMO after a long trip getting off the road sooner rather than later is better.

Yes we are leaving here Friday and driving to outskirts of DC. Sightseeing there Saturday then driving few hours to NJ.

Thank you for your advice. I will look at exit 8 hotels.

As someone who lives along the 78 corridor, rush hour time is very unpredictable. You will want to check traffic conditions regularly and have an alternative route planned. If there is an accident on 78 traffic can have back-ups that are hours long. We are 11 miles from the 78/287 intersection and that trip on a weekday can be 10 minutes or as bad as 1 hour if there is an accident. On average during rush hour it is closer to 15-20 minutes.

Don't want to scare you but just want you to be prepared in case something happens.

You're not scaring me...I'm not the one making the drive...I was one of the posters attempting to answer someone's questions.

Well, very true - that's 800 miles of driving for 12+ hours plus stops, indeed a very, very long stretch of driving even with switching drivers. Then, if they coming up the TP, sure - 100% agree, look for something at Exit 8/8A.

Waze/Google Navigation recommending going north on I-81 to I-78, bypassing the DC area (traffic around the Capital Beltway & constructions are just horrible, even on weekends) and then Allentown, PA might be a good place for the night - another 80 miles (about 90 minutes) direct to CL on Sunday morning, which should be an easy one on that route - they will save a bit of money on toll & less likely to run into any unexpected traffic issues.

For a Saturday routing via DC - Baltimore - DE into NJ via I-95 North, I am showing 2 extra hours of driving time as calculated @ 13.5 hours vs. 11.5 hours going thru PA using I-78.

Clock is running down fast & options might be limited - some of the universities/colleges are starting their graduation drills & room inventories could be further reduced. Let's hear from them & fine-tune the assumptions.

How much do I need for tolls coming from DC?

Do I need quarters or are bills fine?

Yes we are leaving here Friday and driving to outskirts of DC. Sightseeing there Saturday then driving few hours to NJ.

Thank you for your advice. I will look at exit 8 hotels.

Days Inn is an acceptable budget hotel in East Windsor right at Exit 8. Look around and post back if you are looking at other options.

Days Inn is an acceptable budget hotel in East Windsor right at Exit 8. Look around and post back if you are looking at other options.

Would you recommend that over the Hilton Garden Inn? We are not familiar with Days Inn but I thought they were not so great.

How much do I need for tolls coming from DC?

Do I need quarters or are bills fine?

Forget quarters - you are going to need lots of bills for this trip, hence - I was suggesting I-81 and I-78 as there's little to no toll on that route. You are sightseeing in the Capitol so that route will be a bit of detour via I-83 just southeast of Baltimore.

Hmmm, I suggest that you look into getting a EZ-Pass and/or see if someone in family, next door neighbor, friend, etc. might have an active electronic toll pass and borrow it for use (reimburse them for $$ as charged) as it will save you lots of time, even on weekend travel thru MD, DE & into NJ and then, driving back. Cash lanes can be notoriously slow & long, plus you will be charged more.

I haven't driven down to DCA in a while, but a quick lookup on the toll charts - about $35 or so based on EZ-Pass discounted rates, higher for paying cash ... you have the BWI harbor tunnel toll, another toll halfway up I-95, and one between MD and DE stateline, one toll between DE & NJ stateline, entry onto the NJTP at Exit 1 - pay when the TP at Exit 8, and, re-entry from Exit 8 & pay when exiting Exit 14A for Cape Liberty.

Some/all of these tolls are high speed lanes when using EZ-Pass at the posted speed limit, without slowing down vs. slowing down & approaching the toll collectors to pay cash, typically bumper-to-bumper for easily 1/8 of a mile or more - that will prolong your travel time by easily 1/4 hour to as much as 1 hour on a bad day.

Otherwise, there are a # of EZ-Pass retail outlets & EZP Service Center where you can buy it for use, on the spot, using a CC or order one online & get it in advance of your trip. Here's the info - https://www.ezpassva.com/EZPages/Retail-Locations.aspx

This article as written, recommend VA as one of the states to get the EZP - if you don't plan to use it, you can alway return it & cancel and will no longer be charged a monthly fee. Here in NY, ours are billed to our CC & we pay no maintenance fee. http://www.dailypress.com/features/shopping/savvy-shopper-blog/dp-analysis-where-should-you-buy-an-ez-pass-20140115-story.html

It will come with easy/simple instructions on how to mount it - basically on the front windshield, with a few exceptions.

Edited by mking8288

Forget quarters - you are going to need lots of bills for this trip, hence - I was suggesting I-81 and I-78 as there's little to no toll on that route. You are sightseeing in the Capitol so that route will be a bit of detour via I-83 just southeast of Baltimore.

Hmmm, I suggest that you look into getting a EZ-Pass and/or see if someone in family, next door neighbor, friend, etc. might have an active electronic toll pass and borrow it for use (reimburse them for $$ as charged) as it will save you lots of time, even on weekend travel thru MD, DE & into NJ and then, driving back. Cash lanes can be notoriously slow & long, plus you will be charged more.

I haven't driven down to DCA in a while, but a quick lookup on the toll charts - about $35 or so based on EZ-Pass discounted rates, higher for paying cash ... you have the BWI harbor tunnel toll, another toll halfway up I-95, and one between MD and DE stateline, one toll between DE & NJ stateline, entry onto the NJTP at Exit 1 - pay when the TP at Exit 8, and, re-entry from Exit 8 & pay when exiting Exit 14A for Cape Liberty.

Some/all of these tolls are high speed lanes when using EZ-Pass at the posted speed limit, without slowing down vs. slowing down & approaching the toll collectors to pay cash, typically bumper-to-bumper for easily 1/8 of a mile or more - that will prolong your travel time by easily 1/4 hour to as much as 1 hour on a bad day.

Otherwise, there are a # of EZ-Pass retail outlets & EZP Service Center where you can buy it for use, on the spot, using a CC or order one online & get it in advance of your trip. Here's the info - https://www.ezpassva.com/EZPages/Retail-Locations.aspx

This article as written, recommend VA as one of the states to get the EZP - if you don't plan to use it, you can alway return it & cancel and will no longer be charged a monthly fee. Here in NY, ours are billed to our CC & we pay no maintenance fee. http://www.dailypress.com/features/shopping/savvy-shopper-blog/dp-analysis-where-should-you-buy-an-ez-pass-20140115-story.html

It will come with easy/simple instructions on how to mount it - basically on the front windshield, with a few exceptions.

This is great advice. I have the Florida Sunpass which like you said lets you fly though the toll plazas instead of stopping and waiting in line. I actually wondered if it would work up east but it only shows the North Carolina quickpass as participating. It would be so easy if they accepted it.

I did consider getting the one up there because we love the FL version, but not sure of any effect of having both. Our FL is the mini which is stuck on the windshield and cannot be removed.

Thank you for all your information and yes I will wave to you from the Summit.

What's your hotel budget?

Don't have a set amount (not that the sky is the limit) but want something clean and in a safe neighborhood.

I usually look at Hilton Garden Inns or Hampton Inns then check reviews on tripadvisor and choose what looks best. Here I also have local experts like you to give good advice. We have stayed at Holiday Inn Express--hubs LOVES the cinnamon rolls--but they seem to have gone downhill a bit.

We usually go to Florida so not so sure about how things are up east.

... I did consider getting the one up there because we love the FL version, but not sure of any effect of having both. Our FL is the mini which is stuck on the windshield and cannot be removed ...

Northeast's EZP has shrink in size from its earlier one, ours have been replaced - battery seemed to last almost infinity, it is removable with HD velco strips provided & comes with a RFID bag to shield it for storage in the glove compartment when not needed or planned for use. We also use it to pay for $$$ airport parking ($30 long-term daily rates at JFK, LOL)

It should be be fine with a 2nd. tag on the front windshield, as I'm sure plenty of interstate truckers got multiple ones for their routes. If the NC pass is accepted & easier, get that one ahead of the trip & free up your Friday to sightsee instead of stopping somewhere to get the EZP. (AAA offices ??)

What are the tolls like coming from upstate New York?

Eastern or Western or Southern Tiers ?? as the routing preference would make a difference, assuming it is driven to Cape Liberty, NJ

From Erie County, as I see in one of your earlier post, mentioned coming from Buffalo - if you come down thru Binghamton down I-81 into PA and onward cross the DWG - there's only 1 toll, westbound only (unless things changed lately) of $1 for pax vehicle at PA/NJ for the bridge crossing and that's about it - coming across I-80 East into Rt. 280 or Rt. 287 to Rt. 78, etc.

Otherwise, I'm sure you can easily lookup the NYST toll calculator/chart if you rather head toward Albany eastward before heading south toward NYC and most typically, take Rt. 17 toward NJ & connect to GSP, etc. Personally, I hate the Thruway so ...

Go to Google Maps, Waze or equivalent, it will nicely map out your options in planning.

Edited by mking8288

Don't have a set amount (not that the sky is the limit) but want something clean and in a safe neighborhood.

I usually look at Hilton Garden Inns or Hampton Inns then check reviews on tripadvisor and choose what looks best. Here I also have local experts like you to give good advice. We have stayed at Holiday Inn Express--hubs LOVES the cinnamon rolls--but they seem to have gone downhill a bit.

We usually go to Florida so not so sure about how things are up east.

Hampton Inn in East Windsor, NJ is booked for 5/21 as is the Holiday Inn.

Look at exit 8A - Cranbury/Jamesburg/Monroe - Courtyard Marriott and Crowne Plaza.

Both these areas are much more suburban/rural than Edison NJ and I think you would feel very comfortable.

We are sailing on Anthem (from Cape Liberty) Saturday, May 14th, and staying at the Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island for 3 nights pre-cruise. We will be going to the 911 Memorial on Friday, May 13th, we have reservations at 11 am. What is the best way to get from South Ferry to the 911 Memorial (it may be raining)? Is there a good place to eat nearby, preferably a Jewish Deli? Thank you for your advice.

We are sailing on Anthem (from Cape Liberty) ... staying at the Hilton Garden Inn ... going to the 911 Memorial on Friday, May 13 ... What is the best way to get from South Ferry to the 911 Memorial (it may be raining)? Is there a good place to eat nearby, preferably a Jewish Deli?

It's an easy 15 minutes walk for 4/5 of a mile - walk north on Whitehall Street (Fraunces Tavern is nearby on Pearl Street & Broad Street) toward Broadway, stop & touch the Charging Bull, popular with tourists & visitors - continue north, passing Trinity Church on your left & continue, turn left on Liberty Street for 2 blocks for the Memorial.

As for places to eat - plentiful, depending on your wallet ... McDonald on Broadway with a doorman, LOL (for real, not kidding - very neat & clean bathroom, and, very busy) Seriously, there is one Jewish Deli that I know of, Stage Door at 26 Vesey St, New York, NY 10007, just northeast of the memorial between Broadway & Church Street, across the street from St. Paul's Chapel. Their posted menu prices are quite very reasonable for NY, quite good - actually vs. Katz Deli on Houston St.

Enjoy your cruise & visit to the memorial.

Edited by mking8288

It's an easy 15 minutes walk for 4/5 of a mile - walk north on Whitehall Street (Fraunces Tavern is nearby on Pearl Street & Broad Street) toward Broadway, stop & touch the Charging Bull, popular with tourists & visitors - continue north, passing Trinity Church on your left & continue, turn left on Liberty Street for 2 blocks for the Memorial.

As for places to eat - plentiful, depending on your wallet ... McDonald on Broadway with a doorman, LOL (for real, not kidding - very neat & clean bathroom, and, very busy) Seriously, there is one Jewish Deli that I know of, Stage Door at 26 Vesey St, New York, NY 10007, just northeast of the memorial between Broadway & Church Street, across the street from St. Paul's Chapel. Their posted menu prices are quite very reasonable for NY, quite good - actually vs. Katz Deli on Houston St.

Enjoy your cruise & visit to the memorial.

This is hardly a "Jewish deli". "Jewish delis" don't have things like shrimp salad on their menu, even if they're only "kosher style" as opposed to being an actual kosher deli (and Katz's is only kosher style).

If someone is in downtown Manhattan and wants to try a kosher or kosher style deli, they should be going to Katz's. There really is no other choice.

This is hardly a "Jewish deli". "Jewish delis" don't have things like shrimp salad on their menu, even if they're only "kosher style" as opposed to being an actual kosher deli (and Katz's is only kosher style).

If someone is in downtown Manhattan and wants to try a kosher or kosher style deli, they should be going to Katz's. There really is no other choice.

Thanks for the info. I should have said "Jewish style" or "Kosher style". I grew up on Staten Island so I should know the difference. The last time my daughter was in NY, the wait for Katz's was about an hour. Really all I am looking for is a good Pastrami sandwich.

Thanks for the info. I should have said "Jewish style" or "Kosher style". I grew up on Staten Island so I should know the difference. The last time my daughter was in NY, the wait for Katz's was about an hour. Really all I am looking for is a good Pastrami sandwich.

I also grew up on Staten Island...I graduated from Curtis High School in 1963.

I don't have the foggiest idea of where you can get a good pastrami sandwich in downtown Manhattan other than at Katz's because I wouldn't consider going elsewhere when I'm in that area. 😁

Heck, on Monday I just had a pastrami sandwich at what I think is the only remaining kosher deli within an easy drive of my home in central NJ, and even that wasn't what it used to be. They used to make their pastrami in house, but now they buy premade pastrami from Hebrew National. Acceptable, but not the good stuff that they used to make there and still do at Katz's.

I don't have the foggiest idea of where you can get a good pastrami sandwich in downtown Manhattan other than at Katz's because I wouldn't consider going elsewhere when I'm in that area. 😁

Heck, on Monday I just had a pastrami sandwich at what I think is the only remaining kosher deli within an easy drive of my home in central NJ, and even that wasn't what it used to be. They used to make their pastrami in house, but now they buy premade pastrami from Hebrew National. Acceptable, but not the good stuff that they used to make there and still do at Katz's.

Thanks again. Curtis '52.

My wife and I graduated from Curtis in 1964.I played football and baseball all

4 years and my wife Joanne was a cheerleader.We now live on Todt Hill.Remember Carnegie deli,but the best is KATZ.

Tom

My wife and I graduated from Curtis in 1964.I played football and baseball all

4 years and my wife Joanne was a cheerleader.We now live on Todt Hill.Remember Carnegie deli,but the best is KATZ.

Tom

Tom:

You're really stirring up some memories of the great people you played for and with... coaches Andy Barberi, Bert Levinson; your teammates Terry Crowley, the late Sonny Ruberto, Danny McDermott, Frank Fernandez. When Frank was a backup catcher with the Yankees I used to get bleacher seats at Yankee Stadium and sit right next to the fence adjacent to the bullpen so I could BS with him. In those days you could do something like that...but those days are long gone.

It's so easy to remember the baseball players because the team was so good in that era (and because I knew some of guys even before high school)...the football team was another story. ;)

I'm not going to say what elementary school I attended, because the memories might really get out of hand then...:o

Paul