CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

And what about on the way back? Do you carry them if yourselves?
Sorry for the late reply. We left Anthem early, but did not self-disembark. At the luggage pickup area, there were porters (as was previously mentioned.)

While our porter did not go into the garage with us, we were able to drive our car to the ground floor of the garage (we didn't exit the garage), and meet the porter along the right side of the garage (as you are facing the garage from the outside.) We let the people directing traffic inside the garage know that we were meeting the porter.

It was easy for the porter to carry the luggage a few feet from his cart to the car. Gave him a nice tip for his time and to show our appreciation. This was in December, 2015. Maybe someone could confirm that this process still works. Rob

Funbobby68, I'll make a crazy suggestion. If you really want to stay in Manhattan, I'll suggest you consider The Jane. I tried September 6-8 and they came up with a price of $270 for a bunk bed cabin with shared bath.

The Jane has a bit of history with seafarers and was one of the first refuges for survivors of the Titanic. It is NOT a luxury hotel and for a good price you need to be able to cope with a tiny (but clean) room and shared bath but I enjoyed my two stays there. The first photo is my (single) room from my first stay there. I think most bunk bed cabins would be like this with a second bunk above it.

https://yulcircle.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/jane537.jpg

On my second visit I opted for a bunk bed cabin hoping to put my excess bags on the upper bunk. I was surprised instead to get a still small but nicer room. You might just get lucky.

https://amazonextended.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/jane403.jpg

Here's an exterior view. I believe there's also a PATH station nearby.

https://amazonextended.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/thejane.jpg

I have stayed in both the Jane and the Robert Treat. For myself, if flying to Newark and sailing from Port Liberty I would book the Treat, but I've been to New York often. If you think you can live with the conditions and want to be in New York it's worth a look.

Roy

Funbobby68, I'll make a crazy suggestion. If you really want to stay in Manhattan, I'll suggest you consider The Jane. I tried September 6-8 and they came up with a price of $270 for a bunk bed cabin with shared bath.

The Jane has a bit of history with seafarers and was one of the first refuges for survivors of the Titanic. It is NOT a luxury hotel and for a good price you need to be able to cope with a tiny (but clean) room and shared bath but I enjoyed my two stays there. The first photo is my (single) room from my first stay there. I think most bunk bed cabins would be like this with a second bunk above it.

https://yulcircle.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/jane537.jpg

On my second visit I opted for a bunk bed cabin hoping to put my excess bags on the upper bunk. I was surprised instead to get a still small but nicer room. You might just get lucky.

https://amazonextended.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/jane403.jpg

Here's an exterior view. I believe there's also a PATH station nearby.

https://amazonextended.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/thejane.jpg

I have stayed in both the Jane and the Robert Treat. For myself, if flying to Newark and sailing from Port Liberty I would book the Treat, but I've been to New York often. If you think you can live with the conditions and want to be in New York it's worth a look.

Roy

Thanks for posting this budget suggestion. I decided to try the Robert Treat last year and was pleasantly surprised. Given its price point, I found the hotel to be unexpectedly nice - located on a quiet street facing a park (it's still the city, so there can be noise), buffed up rooms with all the expected amenities, shuttles, free breakfast, full service dining, elegant public areas from a bygone era. I would definitely stay there again in a heartbeat over the well used airport hotels with spotty services.

That's fantastic , looks exactly what I would expect for a New York hotel , wife and I were talking this morning , and figure we will stay in the city and just pay for a town car to the pier on departure day , from what I gather it's approximately 150.00 for the ride ... Kinda thinking that since it's our first trip to NY , we don't want to spoil the experience with transit nightmares

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That's fantastic , looks exactly what I would expect for a New York hotel , wife and I were talking this morning , and figure we will stay in the city and just pay for a town car to the pier on departure day , from what I gather it's approximately 150.00 for the ride ... Kinda thinking that since it's our first trip to NY , we don't want to spoil the experience with transit nightmares

Just curious as to which hotel you were referring to. The Robert Treat is in Newark, NJ, the Jane in Manhattan.

Bunk beds and a shared bath at the Jane are definitely not what most people would expect for a NY hotel. Note the poster said "if you think you can live with the conditions".

Edited by njhorseman

Was thinking the Jane , we are ok with a little room as long as it's clean , and close to everything ,

Honestly I don't consider a hotel on the Hudson River near West 12th "close to everything". Only the Whitney Museum and the high line are close. You will have a 7-10 block walk to the nearest subways, so you're going to have to deal with public transit anyway to get anywhere.

Sounds like a serious challenge to get from A to B in New York

It does require planning for out of town visitors. Take a serious look at the various transportation maps I posted in #1899. New Yorkers do a lot of walking and use the subways, buses and taxis. IMO you have to know what you want to do and plan for it. Certain places like going out to the Statue of Liberty or up the Empire State require time and reservations. Folks on this board can help you make a plan. You can do a lot in a day or two, but it's just not possible to do everything. As I've said before, it's trying to come up with a balance of time, money, and stress.

One one of our last cruises , ran into a local from New York, and he suggested......if memory serves, a harbour dinner cruise , he said it was wonderful and even local do it .... Any idea what he was referencing and what to look at

One one of our last cruises , ran into a local from New York, and he suggested......if memory serves, a harbour dinner cruise , he said it was wonderful and even local do it .... Any idea what he was referencing and what to look at

Google is your friend. Google 'New York dinner cruise'. There are several options at $100+.

Google is your friend. Google 'New York dinner cruise'. There are several options at $100+.

Pretty sure the guys name I talked to wasn't Google LOL , was looking more to advise to if they are worth doing , personally I have done harbour cruises before on the west coast and was underwhelmed , but could have more to do with it was my own stomping grounds

... looking more to advise to if they are worth doing , personally I have done harbour cruises before on the west coast and was underwhelmed, but ...

IMO, save your money - it's the Sprirt dinner cruise on the Hudson @ Chelsea piers - buffet style, all you can eat - rather limited selections. By the time you added up everything, plus parking/ride to & from the pier to hotel - you could've dine on land for far superior food, cooked to order, for 25% to 50% less. We done it twice, once for a corporate fundraiser and once as employee appreciation by HQ for the senior management group, during the holidays - not impressed at all.

Actually, I don't recall what we ate & just lookup their current dinner/lunch/brunch menu - can't even compete with Carnival's buffet - the view is okay as it circled around Lower Manhattan. You are better off dining on the waterfront at the East River, Dumbo or LIC and come out way ahead.

As for the Jane Hotel near the Hudson, it's way out in nowhere's land, a good walk from the nearest 8th. Avenue subway, neighborhood is safe & clean and gentrified as luxury condo continued to go up - especially with the Highline becoming a popular tourist attraction. Google NYC's HQ building is nearby but it's not open to visitors but the nearby Chelsea Market with the shops & restaurants - great fresh seafood - is worth a visit while in the area. September is high season for hotels in NYC, but @ $270 a night (before taxes & fees) - it reminds me of residency at one of the many YMCA housing, still running in Manhattan - better off checking out some of the 2 stars on the Lower East Side, some of them are new & popular with the Mega & Bolt bus crowds in the Chinatown area. Or, give Hotwire or Priceline a shot in coming up with something better & possibly for less (didn't look myself) ... point is, there are better & nicer choices in NYC (and, across the river, a quick Path train ride away)

Edited by mking8288

<SNIP>

September is high season for hotels in NYC, but @ $270 a night (before taxes & fees) - it reminds me of residency at one of the many YMCA housing, <SNIP>

Not $270 per night. $270 total for 2 nights, including taxes and fees, and yes I have stayed there.

Roy

I am wondering if anyone has experience with using "The New York City Explorer Pass", "New York City Pass", or any of the others that might be available.

Thanks again, Rhonda

We used the New York City Pass in 2012....what type of questions did you have?

As our cruise is on Thursday, July 14th we plan to drive from Boston Tuesday and on Wednesday take the PATH to the WTC and explore lower Manhattan. I am trying to decide on a hotel, two rooms, two nights. Looking at Courtyard Marriott Secaucus, Courtyard Newark, Robert Treat. I would love the location of the Newark Penn Station Hilton, but for a little less money. Suggestions? Thanks.

We used the New York City Pass in 2012....what type of questions did you have?

The card sounds like a good idea, was it easy to use, were there any extra costs at any venues that you were using the card for?

Thanks,

Rhonda

Edited by Bronx12

No every sitw we went to the card paid for it. Even a couple got us fast tracked to get to get in quicker. I mean obviously food and souvenirs were separate. We were even able to take a water taxi from down by the 911 site past the SOL and dripped us off up in Midtown by our hotel not far from Times sq. One note if you arrive late 1 night and have the next few days to sight see pick up the card the first full day as the w4 or 48 hours start as soon as you pick it up. ..let me know if you have any other questions. We loved it and saved us sooo much money, would do it again .

As our cruise is on Thursday, July 14th we plan to drive from Boston Tuesday and on Wednesday take the PATH to the WTC and explore lower Manhattan. I am trying to decide on a hotel, two rooms, two nights. Looking at Courtyard Marriott Secaucus, Courtyard Newark, Robert Treat. I would love the location of the Newark Penn Station Hilton, but for a little less money. Suggestions? Thanks.

Seriously consider the Robert Treat, which is about 5 blocks from the Newark Penn Station Hilton and offers a free shuttle to Newark Penn Station that runs about every half hour. They also offer free parking (and free breakfast) but I would call the hotel to find out how that works and to be sure you will have a space. Coming back you can call for the shuttle, but if the wait time doesn't suit, you can take a cab for about $10. Walking to the hotel in the evening is not recommended.

The other hotels you are looking at are not at all convenient to PATH. From a Newark Airport hotel you will pay $22/pp rt to go to Manhattan. It is possible to drive to a PATH station and pay to park, but even that could be difficult on a weekday morning when the early bird commuters will fill up the spaces. From Secaucus you can take the bus to Port Authority and the subway downtown, but it's a more time consuming trip and costs about $12/pp rt.

Currently we have a room booked at the Hampton Inn & Suites Staten Island before our Anthem cruise in August. Should I change this to a different location? Is getting to the Bayonne pier going to be a problem?

Please provide more details. Exact date? Are you flying or driving? If driving, are you using a shuttle or parking at the pier? What route are you coming in on from IL?

Bayonne Bridge closures have been an issue for folks staying on Staten Island. There are now daily weekday closures plus more frequent weekend closures. IMO right now there is little advantage to paying a $10-15 toll to get to a Staten Island hotel and then have to come back through NJ to get to Cape Liberty.

If you're driving and not sightseeing in NYC, there are nice less expensive places to stay about 45 minutes from the port.

Please provide more details. Exact date? Are you flying or driving? If driving, are you using a shuttle or parking at the pier? What route are you coming in on from IL?

Bayonne Bridge closures have been an issue for folks staying on Staten Island. There are now daily weekday closures plus more frequent weekend closures. IMO right now there is little advantage to paying a $10-15 toll to get to a Staten Island hotel and then have to come back through NJ to get to Cape Liberty.

If you're driving and not sightseeing in NYC, there are nice less expensive places to stay about 45 minutes from the port.

We are flying in to Newark airport on August Wed 24th and our cruise leaves Thursday Aug 25th.

Currently we have a room booked at the Hampton Inn & Suites Staten Island before our Anthem cruise in August. Should I change this to a different location? Is getting to the Bayonne pier going to be a problem?

Getting to Cape Liberty from the Staten Island Hampton is not a problem.

It's only a few blocks from the Staten Island Expwy. Goes to Goethals

Bridge then onto NJ Turnpike North to Exit 14A and Bayonne.

The hotel does have a shuttle to Bayonne and Newark Airport,

but it might just be for special packages. You would have to call them for details.

The Hampton is not a bad hotel. It's across from the Hilton. There is really

nothing in the area other than Industrial/Office parks. Adjacent areas are

not really good to walk around in. There is new building construction going on

in the complex where the Hampton is located.

Personally, I see no real travel advantage in booking there.