CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Uggh I just tried to book our transfer from ship to EWR via Celebrity for our 12:15pm flight and they said it is too early they recommend 1pm...I know I was told noon by a rep at celebrity which is why I booked that flight. I guess we will try the port shuttle or a regular taxi. I saw a price stating regular taxis were $50-60...is this including the tolls? Since the ship transfer is now out...anyone have an opinion on which is better taxi or port shuttle? I am now stressed we wont make our flight on time and we have to do non-self-disembark as I cant help carry the luggage anymore. We did it a long time ago and it was a nightmare, with no elevators as they were jammed and such, and I cant carry them anymore. We will be on deck 2 on the Summit. :eek:

Relax. You will make the flight if the ship is reasonably on time. This is what I recommend:

1). Get a quote from Dial7 or Carmel limo. Look around for online coupons. Figure a base price, tolls $1.65, plus 18-20% tip. Book a 10 am pickup.

2). When you get on the ship, go to guest services and tell them you need a 8:30 or 9:00 departure which will get your luggage offloaded first.

3). Be sure your cell phone is charged so you can communicate with the driver.

4). Walk off the ship around 9 am.

Sunday is the lowest traffic day of the week, so you should get to the airport quickly. Forget worrying about whether you can get a random shuttle or taxi.

Ok just called dial 7 and they are saying tolls are $15...

No. The tolls to EWR are less than $2, as Carol already said. Did they perhaps think you were going to LGA or JFK rather than EWR?

One piece of advice...you need to be picked up earlier than 10 am. TSA security lines have been very long at EWR and are probably going to be even longer during the peak summer travel season. I recommend a car service pick up no later than 9:30.

Edited by njhorseman

No. The tolls to EWR are less than $2, as Carol already said. Did they perhaps think you were going to LGA or JFK rather than EWR?

One piece of advice...you need to be picked up earlier than 10 am. TSA security lines have been very long at EWR and are probably going to be even longer during the peak summer travel season. I recommend a car service pick up no later than 9:30.

Good advice if EWR has been having long security lines.

When i called for the quote i said i was coming from Cape liberty port going to Newark Airport. ..she said 50 for the car plus toll and tip. I asked what are the tolls she said 15.

Call them back. $15 is the toll into NYC. Whoever you got on the phone could be used to quoting the tunnel toll.

We've stayed at the Hilton Penn station at least 4-5 times and have never felt unsafe walking. We love Don Pepe's and it's in walking distance, but we'll see. I was just wondering about transportation more than anything else. If we're going to be in Newark, we want to eat Portugese/Spanish so we'll see what we do. Only reason we're staying there instead of the Hilton is DH has a "free" night with Marriott to use. I highly doubt that a Courtyard has a bellman. We will take a taxi from the station to the hotel.

they may, and that person may double as the valet...

I was just offering advice, didnt know you'd stayed downtown before ....this hotel is sort of borderline on the not so nice side of town....

The front desk, if no bellman or reasonable facsimile thereof, will get you a cab/car and should be able to firm up the cost...

I just got off the Summit on Sunday. Barring a delay in the ship being cleared you should be fine. I was not in a rush and had a 9-9:30 departure time with luggage tag #24 and was off the ship by 9:15. If you request an early time with a low luggage tag number I imagine you will get off around 8:30.

BTW, your deck does not matter in terms of when you get off. Also one exits the ship from deck 4.

I just got off the Summit on Sunday. Barring a delay in the ship being cleared you should be fine. I was not in a rush and had a 9-9:30 departure time with luggage tag #24 and was off the ship by 9:15. If you request an early time with a low luggage tag number I imagine you will get off around 8:30.

BTW, your deck does not matter in terms of when you get off. Also one exits the ship from deck 4.

Great thank you...this makes me feel sooo much better. Will be sure to ask for that early and low tag # option...if they cant accommodate our plan b will be to do express and just make sure to leave the room early enough to either allow enough time of lugging the luggage up couple at a time while one keeps an eye on them or get to the elevators early, and take them up to deck 4. Where we will sit in one of the public areas and then can take turns going to get light breakfast at Cafe al Bacio.

Great thank you...this makes me feel sooo much better. Will be sure to ask for that early and low tag # option...if they cant accommodate our plan b will be to do express and just make sure to leave the room early enough to either allow enough time of lugging the luggage up couple at a time while one keeps an eye on them or get to the elevators early, and take them up to deck 4. Where we will sit in one of the public areas and then can take turns going to get light breakfast at Cafe al Bacio.

I am going to have your same issue in October getting off the Summit on a Sunday with a 12:00 noon flight out of EWR. I am planning to do the same thing you are, early disembarkation with a car service hopefully waiting. I too will shoot for a 9:30 a.m. pickup time. Would you mind posting your experience on this site upon your return so I know how it worked for you and if I will need to do anything differently? Thank you!

Connie

I am going to have your same issue in October getting off the Summit on a Sunday with a 12:00 noon flight out of EWR. I am planning to do the same thing you are, early disembarkation with a car service hopefully waiting. I too will shoot for a 9:30 a.m. pickup time. Would you mind posting your experience on this site upon your return so I know how it worked for you and if I will need to do anything differently? Thank you!

Connie

I sure will. We found out that the hotel we are staying at has a shuttle service from ship to airport. I knew that they had hotel to ship, but they said they do offer a ship back to hotel or ship to airport. Their shuttle picks up at 8, 9, 11, noon and 1. So we are aiming to try to catch that 9am shuttle to the airport. But will need to find out if we miss it and have to take alternative transport if we can get a refund. We are staying at the Country Inn in Elizabeth. I found a post from someone that said they just arrived back on 5/8 and the first time for non express walk off was at 8 am. I asked that poster how customs was on a Sunday. Will let you know what I find out.

Connie

When you fill out the disembarkation form just check the first option to get off which I think is 8 am - 8:15 am. We usually get off around 8:30 am and we are home in CT at 9:45 am grocery shopping. Unless something unforseen happens where they are delayed docking and disembarkation your will be fine.

When you fill out the disembarkation form just check the first option to get off which I think is 8 am - 8:15 am. We usually get off around 8:30 am and we are home in CT at 9:45 am grocery shopping. Unless something unforseen happens where they are delayed docking and disembarkation your will be fine.

Great thanks for the advice. Will do that

Does RCCL offer a transfer from the ship to Penn Station in NYC? If not, is there an estimate on the cost of a taxi for that trip? Thank yoou

I don't think they do but in any case I'll suggest a taxi instead to Penn Station NEWARK.

Roy

I don't think they do but in any case I'll suggest a taxi instead to Penn Station NEWARK.

Roy

Absolutely go to Newark Penn Station (not Newark Airport Station) if you're going to Washington, DC. Cost is about the same as going to the airport. There is no vehicle access at Newark Airport Station, which means you have to go to the P4 Airtrain station and ride the free Airtrain to the Newark Airport station.

Absolutely go to Newark Penn Station (not Newark Airport Station) if you're going to Washington, DC. Cost is about the same as going to the airport. There is no vehicle access at Newark Airport Station, which means you have to go to the P4 Airtrain station and ride the free Airtrain to the Newark Airport station.

And the AirTrain isn't free if you're using It get to or from an Amtrak or NJ Transit train at Newark Airport Station. A surcharge...about $ 5 or $5.50 is added to the price of your railroad ticket if you're making a transfer to or from the AirTrain.

Thank you for the information. I will do that. Maybe I can shoot for a 9:15 car service pickup depending on how long it takes to get through Customs on a Sunday!

Connie

I sure will. We found out that the hotel we are staying at has a shuttle service from ship to airport. I knew that they had hotel to ship, but they said they do offer a ship back to hotel or ship to airport. Their shuttle picks up at 8, 9, 11, noon and 1. So we are aiming to try to catch that 9am shuttle to the airport. But will need to find out if we miss it and have to take alternative transport if we can get a refund. We are staying at the Country Inn in Elizabeth. I found a post from someone that said they just arrived back on 5/8 and the first time for non express walk off was at 8 am. I asked that poster how customs was on a Sunday. Will let you know what I find out.

Yes, I would appreciate any information you come up with on the process as well as getting through Customs on a Sunday!

Connie

On another thread. .it was a live from the summit, a poster said if we took the first time off at 8/815 gathered our bags in the terminal then thru customs we would probably have 30 minutes before the shuttle from our hotel at 9am...but will for sure let you know when we get back in august. So i am glad we don't have to haul our own bags.

What hotel are you staying at?? I would love to get a shuttle from hotel to ship..

What hotel are you staying at?? I would love to get a shuttle from hotel to ship..

Here is the hotel info for where we are staying.

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark Airport, NJ

100 Glimcher Realty Way

Elizabeth NJ 07201

United States

+1 908-282-0020

I think they recently renamed the street but here is their website too

http://www.countryinns.com/elizabeth-hotel-nj-07201/njnewark

they have free airport to hotel shuttle. Then the shuttle for hotel to pier is $17.50pp or if you want the round trip which has 2 options:

1. hotel to pier, then pier to hotel

2. hotel to pier, then pier to airport

these are $35pp. The shuttle to the piers are at 10 and noon and when you check in you choose what type of shuttle service you want and the time to go to the pier and then pay there as well. We got a room there for $180 for the one night, king. There are a couple restaurants in the area and a mall as well....so you can pick up some items if you forgot anything. No liquor sold near there i believe. There is a metro mart in the mall, that says it is convenience but dont know what is truly sold in it...can report back after we go in August.

Hey all my wife and I have been on a couple cruises out of Port Canaveral having flown and using shuttles to get to the port, but we will be going out of Cape Liberty on the July 14th RCCL Anthem of the Seas, and I am having a few issues figuring out everything since for this one we are driving to the port ourselves. I have been looking up parking for the area and the only ones I see are Premier Parking (horrible reviews, bad stories) which we will not be parking at, finding a hotel to park at and getting a shuttle (my wife has nixed that idea), and parking at the garage at the port for $20 a day. So for us it looks like the garage is our best bet but there is no way to reserve in advance so I guess my questions are:

how is parking there meaning are there lots of spaces or do we run the risk of not having anywhere to park?

is the garage easy to find for that matter is the port easy to find and navigate

how early do they allow you to begin parking on the day of your cruise

and last but not least any help or suggestions about making our lives easier when we arrive at the port would be greatly appeciated!

Sorry if this post is way to long or if these questions have already been asked this thread is just so long!

Thanks for all your help!

Chris:)

countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=Jayncrs&date=7-14-2016&text=&ship=Anthem of the Seas

Edited by jayncrs
Add Banner