CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Hey all my wife and I have been on a couple cruises out of Port Canaveral having flown and using shuttles to get to the port, but we will be going out of Cape Liberty on the July 14th RCCL Anthem of the Seas, and I am having a few issues figuring out everything since for this one we are driving to the port ourselves. I have been looking up parking for the area and the only ones I see are Premier Parking (horrible reviews, bad stories) which we will not be parking at, finding a hotel to park at and getting a shuttle (my wife has nixed that idea), and parking at the garage at the port for $20 a day. So for us it looks like the garage is our best bet but there is no way to reserve in advance so I guess my questions are:

how is parking there meaning are there lots of spaces or do we run the risk of not having anywhere to park? In addition to the new 900 space garage, there is still tons of outdoor lot parking right near the terminal

is the garage easy to find for that matter is the port easy to find and navigate

what route are you coming in from Ohio? The port is at exit 14A of the NJ Turnpike. The exit is currently under construction and can be unpredictable. Ask this question closer to your date.

how early do they allow you to begin parking on the day of your cruiseYou are sailing on a Thur. Given the NY metro rush hour traffic, there is no reason to arrive before 10 am

and last but not least any help or suggestions about making our lives easier when we arrive at the port would be greatly appeciated!

Sorry if this post is way to long or if these questions have already been asked this thread is just so long!

Thanks for all your help!

Chris:)

countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=Jayncrs&date=7-14-2016&text=&ship=Anthem of the Seas

Your route in from Ohio is important. What I often suggest is that folks plan to stay about 45 minutes from the port in an area like Parsipanny, NJ or East Windsor/Cranbury NJ. The hotels in those areas are nice suburban hotels with access to restaurants, shopping, and services. After a long drive these are good areas to get off the road so you don't have to deal with the congested and confusing area around Newark Airport. Newark Airport hotels are just that - airport hotels - and are 10-11 miles from the port. None of them are wonderful and almost all charge an extra fee for parking. Many hotels offer free breakfast, but have no other real food service. They tend to be in isolated areas with no selection of restaurants and no other services. If you leave these areas about 9 am you should miss the brunt of the rush hour and arrive by 10 am at the port.

Absolutely go to Newark Penn Station (not Newark Airport Station) if you're going to Washington, DC. Cost is about the same as going to the airport. There is no vehicle access at Newark Airport Station, which means you have to go to the P4 Airtrain station and ride the free Airtrain to the Newark Airport station.

We are concerned we won't be able to get seats together if we get on the train in Newark. That is why we were planning on going into Manhattan to catch the train, and have the Red Cap take us down before the crowd. Is it difficult and expensive going to Penn Station NYC from the pier?

Edited by Darrell6t

We are concerned we won't be able to get seats together if we get on the train in Newark. That is why we were planning on going into Manhattan to catch the train, and have the Red Cap take us down before the crowd. Is it difficult and expensive going to Penn Station NYC from the pier?

I don't think that is likely to be an issue, but if concerned my suggestion would be a shuttle or taxi to Newark Penn station and then NJ Transit into New York. I think it would be both cheaper and easier than a taxi into Manhattan. Are you thinking Acela or a regular train. For a regular train I'd suggest business class which tends to be less crowded than coach. I'm just passing through Newark on a train from Richmond to Boston, and there are several empty rows in Business.

Be aware that most of these trains originate in Boston, so the loading pattern is probably not a lot different between Newark and New York.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

What time are you booked from New York Penn Station? A car service to NY Penn Station would run about $100.

Your route in from Ohio is important. What I often suggest is that folks plan to stay about 45 minutes from the port in an area like Parsipanny, NJ or East Windsor/Cranbury NJ. The hotels in those areas are nice suburban hotels with access to restaurants, shopping, and services. After a long drive these are good areas to get off the road so you don't have to deal with the congested and confusing area around Newark Airport. Newark Airport hotels are just that - airport hotels - and are 10-11 miles from the port. None of them are wonderful and almost all charge an extra fee for parking. Many hotels offer free breakfast, but have no other real food service. They tend to be in isolated areas with no selection of restaurants and no other services. If you leave these areas about 9 am you should miss the brunt of the rush hour and arrive by 10 am at the port.

Thank you so much for all the information Carol! I really appreciate it!

I don't think that is likely to be an issue, but if concerned my suggestion would be a shuttle or taxi to Newark Penn station and then NJ Transit into New York. I think it would be both cheaper and easier than a taxi into Manhattan.

Roy

I think that is an excellent idea. If we get to Newark Penn Station early enough, that should work pretty well. Or we can just sit apart until Philadelphia where some sears will probably empty. Thank you.

We will be sailing on the Anthem in a couple weeks, flying in to EWR the morning of departure and using a car service to get to the port. Can anyone recommend a place to buy our two bottles of wine en route? Wondering how difficult this is to do and how much it will add to the cost of our car service. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We will be sailing on the Anthem in a couple weeks, flying in to EWR the morning of departure and using a car service to get to the port. Can anyone recommend a place to buy our two bottles of wine en route? Wondering how difficult this is to do and how much it will add to the cost of our car service. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Buying wine is tough. Look at the Wine Warehouse.

Cove Commons, 1 Lefante Way, Bayonne, NJ 07002

Opens at 9:00 AM

(201) 858-2727

Contact your car service and ask what they would charge. I'm guessing $15-20. Also call the wine store to see if they can have the wine ready to pick up.

Here is the hotel info for where we are staying.

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark Airport, NJ

100 Glimcher Realty Way

Elizabeth NJ 07201

United States

+1 908-282-0020

I think they recently renamed the street but here is their website too

http://www.countryinns.com/elizabeth-hotel-nj-07201/njnewark

they have free airport to hotel shuttle. Then the shuttle for hotel to pier is $17.50pp or if you want the round trip which has 2 options:

1. hotel to pier, then pier to hotel

2. hotel to pier, then pier to airport

these are $35pp. The shuttle to the piers are at 10 and noon and when you check in you choose what type of shuttle service you want and the time to go to the pier and then pay there as well. We got a room there for $180 for the one night, king. There are a couple restaurants in the area and a mall as well....so you can pick up some items if you forgot anything. No liquor sold near there i believe. There is a metro mart in the mall, that says it is convenience but dont know what is truly sold in it...can report back after we go in August.

Thanks so much for this info. Have a reservation here for Sept. 17th before we board The Celebrity Summit on the 18th. I knew about the shuttle offered to Cape Liberty but was unaware of being able to be picked up on 10/2 and delivered to Newark Airport. Called the hotel and sure enough, it's true and a great price for only $35 pp compared to other services. Guess that may account for the hotel being sold out for Sept 17th!! Thanks again for the information. :)

Thanks so much for this info. Have a reservation here for Sept. 17th before we board The Celebrity Summit on the 18th. I knew about the shuttle offered to Cape Liberty but was unaware of being able to be picked up on 10/2 and delivered to Newark Airport. Called the hotel and sure enough, it's true and a great price for only $35 pp compared to other services. Guess that may account for the hotel being sold out for Sept 17th!! Thanks again for the information. :)

You are very welcome!!! Glad to help.

Question to Carol.

You mentioned in one of your responses that the exit 14A of the NJ Turnpike "is currently under construction and can be unpredictable".

Do you have any details on this?

Thanks.

Question to Carol.

You mentioned in one of your responses that the exit 14A of the NJ Turnpike "is currently under construction and can be unpredictable".

Do you have any details on this?

Thanks.

Quite frankly we all rely on our local Bayonne posters to provide updates as changes are made to the traffic pattern. The interchange is ripped up. The most current advice is to stay left and follow the signs to route 440 south.

I was most recently through there in March and that's what I did. It really wasn't that bad - there were lanes through the confusion and the traffic moved, but the road was beat up.

Quite frankly we all rely on our local Bayonne posters to provide updates as changes are made to the traffic pattern. The interchange is ripped up. The most current advice is to stay left and follow the signs to route 440 south.

I was most recently through there in March and that's what I did. It really wasn't that bad - there were lanes through the confusion and the traffic moved, but the road was beat up.

Thanks Carol. I'm sure we'll make it to the ship :)

Here's a site to figure it out. Put in your starting exit number and your ending exit number. Then select Cash or E-Z Peak or EZ off peak to get the various rates.

http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/toll-cars-2012.html

Guess dial 7 rip people off on the toll . Will never use them again . Shows 1.65 cash or 135 for ezpass they charged us 15.00.

Edited by Shawna&Kristi

Guess dial 7 rip people off on the toll . Will never use them again . Shows 1.65 cash or 135 for ezpass they charged us 15.00.

If the car was dispatched from a location in NY City, which is quite possible, they would be within their rights to charge you for the toll to get across the river to NJ.

Anyone used Ace car service before? I want to book for pick up from Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth to cruise port. Want to make sure they are reliable. Any idea on price range, we have 9 people.;)

This hotel offers a shuttle to the pier and also offers a return trip either back to the hotel or to the airport. If you are doing just hotel to ship it is 17.50 pp if you do r/t it is 35pp. You just decide which time...the shuttles to the port leave at 10 or noon, and then if you do r/t you decide if you go back to the hotel or straight to the airport. You do this when you check in to the hotel.

Anyone used Ace car service before? I want to book for pick up from Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth to cruise port. Want to make sure they are reliable. Any idea on price range, we have 9 people.;)

Call these folks for a quote. They are a no frills operation that takes reservations 4-6 weeks out. No web site. I booked a group of 7 a few years ago and other posters on this forum have used them since.

Independent driver - 888-816-0973

inde.drvr@gmail.com

Call these folks for a quote. They are a no frills operation that takes reservations 4-6 weeks out. No web site. I booked a group of 7 a few years ago and other posters on this forum have used them since.

Independent driver - 888-816-0973

inde.drvr@gmail.com

Hi, we are sailing on the X Summit Oct 2 out of Cape Liberty. We want to stay near Central Park in NYC the night before but don't have a clue where to stay or what transportation we should use to get to the port. Can you give us some ideas?

:cool: