CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Hi, we are sailing on the X Summit Oct 2 out of Cape Liberty. We want to stay near Central Park in NYC the night before but don't have a clue where to stay or what transportation we should use to get to the port. Can you give us some ideas?

:cool:

What's your hotel budget? Two people? Is there a special reason you want to stay near Central Park?

You need to book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo to go to Cape Liberty. Do not take a NYC cab.

What's your hotel budget? Two people? Is there a special reason you want to stay near Central Park?

You need to book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo to go to Cape Liberty. Do not take a NYC cab.

Thanks for your quick reply. We need a room for just my husband and I and it looks like a room will run $200+. We want to see Central Park and the 911 Memorial so we just assumed that would be a good area to stay. We are quite clueless about NYC so we will welcome all suggestions.

Thanks for your quick reply. We need a room for just my husband and I and it looks like a room will run $200+. We want to see Central Park and the 911 Memorial so we just assumed that would be a good area to stay. We are quite clueless about NYC so we will welcome all suggestions.

I'm assuming you're flying in on Oct 1. What time does your flight arrive and what Airport does it come into? What do you want to see in Central Park?

I'm assuming you're flying in on Oct 1. What time does your flight arrive and what Airport does it come into? What do you want to see in Central Park?

We are flying into Laguardia on 10-1. We arrive at 1:00 pm. We just want to see the Park. I understand it is beautiful. I am open to suggestions.

We are flying into Laguardia on 10-1. We arrive at 1:00 pm. We just want to see the Park. I understand it is beautiful. I am open to suggestions.

Read this thread where seeing both Central Park and the 911 memorial was discussed with someone cruising from Manhattan. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2357748

Bottom line - by the time you arrive and get to any hotel, it will be 2:30 pm. If you stay in Midtown, you can take the subway downtown to the 911 memorial and do Central Park in the morning before being picked up to go to Cape Liberty. The hotel suggestions in the other post are good, but the Hilton Times Square is booked for your date. Aa.com has the Sheraton Times Square for $219 + $38 tax. Last minute travel has the Hilton midtown for $312 tax included.

We just returned from our Anthem cruise. I want to thank 138 East and all the other contributors for the great advice we were given. We stayed pre cruise at the Staten Island Hilton Garden Inn. 911 Memorial and Museum are a must see if you can take the time. EWR departure was a breeze. TSA was easy, no long lines and pleasant agents. Departure from pier on RCI shuttle to airport was easy. We booked the transfer on line pre cruise.

If anyone has any Bayonne-specific questions (condition of the Turnpike interchange, the Bayonne bridge closures, places to eat) feel free to message me or post here. :)

Baileymouse: thanks for posting. we're sailing June 5 on Summit, so we'll probably reach out to you around the 3rd to check on the Tpke exit construction. we'll be coming from Philly.

A few years ago, Summit was delayed by a storm and we had 6 hours to kill before we could board -- we enjoyed a great breakfast at the Broadway Diner (I liked that there was off-street parking) and took a nice long walk on a promenade from the shopping center near the port along a golf course out to the river, where we saw the ship coming up the river. Pleasant ways to fill in a very long wait.

Baileymouse: thanks for posting. we're sailing June 5 on Summit, so we'll probably reach out to you around the 3rd to check on the Tpke exit construction. we'll be coming from Philly.

A few years ago, Summit was delayed by a storm and we had 6 hours to kill before we could board -- we enjoyed a great breakfast at the Broadway Diner (I liked that there was off-street parking) and took a nice long walk on a promenade from the shopping center near the port along a golf course out to the river, where we saw the ship coming up the river. Pleasant ways to fill in a very long wait.

Great, feel free to check in with me anytime. Broadway is good, Lighthouse is good, both have parking and good food. I'm partial to Cafe Talya for breakfast but it's tiny and it's only street parking, so it's not a good choice for people coming from out-of-town.

We love the promenade behind the golf course. We like to walk our dog back there when the weather is nice. For anyone who wants to bring wine on board and might have forgotten to pack it, that Wine Warehouse store in the shopping plaza has good prices and a decent selection.

Best breakfast in Bayonne IMHO is Little Food Café at 10th Street and Kennedy Blvd. As far as the construction at 14A is concerned, you will have no problem at all on a Sunday morning. It is only during the week that it is a major hassle.

We were hoping that by arriving 10:30 - 11:00 on a Thursday morning we might be missing morning rush hour. Do you think it will still be congested late morning?

What route are you coming in on from Pennsylvania?

What "congestion" are you asking about? NJ Turnpike? I78? I80? Exit 14A? Cape Liberty?

Best breakfast in Bayonne IMHO is Little Food Café at 10th Street and Kennedy Blvd. As far as the construction at 14A is concerned, you will have no problem at all on a Sunday morning. It is only during the week that it is a major hassle.

Thanks. We'll keep the restaurant suggestions in mind if we ever have a wait in Bayonne again.

We usually listen to a NJ talk radio station for traffic updates (101.5, I think) and keep an eye on the iPhone maps app. And we leave early enough to have time to detour if necessary.

Hello All, can you please share some of your local expert knowledge with me? My husband and I are flying from Scotland to EWR in Aug for cruise on Anthem. Super excited! We are planning a few days in NY after to do full tourist visit :) I am hoping for some advice re hotels and transfers....

We land in EWR the night before; was thinking staying in a hotel at airport with decent rates and food. Any suggestions?

Then best mode of transport to the port for 2?

After the cruise - was planning Hilton Homewood Suites, Times Square south, mid Manhatten...... So, is there an easy and not overly expensive mode of transport from the port to this hotel? And from this hotel back to EWR?

Are taxis all equally regulated? Any advice for public transport?

So many questions!! Even if I can get some opinions, that would be great.

Tank you. :)

Edited by DI941

What route are you coming in on from Pennsylvania?

What "congestion" are you asking about? NJ Turnpike? I78? I80? Exit 14A? Cape Liberty?

I-78 to exit 14A. Concerned about congestion in the 14A exit area on a Thursday morning about 10:30.

Edited by Wildcatfish

Hey everyone!

So grateful to have stumbled upon this thread. Seems like a great source of info!

I'll be driving from Toronto for a cruise on the Summit departing May 29th. Does anyone have any tips or words of wisdom to offer? It's my understanding that Cape Liberty has ample port parking available. Any other considerations? Thanks in advance!:)

Hey everyone!

So grateful to have stumbled upon this thread. Seems like a great source of info!

I'll be driving from Toronto for a cruise on the Summit departing May 29th. Does anyone have any tips or words of wisdom to offer? It's my understanding that Cape Liberty has ample port parking available. Any other considerations? Thanks in advance!:)

We are also on this sailing. Are you driving down the night before?

There is plenty of parking but to avoid big lines at check in I would get there before 11:00 AM or after 1:00 PM. Busy times are 11:30 AM - 1:00 PM.

See you on the ship.

Hello All, can you please share some of your local expert knowledge with me? My husband and I are flying from Scotland to EWR in Aug for cruise on Anthem. Super excited! We are planning a few days in NY after to do full tourist visit :) I am hoping for some advice re hotels and transfers....

We land in EWR the night before; was thinking staying in a hotel at airport with decent rates and food. Any suggestions?

Then best mode of transport to the port for 2?

After the cruise - was planning Hilton Homewood Suites, Times Square south, mid Manhatten...... So, is there an easy and not overly expensive mode of transport from the port to this hotel? And from this hotel back to EWR?

Are taxis all equally regulated? Any advice for public transport?

So many questions!! Even if I can get some opinions, that would be great.

Tank you. :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

What are the exact dates of your cruise? What is your hotel budget fir EWR? Is accessible public transit with luggage an option for you?

1). Homewood Suites is about 4-5 blocks from Port Authority Bus Terminal where you can get an express bus to EWR - http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.tickets.asp

2). Taxis are not equally regulated. Taxis within New York City are regulated. However, you do not want to take a cab between NY and NJ because this is an unregulated trip. For this kind of trip you want a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo where a flat fare will be quoted ahead of time. You need to quantify the base rate and the tolls and plan on a 18-20% tip.

3). The accessible public transit option to Manhattan involves taking a shuttle from the port to the Hudson-Bergen light rail ($10-12 for 2), light rail to Hoboken ($2.25/pp), and PATH to 33rd St ($2.75/pp). This leaves you at 33rd &6th Ave, which is 2 avenues and 5 blocks from your hotel - no more than a $10 cab ride. Car service transportation to Manhattan from the port will run $80-100.

Hey everyone!

Yep, Cape Liberty has a lot of parking and I've never seen it full. If you get in a little early you can visit the 9/11 memorial out at the cruise port. It's Memorial Day weekend and Sunday should be a slow day so you shouldn't hit any traffic coming in.

Enjoy!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

What are the exact dates of your cruise? What is your hotel budget fir EWR? Is accessible public transit with luggage an option for you?

1). Homewood Suites is about 4-5 blocks from Port Authority Bus Terminal where you can get an express bus to EWR - http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.tickets.asp

2). Taxis are not equally regulated. Taxis within New York City are regulated. However, you do not want to take a cab between NY and NJ because this is an unregulated trip. For this kind of trip you want a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo where a flat fare will be quoted ahead of time. You need to quantify the base rate and the tolls and plan on a 18-20% tip.

3). The accessible public transit option to Manhattan involves taking a shuttle from the port to the Hudson-Bergen light rail ($10-12 for 2), light rail to Hoboken ($2.25/pp), and PATH to 33rd St ($2.75/pp). This leaves you at 33rd &6th Ave, which is 2 avenues and 5 blocks from your hotel - no more than a $10 cab ride. Car service transportation to Manhattan from the port will run $80-100.

Thanks 138east for taking the time to reply so quickly!:) (Sorry, I'm not sure if I am replying the right way!)

1) I've been researching today and was thinking of walking from Homewood studios to penn station then taking train to Newark airport - do you think bus is easier option?

2) I was looking at country Inn suites NJ for the night we arrive as they seem to do shuttle transfers from airport and on cruise day to the port.

3) I had looked at dial 7 for a private transfer - $50 plus tip, tolls? Your option looks much less expensive but I'm not sure I could pull it off. The street descriptions look like a foreign language to me, lol - our streets are names so differently ;) so, questions re your advice -

~Shuttle from the port to the Hudson-Bergen light rail : is this easy to find at the port?

~light rail to Hoboken ($2.25/pp): looks simple enough

~PATH to 33rd St ($2.75/pp): this is a different train service I can get from Hoboken station?

~33rd &6th Ave, which is 2 avenues and 5 blocks from your hotel - no more than a $10 cab ride. - just stop one on the street?

sorry for asking for basic instructions, I feel like Sting "an Englishman in New York" apart from being neither English nor a man, lol!!

We cruise on 25th August 2016. Budget for EWR prob around $140 but flexible, we are both fit and happy to walk with our luggage

Edited by DI941

Yep, Cape Liberty has a lot of parking and I've never seen it full. If you get in a little early you can visit the 9/11 memorial out at the cruise port. It's Memorial Day weekend and Sunday should be a slow day so you shouldn't hit any traffic coming in.

Enjoy!

The Summit starts embarking early. If you get there by 11 am there's a good chance of sitting by the pool drink in hand by 11:30. Have a mudslide!

Thanks 138east for taking the time to reply so quickly!:) (Sorry, I'm not sure if I am replying the right way!)

1) I've been researching today and was thinking of walking from Homewood studios to penn station then taking train to Newark airport - do you think bus is easier option? Train is cheaper at $13.00/pp from New York Penn Station to Newark Airport Station. This involves taking the free Airtrain from the Airport station to your terminal and an elevator or escalator down to the departures level.

2) I was looking at country Inn suites NJ for the night we arrive as they seem to do shuttle transfers from airport and on cruise day to the port. I'm seeing various prices for Country Inns on Aug 24. If you contact them after you make a basic reservation, they will sell you a port transfer for $17.50/pp.

3) I had looked at dial 7 for a private transfer - $50 plus tip, tolls? Your option looks much less expensive but I'm not sure I could pull it off. Dial 7 from Cape Liberty to Manhattan will be more than $50. That sounds more like the rate to EWRThe street descriptions look like a foreign language to me, lol - our streets are names so differently ;) so, questions re your advice -

~Shuttle from the port to the Hudson-Bergen light rail : is this easy to find at the port? The taxi dispatcher at the port will put you in a shuttle to be dropped off at the light rail station, which is 2 miles away at the port entrance

~light rail to Hoboken ($2.25/pp): looks simple enough. Hoboken is the last stop - this is a surface tram

~PATH to 33rd St ($2.75/pp): this is a different train service I can get from Hoboken station?Yes - PATH is a subway and is underground accessible by elevator

~33rd &6th Ave, which is 2 avenues and 5 blocks from your hotel - no more than a $10 cab ride. - just stop one on the street? Yes. 6th Ave goes north and 37th is a westbound st, so it is a very direct ride

sorry for asking for basic instructions, I feel like Sting "an Englishman in New York" apart from being neither English nor a man, lol!!

We cruise on 25th August 2016. Budget for EWR prob around $140 but flexible, we are both fit and happy to walk with our luggage ��

Country Inns web site - prepay King - $126.65 + 25.97 = $153.62

Regular King - $149.00 + 30.55 = $179.55

Aa.com King/2 queens - $120.74 + 24.75 = $145.49

Last Minute Travel. King/2queens - $104.29 + 21.38 = $125.67

This is pay now, cancellable up to 3 days ahead

If I can make it through London on public transit with luggage (Liverpool Station, St Pancreas, & Heathrow), you can do it in New York!! Accessible options are much better in the US than the UK.

For the country inn note they also offer a transport back to hotel or back to airport. .that is $35pp.when you check in you pick the time of 10 or noon for the transport to pier and then tell them if you want r/t and where you want to end...hotel or airport. ..they said the transports start at 8 am and keep running until all prepaid passengers have been taken care of and there is a phone # on the tix they give you if you need to call them. We are doing this in august and will report back how it goes.