CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Sorry I'm all over the place on the map. Simply - I do not know the area.

Found a property near Donnelly Memorial Park and Liberty Skyline. How's that area? I do not get the exact address until I make the booking.

My mother-in-law used to live in that area. It's the town of West New York. Spectacular views of NYC from the high rise apartments facing the river, but chances are you are not looking at that kind of property. And it is accessible only by bus ($3.50). I hated making that trip from her apartment into the city or vice versa. Usually took a half hour and frequently there were no seats. Very urban residential - shopping used to be over on Bergenline Ave and probably still is.

Remember - December can be really cold. IMO you don't want to be standing on a street corner on top of the Palisades by the Hudson River waiting for a bus.

Send me the listing - cc138east at gmail.

Edited by 138east

My mother-in-law used to live in that area. It's the town of West New York. Spectacular views of NYC from the high rise apartments facing the river, but chances are you are not looking at that kind of property. And it is accessible only by bus ($3.50). I hated making that trip from her apartment into the city or vice versa. Usually took a half hour and frequently there were no seats. Very urban residential - shopping used to be over on Bergenline Ave and probably still is.

Remember - December can be really cold. IMO you don't want to be standing on a street corner on top of the Palisades by the Hudson River waiting for a bus.

Send me the listing - cc138east at gmail.

Sent you an email last night. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I apologize, because I am sure my answer is listed somewhere in this thread, but I cannot search.

What are the reigning opinions on alternative Port parking? Parkway parking seems pretty reasonable... Any good or bad reviews?

Thanks!

Hello! I apologize, because I am sure my answer is listed somewhere in this thread, but I cannot search.

What are the reigning opinions on alternative Port parking? Parkway parking seems pretty reasonable... Any good or bad reviews?

Thanks!

No feedback yet on this forum about Parkway Parking. Premier Parking declared bankruptcy and now Parkway Parking has popped up in the same location. Hmmmm - interesting coincidence. I did find this thread on the main RCL board - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2353174

The previous parking operation in that location was never recommended - there were serious concerns about insurance liability for their shuttle operation which appeared to be rental or personal cars rather than licensed livery cars. If all went well, folks were happy, but when things went bad (i.e. No shuttle pickups on disembarkation), folks were irate. The best I can say to you is caveat emptor.

Park at Cape Liberty. It's worth it. The garage is new, the lot is secure, and you'll have peace of mind as well as immediate access to your vehicle once you disembark.

Baileymouse - you live in Bayonne. Have you seen this parking on Hook Road? If so, could you describe it?

My recollection of others' descriptions of it is that it is outside parking at some sort of storage unit facility that is open to the random public during the day and may or may not be well secured at night. The parking is attended only when RCL or Celebrity ships have a turnaround day at Cape Liberty.

Personally I would never ditch my car at such a location in Bayonne and "hitch" a ride with a stranger in an unlicensed livery vehicle to Cape Liberty, but I know from the previous threads about Premier Parking, there are folks out there who have no problem doing this.

Baileymouse - you live in Bayonne. Have you seen this parking on Hook Road? If so, could you describe it?

My recollection of others' descriptions of it is that it is outside parking at some sort of storage unit facility that is open to the random public during the day and may or may not be well secured at night. The parking is attended only when RCL or Celebrity ships have a turnaround day at Cape Liberty.

Personally I would never ditch my car at such a location in Bayonne and "hitch" a ride with a stranger in an unlicensed livery vehicle to Cape Liberty, but I know from the previous threads about Premier Parking, there are folks out there who have no problem doing this.

It's an outside parking facility in an old warehouse district. I live here & I wouldn't park there. It's outside parking at a defunct warehouse near the big shopping district on Route 440. It is accessible all day because there's a storage facility and there's lots of truck traffic going in & out.

Which is closer to Cape Liberty...Jersey City or Elizabeth?

Thanks

If you're talking about the distance from the hotels in downtown JC to the cruise port vs the Elizabeth hotels to the cruise port, JC is a little closer, but travel time is very similar. Go with wherever you get the best deal. If you're planning on a couple of nights in order to see NYC, stay in downtown JC and take PATH over to NYC. Without traffic I can get from Bayonne to downtown JC via the turnpike in 12-15 minutes, same to 13A Elizabeth Seaport/Ikea/the hotels near the Jersey Gardens mall.

Which is closer to Cape Liberty...Jersey City or Elizabeth?

Thanks

If you're talking about the distance from the hotels in downtown JC to the cruise port vs the Elizabeth hotels to the cruise port, JC is a little closer, but travel time is very similar. Go with wherever you get the best deal. If you're planning on a couple of nights in order to see NYC, stay in downtown JC and take PATH over to NYC. Without traffic I can get from Bayonne to downtown JC via the turnpike in 12-15 minutes, same to 13A Elizabeth Seaport/Ikea/the hotels near the Jersey Gardens mall.

Please provide more details as to why you're asking this question. Exact dates, number of people, hotel, transportation, parking, sightseeing????

No feedback yet on this forum about Parkway Parking. Premier Parking declared bankruptcy and now Parkway Parking has popped up in the same location. Hmmmm - interesting coincidence. I did find this thread on the main RCL board - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2353174

The previous parking operation in that location was never recommended - there were serious concerns about insurance liability for their shuttle operation which appeared to be rental or personal cars rather than licensed livery cars. If all went well, folks were happy, but when things went bad (i.e. No shuttle pickups on disembarkation), folks were irate. The best I can say to you is caveat emptor.

THANK YOU! I appreciate the advice!

Thanks!

I was one of those who used Premier Parking. I would never recommend them or the parking lot used by them or whatever business name is now being used. I wrote about my experience with Premier, perhaps you can find it. In essence, they were deceitful. If they had simply stated that vans on disembarktion day would not be available until a certain time, I would have accepted that. Instead, they kept promising vans were coming and eventually they ceased answering the calls when 45 minutes later and maybe longer, about 50-70 of us were still waiting.:mad:

Hey all,

Here we go again!!

Since the previous thread was soooo long, I am starting anew!

Feel free to ask your Cape Liberty and even NYC questions here!

Now that we have Quantum, and soon Liberty and then Anthem, not to mention Summit for a while, and a couple stops by Serenade, things should remain busy!!

Hello - I'm hoping you can help us out. We are flying into LaGuardia on August 6th, sailing out of Cape Liberty August 7th on the Summit. We had free airfare to LaGuardia only. We have a hotel booked by the Newark airport because it's a shorter transfer from there to the cruise port. We just to have to get to Newark airport from LaGuardia on August 6, then get from Newark Airport to Cape Liberty cruise port, and then on August 14, get from Cape Liberty to LaGuardia.

The other alternative is to stay at a LaGuardia airport hotel and take a return shuttle to the cruise port but so far that is looking like over $300 USD!

Let me know if you have any other suggestions. Would really appreciate it. Thanks so much!

Sylvia

Hello - I'm hoping you can help us out. We are flying into LaGuardia on August 6th, sailing out of Cape Liberty August 7th on the Summit. We had free airfare to LaGuardia only. We have a hotel booked by the Newark airport because it's a shorter transfer from there to the cruise port. We just to have to get to Newark airport from LaGuardia on August 6, then get from Newark Airport to Cape Liberty cruise port, and then on August 14, get from Cape Liberty to LaGuardia.

The other alternative is to stay at a LaGuardia airport hotel and take a return shuttle to the cruise port but so far that is looking like over $300 USD!

Let me know if you have any other suggestions. Would really appreciate it. Thanks so much!

Sylvia

I answered some of your questions on your other thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2379412 - and asked you some questions as well.

Bottom line - it is expensive. How tight of a budget are you on? Did you consider and airport bus from LGA to Manhattan and then an airport bus to EWR?

Is accessible public transit an option with your luggage?

Sylvia

Try to use public transit if you can, if you don't have a lot of luggage. It's about a two hour trip because of connections but it works. You get the Q48 bus to the subway, take the 7 train from Mets-Willetts Point to Times Square. Walk to the Port Authority Bus Terminal, catch the airport express bus to EWR.

The PANYNJ gives this link for shuttle service: http://laguardiaairport.com/getting-to-from/traveling-between-jfk-newark-airports/ - you can shuttle from LGA to EWR, then get a hotel shuttle to your hotel. Will be more.

I know this has been covered before and Carol (138east) has given an explanation of using public transportation from Newark Penn Station to Cape Liberty but I am looking for some additional clarification. After taking the PATH to Exchange Place which rail line to do take next and where do you get off. The explanation I found said to get off at Bayonne but is there only one stop? Is it the end of the line?

My apologies if this has been covered in detail before but I have scanned over many pages and haven't seen it.

Second question - What is the current cost of the shared shuttle from the port back to Newark airport?

Thanks

I know this has been covered before and Carol (138east) has given an explanation of using public transportation from Newark Penn Station to Cape Liberty but I am looking for some additional clarification. After taking the PATH to Exchange Place which rail line to do take next and where do you get off. The explanation I found said to get off at Bayonne but is there only one stop? Is it the end of the line?

My apologies if this has been covered in detail before but I have scanned over many pages and haven't seen it.

Second question - What is the current cost of the shared shuttle from the port back to Newark airport?

Thanks

The shuttle to the airport is about $27 a person. As far as public transportation, after you get off the PATH at Exchange Place, you take the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail to 34th Street in Bayonne. You would then have to get a cab from the Light Rail station into the port. I believe it is $9 now. For all the hassle and time spent, I have always told people just get a cab from Newark Penn. The cost is about $55 and takes about 20 minutes as opposed to somewhere around 2 hours travel time.

Thanks

PATH at exchange Place is deep underground and you take a series of two elevators to get to the street level. There are also escalators. You will come out on the street level on a plaza. If you face away from the water you should be looking straight ahead at the intersection of Montgomery and Hudson. The light rail runs on Hudson and the street level light rail station will be on your left. There is ramp access to the station platform which is about 18" above street level. You buy a ticket from the ticket machine and validate it.

Take the train to Bayonne 34th Street station. Call one of the cabs listed below or try Uber. Next time I do this I think I'm going to try Uber, which was recommended by another cruiser.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Light rail -

Light rail map - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

How to buy a ticket -

Shared shuttle back to EWR is supposed to be $28.50 pp, but some folks have mentioned paying $20. I just don't know for sure.

Edited by 138east

The shuttle to the airport is about $27 a person. As far as public transportation, after you get off the PATH at Exchange Place, you take the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail to 34th Street in Bayonne. You would then have to get a cab from the Light Rail station into the port. I believe it is $9 now. For all the hassle and time spent, I have always told people just get a cab from Newark Penn. The cost is about $55 and takes about 20 minutes as opposed to somewhere around 2 hours travel time.

The day I did this, I left the hotel at 9 am on the shuttle to Penn station, took Path to Exchange Place and the light rail to Bayonne arriving about 10 am. I was lucky enough to get picked up by a friend, so I was at the port very quickly. The trains were empty on a weekday morning and I had a seat on both legs of the trip.

Thanks

Everyone who has answered has been right, but the train you want will say 8th St on it. It will stop at 34th in Bayonne. Don't take the one that says West Side Ave. The trains are named by their final stops. Hee's two different maps showing the light rail stops:

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

http://mapsof.net/new-jersey/hudson-bergen-light-rail-map

Hi Everyone,

This board was recommended by another CC member on our upcoming Canada/New England cruise but it's not until September 2017. We will be flying in 1 day prior and staying at a hotel close to the port (let me know what you recommend that's not too expensive - we'd like to stay under $150/night if at all possible). The next day, we'd like recommendations on a day trip to NYC to see the usual sites such as Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Madison Square Garden and any other things of interest. First time for DH in the big city - for me, it's been over 30 years! Let me know if you think maybe the hotel would have an all-day tour or would you recommend taking the train and if so, where would we catch it? Thanks all! Your info will be much appreciated! You can also send me an E-mail at cruiselover57@yahoo.com if that is more convenient.

Thanks! Laurie

Hi Everyone,

This board was recommended by another CC member on our upcoming Canada/New England cruise but it's not until September 2017. We will be flying in 1 day prior and staying at a hotel close to the port (let me know what you recommend that's not too expensive - we'd like to stay under $150/night if at all possible). The next day, we'd like recommendations on a day trip to NYC to see the usual sites such as Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Madison Square Garden and any other things of interest. First time for DH in the big city - for me, it's been over 30 years! Let me know if you think maybe the hotel would have an all-day tour or would you recommend taking the train and if so, where would we catch it? Thanks all! Your info will be much appreciated! You can also send me an E-mail at cruiselover57@yahoo.com if that is more convenient.

Thanks! Laurie

Please post your exact dates.

There are no hotels closer than 7-8 miles from Cape Liberty. You can expect to pay $55-65 for a taxi or car service from wherever you stay in the Newark/Jersey City area.

Be sure to book a flight to Newark.

Hotels don't offer tours. This company picks up at Newark Airport - http://www.newyorktoursnyc.com

Train/PATH is definitely an option. What exact date would you need a hotel? I don't understand your timeline. If you fly in one day prior to the cruise and sail the next day, you don't have a full day to sightsee.

The first thing you need to do is decide what you want to do for sightseeing. That will determine where you should look for a hotel. $150 could be a tight budget.