CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

I will look that up, thank you! Your information is very much appreciated!

$120 is a very tight base budget for this area. You have to be selective about where you stay. The airport hotels are out of the running for you. It will cost you about $45 round trip and an hour+ each way for two people to take the train and PATH into NY from the airport. It will cost you only $11 round trip and 35 minutes each way for 2 people from downtown Newark.

Any thoughts or experiences on the New York Pass or New York City Pass? Worth it for 1 of my 2 day trips in NYC or both.

We will arrive in NYC at the Port Authority bus terminal and plan to do midtown one day and downtown/ east side another day unless anyone can suggest a better plan?

What about the Courtyard by Marriott, New Jersey Newport? It's right next to the Newport PATH station (all journeys are $2.75) and across from the Newport shopping mall. The views across to Manhattan from this area, along the waterfront, are stunning.

We stayed in the Hyatt Regency Jersey City, which is next to the Exchange Place PATH station. We loved it.

Do a search for the PATH station map and then look for hotels near to the stations. As mentioned previously, fly into Newark.

Do either of these properties have park and cruise available?

Park at Cape Liberty. It's worth it. The garage is new, the lot is secure, and you'll have peace of mind as well as immediate access to your vehicle once you disembark.

The last time we sailed from Cape Liberty there was a rather run down parking lot. Has this been replaced by a garage? Where can I find the daily parking rate or the total for a 9 night sailing?

The last time we sailed from Cape Liberty there was a rather run down parking lot. Has this been replaced by a garage? Where can I find the daily parking rate or the total for a 9 night sailing?

There's a brand new parking garage which opened as of October 22, 2015. The rate is $20 per day. So 9 x 20 = $180 paid by cash or credit card upon entering the garage.

Do either of these properties have park and cruise available?

Unfortunately no park and cruise in Jersey City. Real estate is way too valuable.

There are no hotels which offer park and cruise as well as easy inexpensive transportation via train/Path into NYC. You have to pick one or the other or split your stay between two properties. Train/PATH costs $22.50-26/ pp round trip to NYC from Newark Airport. From Jersey City PATH costs $5.50/pp round trip to NYC.

Please ask detailed questions about whatever you decide to do. For example, starting in August there will be no weekend PATH service from Hoboken to Midtown Manhattan due to track work. This will affect anyone staying in Jersey City.

I am thinking I maybe laughed at by this question! but here goes.... How necessary is it to not look like a tourist in NYC? I am someone who has travelled extensively and know how people dress in the Cities of London, Paris and Rome. If you are waiting in line at the touristy places and hopping on and off tour busses, you are obviously a tourist!!!

I am coming from Canada where everyone dressesG casually most of the time. I will be visiting NYC for the first time and have 2 full days. I do not hope to do everything and I know it will be steamingly hot. My feet only like comfy well worn in shoes at the best of times. Are shorts and runners a no no? For men? For women? We are not likely to be eating anywhere that would have a dress code. We will leave that for the ship!

Any thoughts?

One more question ( I'm full of them today, I guess I just realised I have a lot of prep to do. 1 week before we leave!)

We will be taking the NY express bus from Rutherford Ave @ Polito to Port authority bus terminal. How safe is this route? Daytime? Evening? After dark? We will be using it Fri and Sat. Any suggested best time to travel?

Any thoughts?

Re the tourist thing. Don't worry about looking like a tourist. I would just make sure my valuables are secured from pick pockets. New York is packed with tourists.

The Port Authority Bus Terminal is safe even after dark. On the weekends people come into the city to see Broadway shows. Of course there might be panhandlers or homeless just don't engage with them. There is a Port Authority police facility located in the terminal so there is a police presence.

Re the tourist thing. Don't worry about looking like a tourist. I would just make sure my valuables are secured from pick pockets. New York is packed with tourists.

The Port Authority Bus Terminal is safe even after dark. On the weekends people come into the city to see Broadway shows. Of course there might be panhandlers or homeless just don't engage with them. There is a Port Authority police facility located in the terminal so there is a police presence.

Thx for your help. I see you say planning the cruise is part of the fun. It's more stress for me! The last 2 cruises we have gone all- included direct from my local small airport. Much simpler!

It's not Avenue East, it's Avenue E. Bayonne has Avenues A, B, C, E & F (no D). You get off the Turnpike and go straight onto Avenue E. Your GPS will probably take you that way. Once you're near the port there are signs.

From Lyndhurst - Take Route 3 East to the NJ TPK, get on the Turnpike and take the Turnpike south to 14A.

Ok. I looked at google map and there seems to be a bit missing the NJTP comes south! but then I need to turn onto the 14 to get to 14A and Ave E. How would thus be signposted?

Ok. I looked at google map and there seems to be a bit missing the NJTP comes south! but then I need to turn onto the 14 to get to 14A and Ave E. How would thus be signposted?

Watch this video starting at minute 9:30, which is where you would get on the western spur of the Turnpike. At 15:30 you will go under the Pulaski Skyway. This is your signal to get to the right. The actual exit is at minute 16:30. If in doubt, follow the Holland Tunnel signs to get yourself onto the turnpike Extension. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k3xglyZ0JLE

Watch this video starting at minute 9:30, which is where you would get on the wester

n spur of the Turnpike. At 15:30 you will go under the Pulaski Skyway. This is your signal to get to the right. The actual exit is at minute 16:30. If in doubt, follow the Holland Tunnel signs to get yourself onto the turnpike Extension. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k3xglyZ0JLE

Wow! Thx

It's always busy, you'll be fine. I'm guessing you're not talking after midnight, right? I've taken buses from Port Authority back to the West New York,NJ area at 1AM and I've been fine.

No, not even sure if it will be after dark, just trying to get an idea of what NOT to do!

Is it worth trying to avoid "rush hour" on Friday or is it just as bad at any time?

No, not even sure if it will be after dark, just trying to get an idea of what NOT to do!

Is it worth trying to avoid "rush hour" on Friday or is it just as bad at any time?

It all depends and you really can't foresee what might happens. The buses from Port Authority bus terminal have better ramp access to the Lincoln Tunnel entrances, but that might not mean much if the tunnel is gridlocked.

Fridays are a misery in the summer and in September if the weather is still nice. Everyone wants to head "down the shore." - that Jersey phrase always cracks me up. Last week it took a friend 4 hours to make it from the USTA back to Bayonne and he left the USTA at 3:30.

The last time we sailed out of Cape Liberty we parked at EWR and took the Newark Airport Express to / from Midtown. We got into the city in the early afternoon so rush hour had not yet peaked. How does this option compare to the train? We would want to take the train to Penn Station. Which train to that?

Additionally, this time we are looking to stay near EWR rather than in Manhattan as we have only one night pre-cruise to stay. How safe is the Newark area near the airport, particularly Frontage Road where many of the hotels seem to be located?

How long will it likely take to drive from Frontage Road to Liberty Cruise Port on a Thursday morning?

The last time we sailed out of Cape Liberty we parked at EWR and took the Newark Airport Express to / from Midtown. We got into the city in the early afternoon so rush hour had not yet peaked. How does this option compare to the train? We would want to take the train to Penn Station. Which train to that?

Additionally, this time we are looking to stay near EWR rather than in Manhattan as we have only one night pre-cruise to stay. How safe is the Newark area near the airport, particularly Frontage Road where many of the hotels seem to be located?

How long will it likely take to drive from Frontage Road to Liberty Cruise Port on a Thursday morning?

What is your hotel budget? What is your exact date? Where are you going in NYC? Your choices are Newark Airport, downtown Newark, and Jersey City.

What is the best way to get from LaGuardia Airport to 125 West 26th Street in Manhattan (Holiday Inn on 6th Avenue) We are okay with taking transit (but we will have luggage) but this will be in January so we can't really walk too far depending on weather.

Thanks!

What is the best way to get from LaGuardia Airport to 125 West 26th Street in Manhattan (Holiday Inn on 6th Avenue) We are okay with taking transit (but we will have luggage) but this will be in January so we can't really walk too far depending on weather.

Thanks!

Shuttle!

http://www.nycairporter.com/OurServices/LaGuardiaAirportShuttle.aspx

It's not expensive and it'll save time. Otherwise you have to take the bus to the subway and transfer in the subway to get to the 23d St. station, and then schlep with your bags to 26th. You're staying in a great location, right near the Flatiron, Madison Square Park, Eataly, etc. Fun!

Thanks for your quick reply! So does this just take us to Penn Station and we walk from there? Or does it take us directly to our hotel. (I can't tell on the website)

Shuttle!

http://www.nycairporter.com/OurServices/LaGuardiaAirportShuttle.aspx

It's not expensive and it'll save time. Otherwise you have to take the bus to the subway and transfer in the subway to get to the 23d St. station, and then schlep with your bags to 26th. You're staying in a great location, right near the Flatiron, Madison Square Park, Eataly, etc. Fun!

If you get off at Bryant park, they have a transfer to your hotel - they go to hotels between 23rd & 63rd. From their website:

NYC Airporter offers passengers staying at a hotel between 23rd & 63rd streets, a free transfer to your hotel. Just get off at our Bryant Park stop and transfer to our complimentary hotel vans that will take you to all Times Square and Midtown Manhattan Hotels. For your return trip back to the airport, you MUST go to one of our bus stops: Penn Station, Port Authority or Grand Central. We DO NOT pick up from hotels or from Bryant Park. PLEASE read for more information."

ONE WAY CUSTOMERS- Free drop off by complimentary shuttle to your hotel - Choose Bryant Park as your drop off.

ROUND TRIP CUSTOMERS - Please choose Grand Central as your drop off and get off at the following stop (Bryant Park). We do not pick up from Bryant Park, you will have to go back to Grand Central or one of our other bus stops to go back to the airport.

HOTEL SHUTTLE DEPARTURE:

Our hotel shuttles depart from 42nd st between 5th & 6th ave, across the street from the park, closer to 5th Ave. In front of the Chipotle store.

After being dropped off at our Bryant Park stop by our larger buses, you will transfer to our smaller vans which will take you to your hotel (we'll have an NYC Airporter agent standing by). This applies only to hotels located between 23rd and 63rd Streets in the Midtown, Times Square area of NYC.

I used the shuttle once after missing a flight to Newark since I was rerouted to LGA. It was pretty convenient and I was able to take the train back to Jersey. Haven't used the hotel drop off but it sounds like your hotel is in their range.

What is your hotel budget? What is your exact date? Where are you going in NYC? Your choices are Newark Airport, downtown Newark, and Jersey City.

We prefer to stay in the $250 - 300 range, which is why we are thinking it is best to stay in NJ. Additionally, we are concerned about the length of time that travel from Manhattan to NJ will take on a Thursday morning. The last time we sailed on Saturday.

Are the properties on Frontage Road considered Newark Airport or downtown Newark? Safety and parking are critical factors, and we prefer self-parking. We are travelling in October.

To summarize, we will drive to NJ and either park at the airport and take airport transit to midtown and stay in Manhattan, travelling back to NJ on the morning we sail. OR we will drive to NJ, park at a NJ hotel, take transit into Manhattan for the day and then travel back to the NJ hotel. We want to be in midtown and prefer not taking the subway in Manhattan. A train to lower Manhattan is not a good choice for us. We are willing to walk from Penn Station or Grand Central.

What would you recommend as the best options?