CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

My time is now near....31st.

I wrote down the directions from Carol before to take Ave East not follow the GPS! However, I don't see this on the map. I assume the directions are from Highway 169?

Is it clearly signposted? Where exactly am I taking my luggage! just dropping it with porters? Do I reclaim it somewhere? Is it safer just to roll it ourselves from the car?

Also, which is the best route to drive from Lyndhurst?

I am thinking I maybe laughed at by this question! but here goes.... How necessary is it to not look like a tourist in NYC? I am someone who has travelled extensively and know how people dress in the Cities of London, Paris and Rome. If you are waiting in line at the touristy places and hopping on and off tour busses, you are obviously a tourist!!!

I am coming from Canada where everyone dresses casually most of the time. I will be visiting NYC for the first time and have 2 full days. I do not hope to do everything and I know it will be steamingly hot. My feet only like comfy well worn in shoes at the best of times. Are shorts and runners a no no? For men? For women? We are not likely to be eating anywhere that would have a dress code. We will leave that for the ship!

Edited by Buckcruise

I wrote down the directions from Carol before to take Ave East not follow the GPS! However, I don't see this on the map. I assume the directions are from Highway 169?

Is it clearly signposted? Where exactly am I taking my luggage! just dropping it with porters? Do I reclaim it somewhere? Is it safer just to roll it ourselves from the car?

We drove down from Maine and the GPS took us right to the terminal, even with the construction. There were blue signs with a ship and arrow pointing the way once we were off the highway. You give your checked luggage with the Porter and then go park. You luggage will show up at your room at some point before 8pm. KEEP YOUR DAY BAG (WITH IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS, SWIMSUIT and DINNER CLOTHES) WITH YOU AND hand carry that bag into the ship.

I can't tell from your post what directions I might have given you. Could you provide more details about what you need?

Ave East could be Blvd East (otherwise known as JFK Blvd East), but that's not a normal route associated with Lyndhurst.

I can't tell from your post what directions I might have given you. Could you provide more details about what you need?

Ave East could be Blvd East (otherwise known as JFK Blvd East), but that's not a normal route associated with Lyndhurst.

I wrote down" take Ave E when driving in , not ramp to left" I thought it meant driving into the port.

We will be driving from the Courtyard Meadowlands on Polito Ave.

I just found Avenue E, it runs parallel to the 169. They both come from the 440 and 78. It looks like a very messy interchange????

Edited by Buckcruise

I wrote down" take Ave E when driving in , not ramp to left" I thought it meant driving into the port.

We will be driving from the Courtyard Meadowlands on Polito Ave.

I just found Avenue E, it runs parallel to the 169. They both come from the 440 and 78. It looks like a very messy interchange????

Ok - that is actually Avenue E not Avenue East. Are you looking at an old map? Apparently route 169 is no more -

http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/nj/nj_169/

You need to read this thread about the Exit 14A interchange. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2375544

From Lyndhurst you want to get on the turnpike south and follow the signs to exit 14A.

I am looking for some input. We are sailing mid-Sept out of Cape Liberty on RCCL Anthem. Ship leaves Saturday. We would definitely come in on Friday and need a hotel. We will be driving from Western NY so we will have our car, but do not want to drive into NYC if possible. Ideally, we could get a hotel a little bit further from the pier to save $ and drive to the pier and park for the duration of the cruise. We would also like to visit the 9-11 Memorial on Friday. So how is the best way to go about this? Should we just find a hotel that includes cruise parking? Should we find somewhere else further away and park at the pier? If we do that, what is the best method of transportation into the city to see the memorial? How far is the pier from the NYC area? Sorry for all the questions. Whenever you say you are from "anywhere" NY, everyone automatically assumes NYC, even though I have only been there twice in my lifetime!

Ok - that is actually Avenue E not Avenue East. Are you looking at an old map? Apparently route 169 is no more -

http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/nj/nj_169/

You need to read this thread about the Exit 14A interchange. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2375544

From Lyndhurst you want to get on the turnpike south and follow the signs to exit 14A.

Thx. I had forgotten this was a thread not a forum!

One more question ( I'm full of them today, I guess I just realised I have a lot of prep to do. 1 week before we leave!)

We will be taking the NY express bus from Rutherford Ave @ Polito to Port authority bus terminal. How safe is this route? Daytime? Evening? After dark? We will be using it Fri and Sat. Any suggested best time to travel?

My wife and I are heading down to the Cape Liberty cruise port on Saturday (23rd). We will be parking at the garage at the port. What is the order for how that is done? Do I drop my wife and luggage off at the drop-off point, park the car, and then come back and meet her before we go in?

Or should both of us go straight to the garage and bring our luggage from the garage?

Thanks for any info.

My wife and I are heading down to the Cape Liberty cruise port on Saturday (23rd). We will be parking at the garage at the port. What is the order for how that is done? Do I drop my wife and luggage off at the drop-off point, park the car, and then come back and meet her before we go in?

Or should both of us go straight to the garage and bring our luggage from the garage?

Thanks for any info.

Personal choice.

It's not Avenue East, it's Avenue E. Bayonne has Avenues A, B, C, E & F (no D). You get off the Turnpike and go straight onto Avenue E. Your GPS will probably take you that way. Once you're near the port there are signs.

From Lyndhurst - Take Route 3 East to the NJ TPK, get on the Turnpike and take the Turnpike south to 14A.

Hi Everyone,

This board was recommended by another CC member on our upcoming Canada/New England cruise but it's not until September 2017. We will be flying in 1 day prior and staying at a hotel close to the port (let me know what you recommend that's not too expensive - we'd like to stay under $150/night if at all possible). The next day, we'd like recommendations on a day trip to NYC to see the usual sites such as Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Madison Square Garden and any other things of interest. First time for DH in the big city - for me, it's been over 30 years! Let me know if you think maybe the hotel would have an all-day tour or would you recommend taking the train and if so, where would we catch it? Thanks all! Your info will be much appreciated! You can also send me an E-mail at cruiselover57@yahoo.com if that is more convenient.

Thanks! Laurie

What about the Courtyard by Marriott, New Jersey Newport? It's right next to the Newport PATH station (all journeys are $2.75) and across from the Newport shopping mall. The views across to Manhattan from this area, along the waterfront, are stunning.

We stayed in the Hyatt Regency Jersey City, which is next to the Exchange Place PATH station. We loved it.

Do a search for the PATH station map and then look for hotels near to the stations. As mentioned previously, fly into Newark.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by vondofife

I am looking for some input. We are sailing mid-Sept out of Cape Liberty on RCCL Anthem. Ship leaves Saturday. We would definitely come in on Friday and need a hotel. We will be driving from Western NY so we will have our car, but do not want to drive into NYC if possible. Ideally, we could get a hotel a little bit further from the pier to save $ and drive to the pier and park for the duration of the cruise. We would also like to visit the 9-11 Memorial on Friday. So how is the best way to go about this? Should we just find a hotel that includes cruise parking? Should we find somewhere else further away and park at the pier? If we do that, what is the best method of transportation into the city to see the memorial? How far is the pier from the NYC area? Sorry for all the questions. Whenever you say you are from "anywhere" NY, everyone automatically assumes NYC, even though I have only been there twice in my lifetime!

NY is one very large and varied state! I drive my daughter to camp up in Lowville and it's 5.5 hours from NYC.

Jersey hotels are going to be expensive, too, but not as bad as NYC. You can try for Secaucus/Lyndhurst, Jersey City, or Newark. If you stay at an airport hotel or a JC hotel you can take PATH into Manhattan to see the 9/11 Memorial. Most of the Newark hotels will have a shuttle to public transportation or back to the airport where you can catch the train over to Newark Penn to get the shuttle.

In downtown Newark there's the Hilton Newark Penn Station, the Best Western Robert Treat, and the Hotel Indigo. It's a very urban area so if you don't like urban driving, skip it, but the hotel prices aren't bad comparatively and the Indigo is very unique. They built in in an old turn-of-the-century bank. My friend stayed there and was wowed.No shuttle, though. The Robert Treat has free parking and a free shuttle to Penn Station.

There's a Hampton Inn & Suites Harrison - Newark that is in Harrison right across the river from Newark. Free parking, free area shuttle. Clean hotel. I pass it when 280 is backed up and I take Passaic Ave to get to work.

One caveat about the Newark hotels - if there's a game or a concert that night, prices will skyrocket.

Since you want to go to World Trade to see the 9/11 Memorial, being on the Newark-WTC PATH line would work.

It would be less than a half hour to Bayonne on Saturday morning.

Guest maddycat

Thanks for any info.

We always drop off our luggage with the porters at the terminal. We then park the car and walk back with our carry on bags.

Baileymouse has given you good suggestions.

My question is what time would you realistically expect to arrive in the New York area from western New York? The 911 Memorial is open late, but it does take time to get there from NJ, so you have to arrive early enough to have time to do that.

Your first decision is whether you feel comfortable staying in one of the more urban hotels close to a Path Station. If you don't want to do that, we can look at other options.

What is your realistic hotel budget?

I think you should park at the pier. It's $100 for a 5 day cruise.

Baileymouse has given you good suggestions.

My question is what time would you realistically expect to arrive in the New York area from western New York? The 911 Memorial is open late, but it does take time to get there from NJ, so you have to arrive early enough to have time to do that.

Your first decision is whether you feel comfortable staying in one of the more urban hotels close to a Path Station. If you don't want to do that, we can look at other options.

What is your realistic hotel budget?

I think you should park at the pier. It's $100 for a 5 day cruise.

Our plan is to leave fairly early Friday and the drive is about six hours. In a perfect world we could arrive between noon-1.

A friend of mine said avoid Newark area. He didn't say why! He suggested Hoboken. I found one that looks decent.

We are from Buffalo area too!
we are actually from Canada but will be returning via Buffalo. I was just looking for somewhere to extend our trip. Maybe get a bed and breakfast in a nice small town or somewhere scenic, not an outlet mall!!

Our plan is to leave fairly early Friday and the drive is about six hours. In a perfect world we could arrive between noon-1.

A friend of mine said avoid Newark area. He didn't say why! He suggested Hoboken. I found one that looks decent.

There isn't much in Hoboken except the W. What are you looking at exactly?

I found a Comfort Suites in 'North Bergen' that is only like $120 and looks decent.

No. It's on the route 1&9 truck route and not convenient at all for the 911 museum.

If Your price range is $120 book the Robert Treat in downtown Newark for $133 tax included on LastMinuteTravel. It's an elegant older refurbished hotel from a bygone era.

I've personally stayed at the Robert Treat and will stay there again next Feb when I cruise from Cape Liberty. Yes it's in downtown Newark, but it is on a less traveled side street and faces a nice park. The neighboring buildings are occupied by Rutgers and offices. No residents and no commercial property with public businesses, so no people hanging out. They offer free parking and a free shuttle to Newark Penn Station as well as a free breakfast and free wifi. My only caution would be to take the shuttle or a cab between the hotel and Penn Station. Their parking is tight, so call the hotel to get specific directions to find it. It is not public parking.

No. It's on the route 1&9 truck route and not convenient at all for the 911 museum.

If Your price range is $120 book the Robert Treat in downtown Newark for $133 tax included on LastMinuteTravel. It's an elegant older refurbished hotel from a bygone era.

I've personally stayed at the Robert Treat and will stay there again next Feb when I cruise from Cape Liberty. Yes it's in downtown Newark, but it is on a less traveled side street and faces a nice park. The neighboring buildings are occupied by Rutgers and offices. No residents and no commercial property with public businesses, so no people hanging out. They offer free parking and a free shuttle to Newark Penn Station as well as a free breakfast and free wifi. My only caution would be to take the shuttle or a cab between the hotel and Penn Station. Their parking is tight, so call the hotel to get specific directions to find it. It is not public parking.

I will look that up, thank you! Your information is very much appreciated!