Harvest Caye

skyfire53

You don't have to pay for chairs. There are plenty of them. You have to pay for food unless you go back to the ship to eat and then go back. You can easily go back and forth by walking or taking a free shuttle as the walk is about a 1/4 mile same as the other ports. I ate in the ship and went back. Pool was very nice. You can rent cabanas as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have only been to Disney's island and Royal Caribbean's. I think NCL needs to rethink the food thing. I don't mind paying for drinks but food and water should be provided. I am weary of eating off the ship in a small local restaurant. I have a very picky stomach.

I was looking forward to a snorkel excursion, Belize has a beautiful reef. So we will have to make the best of a beach day.

I thought the island was beautifully landscaped and I liked it. But they can't expect people to be there in the heat (and it was extremely hot and humid) with no water except to buy it at the bar. That is unacceptable. Most people went back on the boat to eat as I did, but it is a 20 minute or longer walk to the boat in the heat

I think they have addressed the water issue when we were there the week after Thanksgiving. I saw several carts with water coolers on them and had several staff offer us water by the cup. I still hope they rethink the only option of paid food. We were only there for a few hours so we didn't have time to eat, but I'm looking at future itineraries where we should be there all day. I will DEFINITELY be voting with my feet and returning to the ship for lunch if we go again. There is something to be said for hostage hospitality and so long as people keep throwing money at NCL they won't change anything. I was certainly surprised at the drinks being served in Norwegian Cruise Line cups and even more surprised at how many people were ordering.

But at least it looks like they've gotten some water stations going.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were the second ship to dock there and the first to use the pool and Landshark. I think they just have to work out the kinks. I understand that NCL has really tried to use locals and employs quite a few. They also used local materials and included local artists in the craft stores

• 2 weeks later...
When we were there, we only saw 2 water stations having 2-3 gallons of water for 1000s of people. They ran out after about 15-20 people and then it took them about a half hour to come back with more. No water fountains. If you wanted water, you had to buy water from the bars. Water is a necessary life sustaining fluid in 90 degree humid weather. To me, it was offensive to not provide water or if you don't have the setup on the island for water, then hand out bottles as people leave the ship or inform passengers that they need to bring water. I was okay with not being able to go to the mainland, but not providing enough water can be dangerous

I always bring my own water bottles from the ship :)

We are considering a Western Caribbean trip, because DH is a diver. The HC stop is the one hiccup. Generally he does spend a shore day with the family, but we like to have something to do during that day. The hanging on the beach likely isn't going to interest him. No diving and no snorkeling is a huge bummer when some of the best of both were previously available.

We are considering a Western Caribbean trip, because DH is a diver. The HC stop is the one hiccup. Generally he does spend a shore day with the family, but we like to have something to do during that day. The hanging on the beach likely isn't going to interest him. No diving and no snorkeling is a huge bummer when some of the best of both were previously available.

Totally agree that a stop in Belize that does not include diving or snorkeling is very disappointing. So close - and yet so far from a wonderful reef!

I am glad I read the posts on Harvest Caye. It sounded interesting but having read about paying for food, lack of water, not too interesting activites except for the pool, I will not book NCL for a Western Carribean cruise.

Hope others enjoy their visits!

I do not know. Call and ask NCL. We do not dive or snorkel so Harvest Caye was fine with us, but we were upset by lack of free water in the 90 degree heat with high humidity. Hopefully they resolved that. It is inappropriate to expect people to buy water or pass out

I do not know. Call and ask NCL. We do not dive or snorkel so Harvest Caye was fine with us, but we were upset by lack of free water in the 90 degree heat with high humidity. Hopefully they resolved that. It is inappropriate to expect people to buy water or pass out

most people would then buy a drink if they are thirsty

Does anyone know if the food is free on Harvest Caye like on other private island???

Harvest Caye is not classified as a Private Island, it is a private port. NCL leases the island and all food and shops are run by companies from Mainland Belize! This is why UBP isn't good on the island.

I would think you'd be fine jogging at 7 AM. Most people won't be up and off the ship, so I wouldn't think the island is crowded. It depends how far you want to go. The walkway to/from the ship is probably half a mile all by itself; you could run back and forth down it (if not crowded with other people). The paths that roughly circle the island are also okay to run on (although again you'd have to be careful there weren't too many people walking on them).