Duty Free Jewellery On Shore in Oz

robtulipe

We leaving for a Oz Radiance cruise in two weeks and then will stray with DW's cousin and her husband for 12 days after we get off in Perth.

Cousin's husband email us this week and asked if we could check out buying a Canadian sourced diamond pendant as a surprise for his wife. She originally was from Canada. We've been checking out getting this for him.

Are there duty free onshore shop on the top end Oz itinerary which has Brisbane, Darwin. Benoa Bali, Airlie Beach, Port Hedland and Geraldton for our cruise?

I don't recall anything but regular shops at the cruise terminals when we did a Sydney to Perth via NZ bottom end cruise two year on Voyager.

I suspect Bali might be the best possibility for duty free jewellery and would appreciate it if others who have been there can confirm if such is present there and if Canadian diamonds were being offered?

There are duty free shops in Australia and a traveler's refund scheme on the GST, but the goods have to leave Australia, so I'm not sure that you could but "Duty Free" and then leave it with your Brother in Australia.

There are duty free shops in Australia and a traveler's refund scheme on the GST, but the goods have to leave Australia, so I'm not sure that you could but "Duty Free" and then leave it with your Brother in Australia.

We've done this with duty free items from the ship, granted it was mostly liquor, given as gifts to Aussies on our past visit.

Doing the Aussie GST rebate for tourist might complicate matters too much. That's why I prefer the duty free route. ;)

PS, they are DW's cousin and her husband (cousin in law).

• 2 weeks later...

As long as bought before Darwin on land that would be possible.

Alternatively if bought onboard then it would also work.

Both would be subject to the traveller's tax free allowance.