Best Airport To Fly Into For NYC

Merriem

Are you flying in the morning of, or beforehand? If the morning of, LaGuardia is the closest to Manhattan. If beforehand, you can fly into any of JFK, EWR or LGA and catch a flat-rate cab into the City.

We always fly at least one day ahead, and may make it two and spend a little time in the city.

Flying nonstop to NYC ? or with a hub connection via ??? and origin airport ?

Any difference in airfares - regional (narrow bodied) jets and 737 ER's - sadly, fewer 757's and A320's on many popular short & medium haul routes?

Time of the year as weather often played a factor in addition to the carrier flown (B6 or JetBlue being infamous for proactively cancelling flights as such as the buzz word "storm" come up in the groundhog (or, weather experts, LOL) forecast. JFK tend to do best in most cases, EWR is renowned for flight delays due to runway configurations and LGA with mostly 50 and 75 seaters (smaller birds, missed the DC-10's and 767's then) tend to get more cancelled flights last month & this month with ice & snow - and, we are 2 miles across the Bay looking at Runway 31 all the time from the attic den (much rather fly out of JFK 12 miles further away).

Look in the NA - East Coast Departure forum and it has all the 411's and 991 FA asked & mostly answered. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

Excluding mass transit of train, bus & subway with transfers & AirTrains - JFK has flat rate yellow taxi to Manhattan only, LGA is on metered fare and EWR coming into Manhattan is most expensive with tunnel tolls & zoned fare by NJ taxis only (semi-flat rates & surcharges) We're snowless until January & since then, car services - Dial7 and Carmel (our preferred) with flat rates are best option without surprises.

Personally, do NOT like Uber/X with their surge pricing or Lyft, and forget SuperShuttle popularized in SFO 20 years ago, and airporter bus only if you aren't in a hurry & don't mind sightseeing the "other" side of town on your way to the hotel xx minuts later.

Going on the BA again soon ourselves & welcome to the Big Apple !!

Flying nonstop to NYC ? or with a hub connection via ??? and origin airport ?

Any difference in airfares - regional (narrow bodied) jets and 737 ER's - sadly, fewer 757's and A320's on many popular short & medium haul routes?

Time of the year as weather often played a factor in addition to the carrier flown (B6 or JetBlue being infamous for proactively cancelling flights as such as the buzz word "storm" come up in the groundhog (or, weather experts, LOL) forecast. JFK tend to do best in most cases, EWR is renowned for flight delays due to runway configurations and LGA with mostly 50 and 75 seaters (smaller birds, missed the DC-10's and 767's then) tend to get more cancelled flights last month & this month with ice & snow - and, we are 2 miles across the Bay looking at Runway 31 all the time from the attic den (much rather fly out of JFK 12 miles further away).

Look in the NA - East Coast Departure forum and it has all the 411's and 991 FA asked & mostly answered. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

Excluding mass transit of train, bus & subway with transfers & AirTrains - JFK has flat rate yellow taxi to Manhattan only, LGA is on metered fare and EWR coming into Manhattan is most expensive with tunnel tolls & zoned fare by NJ taxis only (semi-flat rates & surcharges) We're snowless until January & since then, car services - Dial7 and Carmel (our preferred) with flat rates are best option without surprises.

Personally, do NOT like Uber/X with their surge pricing or Lyft, and forget SuperShuttle popularized in SFO 20 years ago, and airporter bus only if you aren't in a hurry & don't mind sightseeing the "other" side of town on your way to the hotel xx minuts later.

Going on the BA again soon ourselves & welcome to the Big Apple !!

Thank you. We fly out of Spokane, Washington and have to change planes. I will not fly United.........long story.........very bad experience. We will be going in September so weather should not be an issue. We are looking forward to the Breakaway................it looks like a great ship...........

The fares are all somewhat similar. I will keep checking to see if they go down, but they usually do not.

Are you flying in the morning of, or beforehand? If the morning of, LaGuardia is the closest to Manhattan. If beforehand, you can fly into any of JFK, EWR or LGA and catch a flat-rate cab into the City.

The only flat rate is from JFK, not from LGA or EWR.

We fly out of Spokane, Washington and have to change planes. I will not fly United.........We will be going in September so weather should not be an issue.

Got it - UX ... the unFriendly Skies that I've flown since the 70's, enough said & about those CRJ's. For years, SEA was one of my favorite gateway/hub, easy to connect & choice of 767's, then ... Looks like Alaska or DL, I would connect into JFK, then flat rate taxi to the "city" coming in ahead of sail date. Sept is a busy month for tourism, US Tennis & U.N General Assembly, Fashion Week, etc. so lock in your best 100% refundable hotel deals/rates ASAP or whatever.

It doesn't sound like you plan to use AirTrain option but that's easiest to do among 3 airports. With the taxi's flat rate, traditional car services keep their rates competitive for rides from/to JFK into Manhattan.

Happy planning !!

Thank you. We fly out of Spokane, Washington and have to change planes. I will not fly United.........long story.........very bad experience. We will be going in September so weather should not be an issue. We are looking forward to the Breakaway................it looks like a great ship...........

The fares are all somewhat similar. I will keep checking to see if they go down, but they usually do not.

If you are adventurous, consider Amtrak, at least one way. The train comes through Spokane about 1 a.m. (both directions). I detest flying and last summer, following a southbound Alaska cruise I took Amtrak from Vancouver, BC to Chicago by way of Sacramento (DW flew home from Seattle).

If you are adventurous' date=' consider Amtrak, at least one way. The train comes through Spokane about 1 a.m. (both directions). I detest flying and last summer, following a southbound Alaska cruise I took Amtrak from Vancouver, BC to Chicago by way of Sacramento (DW flew home from Seattle).[/quote']

Oh we took a tract from whitefish to Minneapolis, and it was just horrible. It was an adventure when all the water froze and we were eating on paper plates!

Delta has a one change in MSP..would like to take Virginia America but the connections are not good.

Will make a decision shortly. We have had such poor service in first class that we will do premium economy and get as good of service. I actually wonder how UA stays in business.