God Bless Texas

cruiseobsessed

My sincerest apologies to those I have offended. I had just read some comments from various European sources, saying we (as a country) could have prevented, should have been better prepared, deserved it because we caused global warming, etc. I went off half-cocked and should not have disparaged an entire continent because I was upset at what a few people had expressed, I acted no better than they did.

Ah, don't beat yourself up. Sometimes it does feel like some people in other countries have nothing better to do than kick the U.S. around; but as you've seen our true friends rise up when we really need it. This may well be one of those times.

Ah, don't beat yourself up. Sometimes it does feel like some people in other countries have nothing better to do than kick the U.S. around; but as you've seen our true friends rise up when we really need it. This may well be one of those times.

Thanks for the support, Pirate, but I was wrong to make such a blanket statement. I KNOW GB and the Aussies are our friends and to offend them really does upset me. As my friend Emma would say, "Well, you've gone and stepped in it again, haven't you?!":o

I live about 80 miles from Charlotte and frequently listen to their radio stations. I don't know if you listen to 95.1, but they were the first people I heard working on relief efforts through a marathon broadcast, which I believed started Monday. Kudos to Charlotte as well for always being a giving city.

God Bless You--Any country that is willing to help out the NO disaster. This has been a horrible devastation. No one knew how bad it was going to be.

Thanks for any kindnesses that you can send.

Blessings and prayers go to NO and areas around the coast.

Sharon

Im very proud to live in the Houston area! But like another poster said,your state would do the same if you were closer and had that big ole dome sitting empty...everyone around here had been wondering why they just didnt tear it down..now we know!

I work for Dillards and we HAD quite a few stores along the Gulf Coast..now we have 3 ...so the Houston area (and other Dillards stores,Im sure)stores are hiring in all the misplaced employees...they are even making up new jobs..one store manager from the New Orleans store is now in our store and her main job now is to make sure that all of these employees know how to go about getting their paychecks.

Ive had so many customers the last 3 days from N.O.The first day I got so depressed just listening to their stories.I cannot even begin to imagine how they feel! They were in buying the 75% off merchandise as most families left with very few things.A few had to put back clothes because they were going over their "limit" on what they could afford to spend.Im not allowed to buy anything while Im on the clock,or I would have whipped out my charge card several times!

Thanks to everyone that has/will help.I live in Texas now,but I was born and raised in Louisiana.I was very upset a few years ago that my several family members to moved to California.I feared for their lives!Cringed every time they told me about an earth quake...now,Im GLAD they moved,or they just might have lost everything they owed,not to mention their lives! Dot

Thanks for the support, Pirate, but I was wrong to make such a blanket statement. I KNOW GB and the Aussies are our friends and to offend them really does upset me. As my friend Emma would say, "Well, you've gone and stepped in it again, haven't you?!":o

Thanks Reece. Takes a big person to say sorry. All Americans are very emotional at the moment, understandably. My sister is in the process of moving to Texas. I was worried for her moving to such a big place but you have all given me real optimism that she is doing the right thing. You are all fantastic.:D ;)

Our city was asked to take in over 100 patients from the Gulf. However, we can't get them :( They have ceased the evacuation efforts from the hospitals due to the shootings... hopefully they will start back up again and they can get people out of there... it is truly heart wrenching.

I know what your wife means... I have said the same thing. I'll adopt animals, families... whatever is necessary :(

For those interested in the animals and possinly helping the animals, here is some info passed on from an animal rescue org that my wife and I volunteer for.

(and no I am not putting the animals abbove humans, but realize they need some help also)

In addition to the hundreds of thousands of humans trafically affected by hurricane Katrina's rage, thousands of pets and livestock are also victims:

Some people were forced to leave their pets behind when evacuation shelters or hotels wouldn't take pets.

Others were never able to evacuate at all.

Survivors are now homeless and can't care for their beloved pets.

Horses and other livestock are loose, injured, and stranded. Do you have a farm or ranch to which you could rescue one?

More than 30 experienced Humane Society of the United States' rescue staff and volunteers from 12 states who are trained in animal rescue are coordinating with state officials, federal agencies, and other rescue organizations to evacuate animals out of the most-affected areas.

Ariesnet President Linda Norman is also President of the Flower Mound Humane Society, http://www.fmhs.org, and told me that over 9000 animals rescued from Katrina's wake will be arriving in Dallastomorrow, Thursday, Sept. 1. If you or someone you know might take in an animal - dog, cat, horse, etc. - please call 972-691-7387. If you know someone interested outside of D-FW, they can check with their local humane society or animal shelter about assisting (Houstonis also receiving thousands of animals from La.).

From the FMHS website:

The Animal Victims of Hurricane Katrina

Our hearts go out to all the victims of Hurricane Katrina, both human and animal. Flower Mound Humane Society is coordinating with other local rescue groups to take in animals evacuated from Louisianato the D/FW area. If you would like to open your home to one of these animals in need, please call us at 972-691-7387. If you would like to make a donation to help the rescue effort, please contribute to the Humane Society of the United States' Disaster Services Fund by clicking here: https://secure.hsus.org/01/disaster_relief_fund_2005

For more information about the Humane Society of the United States, their relief efforts, and hurricane stories from affected pet owners, please go to http://www.hsus.org.

My sincerest apologies to those I have offended. I had just read some comments from various European sources, saying we (as a country) could have prevented, should have been better prepared, deserved it because we caused global warming, etc. I went off half-cocked and should not have disparaged an entire continent because I was upset at what a few people had expressed, I acted no better than they did.

Kind of like many of us do about Euro countries? It's human nature to blast people. Although we could of prevented much of the problem if the Corp of Engineers was given the funds they had been asking for.

Michael

It upsets me that the media is just so focused on all the negative. They aren't willing to show any positive at all. I have yet to see stories of people helping. Just because the media does not like our president doesn't mean they need to be this way. Many of our guard have been called up and deployed. They are there now in NO but the news keeps trying to say they are not. How sad that they are not willing to tell the truth. Stories about people helping people are not being told. They tried to make it seem like our government is doing nothing when in fact they are doing things. Does anyone else get frustrated with our media in the US?

It upsets me that the media is just so focused on all the negative. They aren't willing to show any positive at all. I have yet to see stories of people helping. Just because the media does not like our president doesn't mean they need to be this way. Many of our guard have been called up and deployed. They are there now in NO but the news keeps trying to say they are not. How sad that they are not willing to tell the truth. Stories about people helping people are not being told. They tried to make it seem like our government is doing nothing when in fact they are doing things. Does anyone else get frustrated with our media in the US?

Where are you hearing that, foxnews? All I see are images of destruction and people trying to help. People who are not getting on the rescue buses because they keep going through their old neighborhood looking for more and more victims that need assitance leaving their homes. The emt and other medical personnel helping. The donated medivac fixed wing and helicopters assisting.

Of course, and the president himself and other gov. officials, have been freely admitting they have been too slow to react.

Michael

Just heard on FoxNW that they are now going to use the convention centre next to the Astrodome as a shelter for 11000 more people. The Mayor of Houston ordered that all convention bookings be cancelled.

Now if the rest of the pols would step up and show that kind of leadership.

Archived