God Bless Texas

cruiseobsessed

We are in our worst hour of need and our neighbors lent a helping hand.

My hat is off to Houston and any one else who takes people in from this Hurricane.My prayers go out to everyone who has been made homeless and jobless overnight.

I hope that all of us cruisers can donate a few dollars one foo foo drink to the relief fund. Just think how much help that would be.

It is time for America to join hands and help our brothers and sisters in this time of need.

Indeed! I'm so glad that Texas has opened there arms!!!! As well as everyone else that has been so generous in this time of need... in the midst of some of the horrow we have seen, it is a testament to the humanity of Americans in general... It's amazing what we can do when we all pull together!!!

Live in the DFW area and my understanding once they are in Houston some will be transfered to Dallas and Fort Worth. I'm an ER nurse at one of the hospitals here in DFW area and we are gearing up to accept patients from the NO hospitals. Glad to be able to help.

Already lots of displaced people in the Dallas area. Some housed at Reunion Arena. CC friends from south of New Orleans said there are lots of Texas Utility & bucket trucks there to help restore power. Lots of donations here, housing, medical & some have jobs already.

The sad part of this is, we Americans help everyone, even those ungrateful Europeans (please, flame away) and no other country offers help in our time of need. Please let me know (other then RedCross, already done that) how I can help you in Texas. You are truly doing what is needed.

You are MORE than welcome..This afternoon the call went out for Volunteers to help out at the Astrodome..After 2 hours,they had to call off the sign up,because they had more people than they could use:)

Some poor guy showed up with a truck load of hotdogs already cooked,and buns...and they would not let him serve them,because it was not RedCross approved :( ..But the stories that are coming out are incredible.People all over town,North South East and West...are opeing their doors,and letting families in.

The owner of the Texans has pledged a million dollars..Tillman Fertitta (Landrys)

Ten Thousand.A furniture store owner,from LA has converted his newly constructed warehouse to be a shelter...

Its really touching...Although there were some initial reports of price gauging at some Hotels...once the Media has gotten hold of them..Most of them have refunded monies,and greatly discounted hotel rooms.Some people strangers going to hotels and paying rooms for the week for people..

The State has approved the Children to be classified as homeless,and can attend school here as soon as they can get enrolled.Pharmacies (most) are accepting out of state prescriptions.Texas Childrens Hospital is funding the cost and providing air evacuation to dozens of seriously ill children..(without their parents :( )..Its a horrilbe situation,but its great to see our State and city come through...Because but for the Grace of God,and about 300 miles West...It would be us in this situation.

I don't know about the rest of ya'll..But my kids have slept in my bed the past 2 nights.

God Bless you all.

The sad part of this is, we Americans help everyone, even those ungrateful Europeans (please, flame away) and no other country offers help in our time of need. Please let me know (other then RedCross, already done that) how I can help you in Texas. You are truly doing what is needed.

These were my initial thoughts as well...All though,its impossible to know what is going on because the Media is so focused on the tragedy at hand now.But there is a thread on the RCI board discussing this,and it looks like countries are starting to come through...I am sure those who can.Will.

I think one of the things all of us can do right now,other than monitary donations to you favorite charity,specifically for the Hurricane fund..Is to just take some time to reflect on what we have,how quickly it can be lost,and how in the end..All we have is each other.

You are MORE than welcome..This afternoon the call went out for Volunteers to help out at the Astrodome..After 2 hours,they had to call off the sign up,because they had more people than they could use:)

Some poor guy showed up with a truck load of hotdogs already cooked,and buns...and they would not let him serve them,because it was not RedCross approved :( ..But the stories that are coming out are incredible.People all over town,North South East and West...are opeing their doors,and letting families in.

The owner of the Texans has pledged a million dollars..Tillman Fertitta (Landrys)

Ten Thousand.A furniture store owner,from LA has converted his newly constructed warehouse to be a shelter...

Its really touching...Although there were some initial reports of price gauging at some Hotels...once the Media has gotten hold of them..Most of them have refunded monies,and greatly discounted hotel rooms.Some people strangers going to hotels and paying rooms for the week for people..

The State has approved the Children to be classified as homeless,and can attend school here as soon as they can get enrolled.Pharmacies (most) are accepting out of state prescriptions.Texas Childrens Hospital is funding the cost and providing air evacuation to dozens of seriously ill children..(without their parents :( )..Its a horrilbe situation,but its great to see our State and city come through...Because but for the Grace of God,and about 300 miles West...It would be us in this situation.

I don't know about the rest of ya'll..But my kids have slept in my bed the past 2 nights.

God Bless you all.

That's great that everyone is doing so much to help out. But the thing about the hot dogs angers me very much!! That's just not right. :mad:

That's great that everyone is doing so much to help out. But the thing about the hot dogs angers me very much!! That's just not right. :mad:

I know Lauri, I thought the same thing... but you have to think from their point of view... they have basically taken these people into custody to keep them safe, or do the best they can... now, this guy had the best of intentions, but had the people gotten sick, there would have been hell to pay... there is SO much the Red Cross has to go through with things like this, which is why they ask that individuals not donate food, etc... it makes more work for them just in making sure everything is safe for the people they are taking care of... but you KNOW those people would have LOVED a hot dog :( And it was a nice gesture... but I guess they were trying to be cautious...

All together now...

The stars at night are big & bright...(clap, clap, clap, calp)...deep in the heart of TEXAS!! :D

I am so proud to be a Texan, born & raised - Round Rock/Austin area. I definitely miss that Texan hospitality living here in Missouri. In fact, we had planned a Labor Day weekend trip home, but have changed our plans.

God bless all those whose lives have been altered by Hurricane Katrina.

Happy sailing,

T.

My son is a Red Cross volunteer in Dallas and is a shift manager at one of the shelters. The most needed thing now is a monetary donation. The churchs in the neighborhood have organized a clothing drive to provide those necessities. Tonight, Olive Garden donated dinner for everyone at the shelter. Gatorade sent 3 truck loads of drinks. Diapers have been donated (more the 8000 so far). Every place I know is having some kind of fund raiser for the victims. My daughters school is trying to raise $5000. These people need help with gas to go look for jobs, etc. Many have said they will not even try to go back..... nothing to go back to. They will look for work here.... kids go to school here... etc. They have to start over anyway, why not here. Almost every hotel in our area is completely full, but sooner or later these people will not be able to afford to continue to live in a hotel. Texans have always been known for their generosity and friendliness... here's just another example. We are always proud to help.

Glad to hear a positive spin on what's really going on as far as people stepping up and wanting to help out.

The media does not want to focus in on anything but the negative of course. They would have you think nobody is doing anything for these people, no help has arrived yet and maybe never will.

I know Lauri, I thought the same thing... but you have to think from their point of view... they have basically taken these people into custody to keep them safe, or do the best they can... now, this guy had the best of intentions, but had the people gotten sick, there would have been hell to pay... there is SO much the Red Cross has to go through with things like this, which is why they ask that individuals not donate food, etc... it makes more work for them just in making sure everything is safe for the people they are taking care of... but you KNOW those people would have LOVED a hot dog :( And it was a nice gesture... but I guess they were trying to be cautious...

I know Chris. But here is someone who's gone to such great lengths to help total strangers. You just hate to see it be all for nothing.

That is not quite true that no other country offers help in America's time of need. Our Prime Minister John Howard called President Bush today offering Australian help.

Also have you forgotten about the Australian troops in Iraq!

Australians often help other countries including the USA and give generously of their time and money.

I still have a problem with the hot dog situation. We had a hard time when hurricane Ivan came through. No power or water for 3 weeks. we had to go to dist. center to get ice, drinking water, and MRE's. They had local churches open for volunteers, and Red Cross to provide hot meals. They also would make announcements on local radio stations of things that were needed to help complete meals as in later in a weeks time, they were starting to run out of food. Some groc. stores were open due to generators, some people were able to get already baked cakes, cookies, ect... volunteers also brought food out of their freezers to cook before it spoiled. No one turned down food, uncooked or already cooked. Everyone was very grateful to get what they could to eat, especially a hot meal, even a good ole hot dog.

462.gif I'm proud to be a Texan & this state & our people are doing everything they can to help as many people as possible. As a tornado survivor, I understand some of what these people of going through. My heart goes out to them.

Dateline last night, reported that more than a dozen countries have promised help. That's great to hear.

Southwest Airlines sent ground employees from Houston and Dallas to work in New Orleans, while the local employees went home to pack. They had the last planes to leave NO. On the last plane were the employees from Houston and Dallas along with some other local employees and their DOGS!!!

Southwest is paying their NO employees while they cannot work because of the damage to the airport and NO. They are also putting any NO SWA employee that didn't have another place to go up in a Houston area resort hotel and paying for their meals. Tell me that is not a TEXAS based Company!!!

God Bless

:mad: Sorry but have found this remark really offensive. I am from the UK and it seems to me that whenever there is a natural disaster the UK are often the first to put their hands in their own pockets. Here we raised over $40 million for the tsunami just from our own pockets, never mind what our governement added. Live aid, G8live etc. I thought Americans saw us as distant neighbours and friends, not ungrateful Europeans!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched the fox news coverage live over hear in absolute horror and I pray for all affected. Love and light. Nicky

:mad: Sorry but have found this remark really offensive. I am from the UK and it seems to me that whenever there is a natural disaster the UK are often the first to put their hands in their own pockets. Here we raised over $40 million for the tsunami just from our own pockets, never mind what our governement added. Live aid, G8live etc. I thought Americans saw us as distant neighbours and friends, not ungrateful Europeans!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched the fox news coverage live over hear in absolute horror and I pray for all affected. Love and light. Nicky

You are absolutely right!!! The great people from the UK are always there to help us!! And we are very grateful... there are many countries that help us during disasters... Just seems they don't get the media coverage (and shame on the media for that!!)

Archived