2015 sail Amsterdam festival

patiolaterns

Looking for info on the 2105 sail Amsterdam festival.

We will arrive Aug.22 on Azamara Quest. Will the ship dock close to the sail in?

Could we view festival from the ship or.....?

Do you need to pre purchase tickets or transportation for viewing of the festival events?

Any comments or suggestions would be helpful

Thanks

We were on the cruise that went during Sail Amsterdam the last time they had it - 2010 maybe? We docked in Ijmuiden because all of the ships were sailing up the river the day we arrived. The port is full of tall ships and other vessels. I'm not sure how a cruise ship would have room to dock there as well. Azamara or the port provided a bus transfer to the local train station in Harlem. It was only about a 15 mint rain ride into Amsterdam. There were excursions set up as well, but we tend to do our own thing most of the time. The city was absolutely packed! We actually stayed away from the train and port area to visit other parts of Amsterdam that were less crowded. I believe there was a schedule of events on line with a map showing where everything would be, so that might help your planning.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The Sail Amsterdam happens only every five years so this is your chance!

Here's the link to our SAIL Amsterdam Voyage onboard the AZAMARA QUEST.

FYI: due to the popularity of this festival with thousands of watercrafts of all sizes and shapes on the main waterway, our normal central berthing location will be off limits for cruise ships. On this two day call, the QUEST will berth at the Amsterdam Marine Terminal. Pending road traffic, this is about 20 minutes by shuttle bus. There is also a train station at Sloterdijk for access to the city center.

For the Sail Amsterdam weekend:

The port will provide two shuttle busses for the duration of the call (one to city center and one to Sloterdijk Train station).

Driving time to center will take approx. 20 minutes.

Walking distance from berth to the Sloterdijk Train Station is approx. 45 minutes.

Driving time, by bus, from this berth to the Sloterdijk Train Station? Approx. 5-10 minutes.

Train ride from the station into Amsterdam is 7 minutes.

Current cost of a one way and round trip train ticket? One way € 2,10, return € 4,20.

Frequency of train service? Remember, it will be a holiday weekend. During weekdays, every 5 minutes during daytime

• 4 months later...

Bonnie,

Sailing on the Quest, porting Amsterdam Marine terminal Aug 22/23. We would like to purchase tickets to see the Ann Frank House on the 23rd at 9:00 am, then take a WW II walking tour starting at the AFH. What is the best way for us to get from the ship to the AFH ?

Lee Vaughn

Bonnie,

Sailing on the Quest, porting Amsterdam Marine terminal Aug 22/23. We would like to purchase tickets to see the Ann Frank House on the 23rd at 9:00 am, then take a WW II walking tour starting at the AFH. What is the best way for us to get from the ship to the AFH ?

Lee Vaughn

Anne Frank House is not far from Central Station and is a nice walk. So take the pendle bus. I think you can't purchase ticket for a special time. So it is always queueing.

Anne Frank House is not far from Central Station and is a nice walk. So take the pendle bus. I think you can't purchase ticket for a special time. So it is always queueing.

Hello Lee Vaughn,

It's been quite awhile since I've visited Amsterdam. So I'm glad Henk113 has answered this for you.

I hope you'll come back to this thread and tell us how your time in Amsterdam turns out.

You can purchase tickets online for stated times and it the Anne Frank House is one of the most memorable places I have been in my travels. Amsterdam is a great city too.

I looked it up and indeed you can buy online tickets with a time to enter without waiting in the queue.

Is 9:00 am not to early? I don't know how late (or early:)) the first pendlebus will drive to Amsterdam and after that you need a nice walk.

Bonnie,

Lee Vaughn

You can try and get reservations at this site (the reservation cost is 50 cent), but theymay be all full for your dates. It is definately worth it if you can. I visited this museum three weeks ago and I walked in while the on-site wait was 2-3 hours.

The annex itself is very small with steep stairs so the visit time itself will be quite slow at the pinch points. Overall it was very worth while not just for Ann, but for the millions of other Anns, Aarons, Abrahams etc.

http://www.annefrank.org/en/Museum/Practical-information/Frequently-asked-questions/Online-ticket-sales/