Newbie to River Cruises

SusieO

We are thinking about booking our first River Cruise; Viking Gefron for the Christmas Markets 12/3 to 12/9.

Since we know little to nothing about river cruising my questions are; do you have to go to the organized tours they are showing on the itinerary? What if we prefer to go on our own...does Viking allow this? What if we don't want to be off the river boat early morning do they allow us to stay onboard?

If Viking does not allow this what cruise line does? We are looking for something on the nicer side, with good food (I know this is quite subjective...we love the food on Oceania) that allows you to hop on/off at your leisure when the boat is in a port. I have a leg weakness and some days I am unable to do a tour and need to be able to relax and rest.

Thanks much!

Edited by SusieO

We are thinking about booking our first River Cruise; Viking Gefron for the Christmas Markets 12/3 to 12/9.

Since we know little to nothing about river cruising my questions are; do you have to go to the organized tours they are showing on the itinerary? What if we prefer to go on our own...does Viking allow this? What if we don't want to be off the river boat early morning do they allow us to stay onboard?

If Viking does not allow this what cruise line does? We are looking for something on the nicer side, with good food (I know this is quite subjective...we love the food on Oceania) that allows you to hop on/off at your leisure when the boat is in a port. I have a leg weakness and some days I am unable to do a tour and need to be able to relax and rest.

Thanks much!

Welcome to CC, Susie.

To answer your question in a simple sentence: Nobody will insist that you join the included shore excursion if you don't want to. That being said, there are a few good reasons to go on the walking tour with the TM or local guide: 1. you'll find out where everything is in relation to the ship; 2. you'll learn a little about the area's history, people, restaurants, shopping, etc. and 3. You'll learn how to get back to the ship from town (very important if you want to continue on the cruise:D). But no one will insist that you go. The only thing they will insist on is that you know EXACTLY what time you must be on board for sailing. You should also keep in mind that on some of the rivers the departure time can change quickly if the water level at the port you're in OR at the port you're heading to or anywhere in between the two changes. I have walking issues too and I understand what you're saying.

Don't just look at Viking. There are many other lines that IMHO give you more bang for your buck. I personally have done 6 cruises with Vantage and will recommend them without reservation. The cabin size is comfortable and many cabins have french balconies (not to be confused with balconies on ocean ships), the food is consistently very good to excellent, some cruises include wine and beer with dinner and the ship itself, while not luxurious, is more than very comfortable. They don't use travel agents and they don't advertise, but you can google them and get their website.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Thanks much!

Thank you very much Hydrokitty!

Welcome to River Cruising! There's a sticky at the top of this forum that will provide you with lots of useful information, including a downloadable CC compilation of all the major river cruise lines which compares each line to a hotel chain and an ocean cruise line. Since you mention Oceania, you will note that CC compares that to AMA Waterways. I have sailed AMA and have a second cruise booked for later this year, and I agree with the CC descriptions in that document.

Susie,

I would also encourage you to look at a number of lines. Like you when I first started looking at River Cruises I looked at Viking since it was the only line I had heard of. Then I found Uniworld and began comparing their ships, food, and found they were all inclusive and on the nicer side of the equation. Went with them for my first River Cruise this past July and loved it. Found the food wonderful with not one subpar meal the entire trip. I'm booked on their Christmas Market Cruise from Budapest to Passau this December. They have a new ship setting sail this March called the SS Maria Theresa. If you think you will be on board at times other then excursions this could be a nice choice. Their new ships are true luxury. I sailed on the sister ship SS Antoinette previously. They have an indoor pool which is nice for low impact exercise should that be helpful. It is all inclusive with alcohol any time, excursions, tips, etc.. River cruising is so enjoyable you will probably enjoy it no matter what(especially at Christmas) but in my opinion Uniworld would be worth taking a look at for a Christmas Cruise on the Maria Theresa. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks, again, for all the great input! My head is spinning...never seemed to have had this much problem deciding on an ocean cruise. A huge learning process and we are enjoying it!

Susie.....your reward for this learning process is an addiction to river cruising!!!

They're like potato chips....you can't just take one!!!!:D

Hello,

We are also new to river cruising and chose AMA for our first one in June. We will be on the Amalyra boarding in Budapest. It's a 2 week cruise that ends in Luxembourg with a transfer to Paris. We are spending 4 days in Paris and 3 in Budapest. Any suggestions for things we should not miss in either of these cities. There are so many choices and with limited time would appreciate any information.

Jane

Susie.....your reward for this learning process is an addiction to river cruising!!!

They're like potato chips....you can't just take one!!!!:D

Well said!!

I second the suggestions that you look at multiple lines. You may end up with Viking in the end, but it is worth while looking at other options.

I love Uniworld - having sailed with them 3 times - but they are on the upper end of the river cruise market these days - especially after they went all-inclusive. Without knowing what drives (or impacts) your decisions, it is hard to really make a suggestion. We have travelled with Uniworld, AMA, Avalon, Scenic & Viking so far. We let itinerary, then dates then price guide us.

We have not travelled Tauck - as they are quite a bit higher price point for us here in Canada (I know they compare well for people in other areas - but not for us....). We also have not travelled Vantage or Grand Circle - and I doubt that we ever will. This has nothing to do with their product --> it is because they are not covered by TICO (Travel Insurance program here in Ontario) so am a bit leary when I have others to book that do have TICO coverage.

The Viking 2-for-1 is the "sale that never ends" - so you do have some time to review your options. If you do decide to book Viking (and, they are usually comparable price wise to other lines) you do need to be aware that they ask for payment in full quite quickly. Not as issue for us _ but it is for some.

Have fun planning!!

Fran

We've sailed twice with Avalon and have our third booked in April, we are taking 2 other couples along with us. We have had a very good experience with them, food, cabins, the tours, everything. We have skipped many a tour. The CD every evening highlights the next day...and maps are provided, plus they have given us recommendations as to where to eat, etc. Have fun!

I can only speak about Viking, but I was very impressed with them on our cruise last summer. We often took what they referred to as the "leisurely" tour. It covered the same itinerary as the regular one, but without steps, etc. There was one couple with a wheelchair and others using canes who traveled regularly in this group. You never have to go on a tour, and you can just go on your own. Sometimes, however, the ship will sail on while you tour and your group will be bussed to the next port. Or you may be docked at an inconvenient area to just walk on or off the ship. Shuttles were usually provided for in those instances.

Thanks much!

Keep in mind you are paying for an included excursion in every port. These are generally short overview tours, two to three hours or maybe even less time. I would take the included tours and have plans to tour afterward on your own, time permitting. Before you go Viking sends a very detailed itinerary book that was pretty accurate for timing purposes. I think you will find there is little to nothing to do on board and you will be ready to get off the ship with the group. Riverboats are not ocean going ships activity wise.

Viking food is not great, we love Oceania food so I know your frame of reference. Book viking if you get a really good deal for the total package, otherwise look upmarket if you want fine food. We were satisfied with the Viking total product for the price paid.

Thanks much Sammiedawg! We did end up booking Viking for the Christmas Markets because I liked their itinerary the best. However, I am looking at Vantage and a few others for a Tulips/Windmills for next spring. What line do you feel has food that is comparable to Oceania?