Nieuw Amsterdam laundry room

phinn

During a Behind the Scenes Tour of the Ms Oosterdam, I asked the Laundry Manager about hot water. His reply was that guests clothing was washed in warm water, and if requested, it will be washed in cold water.

We have sent out laundry on nearly every cruise day for the past six years. Items marked wash cold and dry low have never been damaged. The only things that we wash in a sink/tub are items that require line drying.

We appreciate the ship's laundry and pack only enough clothing for 3-4 days while reserving our soda checked-in luggage for returning souvenirs.

I agree. We've used the laundry on every cruise and have never had a problem with shrinkage so they must wash the items in warm water. We wear cotton shirts and pants and have had no shrinkage. We've also had formal clothes sent out for ironing and all have been returned in great shape. My room steward informed me that he was responsible for pressing our clothes and I must say he did an outstanding job.

I agree. We've used the laundry on every cruise and have never had a problem with shrinkage so they must wash the items in warm water. We wear cotton shirts and pants and have had no shrinkage. We've also had formal clothes sent out for ironing and all have been returned in great shape. My room steward informed me that he was responsible for pressing our clothes and I must say he did an outstanding job.

I think your room steward was pulling your leg.

I wash my good clothes in cold and let them air dry at home. I don't send anything really good to the laundry. I wash it in the sink.

Edited by cruz chic

wow, glad I read this... I'm really disappointed I can't do my own laundry in cold and "cool" dryer. I guess I may have to hunt for a laundramat in a port... but is it hard to find coin laundry in Spain and Italy near to the ships?

I'm not worried about shrinkage as much as I am about knits getting stretched or the pants/capris/jeggings with lycra losing their stretch... HOT dryers are worse than HOT water; at home I line dry nearly everything these days. I don't mind doing wash in the sink but these travel knit/lycra stuff can take a long while to dry. Very disappointed that the ship won't have these facilities.

:(

I have a hard time wringing out the things that I do wash by hand, so I have a little trick - there are always extra towels around, so I wrap things up in a nice fluffy dry towel, roll the towel up, put the roll on the floor and stand on it. I find that most of the moisture is pressed out of the things I have washed, and they dry much more quickly. Also they don't weigh as much on the rather flimsy line.

wow, glad I read this... I'm really disappointed I can't do my own laundry in cold and "cool" dryer. I guess I may have to hunt for a laundramat in a port... but is it hard to find coin laundry in Spain and Italy near to the ships?

I'm not worried about shrinkage as much as I am about knits getting stretched or the pants/capris/jeggings with lycra losing their stretch... HOT dryers are worse than HOT water; at home I line dry nearly everything these days. I don't mind doing wash in the sink but these travel knit/lycra stuff can take a long while to dry. Very disappointed that the ship won't have these facilities.

:(

Like Crew News I've sent many things out to HAL's laundry & nothing was ever ruined.. I don't send my good evening clothes out as I take enough & can wear some of them more than once...I send my everyday things out & they have always come back in beautiful condition..I also request that they are washed in warm or cold water & dried at a low temperature.. Spent 68 days on the Prinsendam in 2013 & always sent both of our clothes out..My goodness they even pressed DH's undershirts..LOL

During a Behind the Scenes Tour of the Ms Oosterdam, I asked the Laundry Manager about hot water. His reply was that guests clothing was washed in warm water, and if requested, it will be washed in cold water.

<SNIP>

I agree, when we took a behind the scenes tour on another ship we were told the same thing & I believe they do..