Tandoor

cadamson

I love the tandoor! I love Indian food! I wish every Carnival ship had a Tandoor. I would even give up one of those 2.0 specialties to have a tandoor on all Carnival ships. I know it will never happen though:(

I was looking forward to the tandoor on the Splendor later this year, but had to cancel that cruise due to timing and work. Am now booked on another cruise that fits my time frame, but no tandoor on that ship. I will survive anyway.

But IMO. Tandoor is the most underrated venue on Carnival ships.

I've never had Indian food. Does anyone have pics of the Tandoor food or can you explain some of the dishes? What is naan?

If you like hot spicy food, it's heaven. If you don't, be prepared to have a burning sensation in the loo the day after.

I can't do real spicy..there is mild Marsala(sp)..and wonderful rice things with veggies and mild seasonings with unique spices..and sweet teas and puddings for dessert and meats cooked in the tandoor oven..I miss living in a small city soooo bad...well, I am sure on Carnival ships that have it you can ask and try and get things to your liking..it is very cool to me too that they have it on a few ships and feel very underrated too as mentioned here..I will remember this as part of picking a ship with more food variety..but I have only had old menu once as good..LOL.. and once as bad in food quality...except for those fruit soups..consistently divine...I would love a meal of the cherry, strawberry, and whatever else..Peach??..got asked by cute girls to join them on their second helpings for dessert on their first discovery...on my last cruise...the fun stuff on Carnival...

It is the salt of the earth people on Carnival that make it..every time when it is that magic..comes with the staff and guests..that special mix and a solo can relly have fun due to that at a budget price..Thanks be to God..

PS I miss some Trader Joes Indian things.

Sarah

Edited by sjn911

I love Indian food and am so excited to go on the Dream which has a Tandoor! I will probably eat it for lunch every day if it is good. :) The reviews have been great, even people who seem to be know good Indian food have really liked it.

I also love Indian food and was once stationed at the Embassy in New Delhi. I haven't eaten in the Carnival Tandoor and am looking forward to it this summer on the Magic. The pictures look great and the menu looks appetizing. I must say - I noticed the beef kabobs on the menu - and have NEVER seen beef on an Indian menu.

I also love Indian food and was once stationed at the Embassy in New Delhi. I haven't eaten in the Carnival Tandoor and am looking forward to it this summer on the Magic. The pictures look great and the menu looks appetizing. I must say - I noticed the beef kabobs on the menu - and have NEVER seen beef on an Indian menu.

Beef is not part of the true Indian diet, I think that it is just included in the tandoor, and many Indian restaurants in North America, because we eat it, so it is just offered as a convenience here in this part of the world. Personally, while I do not eat much meat, or beef, but I do eat both, I actually prefer the Indian vegetarian food in general. My favorite Indian dish of all time is eggplant bharta, sp?. But I do love the tandoor food offerings, including beef and chicken.

On my cruise in 2010 on the Freedom, there was a tandoor, but sadly they took it away during drydock in 2014, to add the 2.0 Guy burgers and blue iguana. I was back on the Freedom last November, and They are ok, but I would gladly trade them back on any ship just to have a tandoor station open for 2 hrs at lunch. But that is just me...Not everyone appreciates Indian food, but they do seem to looooove the Guy burgers.

Edited by SMSACE6

My favorite dish in the Tandoor station is the butter chicken. Yum! And not too spicy.

[emoji572]️ You know you're a cruise addict if:

You know what DOtD and OBC mean.

You enter your bedroom at night and look for the towel animal.

You are reading Cruise Critic, and your cruise isn't for months, or you don't even have one booked (yet!) [emoji572]️

My favorite dish in the Tandoor station is the butter chicken. Yum! And not too spicy.

[emoji572]️ You know you're a cruise addict if:

You know what DOtD and OBC mean.

You enter your bedroom at night and look for the towel animal.

You are reading Cruise Critic, and your cruise isn't for months, or you don't even have one booked (yet!) [emoji572]️

Haven't even been on one and I'm addicted then. [emoji12]

Beef is not part of the true Indian diet, I think that it is just included in the tandoor, and many Indian restaurants in North America, because we eat it, so it is just offered as a convenience here in this part of the world. Personally, while I do not eat much meat, or beef, but I do eat both, I actually prefer the Indian vegetarian food in general. My favorite Indian dish of all time is eggplant bharta, sp?. But I do love the tandoor food offerings, including beef and chicken.

On my cruise in 2010 on the Freedom, there was a tandoor, but sadly they took it away during drydock in 2014, to add the 2.0 Guy burgers and blue iguana. I was back on the Freedom last November, and They are ok, but I would gladly trade them back on any ship just to have a tandoor station open for 2 hrs at lunch. But that is just me...Not everyone appreciates Indian food, but they do seem to looooove the Guy burgers.

I struck up a conversation with the F&B manager on the Conquest and it turned out he was from New Delhi and knew some of the people I knew. One night at dinner - as a surprise an entire Indian feast appeared at our table. It was fantastic. Many, if not most of the executive chefs on Carnival Cruise lines are Indian and are justifiably proud of their culinary skills. I am wondering what ship my friend Sundeep is on now.

We eat a lot of Indian food, even try to make it ourselves (note-- samosas are a lot of work, I'm buying them frozen from now on). We had it on the Dream and it was great. Funny thing-- every day when husband and I would drop by to pick up something there'd be a bunch of Indian officers (mainly engineering) there getting food too. So we figured it had to be pretty good.

If you've never had Indian-- give it a try. It's a cruise. If you don't like it, you can get something else.

We eat a lot of Indian food, even try to make it ourselves (note-- samosas are a lot of work, I'm buying them frozen from now on). We had it on the Dream and it was great. Funny thing-- every day when husband and I would drop by to pick up something there'd be a bunch of Indian officers (mainly engineering) there getting food too. So we figured it had to be pretty good.

If you've never had Indian-- give it a try. It's a cruise. If you don't like it, you can get something else.

Thanks! I plan to try all the foods that are available that I've never had the guts to buy, because I can get something else if I don't like it very much. 55 days and counting down [emoji16]

I enjoyed the butter chicken, the Hummus and naan, the meatballs and the beef kabob. It was really good. If you are prone to seasickness and/or "stomach reactions to spice" I would stay away. For those who like trying new stuff, it was a fun place to explore.