Getaway Photo Review - Food Focus - Specialty Dining - Chef's Table - Viva Vino

megacruiser

Great review - thank you so much for the details! I love the format and the time you spent answering all of the questions. I can't wait for our trip now! 8 months is a long wait!

Sincere thanks for taking the time to comment.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Thanks for your review Megacruiser! I was wondering if you had a sense of the average age of the passengers in the studios. Is it a nice mix? Mostly younger/older? I don't want to be the only one over 40!

Thanks!

The average age was certainly over 40, with a few younger ones and equally quite a number of older folk. On my sailing I would guess the average age was about 50.

Kind regards

megacruiser

:o I know this is a dumb trivial question... but I'm wondering.. Getaway studio rooms are in a U shape hall now, rather that a long long long hallway like on the Epic... is the U shape open at both ends to a corridor... or do cabin occupants in the higher numbers have to travel the U to get to the lounge and exit ? :o

I was on Deck 10 which was ideal, as it was a short distance to the Studio Lounge from all studios. Sorry I did not checkout the layout on Deck 11.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Thank you Megacruiser for this phenomenal review! Your attention detail makes me feel like I cruised along side you. I can't wait to sail her now.

Laurie

How very kind of you to say so. Many thanks.

Kind regards

megacruiser

• 2 weeks later...
Absolutely Fantastic Photo Review with Outstanding Photos, Freestyle Daily, Menus, Bar menu, Wine List. :):):):)

Thank you kindly. My Quantum/Anthem review is now under way for those who are interested in what the competition has to offer...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2207428

Regards

megacruiser

time for lunch and it is always best to avoid the buffet on embarkation day. However a big bonus is that ncl, unlike royal caribbean and celebrity, do open one of the main dining rooms.

Lunch menu 1

menulunch1apps-7369_zps0f2483dc.jpg

menulunch1main-7371_zps862fa6b2.jpg

pho soup – pretty tasteless...

lunchmdrday1-_zps0392cdb3.jpg

crab salad with beets – delicious...

lunchmdrday1app-_zps2becdfbe.jpg

salmon burger – not bad and probably the best of a limited choice of mains...

lunchmdrday1main-_zpsdb7d16f2.jpg

key lime parfait – pretty much ok without being exciting...

lunchmdrday1pud-_zps22feea45.jpg

observant readers of my epic review will notice that what i ate is a repeat of what i had before. Same items, different photos. The menu really is pretty limited and is repeated too often.

i just came off of ncl star for a 14 day transatlantic and i had that exact menu in the dining room every second day. I dont know why they couldnt change it more often.

Following.

Thanks for posting such an interesting review, photos are very cool and makes me want to sail now instead of next month. It will be my first Cruise ever and also will be celebrating my B-day (50). My mom is coming along.

:) :D

Megacruiser you are a Megastar and a Megareviewer. I read lots of cruise reviews and yours is by far the most honest without in any way being offensive to the cruise industry or your cruise passengers. Bonus for me was learning some new words :D. Your words are elegant and your review extensive. I hope you know how much your fellow cruisers appreciate your commitment to this review. It is very helpful for our upcoming Breakaway cruise :cool:.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Fantastic review!!! thoroughly enjoyed it. Not sailing till Dec 2016 but gave me a great idea of the lay of the ship. I havent sailed NCL since 1996 on the SS Norway so this will be a huge change.

Hi Megacruiser,

I have read many excellent reviews over the years and enjoyed them. Your review of the Getaway with all the great pictures absolutely rocks. It is the best review I have ever read. All the best, Happy Travels.:)

i just came off of ncl star for a 14 day transatlantic and i had that exact menu in the dining room every second day. I dont know why they couldnt change it more often.

I suspect NCL are trying to push as many folk as possible towards self-service lunch; and the repetitive MDR food helps accomplish that...

I'm re-reading your review in preparation for my turn on the Getaway 8 days from now... Awesome review and pictures!...

Many thanks for your kind comment. I guess you are boarding soon. Enjoy!

Kind regards

megacruiser

Following.

Thanks for posting such an interesting review, photos are very cool and makes me want to sail now instead of next month. It will be my first Cruise ever and also will be celebrating my B-day (50). My mom is coming along.

:) :D

How kind of you. Your first cruise is always memorable and sets the benchmark against which your future cruising will be judged. Best plan carefully to fit it all in. There is just so much not to be missed. Have a great time.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Megacruiser you are a Megastar and a Megareviewer. I read lots of cruise reviews and yours is by far the most honest without in any way being offensive to the cruise industry or your cruise passengers. Bonus for me was learning some new words :D. Your words are elegant and your review extensive. I hope you know how much your fellow cruisers appreciate your commitment to this review. It is very helpful for our upcoming Breakaway cruise :cool:.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

What can I say other than thank you so much for your enthusiastic feedback. I do try to be honest and fair. Not sure it is always appreciated. Sometimes folk only want to hear the positives. Otherwise tumbleweed rolls languidly across the barren desert... :D

Kind regards

megacruiser

Fantastic review!!! thoroughly enjoyed it. Not sailing till Dec 2016 but gave me a great idea of the lay of the ship. I havent sailed NCL since 1996 on the SS Norway so this will be a huge change.

My first NCL cruise was on Norway in 1997. How wonderful was Club Internationale? Surely one of the best ever lounges at sea...

Many thanks for your kind feedback.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Hi Megacruiser,

I have read many excellent reviews over the years and enjoyed them. Your review of the Getaway with all the great pictures absolutely rocks. It is the best review I have ever read. All the best, Happy Travels.:)

Thank you so much. You made my day, if not my month... It really is good to hear when a review has been enjoyed. Thanks again.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Thank you for your excellent review. My family just booked Getaway for Sept and went looking for specialty restaurant info and found your review.

We choose the promo Beverage pkg as a booking perk and are now wondering about specialty dining. Do you have two must do reccomendations?

Thanks. Joy

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoy reading anything you post about any ship. I read allll your reviews and they are sooooo detail and amazing! I love that you take your time and post every little detail and picture that you feel others would love to read. I have been reading your post everyday at work for times here and there. So many post , so many response and I can't finish it all at once !!! THANK YOU SOO SOO much really!.. I stay up at night to read as much as I can before I fall asleep... our cruise is coming up in October... First on NCL and first for my kids and hubby. Can't wait to see what they think of cruising !! :D

Would you be kind enough to sent me the original picture of these two? Really want to know what they are serving on board.... Btw.. How were you able to take these pictures in the kitchen? They allow you in? If you are sending me the pictures please sent to Vicky.wylde@hotmail.com please!! Thank you!! Post # 442 first 2 pictures

ImageUploadedByForums1435279668.120846.jpg.03ce454a3b19b3b0d1b457593a310933.jpg

This is a really great review. I'm reading it well after you wrote it, but I've been considering Getaway for my daughter's first cruise and your review has been so helpful. Thanks for the time you took to write this!