Singapore and Hong Kong taxis

marylizcat

TJ & fellow CC from Aussie - while I continue to look at some options & alternatives, here's an important link & info about "The Peak" on top of Victoria Harbour, transport options - I recognized that the Peak Tram is popular, but trust me, the views on the way up and/or down is great, but nothing compared to what you can see on top around the hill's viewing "stations" - comfortable walking shoes are a must (needless to say, but just a reminder ;) ) http://www.hongkongextras.com/the-peak.html

Therefore, I recommend skipping the walk to the Tram station at the bottom of Admiralty near the US Consulate, and the long wait and buying tickets, etc. for that 10 minute ride, etc. Public transport in HK is efficient, reliable, fast & visitors friendly and inter-connect easily for transfers, free or at very reasonable fares compared to the USA & elsewhere - not all taxi drivers and PMB (mini-bus) are language proficient in English or speak it, show them the signage or destination and they can usually communicate & point you the way.

Thus, will someone in the group have cellular data coverage in HK for those 2 to 3 days - either from their "home" carrier as part of roaming or travel add-ons at reasonable rates. There are strong & fast WiFi coverage almost everywhere, inside the MTR stations and ON those underground trains continuously - many free and some for paid subscribers, etc. HK Tourism (official governmental) or the Tourism Assoication has an exclusive & cheap Visitors prepaid Sim card for easy activation, typically sold for 3 days and 7 days, with something like 1GB of data to start - easily refilled if gone over, and it's sold at many locations for $10 to $15 USD, free activations as it will provide you to on-the-spot map & directions, attractions info, bus & ferry schedules, airport info/flight status.

iPhone 5c/5s and iPhone 6/s/+ unlocked will get you good coverage with the local prepaid plans or allow you to roam on home carrier's partner from Aussie - confirm on international coverage first & enable it. Similarly, popular Android smartphones updated to 5.x and/or MM 6.0.1 will also do nicely. I'm 98.5% sure both Metropark has free & usable WiFi or data coverage for its registered guests - it's just needed while you are sightseeing for that 36 to 48+ hours. Please advise on your data needs - as I will lookup & link you, including whether it's sold inside the cruise terminal - where there is also foreign currency exchange services on "ship days" - at less than bank rates since they are rolling their fees into the convenience.

Since you are arriving on the QM2 later next month on (flying out too) a weekday - I am actually thinking you might want to re-price & re-book with Metropark Mong Kok instead, as the side entrance is almost around the corner from one of the MTR Station entrance/exit - and a block away from famous Nathan Road, and you have far more options for trains, bus routes, taxis and walking to shops & stores, 7-11 and McD's across the street and post office nearby, and - my favorite: same day return "wet" laundry across the street (we did about 15 or 20 lbs of washable items for about $6 USD not long ago, folded & ready to wear)

Both Metropark hotels, I should note, cater to lots of mainland Chinese tourists booked in groups - staff are multi-lingual, and taxi stand is around the corner - plus, there are "for-hire" passenger/cargo vans that do cross-border (China) trips, which I'm pretty sure will be happy to take your group with luggage to the airport at reasonable prices, comparable to taxi rates - and should you wish to Uber it (which I am not endorsing or recommending, as it is operating in the "gray" areas of local laws & insurance coverage) - very easy to "flag" one. Last time we returned to HKG, we stayed there and 3 of us with three 25" luggage & cabin bags opted to take a taxi direct on our flight home to JFK in New York - instead of dealing with a taxi to the Kowloon Airport Express Station & then the AE to the airport, etc. Total with tipping came under $50 USD for 3 people, luggage & tolls, tipping above the "loose change" for the driver - hotel side exit/taxi stand to airport terminal dropoff in about 45 minutes ... getting an above ground scenic look on the "highway" of the suburban towns & cities of :eek: :D skyscrappers (a/k/a concrete jungle of 50 stories residential "flats" or buildings)

The walk to Ladies Market would be about the same as MP Kowloon.

*** Yes, good for everyone if you can get some HKD before leaving home - just pool & share among the group & work them out later. Have enough for the group to buy the Octopus card, which locally works like a bank "Debit Card" for small purchases. Use it to directly pay for - with a quick swipe - quick meals at McD's and KFC, bakery chain-stores inside MTR stations, 7-11's, in addition to local Chinese "fast food outlets" everywhere for hot meals of rice, noodles & coffee/tea/breakfast, etc. as you said. For "foreigners" visiting HK, the Octopus card make it easy to do things and for fine dining, credit cards are accepted almost everywhere (just alert your bank ahead of your travel plans)

If cancelling MP Kowloon & switching to MP Mong Kok is a pain, don't sweat it - the taxi fares from the KTCT to your hotel is probably under $100 HKD or about $13 USD, the alternate option might be just $10 or $15 HKD higher - all regulated metered fares as shown inside & they are obligated by law to give you a printed receipt, payable in local currency only (most do not, however, accept credit cards ... some with installed terminal will claim it's offline or not working)

The greatest challenge is getting into a taxi or alternate transport to your hotel of choice - the rest is easy. If you wait till 9 AM or 9:30 AM while those with flights rushed to get off - which is very kind & considerate of, kudo !! - I can't imagine spending 3 more hours waiting for transportation. But, let me do some more fact-checking since we got relatives over there & see what else they have info-tips on to share.

Suffice to say, it should take only 15 to 20 minutes to get to your hotel, store the luggage as it might be too early to be allowed to do check-in to your rooms (I should note, also, that the standard or regular rooms at both hotels are NOT large, they are typical for HK and small by USA & probably Aussie standards or expectations) - everything is efficient, compact & well-designed, just not a lot of room to stretch out, with small closet & functional baths, etc. ... in many ways, feel like being on a cruise ship again.

Here's the outline as I'm still working on details -

Hotel - walk to bus stop or MTR station, above ground-tunnel bus to Causeway Bay, transfer for bus or PMB to Aberdeen (thru the mountain tunnel - quickest) ... with a lunch stop somewhere.

Aberdeen to Central by PMB (faster) or bus, then Bus 15/C for a scenic ride up to the Peak in about 30 minutes (You can easily spend that much time just getting over to the Tram stations, lines for tickets & wait for boarding, etc.) - checkout the Peak - when finished, walk 5 minutes down to the bus terminal & catch the PMB downhill, quick ride as the group will fill most of the seats up fast - in about 20 minutes down to Central MTR, then, explore that area a bit - walk toward the harbour to Star Ferry (past the Hong Kong Airport Express station) - ride across the harbor & end up in TST, depending on timing - do dinner first before the 8 PM laser show.

Then, ride the bus heading north on Nathan Road & get off at Mong Kok & walk 2 blocks east to Ladies Market, around 9 PM or so. Lastly, back to the hotel & claim your luggage from the bellhop & finish checking-in and a hot shower in your room before retiring for the night. Optionally, walk back in the other direction to checkout Temple Street's Night Market (beware of street food that look & smell good, but not advised to avoid issues with stomach viruses, etc.)

That will leave the whole group plenty of time for a full day #2 to see and do other things - I'm not even sure if you need to do the Hop-On & Off bus thing, just take the MTR or just ride the buses above ground, with all the shops & restaurants, maybe the good old electric trains on the island in the afternoon ... after Chi Lin & gardens in the morning, etc.

One of the major bus operators - very useful interactive route search / planner tool - mobile friend on devices. http://www.nwstbus.com.hk/routes/index.aspx?intLangID=1

PMB info - http://hketransport.gov.hk/?routetype=2001&f=2&l=1

For those leaving on a 2:50 PM flight, you should be fine leaving around 11:30 AM from the hotel, depending on your mode of transport - business travelers like the Airport Express, but not necessary fun with "medium" sized luggages & bags in tow & elderly cruisers in your group, as it will involve some elevators, escalators & steps - taxi will cost a little more (or Uber, etc.) but door to door, well worth the slightly higher costs - as it will fit 3 people & reasonable luggage for 3 per vehicle. Exit immigration/border check & customs, after security screening are fast & efficient - and, you should be able to do mobile/online airline check-in ahead of time on most carriers - bag drops at the airline counters are usually easy & fast.

They can also checkout of the hotel early, go to the Kowloon Airport Express station & do the check-in there, drop the luggages off to be transferred to your departing flights directly, leaving you time in the morning to sightsee nearby places - return to AE by noon for that 25+ minutes qucik ride to Chep Lap Kok Airport & proceed to security directly, with plenty of time to spare & relax. BTW, airport has plenty of good dining options & yes, free WiFi everywhere.

Thoughts ?

My thoughts - BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have no idea how much I appreciate your help here.

In regard to the data query etc, I am afraid you have already lost me.

We are all quite ignorant in regard to computers/phones however I do know as part of our hotel package we are provided with free mobile phones and wifi so I guess perhaps they might work for the purpose you suggested but I have no idea about that.

My grandaughter aged 10 just hangs her head with hands over both sides and says "oh granny you are sooo old" when I ask a computer/phone related question.

I do have a nokia lumia phone which I love but talking apps is beyond me.

We will definately take on your suggestions for sight seeing and all the practical advise is just so helpful. Skipping the tram to the peak is fine, just as long as we get up there it doesn't matter how.

Our ages is 60 through to late 70s so not spring chickens and various physical abilities so easiest way to get from A to B and those wanting to go off hiking to other places can do so while us lazy ones sit and have a coffee and enjoy the scenery. That's why we love cruising so much, everyone can do their own thing.

Once again thank you for your advise in all things Hong Kong.!!

Nokia Lumia phone should be fine, check with your home carrier that it is unlocked to be used abroad (in Hong Kong, specifically) by changing to a local prepaid Sim card, if necessary. It has WiFi and will work at many of HK's free public WiFi hotspot for location, directions & transport options if you aren't sure. You are on CC so your basic computing or keyboarding skills are fine, don't worry about it, age-wise: not far behind you maturing over the years in the good old IBM Selectric typewriter eras & managed to keep up. Hotel providing its guests with free use of mobile phones locally is a definite bonus & helpful for tourism purposes - I know the upscale ($$$) ones do it in town but cool for the Metropark group, nice.

Here's a quick overview of what the Airport Express train ride is like and the streets of HK island, to the lower Peak Tram station with the long lines, typically daily - packed with tourists (locals don't ride it, obviously - at about $10 USD per person per ride, not cheap - 2 people can take a comfortable taxi ride for about the same costs, with a very generous tipping left for the driver & money for a cup of coffee at McDonalds (or Starbucks) inside the (upper) Peak Tram/Tower shopping & visitors complex. By the time, you make your way from a MTR station or get off at the nearest bus stop, join the line to buy your ticket & then line up to board these 100+ years old tram, the #15C bus or taxi/public mini bus would have you on top of Victoria Peak already.

This one gives you an idea of walking from the MTR station stop at "Central" exit J2 (each station has multiple exits - follow the signs after checking the huge maps posted inside these huge underground complexes, as it serve as direct bypass - sometimes for 2 or 3 blocks - especially given HK's hot & humid weather, it's all air-conditioned & well ventilated - lots of steps & escalators, elevators are sometimes out of the way.

Here's the #15C bus ride (upper deck of double decker air conditioned bus, open top deck bus service discontinued) from Central's Star Ferry bus/pier terminal, also nearest to the Hong Kong Airport Express train station - via the hear of "Central" business districts & government complexes with the colonial buildings - shadowed by all the skyscrappers on its way via Garden Road (and the Peak Tram station, if I am not mistaken) and up the winding & scenic road with some amazing views of the city below as you "climb" uphill) to reach the Victoria Peak/upper Peak Tram - being the last stop at the bus/transport terminal - where you will also find a taxi stand and the PMB that leave there for Central or Causeway Bay MTR (Octopus Card accepted - just like cash, in "exact" change (or, no change given as it's dropped into a fare box) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Kf3801fHM

Here's a scenic ride downhill from Victoria Peak/upper Tram station terminal, including the covered bus station area, showing you the boarding process - if you wanted to take it instead of the slightly faster PMB down to Central MTR, depending on your timing - #15C route is perfect if you wanted to ride the short Star Ferry ride across the harbour, on a clear day - this side of HK island is on reclaimed landfills, about 1/4 to 1/2 mile into the waters as it used to be much, much further inland - when the ferry & piers were actually connected to "real" land then ... 40+ years ago.

Still waiting for updates on the latest feedback on how the KTCT is handling taxis & transport for several thousands pax on ship dates lately - here's a virtual view of what it is like to ride in a car leaving the port into town .... 10 minutes passing thru mostly construction areas & warehouses, etc. (as you are on what was once the old airport runway/taxiway in the Kowloon Bay waterfront - via a bypass bridge shortcut into the nearest "satellite" city of mixed use commercial & residential area, of 30 to 50+ stories high rises, as it you are already in the big city, but you are not. Toward the end of this video, you begin to see people & more residential tall buildings, numerous elevated roadways & highway interchanges - still another 5 to 10 minutes to Waterloo Road for your Metropark hotel or toward Nathan Road & Lai Chi Kok Road for Metropark Mong Kok. After you view this, I think it should give you some ideas as to why even on known ship days, there's a shortage of taxi coming into the terminal to line up & wait for a fare ... it's in the middle of nowhere. One of the latest idea is to built an electric tram (sort of automated people moving system, similar to those in major airports around the world with remote/satellite terminals - to allow folks to connect

more easily to transit or transport hub.

As for what's available / open inside the cruise terminal, shops & restaurants would open earlier than "normal" for extra business, otherwise - not opening till 12 noon. Foreign currency exchange services is open and there are bank ATM's for visitors, but the Octopus Card - apparently - isn't sold there (so, you will need to do that at a MTR station in town afterward)

Metropark Kowloon - walking tour to Ladies Market & Mong Kok MTR station -

This is typical hotel room at MP (actually larger than those we stayed in)

Tourism promo video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPhofCUW_3Q

Metropark Mong Kok to Prince Edward MTR station nearby

Ladies Market -

Thank you again for all your help in assisting us. I have forwarded the info to others in our group so they know that we are following info provided by someone who knows HK. I found those videos increased my excitement of visiting HK immensely.

Edited by Tara Jane

• 1 month later...
I am looking at a flight that lands in Singapore at 1:40AM. Does anyone know if taxis are normally available at that hour or should I book a car service to be safe? Thanks so much!

Helen

No problem getting a taxi at anytime in Singapore. It's a very busy airport.