First time in Boston

Driftwoodgal

We are on the TA from Harwich to Boston in Sept 2015. Wondering is the foilage will be changing then?

We are arrive on Sept 18 on the Brilliance and then leave at 5:00 PM on Sept 21.

Would love suggestions on how to do a whirlwind tour of the city and see most of the sights in that time frame. What are you must see things?

Would love suggestions for a hotel. Have only used Priceline once in my life but willing to give it a try.

Thanks for your help.

Will return the favor if you make it to Austin. ;)

We are on the TA from Harwich to Boston in Sept 2015. Wondering is the foilage will be changing then?

We are arrive on Sept 18 on the Brilliance and then leave at 5:00 PM on Sept 21.

Would love suggestions on how to do a whirlwind tour of the city and see most of the sights in that time frame. What are you must see things?

Would love suggestions for a hotel. Have only used Priceline once in my life but willing to give it a try.

Thanks for your help.

Will return the favor if you make it to Austin. ;)

Unfortunately it's really too early for foliage changes.

Most folks enjoy the Hoho trolley to access the Freedom trail sites and explore Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, the North End, Charlestown and the Boston Common. Harvard Square is a short ride on the T. Some Hoho tickets offer a cruise of Boston Harbor.

For your dates there is currently a 4.5* Back Bay hotel for $199 plus tax on Hotwire. This will be a very nice hotel located in an area with lots of restaurants and indoor shopping in the evening - Copley place and the Prudential shops. The trolleys pick up in this area and there is good T transportation.

I am so sorry you guys are having such horrible weather. I know we haven't had anything like you guys have had, but the high for us was 34 with sleet etc. I have peach trees blooming it is supposed to be spring.

We have decided that we are just going to run out of money after doing Ireland, London and then the 15 day cruise back on the Brilliance.

We are now wanting to just fly back home the day we return on Sept 18. Can you give me a really good estimate how much time we should allow befor booking a flight home? The ship docks at 6 AM.

We are Diamond Plus on RCL so we should be able to get off soon after the excursions etc.

When I did this cruise we did arrive at 6 am and the disembarkation was easy. I wasn't in a hurry and I was giving two friends with an 11 am train a ride to South Station, so I had my husband pick me us about 9:15.

What times are your flight choices? The airport is very close and should not have any traffic issues.

Edited by 138east

1:05 would be fine. You can just take a cab to the airport - about $25-30. It's just across the harbor through the tunnel.

I had a great time on the Quantum. I had a geat deal on a solo balcony. I did all the activities I could. However as a solo traveler I probably wouldn't do it again unless I knew people on the sailing (which I did this time) and got a good price. I just feel more comfortable on the radiance and voyager class ships.

I loved the Brilliance TA. After changing my cabin 5 times I took a guarantee and ended up in an inside on deck 2 which I loved. Easy access to all the centrum activities. I already knew some folks and met a lot more on the port excursions. It was a more relaxed atmosphere on sea days.

Carol,

Thanks for the airport tips, flights have been changed. Gotta love Southwest they make it so easy.

We too love the smaller ships, but loved the Allure too. We have 9092 booked which is near the centrum. Thought about an aft, my favorite, but wanted the wind block for the TA.

Curious what you did at the faroe islands and Halifax? Have things planned already in the other ports just those two left.

Carol,

Thanks for the airport tips, flights have been changed. Gotta love Southwest they make it so easy.

We too love the smaller ships, but loved the Allure too. We have 9092 booked which is near the centrum. Thought about an aft, my favorite, but wanted the wind block for the TA.

Curious what you did at the faroe islands and Halifax? Have things planned already in the other ports just those two left.

Our cruise did not stop at Halifax. I loved the Faroe Islands - a really unique place. I did a private tour which went all over with a prearranged "local" lunch at a hotel.

Unfortunately it's really too early for foliage changes.

Most folks enjoy the Hoho trolley to access the Freedom trail sites and explore Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, the North End, Charlestown and the Boston Common. Harvard Square is a short ride on the T. Some Hoho tickets offer a cruise of Boston Harbor.

For your dates there is currently a 4.5* Back Bay hotel for $199 plus tax on Hotwire. This will be a very nice hotel located in an area with lots of restaurants and indoor shopping in the evening - Copley place and the Prudential shops. The trolleys pick up in this area and there is good T transportation.

Just noticed a hotel in Charleston area 3 star for $178 plus tax. How is this area for access to the cruise terminal? This sounds like a good price...how's the location?

Carol,

I hope you don't mind my chiming in! I am following Boston threads since we will be there again in October! ;)

I just wanted to give you some advice about Halifax. It is a beautiful city with a very rich history. There are many companies that will give you tours of the city, but we struck gold with "Paul"! He even took us to a small fishing village for lunch -- where the locals go, but not on any tour company's roster! :D

If you want to investigate the tour, you should find it on Tripadvisor and Facebook under "Halifax Titanic Historical Tours - Private Tours". I'm sure there are other wonderful tour operators in Halifax, but I can 100% recommend Paul! :)

OK, now back to Boston........... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

There are plenty of taxis available at Black Falcon Cruise Terminal when you disembark. For those going to Logan Airport from the ship, do not be surprised when the taxi driver charges you toll for the Ted Williams Tunnel. They are permitted to charge the rider.

• 1 month later...
The SL2 stops right on the street in front of the terminal. 1/2 block at most depending on where you exit the terminal. The stop is across the street to the left.

Thanks sounds like the thing to do, I love Boston's T

• 1 month later...
Where can we buy a 7-day-pass on a Charlie Ticket for the MBTA? At the SL2 stop close to the pier, on board the SL2?

My understanding us that a 7 day Charlie Ticket can only be purchased from a fare vending machine.

I'm not aware of any fare vending machines near the Black Falcon SL2 stop. You cannot buy them on the SL2. That means that from Black Falcon Terminal you are going to have to pay full fare.

Please post what your destination would be from Black Falcon and the day of the week you would be doing this. Chances are that your destination station would have a fare vending machine, but some places like South Station may be better than others to buy a 7 day ticket.

My understanding us that a 7 day Charlie Ticket can only be purchased from a fare vending machine.

I'm not aware of any fare vending machines near the Black Falcon SL2 stop. You cannot buy them on the SL2. That means that from Black Falcon Terminal you are going to have to pay full fare.

Please post what your destination would be from Black Falcon and the day of the week you would be doing this. Chances are that your destination station would have a fare vending machine, but some places like South Station may be better than others to buy a 7 day ticket.

That's what I was afraid of...... and the information on the MBTA website wasn't clear to me.

We'll be heading towards Prudential on a Friday.

That's what I was afraid of...... and the information on the MBTA website wasn't clear to me.

We'll be heading towards Prudential on a Friday.

If you have luggage, I'd consider getting off the SL2 at South Station and purchasing your Charlie Ticket Pass there and taking the commuter rail to the Back Bay Station. This is included in the 7 day pass. This will be a much more accessible route than taking the red line to Park St and transferring to the green line to Back Bay. However check the various outbound train schedules to see if they suit because the commuter trains don't run as often as the subway trains.