Istanbul. I Shall Report Back.

Istanbul was fantastic. We stayed at the Erguvan Hotel pre-cruise and found the manager's advice very helpful. He found us restaurants that would allow us to try different cuisines and all of them were excellent. He also told us to exchange our currency in the Grand Bazaar as that is where you get the best exchange rate as long as you go into the middle of the bazaar. We found the rates nearby or at the edge of the bazaar not to be as good as the ones in the centre.

We did our own touring when we arrived as we did a land tour of Turkey after we got back from the cruise. We noted what we were going to see on the tour and then managed to find several other sites that we wanted to see on our own. The Turkish people were so friendly and we had a couple that walked us to the destination we wanted to see. They just wanted to practice their English and no we didn't get hounded to go into their shops. Guess I am really good at saying no politely and emphatically.

I didn't shop in either the Grand Bazaar or the Spice Bazaar. I found better prices outside both of them. At the end of the cruise we stayed at Radisson Blu Sisli and the shopping centre close by had delicious Turkish Delight and it was way more reasonable than the old town. We tended to pick restaurants in this area by how many locals were eating there and all the food was excellent and reasonable.

On our tour, we found the cost of lunch varied from $8 US to $18. Dinner was not that much more expensive. All the locals we met were very friendly and helpful. Would I recommend a trip to Turkey. Oh yes. Mind you I now have too many places to visit on my bucket list before I will return but one of these days I will return to this very vibrant and beautiful city.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Let us all know here 'Wuzzup' when you return. We used an UrbanAdventures etc. walking guides to steer us handily around the city backstreets in 'No Worries' fashion. Methinks it may not only be more fun but now a prudent thing as well. What a great city. Locomotiveman Tom

September was my third time visiting Istanbul --the first time was a week after 9/11. I love Istanbul and we usually wander around on our own. This last trip we did take a walking tour with friends -- not because we were concerned about being on our own but because it was a special food tour by Culinary Backstreets -- Secrets of the Bazaar Quarter ( wonderful and delicious). My tentative plan for next June is to take another one of their food tours -- likely their "Two Continents" tour -- and not because of concerns about going around on my own. Istanbul is one of my favorite cities.

Hi Tom - we are going on Oceania in May, and so far they are still going to Istanbul. I sure hope they don't cancel it as it was the main reason I booked that cruise.

I sure hope that your stop in Istanbul is not cancelled. On our 2013 Med cruise, Istanbul was the only reason that we booked this particular cruise (no one in my family group, with the exception of myself, had ever been - they all loved Istanbul). I would have been devastated had it been cancelled! :eek:

It is truly a tough call to say whether or not a location such as Istanbul is as safe as strolling down a street in London or Chicago or Budapest. As of Fall 2015 my sense is that yes, it is safe. Remindful to note that in July of 410/AD Rome was considered safe too, but August 24th, 410 changed all that. Locomotiveman Tom

• 1 month later...

My 1-day Istanbul 'Must Experience' would be hearing Moslem 'Call to Prayers' echoing from the minarets while walking in front of the Blue Mosque; followed by a ride across the Bosphorus on a Ferry after buying a box of Turkish Delight candy in the Grand Bazaar would do it for me if I only had 8/hrs. You could definitely say, "Been there, dun it". Locomotiveman Tom

• 2 months later...
I was in Istanbul for a few days in September after five days in Cappadocia. I will be back there in early June for two days before a Seabourn cruise. I had no concerns in September and am not concerned about returning.

Looking forward to an 'I Shall Report Back' from you when you return. Locomotiveman Tom