Istanbul. I Shall Report Back.

Hi Tom, it's your new "painted steps/cones, Maiden's Tower, photography" friend. I haven't gotten very far along on my Istanbul planning (cruise isn't until Fall) but I just looked briefly at the Urban Adventures tour and have a couple questions. We will have two days (not including 2/3 day while there on the cruise ship, with an included visit to a mosque & a boat trip up the Bosphorus) to cram in what we want to see in Istanbul. I'm considering the tour you took, but after looking briefly at the description online against what you saw, I'm not sure how much we'd see using the guide and how much we would need to do on our own. We don't HAVE to see the Blue Mosque, Topkapi, and some other things that most people want to see, but we DO want to see the Cistern, go through at least a little of the Bazaar and Spice Market, take a ferry to the Asian side, explore a little in Beyoglu/Taksim, take the Tunel and a tram, visit the fish boats on the water, and stuff like that. We may want to go to an outdoor nargile cafe just out of curiosity. I wanted to see painted steps and cones, too, although I gather that will be easy the day/evening of the cruise before we wake up the next day and go off on our own. We're staying in Sultanahmet.

You mention that the guide had admission tickets, but was this to Blue Mosque, Tunel, ferry/tram tickets, or what? (What were "the biggies" in other words?) I'm just trying to figure out how long lines might be at the main attractions in Sultanahmet (Cistern etc.), for ferries, etc. - although I'm sure it depends upon season, weather, etc. Also, about how much was a typical dinner you had in Istanbul (if you ate dinner after all that sampling on your culinary escapade!) Urban offers a dinner with locals, walk, bar, etc. evening that might be different if nothing else, and that lead me to wonder just how much a dinner in Istanbul (probably Sultanahmet) would cost us without anything else. Also, about when do the restaurants serve dinner - not as late as in some parts of Europe, I hope?

Thanks for your wonderful insight on Istanbul! It will be helpful to many cruisers! Hope the rest of your travels were great.

Ruth and super-grover, Very good points you brought up regarding tailoring the day for very specific needs and itineraries. BTW...when I said 'The Tourist Biggies' I meant the Big 6; The Blue Mosque, Cisterns, Chorra, Topkapi Palaces, Ayasofya, and Hippodrome area. Re-Reading 4774Pappa's Posts brought up some very relevant issues and suggestions for eating etc...he did a great job explaining his days in Istanbul, his lengthy Post is great. Ruth, you might do just fine with UrbanAdventure's 'Istanbul Conquered' walking tour which includes the Grand Bazaar/Spice Market etc...then head off on your own til evening, because you are staying in Sultanahmet as did we. Drop me a line at thsteinman at Gee Mail DOT Com and I could kick it around a bit more with you. Personalized all-day walking tours are quite available...if you wanna $pay$. I may have some info.

From what I saw and heard in Istanbul from some other tourists and locals it went sorta like this:

Turkish language is not spoken by many other cultures....thus the 'Walk around in the BIGGIE museums and whatnot with the recorded message and earbuds' thingie are very popular at those sites once you actually GET to those sites by walking or taking a Tour Bus, Metro/Taxi. But THEN what...what to eat and where's a bathroom once you head out for the rest of the day of independent quirky snooping?? etc. We needed more to make it a full and fun day. My wife shops.....I take 100's of Pix.

There were tons of Mini-bus (or larger) group Tours with Hotel pickup with an English speaking person with a little flag on a stick to mother-hen people around the usual famous BIGGIE places, then back to the Hotel after a potty stop. Nice if you can tolerate that. I can't.

Of course, there is the '...I want to roam at will with a map, even chance wasting time or getting lost, because I don't care' approach that can work just fine for backpackers etc., like I used to be. It's cheap and great if time isn't an issue. A Rick Steve's Guide etc.can be immensely helpful for a great DIY day. I'll might do that next time, but I was new to Istanbul. We needed to gab with somebody local while we walked Istanbul, as we had a lotta questions, plus, I wasn't up for slumming or getting lost this time.

Then there's what we did with Urban Adventures etc. I don't mind forking over a little $green$ to some local person who will explain to me what I am looking at and point me to little things of local interest. Somebody who will understand when I say, "No more looking up at Old Things...I need some Raki, hookah-time etc etc." My wife is A-OK with that. In a perfect world, if I would've had my son's Istanbul acquaintence's Ph# I woulda gave him a call.

So... 'Middle-men' organizers like UrbanAdventures or CulinaryBackstreets do a great job of filling the needs of people like me. They WILL alter their itinerary slightly, but what if you are grouped with coupla strangers who disagree with that idea? Tough luck...I guess. We headed out on our own til dark after our walking tours ended.That worked for us to make for a full day. There IS after-dark walking tours too...intriquing, but we were too tired.

What else is left comes down to this, in my opinion: Contact a reputable Tour Guide somehow on the Internet and tell them what you are interested in, or blend a little of each of what I just kicked around. It's quite a city for walkin' n gawkin'. Locomotiveman Tom

We saw more of the real Istanbul because of our guide. He took us on the ferry, trams, etc. he bought all the tickets in advance so no waiting in long lines. He knew the time of the demonstrations so we visited that area before the demonstrations began.

Granny DI, which tour company did you use?

• 3 weeks later...

A taxi called by ones Hotel in Istanbul is a quite sensible thing to do. I managed just fine all on our lonesome in Apr of 2015. Later, I had our Hotel do the calling. By having someone fluent with the language and with a vested interest in 'Pleasing the Customer', it seems to me it is one more little aggravation easily removed by your Hotel staff. I say this after talking to fellow Tourists who $Paid$ no more for letting the Hotel arrange for their Taxi to/from the Ataturk Airport. Locomotiveman Tom

• 1 month later...

We just finished our wonderful 5 day stay in Istanbul!! Loved it. We stayed at Hotel Amira in the Sultanahmet, which I highly recommend. Probably the best overall hotel stay I've had location is awesome, staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. The rooms are good, spacious for European standard and well kept, but it is really the service here that stands out!

Thank you for your review. Loved the comments on your stay in Istanbul. I was there in the 60's and wandered around the city with a few friends on many weekends. Dw and I are going back later this year for a 4 night stay before an Aegean cruise. Now more excited than ever!

We just finished our wonderful 5 day stay in Istanbul!! Loved it. We stayed at Hotel Amira in the Sultanahmet, which I highly recommend. Probably the best overall hotel stay I've had location is awesome, staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. The rooms are good, spacious for European standard and well kept, but it is really the service here that stands out!

Thank you for the review, that's great news, as we will be staying there 3 days pre-cruise in August. Did you book any excursions thru the hotel ?:)

Maudie, we didn't because I had rebooked a private tour guide for my family, but I wish I had booked through the hotel. Our tour guide was excellent so we had no discontent with our tour experience, but the private tour that I could have arranged through the hotel would have been much cheaper as it turns out. Every other recommendation or service we used the hotel for was excellent so I have no reason to think the tour they arranged would not have also been great.

Maudie, we didn't because I had rebooked a private tour guide for my family, but I wish I had booked through the hotel. Our tour guide was excellent so we had no discontent with our tour experience, but the private tour that I could have arranged through the hotel would have been much cheaper as it turns out. Every other recommendation or service we used the hotel for was excellent so I have no reason to think the tour they arranged would not have also been great.

Thank you Parker6, much appreciated!!! :) :) Will consider their tours and do some DIY's too :)

We also stayed at the Hotel Amira for four nights in late May. We agree with all of parker6's comments. We have never experiences the level of service and hospitality that we received at this hotel.

Like several of you, we had prearranged our tours so we did not book any tours or guides thru the hotel. We were very happy with our tours, so don't think we would change that. We did arrange a pick up from our ship to the hotel and from the hotel to the airport and we were very happy with those services.

• 4 weeks later...

Istanbul's Cruise Ship Pier is being Rebuilt slightly further North. YouTube has an excellent 1st hand Video of it named, 'Istanbul Turkey Sali Pazari Pier Walking'. It shows the 2015 progress of how the Re-model is going. It was filmed by a disembarking passenger. Worth a look for those who like to get our bearings WITHOUT big surprises. Has short clip of TAXI $Fare$ sign to all the various Sites. Locomotiveman Tom

I'm hoping someone will know the answer to these questions:

I've read, and video confirms it, that there is at least one gate at the Sali Pazari gate that is used for only exiting the port area, not entering it. When you come back, where do you have to enter? Is it reached by leaving the street closer to the Findliki tram stop or the Tophane stop? I'm just wondering which stop to come back to, although I know they're both fairly about a ten minute walk from the ship (I think). Also, about how many ships can dock in Istanbul at once? The video was great for giving me an idea of walking distances, directions, etc. but I'm also (kind of) wondering if things will look different for us if we're docked slightly farther along the water at Sali Pazari.

I'm hoping someone will know the answer to these questions:

I've read, and video confirms it, that there is at least one gate at the Sali Pazari gate that is used for only exiting the port area, not entering it. When you come back, where do you have to enter? Is it reached by leaving the street closer to the Findliki tram stop or the Tophane stop? I'm just wondering which stop to come back to, although I know they're both fairly about a ten minute walk from the ship (I think). Also, about how many ships can dock in Istanbul at once? The video was great for giving me an idea of walking distances, directions, etc. but I'm also (kind of) wondering if things will look different for us if we're docked slightly farther along the water at Sali Pazari.

Hi again, Ruth. I would say, 'Follow the Arrows'. As I saw it 1st hand in April, the barriers and fences along the Blvd. were to keep Passengers from getting into harms way of construction, thus the 1-WAY in and 1-WAY out barricades. It was generic fenced 'Crowd Control' that is slightly different depending on which Quay your ship is docked at. I don't presume to know THAT kind of info. as that will certainly change as work progresses. Kind of a mess, similar to Civitavecchia,Italy...but nothing chaotic. Locomotiveman Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Then there's what we did with Urban Adventures etc. I don't mind forking over a little $green$ to some local person who will explain to me what I am looking at and point me to little things of local interest. Somebody who will understand when I say, "No more looking up at Old Things...I need some Raki, hookah-time etc etc." My wife is A-OK with that. In a perfect world, if I would've had my son's Istanbul acquaintence's Ph# I woulda gave him a call.

So... 'Middle-men' organizers like UrbanAdventures or CulinaryBackstreets do a great job of filling the needs of people like me. They WILL alter their itinerary slightly, but what if you are grouped with coupla strangers who disagree with that idea? Tough luck...I guess. We headed out on our own til dark after our walking tours ended.That worked for us to make for a full day. There IS after-dark walking tours too...intriquing, but we were too tired.

Hi Locomotiveman

When you use UrbanAdventures in Istanbul, which tours did you go on?

Thanks

Garf1108

Garf1108, Hi. Do read clear down thru my 'I Shall Report Back' Post for much of what we did in Istanbul in early April 2015. We walked the 'Istanbul Conquered' walking tour with UrbanAdventures. Not tightly structured, yet purposeful. Great food, many of the major sites plus interesting side-trips made it a quite fun day. Couldn't have done it better on our own. I'd give it 5-stars. Locomotiveman Tom

Hi guy. ISTANBUL CONQUERED was our UrbanAdventures Walking Tour for about $75/USD p/p ?? We met him about 5/Blks from our Hotel...near the Sultanahmet Metro stop.

A PLUS, which I never realized til we got going, was that our walking guide had the tickets for the 'BIGGIE' sites ahead of time. We basically walked right in while most tourists waited in lines, which woulda just killed our day. We 3 saw what we wanted to..and that was cool with Iskender US, our guide dude. "...No more guilded ceilings, Isk, let's roll", so we talked about the darnest things instead. As we were game for the non-typical, he didn't follow a strict set piece routine; he took us where WE wanted to go within the general area of Old Istanbul's Sultanahmet area and the tour's basic intinerary, so I tipped him $10/USD. A great sit-down lunch and a wander thru the Grand Bazaar was included too, a well-rounded day indeed. Locomotiveman Tom

Thanks for the great posting and description of your tour. I had been in the camp of "do it yourself" but the fact that the guide will have tickets to all of the major sites is a definite tipping point. Again, thanks for the great info!

Cadoocrazy,

Great!! I often let a 'Local person' get me off the beaten track..even in New York City. Istanbul makes it tough for me because I can't understand Turkish print or speech, so we learned a TON of quirky backstreet stuff with UrbanAdventures. Locomotiveman Tom

Cadoocrazy,

Great!! I often let a 'Local person' get me off the beaten track..even in New York City. Istanbul makes it tough for me because I can't understand Turkish print or speech, so we learned a TON of quirky backstreet stuff with UrbanAdventures. Locomotiveman Tom

Tom,

Since you recently went on Istanbul tour, can you share acceptable dress code for women. Will be there next week & want to make sure I pack well. Thx.

Paradiselivin1,

Young teenagers in Istanbul dress mostly like in any Western country. HOWEVER, women need to have a scarf on when entering certain Mosques as a tourist. Guys need to have long pants...women too. (They provide plastic hoodies and whatnot at the doorways...but they look awful.) Off the beaten track tank-tops, flip-flops and shorts would probably get a "tsk-tsk..." from the locals. The Bazaars/streets have maybe 25% of locals dressed in robed Islamic garb and headwear...the rest mostly in conservative Western garb. So....wear blouses that cover the shoulders, buy a nice Scarf in a market, and wear slacks n walking shoes and you'll be good. Or don a robe with head-wrap. Bring TP for bathroom duties..sez my wife. Locomotiveman Tom