Imagination vs Inspiration

united4life

I'm thinking about a short cruise on one of these ships in October. Has anyone cruised either lately and how was your experience. I do realize these are older ships but we are looking to have a nice getaway away from the kids. We are not big partiers just a bit concerned these maybe party cruises as they are only 4 days.

I've been on the Imagination several times this year and have noticed more families than big party animals. Especially on the 4 day cruise.

The ship is in very good shape and the crew members are really good. Enjoy!

And those I've talked to who have been on both ships say they are pretty similar with a slight edge given to the Imagination.

Edited by Sillyjilly

The 4-day cruises are definitely the better choice over the 3-day if you want to avoid the "party" crowd. For the 4-day cruises, the Imagination sails on a Sunday and the Inspiration sails on a Monday. I have been on both ships, although I have only been on the Imagination once - but I am sailing on her again in April. The only significant difference that I noticed was the Imagination has the American Table menu in the MDR and the Inspiration doesn't. That could change at any time though.

Honestly, they are both pretty much the same ship. If you are taking a week off work to sail, then maybe sailing on a Sunday would be a good choice, then you get Friday, Saturday and Sunday off after the cruise before you have to go back to work ;-)

The 4-day cruises are definitely the better choice over the 3-day if you want to avoid the "party" crowd. For the 4-day cruises, the Imagination sails on a Sunday and the Inspiration sails on a Monday. I have been on both ships, although I have only been on the Imagination once - but I am sailing on her again in April. The only significant difference that I noticed was the Imagination has the American Table menu in the MDR and the Inspiration doesn't. That could change at any time though.

)

They both have the American Table Menu.

Inspiration has tablecloths, a smaller, single page menu and only the outer edges of the forward MDR are ATD. Imagination has the 'wood' tables, a trifold menu and the whole forward MDR is ATD. (The format is different, the food is the same).

We Sailed on the Imagination in December, and on the Inspiration in January and February.

The Imagination Buffet is prettier with blue circles in H-bars. Inspiration's buffet is the underside of Ursula's skirt. [emoji33]

Both have the newer, horrible bathroom vanity set up

I'm looking forward to my first ever cruise on the Imagination in a few weeks. I've been lurking here for a bit trying to get as much info as I can. What is the American Table menu?

It's a somewhat new menu Carnival is introducing on the ships. It varies by ship and by itinerary. I did a quick google image search and this is what came up:

https://www.google.com/search?q=carnival+american+table+menu&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=pirtVP2aH8OeNsOogXA&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1251&bih=913

They both have the American Table Menu.

Inspiration has tablecloths, a smaller, single page menu and only the outer edges of the forward MDR are ATD. Imagination has the 'wood' tables, a trifold menu and the whole forward MDR is ATD. (The format is different, the food is the same).

We Sailed on the Imagination in December, and on the Inspiration in January and February.

The Imagination Buffet is prettier with blue circles in H-bars. Inspiration's buffet is the underside of Ursula's skirt. [emoji33]

Both have the newer, horrible bathroom vanity set up

I did pretty much exactly the opposite... sailed both in December, then Imagination in January and February. :cool:

Just a quick update to the above - Imagination now has the tablecloths again. Apparently people REALLY didn't like the bare tables! She also has the single-sheet menu on elegant night, but the larger tri-fold menu on the other nights.

OP, you really can't go wrong with either ship. I have a special fondness for Inspiration after bringing her westward through the Panama Canal, but I think Imagination is a bit more attractive. Until recently I would have given Imagination's crew a big advantage, but after sailing both ships the past 2-3 months that may now be more even.

Book whichever works best for your schedule, and have a wonderful time!