Question about AOS and OSJ.

Question about AOS and OSJ.

Our flight arrives at Old San Juan airport on March 8 at 11:30am. We’d like to explore OSJ but I also want to get our bags to the port so we don’t have to lug them around. I’m reading (on cruise critic) you can drop off your bags early and check in. I’m confused by people saying they checked in, got on the ship for lunch and then got back off the ship to go explore. How does this work? I’m presuming you don’t have to get back into the line with all the other people setting up their sign and sail accounts etc again….is there a separate line? Is it similar to what you do at other ports and you just have your seapass card scanned? We’re traveling with kids so I want this to be as easy as possible.

I’m also hearing horror stories about traffic. Has anyone done the on/off thing recently? I figure if we drop off the luggage and check in by 1 we can catch a cab and be in OSJ by 2….does this give us enough time to explore?

I’m full of questions today!

Thanks!

Stephanie

I think you need to be back by 5:30 for the muster drill. However, you don't actually need to check in. You can have the cab bring you to the port, let a porter get your bags, and then get back into the cab and go to OSJ. When you're done exploring, grab another cab back to the port and check in.

Edited by gms5002

How does this work? I’m presuming you don’t have to get back into the line with all the other people setting up their sign and sail accounts etc again….is there a separate line? Is it similar to what you do at other ports and you just have your seapass card scanned?

Once you pass through security, you just walk past the check-in area and go up the escalator back to the ship. Make sure you have your passports/photo ID. They will check this before they let you pass over the gangway to the ship.

Just so you're aware, it looks like the Carnival Valor will in the port in OSJ having turnaround day as well on March 8th. That will add to the traffic problems a bit.

Make sure you tell the taxi driver you want to go to the Pan American Pier (not the "cruise port") or you could end up at the Carnival ship by accident.

First keep in mind that you check in at the Pan American Pier, not in Old San Juan. If you really want to do this, drop your bags, check in, and then go to Old San Juan. There will be plenty of taxis to take you there and it is a short drive. Traffic is awful here but on a Sunday it shouldn't be that bad. Before going to OSJ check the all aboard and muster drill time and give yourself half hour to 45 minutes to get back on time. Enjoy your cruise!! :)

We are sailing March 22nd and thought about doing the same thing but decided against it and enjoy our first day on the ship to explore. We decided to spend an extra night after the cruise in Old San Juan to explore plus it's cheaper to fly on Mondays. Someone said why get on the ship then get back off when you're paying for that day on the ship. Makes sense to me.

We are sailing March 22nd and thought about doing the same thing but decided against it and enjoy our first day on the ship to explore. We decided to spend an extra night after the cruise in Old San Juan to explore plus it's cheaper to fly on Mondays. Someone said why get on the ship then get back off when you're paying for that day on the ship. Makes sense to me.

We're gonna go back into OSJ, I've been on lots of ships once once to OSJ but my husband hasn't. We also fly in and fly out the same day as the embarkation and departure (respectively) so there's not a lot of time for sight seeing.

Again, thanks everyone!

Stephanie

We're gonna go back into OSJ, I've been on lots of ships once once to OSJ but my husband hasn't. We also fly in and fly out the same day as the embarkation and departure (respectively) so there's not a lot of time for sight seeing.

Again, thanks everyone!

Stephanie

Have you dropped in to your roll call to meet your cruisemates?:rolleyes: Come on over and chat with us and sign up for your free Meet & Mingle party!!:cool: Go here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2008683&page=43

Have you dropped in to your roll call to meet your cruisemates?:rolleyes: Come on over and chat with us and sign up for your free Meet & Mingle party!!:cool: Go here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2008683&page=43

The link you gave me was for the Allure, I'm on Adventure, now you will get a chuckle because I'm freaking out on that page that I didn't know i had to get my show reservations in early!