Mid range hotels in Buenos Aires

Helenora

Have spent much time on Trip Advisor and am a little overwhelmed by choice. Can anyone recommend a mid range hotel in Buenos Aires fairly close to the cruise terminal and the domestic airport. As I am a woman travelling alone, I would prefer a hotel in a safe area. Thank you for your help

Have spent much time on Trip Advisor and am a little overwhelmed by choice. Can anyone recommend a mid range hotel in Buenos Aires fairly close to the cruise terminal and the domestic airport. As I am a woman travelling alone, I would prefer a hotel in a safe area. Thank you for your help

Palermo is nearest the airport and downtown (especially the Plaza San Martin area) are close to the cruise terminal. Recoleta is between the AEP airport and cruise terminal. These options give you a wide variety of choices, depending on your definition of "mid range."

By paying in Blue Pesos (see threads both here and on Trip Advisor), many an otherwise expensive hotel falls into the mid priced category and mid priced hotels fall to Motel 6 prices, particularly if you travel during their summers when BA hotel prices are lower than at other times of the year.

Remember when looking at prices to expect an additonal 21% in taxes.

I checked a date in early March and came up with several options around 100 dollars (Before the blue peso dis****): Hotel Duque in Palermo, Melia Buenos Aires downtown, and Sileo in Recoleta. Rates will vary by date, but that should give you a starting point.

You might try doing a search for these areas on expedia or another site that lists multiple hotels for your dates, develop a list of hotels that fit your budget, and ask for a recommendation.

Other decent mid priced hotels to look for: Urban Suites Recoleta, Holiday Inn Express downtown or Mira Vida Soho in Palermo.

We just came back from Buenos Aires and spent 3 most enjoyable nights at the Melia Buenos Aires on 925 Reconquista. Lovely hotel, but you need to request a room on a higher floor by sending them an email after you book, if you decide to use that hotel. We felt it was in a safe area, the concierge can call their car, sometimes at a slightly higher price than you can get by calling a radio taxi, and they generally walk you to your car or taxi. Being less than 2 klms from the port, it cost less than 50ARS (or $4 USD) for a taxi to the cruise port, and 177 ARS (or $15 USD) from the AEP airport to hotel, using the Tiende Leon Booth at AEP upon arrival, and this was at midnight. There is a Subway right across the street, and El Establo, a very nice reasonable priced restaurant is two blocks away, and also Kentucky Bar & Pizzeria, which is great for a light lunch (i.e. 2 empanadas and beer or soft drink at 48 ARS) nicely filled the spot, however this is not a sit down restaurant, just a very casual pick up and go, or eat at the bar. Location of both eateries: Paraguay & San Martin.

Re Melia Buenos Aires Hotel, check on trip advisor or the hotel's website for prices. We felt it was reasonably priced, and very convenient to cruise port and getting to AEP airport. Dr. Dawggy has been very helpful on these boards, and we took some of his advice before going to BA.

They also do change USD into ARS at the front desk, but at a lower rate than you can get on Florida Street, which is just about 4 blocks away.

The hotel also can book city tours etc. for you that will pick you up at the hotel and drop you back there.

Our walk down Florida Street led us to a place called PreFor Travel at 780 Florida, (prefortravel@hotmail.com), where we were able to purchase 2 tickets to a traditional tango show at Piazzolla Tango for 900 ARS total, which we enjoyed tremendously. Late show 10:15 to midnight, but for this price we were also personally picked up by bus and returned to our hotel.

a tidbit about Piazzolla Tango. The below ground venue was a "gentleman's club (house of ill repute)" in a former life. Seems appropriate that it now houses a show featuring a dance born in the bordellos of Buenos Aires. :)

Edited by dr__dawggy

We stayed at Hotel Sileo, Recoleta, right behind the cemetery. Near the mall, lots of restaurants. Very safe, several things to see and do within walking distance. We never paid more than $10 for taxi fare.

We went to the tango show at Café Tortoni, 240 AR Pesos, so if you are using "blue" pesos about $18 or so.

Another vote for the Melia. We stayed there twice and liked it very much. Nices places to eat and small supermercados right across the street, near to shopping areas and the HoHo bus.

They give you a quite good rate when you exchange US-$.

But try for a room in one of the higher floors, they have been refurbished more recently.

Another hotel option in Recoleta is the CasaSur Art Hotel. It is a block and a half from the Alvear Palace and the neighborhood seemed quite safe. Staff were friendly and helpful and our room had a very contemporary decor. If you are there on a Saturday, the hotel offers a complimentary tour of Buenos Aires - as I recall there was room for 20-25 guests. Guide was excellent and we stopped at Puerto Madero, La Boca and Plaza de Mayo. I think we paid around $150-175 including breakfast.

Another hotel option in Recoleta is the CasaSur Art Hotel. It is a block and a half from the Alvear Palace and the neighborhood seemed quite safe. Staff were friendly and helpful and our room had a very contemporary decor. If you are there on a Saturday, the hotel offers a complimentary tour of Buenos Aires - as I recall there was room for 20-25 guests. Guide was excellent and we stopped at Puerto Madero, La Boca and Plaza de Mayo. I think we paid around $150-175 including breakfast.

Another excellent choice. In the same price category, the Alvear Art Hotel downtown is a fantastic hotel.

We stayed at the Hotel Etiole right in front of the cemetery in Recoleta. Very good location, nice breakfast, extremely spacious rooms, helpful staff.

Rooms are somewhat dated but think you would be very comfortable there.

Another excellent choice. In the same price category, the Alvear Art Hotel downtown is a fantastic hotel.

Is the location of this hotel as good as that of the CasaSur Art hotel? I am a female traveling alone and want to be in a central and very safe area (well as safe as i can be).

It looks like Recoleta is a very good area and the CasaSur Art Hotel is reasonably priced. But the Alvear Art hotel also looks very good as long as the location is close to the major sights.

I am very picky about hotels so dont mind paying more for what I want, but this is my first visit to Buenos Aires so I don't know exactly what to expect.

Is the location of this hotel as good as that of the CasaSur Art hotel? I am a female traveling alone and want to be in a central and very safe area (well as safe as i can be).

It looks like Recoleta is a very good area and the CasaSur Art Hotel is reasonably priced. But the Alvear Art hotel also looks very good as long as the location is close to the major sights.

I am very picky about hotels so dont mind paying more for what I want, but this is my first visit to Buenos Aires so I don't know exactly what to expect.

The Casa Sur Art Hotel is in one of the nicer areas of Buenos Aires. The Alvear Art is on the periphery of downtown. It's within a couple of blocks of a very comfortable, residential area as you pass Santa Fe...but the area back the other direction toward Cordoba is not as nice at night.

Both hotels are convenient to some tourist sites, and only a short, inexpensive cab ride from others...a necessity in Buenos Aires, since not all sites are in one neighborhood.

I think for a woman traveling alone, the location of the Casa Sur Art is preferable....although for one who is picky about a hotel, the Alvear Art is one of the best in Buenos Aires.

The Casa Sur Art Hotel is in one of the nicer areas of Buenos Aires. The Alvear Art is on the periphery of downtown. It's within a couple of blocks of a very comfortable, residential area as you pass Santa Fe...but the area back the other direction toward Cordoba is not as nice at night.

Both hotels are convenient to some tourist sites, and only a short, inexpensive cab ride from others...a necessity in Buenos Aires, since not all sites are in one neighborhood.

I think for a woman traveling alone, the location of the Casa Sur Art is preferable....although for one who is picky about a hotel, the Alvear Art is one of the best in Buenos Aires.

Thanks, I agree with you about picking the better area. the Casa Sur Art looks nice enough although I suspect I would prefer the Alvear Art if it were in Recoleta. I like to walk alot and only take taxis when i have to, so the more central the location, the better. Also, I want to feel safe walking around at night within reason, of course.

Thanks, I agree with you about picking the better area. the Casa Sur Art looks nice enough although I suspect I would prefer the Alvear Art if it were in Recoleta. I like to walk alot and only take taxis when i have to, so the more central the location, the better. Also, I want to feel safe walking around at night within reason, of course.

My wife went out a couple of times at night without me along in search of a walk up market to buy bottled water and for a drug store. She felt very comfortable going to her left as she left the hotel to go the half block to Santa Fe, which is a safe enough area. She felt uneasy about going the other direction. Two blocks in that direction there are three or four strip clubs and some unsavory characters on the street at night. In the day time, this was not a problem.

The Alvear Art is within walking distance of a number of sites--Teatro Colon, Plaza de Mayo, and Plaza San Martin, several museums and basilicas, Galerias Pacifico mall (an architectural marvel, even if you don't shop). Casa Sur is closer to the Recoleta Cemetery (where Evita is buried) and a weekend market. We walked from the Alvear Art to Recoleta for the market, but chose to take a cab home as it was very hot and muggy. There are a number of restaurants close to either hotel.

The downside to moving the Alvear Art to Recoleta is that rooms would probably go up a hundred bucks a night. And, from their perspective, the Alvear hotel group already has a property in that area, the Alvear Palace.

Bottom line: For a first time single female visitor, Recoleta is probably a more comfortable choice if you are happy with the hotel.