Main Dining Room

We really like Anytime Dining which we have had on our Diamond Princess cruises but now it will be back to Traditional on Sun Princess our next cruise, we are seriously thinking of not taking Formal gear and not using the Dining room instead opting to go the buffet, room service, Pizza Restaurant or the International Cafe or Specialty Restaurant at a time when we feel like it.....anyone else ever give the Dining room a miss.

We really like Anytime Dining which we have had on our Diamond Princess cruises but now it will be back to Traditional on Sun Princess our next cruise, we are seriously thinking of not taking Formal gear and not using the Dining room instead opting to go the buffet, room service, Pizza Restaurant or the International Cafe or Specialty Restaurant at a time when we feel like it.....anyone else ever give the Dining room a miss.

Lots do, we will usually do room service at least one night [usually because I'm not up to it] and maybe one night a week or 10 days in a specialty.

On one cruise we were at a table on 8 and the only night anyone else turned up was the night we didn't so out of I think it was 10 nights there were only ever 2 people out of 8 attended.

We have given the MDR a miss but not due to formal night, that is usually when my favourite dishes come out. If we miss the MDR it is generally in favour of a Specialty restaurant.

I try and avoid the buffet, but that is due to the atmosphere, rather than the food quality.:D

We will be doing the same. No desire to pack formal gear when traveling to south east Asia in the hottest months! There are so many alternatives. We have a free specialty restaurant as part of our cruise deal, and will probably do balcony dining for the other formal night.

We will be doing the same. No desire to pack formal gear when traveling to south east Asia in the hottest months! There are so many alternatives. We have a free specialty restaurant as part of our cruise deal, and will probably do balcony dining for the other formal night.

The Balcony dining will be awesome.:D

The Balcony dining will be awesome.:D

It is indeed. Although if you like good wine take a decent bottle on board to drink during your balcony dinner. The champagne they provide isn't great, and it's only a half bottle. I've read somewhere than you can change it for a $30 bottle of still wine.

It is indeed. Although if you like good wine take a decent bottle on board to drink during your balcony dinner. The champagne they provide isn't great, and it's only a half bottle. I've read somewhere than you can change it for a $30 bottle of still wine.

Yes red or white, the sparkling is ok but I would prefer some Verve or Moet.:D

If you don't intend to use the dining room at all it would be good to let the

head waiter know so that someone else can be moved to the table.

We did a 35 night round Australia and NZ a few years ago and sat in

solitary splendour on a table for 6 the whole cruise.:mad:

If you don't intend to use the dining room at all it would be good to let the

head waiter know so that someone else can be moved to the table.

We did a 35 night round Australia and NZ a few years ago and sat in

solitary splendour on a table for 6 the whole cruise.:mad:

It happened to us, but we had requested, and missed out on, a table for 2 so were thrilled.

But the one night we didn't go one other couple turned up.

I have been told, don't know if it's true or not, that the higher the % of Asians onboard the higher the % of empty seats in MDR.

Your place at your table in the MDR will be there whether you use it or not. And if the time doesn't suit you then, of course, you have all the other options and should use them.

However you might like to consider advising the Maitre'd that you won't be dining in the MDR, that way your tablemates will know not to expect you or, if you have been allocated one of the coveted tables for two, the Maitre'd will know that the table is available for reassignment if required.