Tipping on Shore Excursions

letiha

So we are coming from Australia where we don't tip and wages in the services industry are such that tipping is not required.

Now I have no issues with tipping and understand what is required from me in the US and on the cruise.

However I'm wondering what is expected on shore tours, we are doing a western and southern Caribbean cruise almost B2B, does it differ depending on the port.

So we are coming from Australia where we don't tip and wages in the services industry are such that tipping is not required.

Now I have no issues with tipping and understand what is required from me in the US and on the cruise.

However I'm wondering what is expected on shore tours, we are doing a western and southern Caribbean cruise almost B2B, does it differ depending on the port.

Would have to say it depends on the excursion and the service provided. In November, we did the Pub Crawl in Key West and had a blast. This was a walking tour that included 7 bars. Our guide was great and very entertaining. We tipped him 10.00.

On an excursion that includes several staff members its appropriate to tip according to the service provided.

Use your judgement. All tips will be appreciated!

On a bus or van tour we generally tip the tour guide $10.00 a person for an all-day tour, $5.00 per person for a 4-5 hour tour. We also give the driver something, about half that amount. Many people don't tip the driver but we like to. Depending on how good the service is, we may give more, but that's the baseline. It doesn't differ by port of call.

If I book through Carnival, I don't tip. I don't base how much I tip based on the port.

We do a lot of guided snorkeling tours and have been in groups ranging from just the two of us up to 30 people. When there's a bunch of people we will tip lower ($5) but when it's just the two of us we tip higher, first because we get a lot more individual attention and second because we feel bad they are only getting tipped from two people (i realize this is not our fault :)) One time in Roatan we had such a great experience we tipped the guide $50 and the boat assistant $20 (for a $75 pp tour.)

For other tours we tip $5-$10 depending on the quality and size of the group. We might throw a couple bucks in the driver bucket although I agree this is annoying.

I also tip a flat amount depending on the level of service. I had a snorkeling excursion in Key West and they pretty much demanding we tip them at the end of the trip.:confused: I, as well as some others, didn't.

I'll be taking a tour outside the cruise endorsed excursion in Lisbon Portugal port. Is the tipping in euros different? It's a costly tour but it's worth it since its a private tour and the guide is just for us only. Is the same 10-15% ok? First time in Europe so I don't want to insult anyone if I don't tip appropriately.

We generally tip in the $5-$10 range pp too, depending upon the length and quality of the tour, and about the same in Europe, in euros.

If we are in Australia, would it be appropriate or not to tip on a tour?

In Australia we generally don't tip at all. I will round up the bill for meals or taxi fares etc but there is no expectation of tipping and the wages are such that tipping isn't required to supplement wages.

IF we tip, it's not a 'percentage"..it's a flat amount....based on our enjoyment! $5-10 is the common amount most tippers will do.

Agree with above: $5-10 for both of us and really is what most tippers do.

We also always tip any bus driver $1.