bonus's from T.A.

fasted

[quote name='newmexicoNita']and I have done groups, many times; there are points applied and the group leader decides what perks to apply the points too. Normally the cruise line (all cruise lines I might add) have certain perks for group bookings. Whatever the TA offers is in addition to the perks the cruise line gives. I can also assure you many agents do not tell the clients what they will get prior to sailing. That is part of the fun of giving something to the guests. We are not talking promo types of perks. That is different.[/quote]

and I have booked plenty of times with a TA who has a group booking as well. It has always added even more of an OBC than if there was not a group booking. When I'm looking at a certain date to book, I always ask what OBC is offered and if there's a group booking with the agency going on for that date and what is offered. I have NEVER been denied or kept in the dark about what they offer. As a matter of fact, I would never even book with an agent that didn't disclose this information. Like I said, that's part of "shopping around" for the best deal. ;) Sorry, I'm a planner and I like to know what I'm getting...not be in the dark. :cool:

To me, every TA I have dealt with and trying to get my business will come back with the price and ALSO tell me..."Hey, we also have a group booking for this sailing and can offer an additional $25 on top of the OBC you will be getting from us if you book this sailing." "Then there's the ___OBC special promo being ran by the cruiseline...then they are having a ____special as well." They have disclosed all the information to me prior to booking...to try to get the business. This is only common sense to me if you are trying to drum up business and a client.

Now of course with all that being said, a good TA is hard to come by. I've had an excellent TA for years, she was active on these boards, she suddenly passed away and I miss her dearly. I have struggled to find another TA as good as her and have jumped around here and there with the best deals, most OBC and group bookings. But it's hard to find that "special" TA that goes the extra mile for you. I have now found that TA recently and I hope to keep him around for a long time. He's there when I need him, he gives me awesome deals, he lays it on the line and explains everything when I have a question. Does he give more OBC than my last TA? Nope, sure doesn't (but comes close), but sometimes finding that certain person is worth even more in the end. :)

I had always booked online, I didn't use a TA until my last cruise and only to get the OBC. It just so happens that I also really liked her, she did a ton for me as I kept getting my room upgraded when the prices were dropping. I know I annoyed the heck out of her with my requests, but she never showed it to me! So I used her again for this NCL cruise, especially since I'm just now learning about NCL. I wasn't able to get as much OBC as I had before, but she was able to give me a discount on the room, which I'm sure is coming out of her own pockets. I agree that if you aren't getting some kind of perks, you need to find a better TA! They are out there, you just need to search a bit to find one.

[quote name='funredhead']Can you explain more about these points? And what perks cruise lines give to groups?

Thank so much.[/QUOTE]

Roughly yes, but it is a little complecated and varies from line to line: When a group of 8 or more cabins are booked and listed as a group, one person will travel free, based on the average cost of the cabin: like the OP said, normally they combine and average out the cost, then deduct from each reservation, sometimes the free person will actually end up traveling free.Normally this would be the person who does all the work, whether an agent or an individual. The points system again depends on which cabins, at what price are booked. The group dept at any cruise line will supply a list of perks that will apply depending on the amount of the sale. There will be several to choose from: everything from OBC to cocktail parties, excursions, pictures, etc. Even if 8 cabins are not sold, if the reservation is booked through the group desk, there will be some perks. I am not as good at explaining things in writing as I am in person, so I hope I have made it clear. Just a thought, if you think you want to book as a group, do so, like I said, even if 8 cabins are not sold there will be some perk. I can't guanantee what it will be. My TA just put a cabin on hold for us yesterday. It will be a fall booking and we may try and turn it into a group. I am not sure yet. We are waiting to see how many think they will be joining us. Edited by newmexicoNita

[quote name='funredhead']Can you explain more about these points? And what perks cruise lines give to groups? [/QUOTE]

Here is a PDF of NCL's Group Amenity Program: [url]http://www.ncl.com/csimages/123/433/17921_GroupAmenityChart.pdf[/url]

We book Balcony Cabins and pay 93% of NCL Retail price and generally receive $200 - $250 in OBC from the on-line TA; plus whatever promotion NCL is running at the time.

We receive absolutely no customer service from the TA and once when I emailed a question to him, I received a reply of "your answer is here" with a link to the NCL main webpage.

Having said that, I believe that if you are a regular visitor / poster to the NCL forum here on Cruise Critic, you already know more about the NCL product than the average TA Edited by Buford T Justiice

[quote name='Buford T Justiice']We book Balcony Cabins and pay 93% of NCL Retail price and generally receive $200 - $250 in OBC from the on-line TA; plus whatever promotion NCL is running at the time.

We receive absolutely no customer service from the TA and once when I emailed a question to him, I received a reply of "your answer is here" with a link to the NCL main webpage.

Having said that, I believe that if you are a regular visitor / poster to the NCL forum here on Cruise Critic, you already know more about the NCL product than the average TA[/quote]

That is not a TA. Online agencies are no different than calling NCL. They are just call center reps.

[quote name='chrisc71']That is not a TA. Online agencies are no different than calling NCL. They are just call center reps.[/QUOTE]

Just because some TAs do not provide exactly the same service as others, does not make them any less TAs.

By definition a TA is someone who or a company that provides travel related services to customers on behalf of the suppliers - what was described above is exactly that. Edited by Demonyte

[quote name='Demonyte']Just because some TAs do not provide exactly the same service as others, does not make them any less TAs.

By definition a TA is someone who or a company that provides travel related services to customers on behalf of the suppliers - what was described above is exactly that.[/quote]

Actually providing service is what a real TA does. Taking an order over the phone makes them a call center rep. There is a difference.

[quote name='chrisc71']Actually providing service is what a real TA does. Taking an order over the phone makes them a call center rep. There is a difference.[/QUOTE]

Booking a cruise on customer's behalf is a service. Just because you expect something more from your TA doesn't make your opinion an universal fact.

I rebooked my cabin yesterday with my current TA to get the free gratuities added on. Since we had a 10th cabin book I asked about other specials we might be getting. He said still just the $100 for me and $50 for them but he also said not all of my cabins will get the $50. At least 2 of them won't be getting it.

[quote name='newmexicoNita']Roughly yes, but it is a little complecated and varies from line to line: When a group of 8 or more cabins are booked and listed as a group, one person will travel free, based on the average cost of the cabin: like the OP said, normally they combine and average out the cost, then deduct from each reservation, sometimes the free person will actually end up traveling free.Normally this would be the person who does all the work, whether an agent or an individual. The points system again depends on which cabins, at what price are booked. The group dept at any cruise line will supply a list of perks that will apply depending on the amount of the sale. There will be several to choose from: everything from OBC to cocktail parties, excursions, pictures, etc. Even if 8 cabins are not sold, if the reservation is booked through the group desk, there will be some perks. I am not as good at explaining things in writing as I am in person, so I hope I have made it clear. Just a thought, if you think you want to book as a group, do so, like I said, even if 8 cabins are not sold there will be some perk. I can't guanantee what it will be. My TA just put a cabin on hold for us yesterday. It will be a fall booking and we may try and turn it into a group. I am not sure yet. We are waiting to see how many think they will be joining us.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much! I appreciate your insight. It's amazing all that can be learned by reading these boards.

[quote name='Demonyte']Here is a PDF of NCL's Group Amenity Program: [url]http://www.ncl.com/csimages/123/433/17921_GroupAmenityChart.pdf[/url][/QUOTE]

Thank you for this link. We have 13 cabins booked together with a ta. I may have 2 more joining. Sounds like I need t call the ta after the last two booking and ask about this program. If I am reading it correctly, each room can qualify for $150 obc from ncl. And if we get to 14, we could add a dinner in cagneys. Those are really nice perks.
Crossing my fingers.

Thanks again! I absolutely love this community. Everyday, I learn something new. And it often saves me $.

[quote name='chrisc71']Actually providing service is what a real TA does. Taking an order over the phone makes them a call center rep. There is a difference.[/QUOTE]

You said it better than I could; People just don't always understand the difference between an on line agent, a call center rep and a legit TA. Yes, there are TAs out there that probably should have found another calling, but a good TA works for very little money and can be worth their weight in gold. What perks they give should be second to the service they give. Their knowledge alone is invaluable. I know I would be very upset if something happened to my TA. Edited by newmexicoNita

[quote name='Selluks']I rebooked my cabin yesterday with my current TA to get the free gratuities added on. Since we had a 10th cabin book I asked about other specials we might be getting. He said still just the $100 for me and $50 for them but he also said not all of my cabins will get the $50. At least 2 of them won't be getting it.[/QUOTE]

ok, let me ask you this; did you tell your TA at the beginning you wanted this to be a group booking and there would be at least 8 cabins you thought? If you didn't that is where the problem lies. it doesn't cost the agency anything to set it up as a group, but it has to be done at the beginning. It sounds like you just kept adding cabins. The group perks are an NCL program.

[quote name='newmexicoNita']ok, let me ask you this; did you tell your TA at the beginning you wanted this to be a group booking and there would be at least 8 cabins you thought? If you didn't that is where the problem lies. it doesn't cost the agency anything to set it up as a group, but it has to be done at the beginning. It sounds like you just kept adding cabins. The group perks are an NCL program.[/QUOTE]

Yes he knew it would be a group. We are getting married on the ship so we knew we would have a lot of cabins booked. We expecting even more people to book as time goes on.

There was another recent thread about this topic. I booked my NCL via NCL online, then, via this site, found out about possible perks for transferring to a TA. So, I shopped around. I ended up transferring to one of the TA's on this sites TA list. NCL had already given me $200 OBC and the TA almost doubled that. No booking or cancellation fees. I'm staying in a Family Oceanview, 3 passengers, Nov 21 Escape. I believe its all based on price paid, so it sounds like some here didn't get a very good 'perk' from their TA.

Some people have asked, Why would a TA give perks? My guess at the answer is so that they can stay in business. Why would anyone spend the time going to a TA when they can quickly go online and book the same thing at the same price. There used to be travel agencies, large and small, all over the place. How many do you drive past now? I certainly don't know of many. I know of one local chain of a larger northeast agency, but other than them, I don't know of others. Edited by bt0510

[quote name='bt0510']

Some people have asked, Why would a TA give perks? My guess at the answer is so that they can stay in business. Why would anyone spend the time going to a TA when they can quickly go online and book the same thing at the same price. There used to be travel agencies, large and small, all over the place. How many do you drive past now? I certainly don't know of many. I know of one local chain of a larger northeast agency, but other than them, I don't know of others.[/quote]

Many TAs are going away from storefront because technology allows it. Lower overhead.

As to why people use them, just look at these boards. A TA will have the answer to most questions on here. Not to mention how many times the same question is repeatedly asked, I disagree that it is that easy for most people.

And a good TA will get you the same price or sometimes better with group pricing. Also the added OBC.

Again a good TA is a real asset.