Skagway - Car or Train?

CruzLover80

The one way train to Fraser only three times a day. 740am , noon and 540 pm. Most ships don't get there in time to meet the first train or the last. The best is probably drive to Emerald Lake and get one of the return trips from Fraser. Also check the White Pass site for exact times and schedule.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Most cruise ships are in Skagway all day long, so there is no need to rush.

We like to avoid lines and crowds when possible.

We have a leisurely breakfast and pick up our rental car later in the morning, after the crowds have cleared out and there is no line.

If you have reserved with Avis and will be late picking up your car, it is a good idea to call them to confirm so they don't give your car away to someone else, especially when you have not put a deposit on it.

The 12 o'clock train to Fraser is our ideal time choice as it gives us some time to spend in town in the morning with the chance to pick up a few things to take along.

If there is early morning fog that day, it is likely to have lifted by then.

If it is a nice day and we are up early, we may take the short hike out to Yakutania Point first and look for seals from the bridge.

Also, by boarding the train in town rather than at the cruise dock where most of the cruise ship passengers board, your passengers likely will not be in a crowded car on the train, or even have a different train from the cruise ship tour crowds.

By leaving later, we encounter very light to no traffic on the road because the tour buses, vans and jeeps are long gone.

When we get to the Canada border crossing station, there are only 2, 3 or 4 other vehicles ahead of us in line. We have also gone through when there were none at all.

We like to stop for lunch at the bakery in Carcross before heading up to Emerald Lake. No crowds there by the time we get there either, or when we stop at Caribou Crossing.

There are very clean public restrooms in Carcross, and it is an interesting funky little town to look around.

In May, June, July and early August it stays light out late, so no concerns about driving back down to Skagway after dark.

We like to plan to get back down to Skagway at least 2 hours before our ship's scheduled departure time (to provide a safety net just in case), but are usually back in Skagway long before then. Plenty of time to top off the tank and drop passengers and packages off by the ship before returning the rental car.

Edited by fleckle

for your info. I've been stressing about our vehicle rental and long lines, but I think since the Radiance is scheduled to be docked until 8:30, not being in a rush is going to work better for us.

DH doesn't ever get in a rush. It's okay because I stress enough for the both of us! :D

Gloria

we rented a car and drove all the way to Canada. It was the highlight of our trip
Driving "all the way" to Canada from Skagway is only about 20 miles! :)

That is the short drive up to the Fraser train station and border crossing, described in previous posts about doing a train + rental car combination.

I figure you probably meant that you drove all the way to Carcross or Emerald Lake, or Whitehorse. :D

The drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake is approximately 75 miles.

I agree it is a wonderful drive, well worth taking.

If you really get lucky, you may even see bears nibbling beside the highway along the way.

Some of the biggest advantages of doing it on your own are that you can start the drive when you want, stop along the way whenever and wherever you like, stay at each place as long as you wish, and move on whenever you are ready.

There is no rushing because we have to meet our tour guide in 10 minutes.

If you bring along Murray's Guide, you know exactly where to find everything along the way.

Additionally, if you have several people you may save money by renting your own car instead of booking a commercial tour.

A commercial tour can be nice too, but unless you hire the guide exclusively for your own party, they try to accommodate all their customers.

So you can end up spending your time at places you don't care about, or cutting short places where you would like to stay longer.

Edited by varoo