Hostels near Pier 88 NYC

nanacakes

Looking at Hostels to stay pre-cruise. Anyone with experience with Manhattan hostels? Considering Hostel International, Searfarers International. Need elevator, we're in the 60's. Any idea of taxi costs? Need to get from Penn Station & then to pier

Looking at Hostels to stay pre-cruise. Anyone with experience with Manhattan hostels? Considering Hostel International, Searfarers International. Need elevator, we're in the 60's. Any idea of taxi costs? Need to get from Penn Station & then to pier

What is your exact date? What is your budget? Are you sightseeing in New York? Where are you coming in from on the train? The more details about your trip, the better.

Hostel International is way uptown near 104th Street. It will cost you about $25 each way by cab. The other hostel is near Union Square and will cost about $30 for two cab rides.

Would you consider a YMCA? There is the Vanderbilt YMCA on East 47 and the Westside YMCA on W 60something. Both in good neighborhoods not far from pier. I don't know these two facilities but the YMCA organization in NYC is generally well regarded. I have used the one near me but its notba hostel. Google for more information. Not sure if it's what you are looking for.

What is your budget? Are you sightseeing in New York? Where are you coming in from on the train? The more details about your trip, the better.

The reason I'm asking these questions is to get a feel for how much money you are willing to spend on accommodations, whether you are just looking for a one night stand without sightseeing, and what train and what direction you're coming from. Depending on your answers, it may be possible to find you a reasonably priced solution outside of Manhattan that will also offer you the accessibiity you require. The problem in Manhattan for your date us that it is fashion week and accommodations are always pricey.

Hotel Pennsylvania (check their web site) is reasonably priced and right across the street from Penn Station - also perhaps a $15 taxi ride to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal - the savings on cab fares would likely exceed the savings from going to some distant location - with fewer amenities.

The Hotel Pennsylvania is $319 + tax for Sept 12. It's Fashion Week. I'm sure that is over the OP's budget.

It probably is over OP's budget - while the previously suggested Hostel International on 104th Street would come to about $57 per person (plus $18 p/p membership) for beds in an 8 or 10 person dorm room with shared bath - say $150 - plus whatever the extra cab fares would be. While there are a number of inexpensive motels outside Manhattan, the extra cab fares would eat up a lot of the savings. The Vanderbilt , or other "Y" is a good suggestion - I do not know what they would run. The sad fact is that staying in a decent place in a convenient neighborhood at a busy time like Fashion Week is not cheap.

If the OP would let us know where they are coming in from on the train, I have some suggestions for staying in hotels near train stations outside of the city. One of them is inexpensive, has a hotel shuttle from the train station, an elevator, and lots of amenities including free breakfast. A quick train ride to Manhattan and a cab to the port would be very doable and inexpensive the morning if the cruise. IMO much less hassle than looking for shared accommodations with strangers in NYC hostels.

If the OP would let us know where they are coming in from on the train, I have some suggestions for staying in hotels near train stations outside of the city. One of them is inexpensive, has a hotel shuttle from the train station, an elevator, and lots of amenities including free breakfast. A quick train ride to Manhattan and a cab to the port would be very doable and inexpensive the morning if the cruise. IMO much less hassle than looking for shared accommodations with strangers in NYC hostels.

Interesting suggestions. Since Amtrak is likely, relevant nearby stations might be Stamford if from northeast; Harmon if from north, Newark if from south. Each location has to offer a number of possibilities much less expensive than in New York - and would permit half-hour or so trips into Penn Station on sailing date.

Yes - I stayed precruise in Newark in January for the Quantum and arrived by Amtrak from Boston. I've also Hotwired 3* and up hotels in Stamford numerous times. Both are much more appealing choices than staying in shared accommodations in a New York City hostel. And of course all these properties had elevators.

For Sep 12 Hotwire has a 3.5* hotel for $63 plus tax. Could be the Sheraton. Quick cab ride from the station. IMO much less hassle than what you were thinking of doing in NYC.

If decide to do this and you end up taking metro north to NYC instead of Amtrak, take a train that originates in Stamford and get on the first car to minimize your walking in Grand Central Station.