basor

Car Rental Galveston

I just booked a car from Enterprise at IAH to be dropped it off in Galveston on the day of the cruise. There was no hassle, a $100 drop fee, but that seemed worth it in light of the other options. This was, by far, the cheapest option as well. I checked the cost of renting from the other Enterprise outlet near IAH and the price was a couple hundred dollars more. I was really surprised that the airport was cheaper and that the drop fee was what it was. The cruise is in August, so maybe because I booked ahead, but really not an issue and we get to spend a few days enjoying Galveston before boarding.

Where is the Enterprise office in Galveston? Everything I find is Texas City which is 20or so miles from the ship??? Thanks!

Thanks for the web address .... unfortunately, it is a better deal to rent a car thru Costco when we arrive on 12/4 in the early am (red eye), drive to Galveston, pay to park at port, pick up car on the 11th, spend the day sight seeing and return it at IAH before our flight ..... Guess that's what we will do!

Thanks for the web address .... unfortunately, it is a better deal to rent a car thru Costco when we arrive on 12/4 in the early am (red eye), drive to Galveston, pay to park at port, pick up car on the 11th, spend the day sight seeing and return it at IAH before our flight ..... Guess that's what we will do!

That's what I have read more than once. The Enterprise one-way price is so high that it's less expensive to keep the rental in the parking lot for a week.

We are finding that this is the cheapest option for us in September too.

Just a little car rental info.... I called Enterprise in Galveston...

Enterprise, IAH to Galveston...

Very doable. $100 drop off fee applies. Enterprise DOES NOT have a shuttle from Galveston location to cruise terminal. DOES NOT. Chris at Enterprise Galveston indicated the SOP was to drop off rental then Enterprise would call you a taxi to cruise terminal.

Just a little car rental info.... I called Enterprise in Galveston...

Enterprise, IAH to Galveston...

Very doable. $100 drop off fee applies. Enterprise DOES NOT have a shuttle from Galveston location to cruise terminal. DOES NOT. Chris at Enterprise Galveston indicated the SOP was to drop off rental then Enterprise would call you a taxi to cruise terminal.

Thanks for the update.

We cruise next July and after researching all options, will rent a car for the week, visit the NASA Space Center the day before our cruise, then park at one of the Lots nearby. Most shuttles I checked with wanted $170 each way and this way we have a car to travel around with. Despite the fact it will be parked most of the time.

We're sailing RC Liberty April 2017. Here are the options I've come up with:

- Enterprise 1-way IAH to Galveston

$200 each way ($400 total)

- IAH to Texas City

$80 each way + taxi to port

- Houston (not IAH) to Texas City

$40 each way + taxi to port

need to take a taxi from the airport to the rental agency

- 8 day car rental from IAH

$400 + Park'n'cruise fee

- 8 day car rental from Houston (not IAH)

$200 + Park'n'cruise fee

need to take a taxi from the airport to the rental agency

Some thoughts:

The Enterprise option is not worth it.

Renting from IAH causes a 2x premium.

For the 8-day rentals, there might be a hotel in Galveston that offers free Park'n'Cruise.

Taxi fees (and hassle) can be saved by having Dad drop family/luggage off and return the car by himself.

Question is, how hard is it to transit to a non-airport rental office in Houston? That would be the most economical option.

Make sure you keep checking the car rental rates!!!

We were on the 2/12/17 sailing of the Breeze. We flew into IAH two days before the cruise and flew back out the day following the cruise so we pretty much needed a rental car.

I would check the rates multiple times a day and finally ended up with a car from Alamo (booked through Costco) for $242 for the nine day rental. This was actually a Premium car which for some reason was cheaper than any other car. We prepaid for parking at the pier for about $60 so our entire cost was about $300.

It all worked very well and was very convenient. Having our own transportation allowed us to go to Houston Space Center, Kemah Boardwalk, the Off Shore Oil Rig Museum, catch a Mardi Gras parade, Dolphin Harbor tour, Seawolf Park and visit the Seawall.

Our gas bill was $15.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In case anyone is wondering...I called Avis just now, confirmed it was the Texas City location, and asked if they had a shuttle to the port. They said they do not, and that you would have to call Uber or a taxi.

Anyone have a recent experience? Dropping off at Enterprise on the island is $110 more expensive (even thru costco).

In case anyone is wondering...I called Avis just now, confirmed it was the Texas City location, and asked if they had a shuttle to the port. They said they do not, and that you would have to call Uber or a taxi.

Anyone have a recent experience? Dropping off at Enterprise on the island is $110 more expensive (even thru costco).

Situation has not changed !

SOME OPTIONS:

Galveston Express

Galveston Limo.

Super Shuttle.

Action Limo.

Galveston Cruise Transfers Co.

Uber.

Cabs.

Lyft.

Cruise lines provide transfers between Airports and Terminals

only on the same days of cruises lines having ships in port

In town service with Cabs, Uber, Lyft, hotel in-house transfers , and Galveston Trolleys

Enterprise Car Rentals

Avis Texas City

We've done this a few times, both via taxi and uber. I think the taxi fare was about $40 each way, while uber was 20 - 30% less (for an Uber X). Very easy.