Mr Sanchos

harmcruiser

After much thought and debate-we have decided on Mr Sanchos for our day in Cozumel. Now we are trying to decide if we do the all inclusive or pay as you go. My question is not really about the food or drinks, but more about the beach/pool areas. I have three picky kids and a husband that doesn't drink so I really don't think we'd get our moneys worth on the all inclusive. But is the beach much better on that side?? We will definitely be doing the water playground for the kids.

My other question is if you do the pay as you go, do you just show up?? No tickets or reservations??

I just came to this section of the board to get more information on this excursion. I was planning on staying on the ship in Cozumel as I didn't care for it at all when I went in December but I have read a few things about Mr. Sanchos that seemed positive. The beach looked beautiful and it seems they have a nice pool from the pictures I saw and maybe a swim up bar. I am thinking about the all inclusive just to not have to worry about it but I don't drink a lot, either. A few drinks and some food should make it worth it, though, isn't it only $55 a person? The water playground looked fun, can adults do it? Is it an extra cost or part of the all inclusive?

AI & PAYG enjoy the same beach, just different pools (AI pool is larger and has swim up bar with stools in the pool) and they keep the sides separated so that AI customers don't share free drinks with PAYG customers.

I just came to this section of the board to get more information on this excursion. I was planning on staying on the ship in Cozumel as I didn't care for it at all when I went in December but I have read a few things about Mr. Sanchos that seemed positive. The beach looked beautiful and it seems they have a nice pool from the pictures I saw and maybe a swim up bar. I am thinking about the all inclusive just to not have to worry about it but I don't drink a lot, either. A few drinks and some food should make it worth it, though, isn't it only $55 a person? The water playground looked fun, can adults do it? Is it an extra cost or part of the all inclusive?

There are so many things to do and different types of beach clubs on Cozumel, it would be a shame to stay on the ship, unless you have been lots of times. May I ask where you went in December and what you didn't like? What are you looking for - I am sure some one would be able to make suggestions.

There are so many things to do and different types of beach clubs on Cozumel, it would be a shame to stay on the ship, unless you have been lots of times. May I ask where you went in December and what you didn't like? What are you looking for - I am sure some one would be able to make suggestions.

Well we didn't do any excursions, we just got off the ship and walked around. There was absolutely nothing to see except for a lot of people trying to sell us stuff. We never even got to a beach. I think we will do this excursion next time, not too expensive and the beach looks nice. I just want somewhere with a beautiful beach with clear water. Food and drinks would be great, either inclusive or pay as you go. I want somewhere we can go for a few hours and feel like we got our moneys worth, not somewhere I feel like I have to stay the entire day. So maybe something from like 10-2 that way we get to sleep in a little and come back early enough for a nap. Mr. Sanchos sounds like a good choice, at $55 we have all we can eat/drink and I don't feel like I am getting ripped off if we only stay 4 hours.

I should add that last time it began pouring on us so we were kind of forced to head back to the ship. Hopefully the weather cooperates better this time.

Edited by BigB0882

We have done a few things in Cozumel, but are just trying to get away from the cruise ship provided excursions. We wanted the same, a nice beach, stuff to keep the kids entertained, some decent food and a few drinks. We are going to go ahead and do the all inclusive also. I am keeping my fingers for nice weather!!! Two weeks until we are on the ship!

Well we didn't do any excursions, we just got off the ship and walked around. There was absolutely nothing to see except for a lot of people trying to sell us stuff. We never even got to a beach. I think we will do this excursion next time, not too expensive and the beach looks nice. I just want somewhere with a beautiful beach with clear water. Food and drinks would be great, either inclusive or pay as you go. I want somewhere we can go for a few hours and feel like we got our moneys worth, not somewhere I feel like I have to stay the entire day. So maybe something from like 10-2 that way we get to sleep in a little and come back early enough for a nap. Mr. Sanchos sounds like a good choice, at $55 we have all we can eat/drink and I don't feel like I am getting ripped off if we only stay 4 hours.

I should add that last time it began pouring on us so we were kind of forced to head back to the ship. Hopefully the weather cooperates better this time.

Looking at your history it appears you were on the Elation last time and probably docked at Punta Langosta, in town? Whilst many people welcome the opportunity to be in the middle of the action without a cab ride, I can understand how that can be a little overwhelming for your initial introduction to Cozumel. I felt the same way many years ago. Since then I have visited many times both for cruise ship days and for land vacations. If you walked the main street in town, the trick is to cross over to the ocean side, if you wish to avoid the constant barrage of vendors, which incidentally are mild compared to some ports as I have discovered from years of cruising.

However this time it appears you will dock at Puerta Maya , Carnival's self-made port south of town. There will still be vendors but it is within the port boundaries.

As I said there are many beach bars to suit all types, active/quiet, all-inclusive/PAYG. Popular venues on this board include Mr Sanchos, Paradise Beach and Nachi Cocom. There are many reviews if you glance through the postings. Good pictorial accounts of Mr Sanchos and Nachi in the signature of Mitsugirly. Other popular venues include Palancar, Money Bar and Bar Hop, which takes you to the east side and entirely different. Some places are PAYG some all-inclusive. We generally avoid all-inclusive when on the cruise ship but some places don't offer the option. I hope with a little research you will find somewhere to change your mind about Cozumel.

Good luck with your choice this time! I will add when the weather is bad it can spoil everything and you often need a plan B! Cozumel Water Sports are a broker for excursions and day passes to many hotels and beach bars. I don't think it applies to all bookings but when we did a day pass to Allegro there was a cancel for any reason clause.

Edited by c-leg5

Thanks so much! You are right, we were on the Elation last time. :) May I ask how you know exactly what port we will be using? I didn't know there was a way to look this up.

We are definitely going to do SOMETHING in Cozumel in order to give it another try. Since Cozumel is almost ALWAYS a stop on any itinerary out of New Orleans and Galveston (the two ports we can drive to) we might as well find something we like to do there!

Mr. Sanchos is high on my list right now but I am going to look into the others you mentioned. May I ask why you don't usually do all inclusive? As someone with more experience, do you find that it is not usually worth it? I am not a heavy drinker and I do not drink real fruity/sweet drinks as I am diabetic and they give me horrible heartburn. I tend to like vodka on the rocks but I doubt I can get a vodka worth drinking at these all inclusive places.

Edited by BigB0882

Thanks so much! You are right, we were on the Elation last time. :) May I ask how you know exactly what port we will be using? I didn't know there was a way to look this up.

We are definitely going to do SOMETHING in Cozumel in order to give it another try. Since Cozumel is almost ALWAYS a stop on any itinerary out of New Orleans and Galveston (the two ports we can drive to) we might as well find something we like to do there!

Mr. Sanchos is high on my list right now but I am going to look into the others you mentioned. May I ask why you don't usually do all inclusive? As someone with more experience, do you find that it is not usually worth it? I am not a heavy drinker and I do not drink real fruity/sweet drinks as I am diabetic and they give me horrible heartburn. I tend to like vodka on the rocks but I doubt I can get a vodka worth drinking at these all inclusive places.

I generally use the following link to check schedule

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/cozumelschedule2015.html#.VP2yTYY8KrU

But there are others if you google and I believe the Puerta Maya website has a schedule for Carnival cruiselines.

With food provided on the cruise ship and the heat of the day we generally don't eat a lot at lunch time and don't need AI place. We do like to buy a snack and several drinks but usually find it more economical at the places we frequent to PAYG. Sometimes if you want to go to a particular location there is no option but to take AI as we did at Allegro. We are more likely to do AI if we are staying on the island and having to buy food anyway.

Another word of warning the sea water in Cozumel is not always blue and crystal clear. If a storm has passed through the water will be churned up at all the southern beach clubs and since they are all next door to each other it won't really matter which one you are at - it is a fact of nature. Some beaches are more rocky than others and may require water shoes which you will also discover as you read the many reports on here.

FYI We were there at Mr Sancho's on Saturday. When we got to the club, however there were no openings for PAYG.... hmmmmm ...but there were openings in AI, so we decided to go for it and we had a BLAST! Nice beach, good service, and wonderful food!! Get there early though if you want PAYG. I would go there again!

It's definitely the same beach, it's just sectioned off and you wear a wristband to alert the staff which side you are supposed to be on.

The water inflatables are on the PAYG side, so if you are on the AI side, you will have to walk down that way.

The pool on the AI side is much nicer and bigger. However, I have just seen new reports coming in that they have just built and finished the "new pool and swim up bar" on the AI side. So I'm now wondering if the AI side now has 2 big swim up bars. The PAYG is a very small pool and maybe 4' deep.

I have a complete review listed in my signature line and it shows both the AI and PAYG sides. There's tons of pictures in it. :)

We have gone to Mr. Sancho's at least once a year over the past several years. It is fabulous. We have always done the AI. Last week we were with friends who don't drink and didn't want to do an AI. Big mistake. We are not big drinkers, but do love food, diet coke and water...plus a few margarita's and beers. We ended up spending more than the AI would have been (they also spent more), there was no pool, very little service and the taxi was more as the place we went was past Mr. Sancho's...From now on it is a no brainer. Mr. Sancho's it is.

We have gone to Mr. Sancho's at least once a year over the past several years. It is fabulous. We have always done the AI. Last week we were with friends who don't drink and didn't want to do an AI. Big mistake. We are not big drinkers, but do love food, diet coke and water...plus a few margarita's and beers. We ended up spending more than the AI would have been (they also spent more), there was no pool, very little service and the taxi was more as the place we went was past Mr. Sancho's...From now on it is a no brainer. Mr. Sancho's it is.

Where did you go and why didn't you do mr Sancho's PAYG?

Friends wanted to try Palancar-for some reason they didn't want to go to Mr. Sancho's. I'm not dissing as Palancar was very nice, however, imho, I think Mr. Sancho's is much nicer-at least the AI side. I have not done the pay as you go side. Food, drinks, waiters, bathrooms, pool...everything I felt was better at Mr. Sancho's. My opinion.

Friends wanted to try Palancar-for some reason they didn't want to go to Mr. Sancho's. I'm not dissing as Palancar was very nice, however, imho, I think Mr. Sancho's is much nicer-at least the AI side. I have not done the pay as you go side. Food, drinks, waiters, bathrooms, pool...everything I felt was better at Mr. Sancho's. My opinion.

Thanks for your reply, at least now we know what you are comparing it to which is more helpful.

I generally use the following link to check schedule

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/cozumelschedule2015.html#.VP2yTYY8KrU

But there are others if you google and I believe the Puerta Maya website has a schedule for Carnival cruiselines.

That website is wrong. I was on the Elation for the Superbowl weekend cruise and we did not dock in Punta Langosta on January 31st. We docked at the International Pier. I even brought it to the attention of some other people on our cruise facebook page that it said we were going to be docked at Punta Langosta but I told them not to get their hopes up because when there aren't many ships in port Carnival is never going to dock there if there is still room at Puerto Maya or International and I was correct.