4 day Itinerary - Anchorage with kid

silly2003

Here is my 4-day itinerary with 8 year old boy.

Our cruise leaves from Whittier, but I could not get a hotel room in Whittier on the night before we leave so I am opting to go to Seward to see Prince William Sound.

Nothing is in stone yet, still in planning stages, but working hard on getting the itinerary. I am doing some things in Anchorage or Seward, that we could do on the cruise for twice the price. Suggestions? Comments?

Day 1

Arrive @9:30 pm - flying from East Coast

pick up car

stay in Anchorage

Day 2

shop for snacks and lunch for 2 days

Ship Creek to see the Salmon

afternoon: Alaska Native Heritage Museum (mom's pick) or

Alaska Aviation Museum (dad's pick)

stay Anchorage

Day 3

Hike Flattop Mountain - 3 mile hike 30 minutes outside of Anchorage (giving ourselves about 3 hours for the hike plus travel time

afternoon: Alaska Zoo

stay Anchorage

Day 4

Get up early, leave at 8:00 am for Seward

2.5 hour drive to Seward

noon cruise on Resurrection Bay (includes lunch) (12:00 pm - 4:30 pm)

stay night in Seward

Day 5

10:00 Dog Sled Tour (on wheels) in Seward

Lunch in Seward

Drive back to Anchorage in the afternoon, arriving Anchorage at about 4:30 pm

stay night in Anchorage

Day 6

get rid of car and get on transfer to Whittier for beginning of cruise.

Begin 7 day cruise Whittier, AK to Vancouver, BC

(we have 1 day in Vancouver at the end, but we have already spent a week in Vancouver 4 years ago, so nothing big planned for Vancouver)

I have left time at the end of each day for a little wandering around.

What date are you going to be in Anchorage? Check to see whether the salmon are running yet.

I would leave some downtime just rest and relax. You might want to have a half day for the 8 yr old to play

in a park or on the beach. Instead of a dog sled ride , take the 8 yr to the Seward wildlife center to sea the fish and other animals.

Edited by Kamloops50

Alaska Zoo: I've never found it to be very exceptional. I think the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center at Portage is a better animal option. You could do it on Day 5 on your way back to Anchorage.

The Alaska Aviation Museum: When I did it last year, I was there maybe an hour and a half. It's a great spot, but it's pretty small. So you should have time to fit it in somewhere in your schedule.

Another spot for seeing salmon (if they are running) is the Potters Marsh boardwalk, just south of Anchorage.

The day of your cruise you'd have time for a Prince William Sound glacier cruise out of Whittier before boarding the ship.

What date are you going to be in Anchorage? Check to see whether the salmon are running yet.

I would leave some downtime just rest and relax. You might want to have a half day for the 8 yr old to play

in a park or on the beach. Instead of a dog sled ride , take the 8 yr to the Seward wildlife center to sea the fish and other animals.

We will be in Anchorage, last 2 days of June, first days of July. So I think the salmon are running in Ship Creek. Is this something you need to bring boots to see or can be seen from the shore?

Alaska Zoo: I've never found it to be very exceptional. I think the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center at Portage is a better animal option. You could do it on Day 5 on your way back to Anchorage.

The Alaska Aviation Museum: When I did it last year, I was there maybe an hour and a half. It's a great spot, but it's pretty small. So you should have time to fit it in somewhere in your schedule.

Another spot for seeing salmon (if they are running) is the Potters Marsh boardwalk, just south of Anchorage.

The day of your cruise you'd have time for a Prince William Sound glacier cruise out of Whittier before boarding the ship.

Thank you for the advice, I will do more research on the Wildlife Conservation Center. The reason for going to the zoo, knowing it is not a big zoo, is to see the polar bear(s) and caribou, something that we don't see at home. And we were just in NYC at the Central Park Zoo and they used to have a polar bear, but he died of old age about 18 months ago, so we just missed the chance to see him.

When is this trip?

Personally I found the Bay tour in Seward boring. I've done it on 2 different visitis when the 6 hr Kenai cruise was downgraded due to poor weather. When we did get out, the 6 hr cruise was awesome.

Since you asked for feedback, I'll offer an entirely different option. I'd skip Seward entirely .... you can make up the Bay cruise and dog carting elsewhere.

Day 1 arrive.

2 drive to Girdwood. Stop at Potters Marsh to look for moose at the end of the boardwalk. Look for dall sheep on the ridges. Tram at Alyeska Resort if it's a clear day. Lunch at the Girdwood Bake Shop. Begich Boggs Visitor Center at Portage Lake/Glacier and do the 3pm 'ice worm safari' and 'trail of blue ice". Look in this website under RELATED LINKS for details on the hikes

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/chugach/home/?cid=stelprdb5251094

3. Alaska Wildlife conservation center. Drive to Matanuska Glacier if you think an glacier trek would be of interest . Those who don't hike can enjoy the views from the lodge.

http://www.micaguides.com/hiking.html

And/or visit Independence Mine for a hike around the ruins. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/indmine.htm

4 Dog carting in Willow. Stop at Eagle River nature Center, Eklutna Spirit Houses

5 return to Anc . Visit the museums and Heritage center.

6 bus to Whittier. Day cruise.

Look thru this trip report from JozieRhodes. The first page includes photos from their road trip to Matanuska Glacier, dog carting and Independence Mine.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2073674

For other stopping points on the drive to Girdwood and Matanuska Glacier check out these links from Alaska.org

http://www.alaska.org/guide/matanuska-glacier-scenic-drive

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

Our cruise leaves from Whittier, but I could not get a hotel room in Whittier on the night before we leave so I am opting to go to Seward to see Prince William Sound.

Nothing is in stone yet, still in planning stages, but working hard on getting the itinerary. I am doing some things in Anchorage or Seward, that we could do on the cruise for twice the price. Suggestions? Comments?

Day 1

pick up car

stay in Anchorage

Day 2

stay Anchorage

Day 3

Hike Flattop Mountain - 3 mile hike 30 minutes outside of Anchorage (giving ourselves about 3 hours for the hike plus travel time

stay Anchorage

Day 4

2.5 hour drive to Seward

stay night in Seward

Day 5

Lunch in Seward

stay night in Anchorage

Day 6

(we have 1 day in Vancouver at the end, but we have already spent a week in Vancouver 4 years ago, so nothing big planned for Vancouver)

I have some alternative suggestions that could improve your itinerary, and offer you more touring opportunities. Despite the costs, I highly recommend you get a one way Avis rental car, Anchorage/Whittier. Uses your time without backtracking, using time, when your time is short to begin with.

I also never recommend any of the bay trips, simply, so so at best with no glacier viewing, except at a far distance. Far superior is a Kenai Fjords boat trip, on the water at least 6 hours. With you wanting to hike Flattop, do that your first day, IF the weather is favorable. You can be flexible with the Aviation Museum- very good- if interested, and the Native Heritage Center needs at least half a day- another gem.

I would also suggest you take a more open drive to Seward, put back your boat tour to the next day. There is so much to stop and see along the way. Potter's Marsh as mentioned above, but the Conservatory, Girdwood, Portage Glacier Visitor Center, Crow Creek Mine, stopping along the Arm etc etc .

After 2 nights in Seward, drive straight to Whittier. If a Prince William Sound tour is of interest, it's highly recommended by me. Alternatively you can spend the morning in Seward, enjoying some activities.

Day 1

pick up car

stay in Anchorage

Day 2

stay Anchorage

Day 3

stay Anchorage

Day 4

2.5 hour drive to Seward

stay night in Seward

Day 5

Lunch in Seward

stay night in Anchorage

Day 6

Date of Anchorage June 29-July 3

The Anchorage Zoo has a Zoo Keeper for a Day program.

http://alaskazoo.org/special-encounters

It is expensive but worth every cent. I did it with my granddaughter and it was wonderful. It was just the 2 of us one-on-one with several different zoo keepers.

We went into animal enclosures. We fed animals. The high point of the encounter is when we went walking with wolves. They take 2 wolves out for a walk outside of their enclosure on a leash every day. We obviously did not get to hold the leashes but we did get to interact with them.

Also, I would personally substitute the Anchorage Museum - https://www.anchoragemuseum.org/ - for the Native Heritage Center. I did not think much of the Heritage Center. However, the museum might not work for your child.

Another thing - you and your husband do not have to do everything together. When granddaughter and I did the zoo bit, my wife went off and did some stuff by herself. Perhaps you and your son can drop your husband off at the aviation museum which was very interesting while you do something with your son.

DON

DON

Edited by donaldsc

We went to Alaska last summer when my son had just turned 9. We did not make it to the aviation museum but we really enjoyed driving around lake hood. There is a small park where you can get really nice views of the float planes taking off and landing.

We did the Butte Hike that you mentioned in your other thread, but not flattop. We did enjoy the Butte.

The highlight of the entire trip (land + cruise) for my son was hiking on Matanuska Glacier with MICA guides. I know that is not on your itinerary, but it is a beautiful area and could be done as a day trip from Anchorage and was a very special "Alaska only" excursion.

He also really liked the mining ruins at the Hatcher Pass Historical Park. And the Hatcher pass area is really beautiful as well.

We wanted to go on the Kenai Fjords tour, but the weather was horrible so we spent the day in the SeaLife center instead. It was very nicely done. He also did his junior ranger badge at Exit Glacier because we did not take the cruise. If you are going to go to Seward, I would recommend making the trip up to Exit Glacier..you can get very close (but not onto) and see the river (and ice) flowing out of the glacier.

Mapleleaves put together very nice suggestions.

We also spent time in Girdwood, where we did a major hike but also the hand tram over the Gorge, which is fun, and the Wildlife conservation center was on our transfer to Whittier...we also enjoyed the tidal bore, which may or may not be happening on your dates. We did not go to Crow Creek Mine...we did our gold panning at the copper mine north of Vancouver before we started on the cruise.

If you do end up spending more time along the Seward Hwy/Turnagain Arm area the Turnagain Arm Trail at McHugh Creek and the Winner Creek Trail in Girdwood are nice hikes and much more family friendly than Flattop. Pulling yourself over the gorge in the hand tram at Winner Creek is a treat.

If you do end up spending more time along the Seward Hwy/Turnagain Arm area the Turnagain Arm Trail at McHugh Creek and the Winner Creek Trail in Girdwood are nice hikes and much more family friendly than Flattop. Pulling yourself over the gorge in the hand tram at Winner Creek is a treat.

How strenuous is the hand tram and if you decide not to cross that way, how long of a hike is it back? Thanks for your help!

Could you tell me how strenuous is the hand tram and if you decide not to cross that way, how long of a hike is it back? Thanks for your help!

Could you tell me how strenuous is the hand tram and if you decide not to cross that way, how long of a hike is it back? Thanks for your help!

It’s about 2.5 miles from Alyeska to the hand tram. I’ve never gone across to the Crow Creek side as transportation back becomes an issue. It does take a little effort to pull yourself across but its fine with two adults. If there are others standing on either side of the gorge they can help.

Depending on much you stop along the way it’s a 2-3 hour hike roundtrip. You could make it back from the tram in 45-60 minutes if you don’t lollygag.

Info about the trail in this link, as well as photos of the hand tram. Looks like it would take some effort to pull yourself across.

http://alaskahikesearch.com/hikes/winner-creek/#.VQCOgDo5CM_

More photos http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=winner+creek+tram+photos&qpvt=winner+creek+tram+photos&qpvt=winner+creek+tram+photos&FORM=IGRE

I did this hike- I believe my fourth time?, last year with my nephew. I would allow at least 3 hours. It isn't a marathon hike and you want time to stop and look. My nephew, who was 19, and yes, fit, and I had no problem with the hand tram, which we did by ourselves. I'm not "delicate" either and do have good- one sided strenght.

We did the shorter hike from the Crow Creek Road. I believe it was about 1 mile of level walking to the hand tram (and one mile back). Older reports state that you have to park at Crow Creek Mine (and possibly pay) for this way, but their a Chugach National Forest parking lot and the trailhead. I can't remember if there was a fee.

• 1 month later...

Great reading this thread. I am a solo parent travelling with my 10yo in September for the first time to Alaska. We have a few nights in Anchorage before we cruise from Whittier. I will follow with interest to see how you fared and any other suggestions.

I don't know if im brave enough to hire a car and drive myself, but I have a few months up my sleeve to nail our itinerary.

Happy travels.

I don't know if im brave enough to hire a car and drive myself, but I have a few months up my sleeve to nail our itinerary.

It's really quite easy to drive around in Alaska. The Hwys are only 2 lanes (except around anchorage and Fairbanks). Impossible to get lost. Granted, you will be driving on the other side of the road, which is something that most of us don't have to contend with.

The following video has several long shots of the Seward Hwy as you leave Anchorage and head south. It will hopefully put your mind at ease about driving.

http://www.alaska.org/videos/drive-south

BTW, there are lots of great videos in the alaskaorg library ... lots of sights activities and excursions from all over the state.

Day 4

2.5 hour drive to Seward

stay night in Seward

Day 5

Lunch in Seward

stay night in Anchorage

Day 6

This part makes no sense. You are going to drive to Seward, then drive back to Anchorage over ground that you have already covered on the way down. You stay overnight in Anchorage and take the train or bus covering the same ground for the third time to get to Whittier.

The better way although the drop off fee will be pricy is not togo back to Anchorage but drive directly from Seward to Whittier.

DON