Opinions on the booze cruises

Lakesregion

I'm not so sure that I think the free drinks cruises being offered are the right way for Cunard to keep up the standards. I wonder if the next step will be more activities around the pool which of course leads to the hairy leg contests such as are found on certain other lines. These can be rough particularly when they include the ladies.

I know there are several lines that offer in an all inclusive package free drinks 24/7. However, they seldom do heavy discounts off their already high prices so tend to attract a quieter crowd. Free drinks and low prices are asking for trouble in my opinion. Anyone else have a thought on this relatively new offer?

I'm not so sure that I think the free drinks cruises being offered are the right way for Cunard to keep up the standards. I wonder if the next step will be more activities around the pool which of course leads to the hairy leg contests such as are found on certain other lines. These can be rough particularly when they include the ladies.

I know there are several lines that offer in an all inclusive package free drinks 24/7. However, they seldom do heavy discounts off their already high prices so tend to attract a quieter crowd. Free drinks and low prices are asking for trouble in my opinion. Anyone else have a thought on this relatively new offer?

I think that you're about 30 years too late for the experience that you're yearning for.

The standards slipped years ago and this may actually be of help to those who tipple as they will be less likely to notice or care.

As the quality of the passenger goes down, the quality of service begins to wither away. Offering the beverage package gratis will begin to attract the demographic from other cruise lines. Many from Carnival emigrated to Celebrity to save some money on alcoholic beverages and I suspect the same will happen to Cunard.

For all we know, the college age party crowd will discover this as a cheap way to cross the Atlantic with free drinks, food and no requirement of transatlantic airfare in order to spend a week at Ibiza before hopping on a return crossing on Cunard or some other line.

Once enforcement of the dress code begins to slip, all hope is lost. On short cruises operated by Princess, enforcement was so spotty they removed the requirement for men to wear long pants and a shirt with a collar on Smart Casual evenings and instead allow for shorts and a t-shirt.

Edited by Cunard's Queen

Cunard's Queen is mistaken. We disembarked from the Island Princess a week ago and while on board, I saw a man turned away from the dining room because he was wearing shorts. They were elegant shorts, but they were not long trousers. He quietly agreed to change.

I can't say I saw any Tshirts in the dining room, either.

Cunard's Queen is mistaken. We disembarked from the Island Princess a week ago and while on board, I saw a man turned away from the dining room because he was wearing shorts. They were elegant shorts, but they were not long trousers. He quietly agreed to change.

I can't say I saw any Tshirts in the dining room, either.

As stated in my post, I specifically used the verbiage "short cruises." Even doing so, it appears not everyone was able to understand the integrity of the content posted. I assumed your specific cruise was not less than 5 days and upon research, determined it was most likely a Panama Canal cruise.

Shorts and t-shirts are allowed in the dining room on short cruises operated by Princess. A quick search on this message board will prove such information and I urge you to review this thread for further details: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2039674.

As research indicated, your cruise was not classified as a short cruise whereby you have the mistaken one confused.

ecab7f8cb7e8adc83b9e2c9795c0b841.png

I'm not so sure that I think the free drinks cruises being offered are the right way for Cunard to keep up the standards. ... Free drinks and low prices are asking for trouble in my opinion.
Hi Lakesregion,

I'm not sure I'm that concerned.

In the UK at least, this offer replaced a previous generous OBC offer (so amounts to a similar deal).

It has a limited period in which to book to take advantage (till the end of April).

It is not currently tied-in with overly generous discounting (as the ships are on the other side of the planet, there are no imminent mini-cruise sailings from Southampton with lots of empty berths that need filling with last-minute cut-price deals).

No doubt it will be replaced in time with another eye-catching deal for Cunard to promote. Some offers will appeal to some people, other deals carry incentives to book for other passengers. I know of one regular passenger who booked recently to get extra OBC, but who doesn't drink. So told me he wouldn't have been tempted to book now as "inclusive drinks" offers are wasted on him.

All best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn

A fine sailing day Cunarders!

Topical subject.

I am a Celebrity regular patron which has within the past year enjoyed the QM2 so very much. Looking forward to many more Cunard trips, love the traditional product offering!

Celebrity is ending their short (under 7 day) cruises which have been assigned to beloved Constellation for the past 2 years.

There is much speculation on the Celebrity boards as to why this business decision - since Celebrity deliberately chose to provide this "short" cruise offering two years ago when it had never done so in the past.

If you read some current threads on the Celebrity board right now regarding reviews from folks who were on the "spring break" 5 day cruises on "the Connie" it would appear that the guest experience was not the normal "modern luxury" that Celebrity toots all the time (although no one really knows what "modern luxury" really means!). My recent 14 day South America trip on Celebrity Infinity was not modern luxury.

Celebrity's decision to provide the "all in booze" option seems to influence the demeanour of individuals on these short cruises which really turn into "booze cruises" whether on spring break or over the winter season in the southern waters.

It seems quite logical that the less than 7 day trips attract a different crowd than longer trips. The young folk and people with limited vacation are most likely to book this product.

My opinion is that Cunard should not be involved in this product. It does not align with the image that Cunard seems to portray in their many brochures that arrive in my mail box.

This topic is not so much about the quality of the people, rather that the cruise lines should try harder to ensure their product offering is aligned with the patrons that are aligned with their image. I suspect that is why Celebrity is eliminating the under 7 days - too many cross overs from Carnival line.

When I spend money I require the service provider to provide exactly what they advertise. If there are specific instances where the "standard" product is not likely to occur - the service provider is obligated to state that "normal" product and services are not anticipated on voyage X, Y, Z.

I know that all companies are chasing the almighty dollar, but people are well informed today so these "lapses" are not excuseable.

There really is a tension between the cruisers who remember the "past" and the current trends in cruising on Celebrity and Cunard.

We are really blessed to be able to cruise - so this is really a small issue in the scheme of things.

Blessings to all

ABoatNerd

Topical subject.

I am a Celebrity regular patron which has within the past year enjoyed the QM2 so very much. Looking forward to many more Cunard trips, love the traditional product offering!

Celebrity is ending their short (under 7 day) cruises which have been assigned to beloved Constellation for the past 2 years.

There is much speculation on the Celebrity boards as to why this business decision - since Celebrity deliberately chose to provide this "short" cruise offering two years ago when it had never done so in the past.

If you read some current threads on the Celebrity board right now regarding reviews from folks who were on the "spring break" 5 day cruises on "the Connie" it would appear that the guest experience was not the normal "modern luxury" that Celebrity toots all the time (although no one really knows what "modern luxury" really means!). My recent 14 day South America trip on Celebrity Infinity was not modern luxury.

Celebrity's decision to provide the "all in booze" option seems to influence the demeanour of individuals on these short cruises which really turn into "booze cruises" whether on spring break or over the winter season in the southern waters.

It seems quite logical that the less than 7 day trips attract a different crowd than longer trips. The young folk and people with limited vacation are most likely to book this product.

My opinion is that Cunard should not be involved in this product. It does not align with the image that Cunard seems to portray in their many brochures that arrive in my mail box.

This topic is not so much about the quality of the people, rather that the cruise lines should try harder to ensure their product offering is aligned with the patrons that are aligned with their image. I suspect that is why Celebrity is eliminating the under 7 days - too many cross overs from Carnival line.

When I spend money I require the service provider to provide exactly what they advertise. If there are specific instances where the "standard" product is not likely to occur - the service provider is obligated to state that "normal" product and services are not anticipated on voyage X, Y, Z.

I know that all companies are chasing the almighty dollar, but people are well informed today so these "lapses" are not excuseable.

There really is a tension between the cruisers who remember the "past" and the current trends in cruising on Celebrity and Cunard.

We are really blessed to be able to cruise - so this is really a small issue in the scheme of things.

Blessings to all

ABoatNerd

Bravo

I am quite excited about this offer! Will Champagne be included? There is nothing I adore more than sipping the bubbly on a crossing while I people watch and enjoy the sun sparkling like diamonds on the water.

Pol Acker or something more drinkable?

Edited by Seago2

I am quite excited about this offer! Will Champagne be included? There is nothing I adore more than sipping the bubbly on a crossing while I people watch and enjoy the sun sparkling like diamonds on the water.

Hi bermudajane. I guess there are different offers, but the e-mail I received from Cunard this morning pertained to select voyages, new bookings only made between 16 March and 23 March. On that particular offering, Delamotte champagne by the glass is included for Grill suites only. (Neither Pol Acker nor any other champagne by the glass is included in other categories.) Cheers, -Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Topical subject.

Blessings to all

ABoatNerd

Hi ABoatNerd. Regarding short cruises: there have been very few short Cunard cruises r/t NY, the most notable being what was known as the Fourth of July cruise NY/Boston/Halifax/NY. Five days, premium fare, rarely discounted. Based on my experience, it never devolved to a 'booze cruise'. Lively, yes. Dress code embraced - absolutely.

Based on my personal experience, I believe that not all short cruises are the same. In fact, I remember when QM2 had a few short cruises, r/t NY to Princess Cay - four days, if I remember correctly. Good times:)

Thanks for the blessing. :)

Pax vobiscum,

Salacia

Hi ABoatNerd. Regarding short cruises: there have been very few short Cunard cruises r/t NY, the most notable being what was known as the Fourth of July cruise NY/Boston/Halifax/NY. Five days, premium fare, rarely discounted. Based on my experience, it never devolved to a 'booze cruise'. Lively, yes. Dress code embraced - absolutely.

Based on my personal experience, I believe that not all short cruises are the same. In fact, I remember when QM2 had a few short cruises, r/t NY to Princess Cay - four days, if I remember correctly. Good times:)

Thanks for the blessing. :)

Pax vobiscum,

Salacia

Have they ever offered a short cruise with complimentary alcohol? At first, with Celebrity, this idea was welcomed. Eventually it became publicized more, at which point many started to emigrate from their preferred cruise line to Celebrity. Soon Cunard's promotional activity will become as repetitive as Starwood's and will become "the thing to do." As popularity and bookings increase, it will occur more often.

I'm surprised Cunard visits Princess Cays on occasion as Princess Cays/Eleuthera is truly a waste of a port. Half Moon Cay is the most desirable of Carnival Corporation's private resort destinations.

Edited by Cunard's Queen

Have they ever offered a short cruise with complimentary alcohol? At first' date=' with Celebrity, this idea was welcomed. Eventually it became publicized more, at which point many started to emigrate from their preferred cruise line to Celebrity. Soon Cunard's promotional activity will become as repetitive as Starwood's and will become "the thing to do." As popularity and bookings increase, it will occur more often.

I'm surprised Cunard visits Princess Cays on occasion as Princess Cays/Eleuthera is truly a waste of a port. Half Moon Cay is the most desirable of Carnival Corporation's private resort destinations.[/quote']

Careful what you wish for with HMC, QC! I'm 0 for 4 on port calls there. I can testify that it's indeed beautiful but have only ever seen it from the ship. Notorious for missed port calls.

I don't think a free drinks package matters much. Look at NCL- faced with a choice of UDP, UBP or free gratuities it becomes clear that these things are of relatively equal dollar amount.

Careful what you wish for with HMC, QC! I'm 0 for 4 on port calls there. I can testify that it's indeed beautiful but have only ever seen it from the ship. Notorious for missed port calls.

I don't think a free drinks package matters much. Look at NCL- faced with a choice of UDP, UBP or free gratuities it becomes clear that these things are of relatively equal dollar amount.

I'm sorry that you never were able to make it there. I'd give up a guaranteed call at Princess Cays for a chance at Half Moon Cay. I'm 9 for 9 at Princess Cays and now only sometimes do I get off the ship. I'm 100% at my calls to HMC.

The beach at Princess Cays is less than stellar, full of rocks and nowhere near as nice as other cruise private resort destinations. Labadee is pretty nice, I might add.

NCL and Celebrity really are trying to push the complimentary alcohol packages which appears to be very profitable for them. Even Royal Caribbean had given it a try recently.

I received this email offer, and the voyage I have already booked was one of the included voyages; however the price was increased by $200 pp, so the free drinks & discounted fair isn't really quite true. More like same fare, just different discount. You either pay a little less up front or a little less on board, but either way, you pay :)