Queen Victoria skips Akaroa 16 March

Cunards Queen Victoria was supposed to be in Akaroa today but is berthed in Picton.

must have been a last minute change due to Cyclone Pam.

It will a lot more sheltered in there for them. Tomorrow they are in Wellington so thats only a short hop across Cook Strait.

k54bqq.jpg

I saw on a webcam site that Queen Victoria was in Picton and wondered about that. Thanks for the information. Have other ships berthed/anchored (?) there before? It certainly looks a pretty port.

I saw on a webcam site that Queen Victoria was in Picton and wondered about that. Thanks for the information. Have other ships berthed/anchored (?) there before? It certainly looks a pretty port.

Yes. Its a very popular port. It is the main terminal for the InterIsland ferries and cruise ships do call as well. Cruise ships have in the past been limited by size, but now they have a deep water wharf that was built for the log trade, so the big cruise ships can dock .

The cruise up the Marlborough Sounds is spectacular.

I was in Picton 2 weeks ago on the Voyager. It is a bustling busy port and I was amazing how busy it has become since my last visit 3 1/2 years ago. They provide a complimentary shuttle for cruise ship passengers into the town which is excellent. I found the shopkeepers to be very friendly.

I was in Picton 2 weeks ago on the Voyager. It is a bustling busy port and I was amazing how busy it has become since my last visit 3 1/2 years ago. They provide a complimentary shuttle for cruise ship passengers into the town which is excellent. I found the shopkeepers to be very friendly.

The souvenir shopping is excellent in Picton. They have a great selection of tourist gift shops and galleries. They are able to have them there as they have a constant daily flow of customers from the Interisland ferries. It is the main entry point to the South Island, apart from airports.

There were plans for a new port at Cloudy Bay which would have seen the demise of Picton, but that has now been shelved and the Govt have committed to Picton , so the business folk can now go ahead and plan for the future with confidence.

I think it will become a must see destination .

They are coming up to Cook Strait which can be very rough..

You're not wrong there, I've been on some shockers across Cook Strait - although I think the Cunard ships will handle the seas a LOT better than the Inter Islander ferries which are basically freight ferries with roll on roll off vehicles and rail stock - not for passenger comfort :eek:

You're not wrong there, I've been on some shockers across Cook Strait - although I think the Cunard ships will handle the seas a LOT better than the Inter Islander ferries which are basically freight ferries with roll on roll off vehicles and rail stock - not for passenger comfort :eek:

I suspect Queen Mary 2 will handle the rough seas better than Queen Victoria.