Navigator - dress code actually enforced!

I fully agree, and very well may receive tons of negative comments for saying this...HOWEVER! The whole dress code thing is just silly to me. Even sillier is the way some people take such personal offense to the way others dress.

I fully understand no swimsuits, no cover-ups, no bare feet, no cut offs, etc. But for wearing golf shorts and a golf shirt and be told you would be turned away because long pants are required??? In a tropical climate?? That would infuriate me.

You are hard pressed to find a restaurant on land that requires dress slacks for men...why are we expected to dress to the nines for a glorified Luby's? Nice jeans, nice golf shorts, even a nice v neck t shirt...they all look perfectly respectable on men (and women) if they are clean and neat.

And to be forced to eat at the Windjammer simply because you don't want to get dressed up to the nines for dinner...complete nonsense. I paid just as much for my vacation as you did...if not more...so those Sansabelt slacks don't make you any better than anyone else.

Infuriated??? "A nice V neck T-Shirt....give me a break, go eat in the windjammer!.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

To me this is similar to someone who gets pulled over by a police officer for speeding and says, "But officer, I speed through here every day and no one has ever pulled me over before!".

You know the rules.

You choose not to follow the rules.

You suffer the consequences when they are enforced.

You don't bring pants on vacation... only shorts? That sounds more like a Carnival cruiser to me... ;)

Yeah, and, so? They paid to be on vacation. Wearing something that is 12-24 inches shorter than down to your ankle, big deal. Doesn't hurt anyone. Doesn't cut into anyones wallet. It's such a trivial thing to get worked up over. It's not a health and safety issue. It's not something that costs others money. It's not something that's anyone elses business really. And it's downright silly to "require" long pants on a vacation to the Caribbean. Wear pants if you want to wear pants. Wear shorts if you want to wear shorts. If they want to drag "tradition" out until it it just beaten to a pulp, fine, require pants on formal nights. Other than that let people do what they want and it will end this ridiculous argument.
The sign says no shorts, flip flops or t-shirts......DUH:rolleyes:

Grow up and get over it. I vacation for my happiness. Not yours. And I think you should dress however pleases you and your company. And I will do similarly
Grow up and get over it! Sounds like good advice, huh! So when you go to the MDR in shorts and get turned away, you can start another thread and tell us how rude the Maitre'D was to you.....:rolleyes::rolleyes: Edited by Thetrail

I have been trying my best to wear shorts to dinner on Royal cruises. First, I went online to a phony accreditation site and had my shorts certified as "Emotional Support" shorts. It worked for a while, but I was eventually told that "Support" shorts really did not qualify and meet the standards. I am now in the process of finding a doctor that will certify them as "Service" shorts.

Just doing my best to keep this beaten horse thread going!

I did the same thing, showed the head server my letter, then my wife chimed in...."he has nothing in his shorts to support" and waved her pinkey finger in the air.

:(

You get the gold star for top ten dress code post EVER!

Why not just sail on a cruise line that has no suggested dress code? If that many people wanted a dumbed down cruise experience and voted with their pocketbook perhaps RCI would change the policy. Perhaps the suggested dress code is in place because most customers prefer it. I encourage the Walmart shoppers to shop at Walmart, leave Nordstoms to those who care about our appearances.
Love your post.......Zanelli trousers for the men....;)

It also says no saving seats. Double duh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what????? If I go to the theatre and you tell me you are saving a row of several seats, I would look and you, smile and sit in those seats....So whats your point:confused:

So what????? If I go to the theatre and you tell me you are saving a row of several seats, I would look and you, smile and sit in those seats....So whats your point:confused:

Does anyone remember the thread about the brawl on Freedom over saving seats. Fists broke out.

Hey trail-was that you??? :D:p

I think if Royal wants to keep their "no shorts" policy, they need to strictly enforce it on all the ships, and since I just don't see them doing that, why not change the policy?
Exactly

Of course, this entire thread is about the fact that apparently they ARE enforcing it more strongly recently, at least on one ship! [emoji106]

To me this is similar to someone who gets pulled over by a police officer for speeding and says, "But officer, I speed through here every day and no one has ever pulled me over before!".

You know the rules.

You choose not to follow the rules.

You suffer the consequences when they are enforced.

You don't bring pants on vacation... only shorts? That sounds more like a Carnival cruiser to me... ;)

I'd say the last paragraph is unnecessarily inflammatory, but the first two are right on!

Please post a link from RCCL that confirms shorts are acceptable for dinner.

Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

I have not brought a cocktail dress or pantsuit (don't even own one) since our first cruise. So I guess, I shouldn't be allowed in the MDR for dinner on Formal night, because based on what I wear, you would not know if it was a Smart Casual night or Formal.

Do I believe the wording should be changed -- yes. I am really not sure that "Formal nights" really exist -- if a man isn't wearing a tuxedo -- it isn't formal, IMO. And MANY men aren't even wearing suits. Maybe it should be changed and have 3 designations: "Casual", "Smart Casual" and "Dress Up". Then you could have Casual (on these nights shorts are permitted), Smart Casual and Dress Up. Dress up can be as formal as a tuxedo or as minimalistic as a man with a jacket; for a woman it could be almost anything dressier than casual. The interpretations will abound -- I am sure.

I am sure this would raise a eyebrows as well.

As I noted yesterday, last month on Allure we saw plenty of people in shorts in the MDR.

I didn't find anything about the MDR so over the top. The decor was nice. The food was alright. Service was...not great. It was actually pretty hectic feeling because of the amount of people and commotion. Other than noticing some people in shorts I wasn't bothered in the least. I don't know why anyone is bothered. I don't think the MDR on Allure qualifies as anything remotely approaching fine dining or a strict requirement of formalized dress code.

Also, unlike other lines I have been on, apparently Royal Caribbean the dress code ONLY applies to the dining room and many go back and change after dinner to be more comfortable in the evening. So it's all just a farce to sell photo sets as far as I can see.

Everyone, just do as you please and mind your own business and just be happy that you are healthy and wealthy enough to afford these types of vacations and don't waste so much energy or mental anguish over what others do.

If you're a nice person you are welcome at our table. Not only do I not care what the label inside your clothing says, I am not the least bit impressed. We will still have an enjoyable conversation.

Best-

Steve

as i noted yesterday, last month on allure we saw plenty of people in shorts in the mdr.

I didn't find anything about the mdr so over the top. The decor was nice. The food was alright. Service was...not great. It was actually pretty hectic feeling because of the amount of people and commotion. Other than noticing some people in shorts i wasn't bothered in the least. I don't know why anyone is bothered. I don't think the mdr on allure qualifies as anything remotely approaching fine dining or a strict requirement of formalized dress code.

Also, unlike other lines i have been on, apparently royal caribbean the dress code only applies to the dining room and many go back and change after dinner to be more comfortable in the evening. So it's all just a farce to sell photo sets as far as i can see.

Everyone, just do as you please and mind your own business and just be happy that you are healthy and wealthy enough to afford these types of vacations and don't waste so much energy or mental anguish over what others do.

If you're a nice person you are welcome at our table. Not only do i not care what the label inside your clothing says, i am not the least bit impressed. We will still have an enjoyable conversation.

Best-

steve

like!!

If you're a nice person you are welcome at our table. Not only do I not care what the label inside your clothing says, I am not the least bit impressed. We will still have an enjoyable conversation.

It's not about labels, it's about trying the bare minimum that's required. You can go to Target and buy a button down shirt and slacks for less than $35. I don't care if your wearing the height of couture - just that you care enough about your appearance and the experience of the cruise to try.