Navigator - dress code actually enforced!

I take one pair of long pants and wear a different shirt each night.

Would the OP be upset with the police if you have been driving 70 mph in a 55 mph zone and never had been stopped then one day on that same highway while driving 70 a cop pull you over and give you a ticket???? The posted speed limit is 55 and it does not matter if you have never been stopped before but this time you were and you are getting a ticket for driving over the posted speed.

It does not matter how many times you have been let in with shorts on but this time you are not being let in because you wearing something that goes against the posted code.

In both cases there is nothing you can really say or be upset about IMHO! :cool:

I suppose the dress code police here are made up of people who NEVER exceed the speed limit, NEVER jaywalk, cross the street on a red light, ALWAYS come to a complete stop at every stop sign.

Follow every rule to the letter. Never, you know, made a copy of some music for someone. Enjoyed some tunes that may not have been downloaded completely legally. Never ever.

It's ok we'll take your word for it.

I suppose the dress code police here are made up of people who NEVER exceed the speed limit, NEVER jaywalk, cross the street on a red light, ALWAYS come to a complete stop at every stop sign.

Follow every rule to the letter. Never, you know, made a copy of some music for someone. Enjoyed some tunes that may not have been downloaded completely legally. Never ever.

It's ok we'll take your word for it.

I think tominNC is missing the point. Anyone can break the rules all they want. (if that's what they chose to do) but you can hardly be upset if one day you get caught? So maybe it's the speeding ticket you got.. maybe it's finally being told your lack of following the dress code simply is unacceptable tonight. It's public knowledge the dress code and I guess the speed limit for that matter. But if you chose to break the rules, and one day you get caught??? you cant all of a sudden act surprised????????

Please define "dress properly". By whose standards are we to be measured? :confused:

HI cruise tobey by dress properly I mean "follow the dress guidelines as posted by RCCL"

Its common knowledge. If it says shorts and sandals are not permitted in the dining room, then have enough class to not wear them. Don't be a renegade or a rebel... Just do it.

Edited by TheTruthCanHurt

I am sure that someone has probably posted this already. But this is the verbiage posted directly on the RCCL website. it's pretty cut and dry. unless you just want to keep complaining that it's not fair and you are going to do what you want. LOL

For formal nights you'll need cocktail dresses for women, suits and ties - or tuxedos - for men. And for the smart casual nights bring dresses or pantsuit for women, jackets for men. Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner.

Royal2464 you are totally correct.

Prior to the cruise the OP was aware of the policy, and there even is a sign at the MDR entrance, and still ignored.

What an awful society we live in that people behave like this.

Does she think she is a Victim and the Cruise Line is wrong ?

Truly awful behavior by the OP and her Family.

Can you imagine what the Kids will grow up to be like ?

I can imagine your kids got out of the house as soon as possible also.

I think tominNC is missing the point. Anyone can break the rules all they want. (if that's what they chose to do) but you can hardly be upset if one day you get caught? So maybe it's the speeding ticket you got.. maybe it's finally being told your lack of following the dress code simply is unacceptable tonight. It's public knowledge the dress code and I guess the speed limit for that matter. But if you chose to break the rules, and one day you get caught??? you cant all of a sudden act surprised????????

Exactly!

ITS SUGGESTED NOT MANDATORY...get a dictionary app and look it up...

yes while it says suits or tuxes are suggested. You seem to be overlooking the part that says "shorts sandals, etc.. are not permitted for dinner"

and it seems to be this "shorts" thing driving the angry posters.

actually let me correct myself. The actual verbiage is

"Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner."

so I guess now we can argue the definition of the word "appropriate" LOL

I don't think anyone is going to 100% agree because their will always be the faction that follows the guidelines and there will always be the "self entitled" ones that figure they can do what they want and if someone doesn't like it well that's just too bad.

I for one would rather adhere to the guidelines, have the cruise staff treat me with respect, and have people not talk about me and point at me in the dining room for my lack of "appropriateness. :)

"no animals were harmed in the making of this reply. Offer not available in stores, feel free to dress inappropriately and order 3 entrees. " HAPPY SAILING

ITS SUGGESTED NOT MANDATORY...get a dictionary app and look it up...

First, I would prefer to wear good shorts to dinner on non-formal nights. That said, I have sailed two RCI ships that made it MANDATORY to wear pants to dinner. Both were either Bahama/Caribbean cruises. So it didn't matter if the wording said suggested; you didn't get in without pants. I had to change clothes and return to the dining room.

This isn't me agreeing or disagreeing; it is a statement of fact of what occurred.

First, I would prefer to wear good shorts to dinner on non-formal nights. That said, I have sailed two RCI ships that made it MANDATORY to wear pants to dinner. Both were either Bahama/Caribbean cruises. So it didn't matter if the wording said suggested; you didn't get in without pants. I had to change clothes and return to the dining room.

This isn't me agreeing or disagreeing; it is a statement of fact of what occurred.

yes Natty,

I would prefer on some night to wear shorts as well (dress shorts) but that's not considered appropriate attire so I don't. Anzore is picking the wrong sentence out of the rules to use as his argument.

So I guess you have a Flintstones Guide to Clothes too? Or whatever the other poster was going on about

Flintstones? I was agreeing with you why should you care what others are wearing. If men are wearing shorts, I was just pointing out that when they are seated it's not like you are staring at their legs through dinner;) so how long these shorts /pants are doesn't matter to me.

Clean and tidy any day of the week. Boarding day is about being relaxed and comfortable.

On a side note

What I don't get is why on casual nights (not formal but casual which first night is) why people get so irritated by men in shorts. I have seen plenty of women who wear skirts so short they have to keep pulling them down. It's not like the men are wearing shorts that short:eek:

Men wear pants to work all day. That, to me is smart casual to smart depending on type of pants, it is not even close to casual. .A Suit is formal. It's not like men have as many choices as women ie skirts, shorts, capris, pants, dresses etc. I would have zero problem with men in restaurant with appropriate length shorts. Who is it hurting?

I am a woman and I don't go on a cruise to feel like I have to wear business attire to please everyone. Why should men? (P.S. Not saying if a man wants to dress up he can't)

Edited by Spurschick

Flintstones? I was agreeing with you why should you care what others are wearing. If men are wearing shorts, I was just pointing out that when they are seated it's not like you are staring at their legs through dinner;) so how long these shorts /pants are doesn't matter to me.

Clean and tidy any day of the week. Boarding day is about being relaxed and comfortable.

On a side note

What I don't get is why on casual nights (not formal but casual which first night is) why people get so irritated by men in shorts. I have seen plenty of women who wear skirts so short they have to keep pulling them down. It's not like the men are wearing shorts that short:eek:

Men wear pants to work all day. That, to me is smart casual to smart depending on type of pants, it is not even close to casual. .A Suit is formal. It's not like men have as many choices as women ie skirts, shorts, capris, pants, dresses etc. I would have zero problem with men in restaurant with appropriate length shorts. Who is it hurting?

I am a woman and I don't go on a cruise to feel like I have to wear business attire to please everyone. Why should men? (P.S. Not saying if a man wants to dress up he can't)

I completely agree with you. but "at this moment" RCCL has deemed that shorts are not appropriate. Maybe as cruising becomes more and more relaxed they will change that. Or maybe with dynamic dining it will change. We should not forget that it was not that long ago that all dining rooms on all cruise ships were coat and tie every night.

Sorry if this has previously been asked in this thread (or seems slightly off topic), but are jeans in the "pants" realm with RCI? Or are those too casual?

One night on Grandeur (they were enforcing the policy), I had to wear jeans while I had two pairs of pants being pressed. They were not questioned, but I did feel a bit out of place.

Now I don't state this as a generality; it's what I experienced on that ship. The age demographic was skewed older on this cruise - my age!

Again, I know that some ships allow shorts; I have worn shorts on 1/2 of my RCI cruises. But I came prepared to all of them for the dress code being enforced.

I knew about the no shorts policy, but are the strictly enforcing the formal night where men MUST have a suit/tux on? Last time we cruised we were told that as long as the hubby had slacks, nice shirt and a tie, that it was ok to be in the MDR on formal nights.

I completely agree with you. but "at this moment" RCCL has deemed that shorts are not appropriate. Maybe as cruising becomes more and more relaxed they will change that. Or maybe with dynamic dining it will change. We should not forget that it was not that long ago that all dining rooms on all cruise ships were coat and tie every night.

I know and appreciate that. But some of the posts complaining a man wore shorts first night. What if they didn't have their luggage.? What if their pants were creased from travelling? Give the guy a break first night;)

I knew about the no shorts policy, but are the strictly enforcing the formal night where men MUST have a suit/tux on? Last time we cruised we were told that as long as the hubby had slacks, nice shirt and a tie, that it was ok to be in the MDR on formal nights.

I think that's because they say "suit and tie" are suggested. but shorts are NOT considered appropriate.

I know and appreciate that. But some of the posts complaining a man wore shorts first night. What if they didn't have their luggage.? What if their pants were creased from travelling? Give the guy a break first night;)

yes. I completely agree. this first night is open season. I don't think anyone would argue that point... In many cases if you have a 5:30 dinner I have seen people not even get their luggage until after that time.

Exactly!

Not exactly.

The arbiters of fashion are talking down to people as if it somehow impacts them if someone wears shorts to dinner. Yet I'm sure the same people bend whatever rules they like when it suits them.

yes. I completely agree. this first night is open season. I don't think anyone would argue that point... In many cases if you have a 5:30 dinner I have seen people not even get their luggage until after that time.

Exactly. I don't know if you have read all the posts but some are telling the op she should be embarrassed that her DH wore shorts the first night and what part of the dress code didn't they understand:rolleyes: unfortunately some people don't get that first night is a little different;) and that op isn't complaining about the rules, just noting they will be adhered to!!!!

Edited by Spurschick

Not exactly.

The arbiters of fashion are talking down to people as if it somehow impacts them if someone wears shorts to dinner. Yet I'm sure the same people bend whatever rules they like when it suits them.

Again, I like wearing shorts to dinner on casual nights. If it is a warm weather cruise it is my preference. But I have cruised on a line that allow shorts across the board. As this thread has spoken of neat, tasteful shorts, the shorts that appeared on the rival line included tattered basketball shorts on males accompanied by the matching basketball jersey, armpit hair flowing gloriously, to what looked very much like hot pink grandma underwear (uncovered) with ruffles on a young woman. Should people be comfortable with this at dinner?

Hypothetically, is it okay to push the wearing of shorts to that level of informality? Do those who wear shorts then become arbiters of fashion if the "informality" becomes outrageous? And for all who say that what others wear should not affect the enjoyment of a meal, is there a point where it actually does? Does anything go? And don't envision it as a diner across the room, imagine it assigned at your table.

I'm not taking a side in this ever-increasingly venomous argument, I'm just wondering if everyone draws an unacceptable line at some point.

We are on board Navigator this week. There's a sign as you walk in to the main dining room stating no shorts, tank tops or bare feet are allowed in the dining room. We figured that was directed at the spring break college kids but after dinner the first night our server told us that if my husband showed up in shorts again that he would be turned away. I'm glad they are enforcing the dress code but they really should tell people before they are already packed and on the ship. In 5 cruises out of Galveston, this is the first time they are enforcing it.

I find it interesting that you felt the dress code notice only applied to other people (spring break college kids) and not to your husband.