The Dawn

mvrck1010

Hi,

My wife and I got back from the Breakaway in early March. We had a great time! It was only the two of us, but we have 4 teenagers. We booked the Dawn for 2016 out of Boston, due to the proximity to our home. We are hoping that there is enough to do to keep the 18, 17, and two 15 year olds (ages when we will be cruising). Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks!

If I could go back in time, I'd switch it up for you so that the 2 of you cruised on the Dawn and the whole family was scheduled to cruise on the Breakaway. I'm not disparaging the Dawn - I've cruised her 3 times - but I know there are more activities and things for your teenagers to do in general on the Breakaway than there is on the Dawn. There is nothing even close to the Breakaway Aqua Park and Sports Complex on the Dawn.

If I could go back in time, I'd switch it up for you so that the 2 of you cruised on the Dawn and the whole family was scheduled to cruise on the Breakaway. I'm not disparaging the Dawn - I've cruised her 3 times - but I know there are more activities and things for your teenagers to do in general on the Breakaway than there is on the Dawn. There is nothing even close to the Breakaway Aqua Park and Sports Complex on the Dawn.

I agree. I spent 16 nights on the Dawn and I had a lovely time. But my cruise consisted of long visits to the thermal suite, the atrium for coffee and music, and the martini bar. Dawn is not an ideal ship for teenagers in terms of activities. Breakaway would be a much better choice.

On a positive note, if the kids haven't cruised on a mega ship, they don't know what they're missing!

I brought two teens on the Gem, that has a similar layout to the Dawn, and they had a great time!

My DD met friends at the teen club every day and then went off to do the club activities or go swimming, tanning, out to lunch, karaoke, etc. My friends DS chose to hang out with us more but he still had a great time playing basketball, going to the arcade, karaoke. Everyone went to the family White Party in Spiniker and we all had a blast. And don't forget about your port day adventures. [emoji4]

Agree with above poster, it is all about expectation. You are fortunate that the kids did not go on the glitzy new ship. They will have a blast, and have plenty to do, providing you don't continually remind them of the plethora of activities available on your prior mega-ship experience. DW and I have sailed both ships and actually prefer the smaller ship vibe.

And remember, there was a day when the Dawn was the new mega-ship and enjoyed the same buzz/hype/popularity as today's new ships.

Edited by fishin' musician

We sailed on the Dawn with two different experiences: Just my DH and I, as well as with our friends and our DD. We enjoyed the Dawn with just the two of us.

But when we went with our friends and DD it was a blast. Our DD is in her 20's and stayed with three other people in the same age group. We all enjoyed trivia and karaoke. They went out at night and enjoyed the nightlife later in the evening. There were MANY young people enjoying the karaoke and it was a very receptive crowd. EVERYONE applauded the young participants and it was a very welcoming crowd. We felt the ship was not crowded and had enough activities for all ages. IN FACT, I recently asked the "youngsters" in their 20's if they would sail the Dawn again, ad they all concurred and said the Dawn was a blast!

The convenience of sailing from a port close to home is not easily to be overlooked. I am quite certain your family would have a lot of fun on he Dawn!

We sailed the Dawn with our Daughter and her friend, both 18. Our daughter sailed the Leeward when she was 3, Enchantment Of The Seas when she was 6, Disney Wonder when she was 11, and Majesty Of The Seas when she was 16, so she had plenty to compare to. Her friend had never cruised before.

Both girls had plenty to do and thoroughly enjoyed the ship, and would definitely do it again.

If your kids don't have anything to compare to, they should be quite happy.

• 2 months later...
Agree with above poster' date=' it is all about expectation. You are fortunate that the kids did not go on the glitzy new ship. They will have a blast, and have plenty to do, providing you don't continually remind them of the plethora of activities available on your prior mega-ship experience. DW and I have sailed both ships and actually prefer the smaller ship vibe.

And remember, there was a day when the Dawn was the new mega-ship and enjoyed the same buzz/hype/popularity as today's new ships.[/quote']

Our first (and only up to this point cruise) was about 12 years ago on the Norwegian Sea. At that time it was an older ship (about 42-44 tons disp vs the large RCL at the time pf a bit over 100. We were in a port- I think Cozumel, next to the Dawn, which was the newest NCL ship at the time. I remember being on the pool deck and looking over into balcony cabins as the Dawn was so much larger.

Now the Dawn is considerably smaller, less advanced than the "away" class ships.

Funny thing is our upcoming cruise at Thanksgiving will be on the Dawn...No not for nostalgia- rather the SJ cat family suite (we are a family of 5)...By far the best "test run" I could find before a more serious outlay for a potential Alaskian cruise

I have to admit I am in awe of the mega ships. That said, I love the DAWN sailed her 3 times. Always a great time. Our 21 year old son had a great time on her even though it was small compared to everyother ship he has been on. Infact we are boarding her in a few hours and son is bringing his GF.

Are you going to Bermuda? It could be a bit tough to find things to do for that age group on the Dawn but if you are going to Bermuda at least you can plan on plenty of fun things to do there.

There is a club on the Dawn just for teenagers (it's on deck 13 I think, next to the arcade.) Other than that, with trivia, and the other activities, I don't think that they'll be bored.

When we took our twins on the Norwegian Jewel, they were age 14 at the time. The Jewel is similar to the Dawn, and as someone else pointed out, the Gem.

They spent a lot of time in the Teen Club, made a lot of friends, and had a blast just being teenagers. So I wouldn't worry that it is not the newest ship. Your kids will make their own fun.

When we took our twins on the Norwegian Jewel, they were age 14 at the time. The Jewel is similar to the Dawn, and as someone else pointed out, the Gem.

They spent a lot of time in the Teen Club, made a lot of friends, and had a blast just being teenagers. So I wouldn't worry that it is not the newest ship. Your kids will make their own fun.

I agree with this. My 14DD has yet to be on the mega ships and she makes friends, goes and gets ice cream with them, does Karaoke, hangs out by the pool, I barely see her on the ship!! Lol