Sightseeing from on board

simonpjd

In the Caribbean a lot of the ports are very close together. On Adonias last cruise often we sailed at teatime with the next port under 100 miles away. This was true a couple of times even when the next day was a sea day.

So a perfect chance for a bit of sightseeing and sailing around other islands to give us all something to look at.

But not a bit of it. We headed out to sea and no land seen until arrival at next port.

My question is... Is this the captain being a spoilsport and not wanting to show us the sights, or maybe, after the Costa accident, P&O have given instructions for their captains to take absolutely no chances and head away from land. If so this is a shame. Any navigator worth his salt can set courses to give us pax some nice views with zero risk.

In the Caribbean a lot of the ports are very close together. On Adonias last cruise often we sailed at teatime with the next port under 100 miles away. This was true a couple of times even when the next day was a sea day.

So a perfect chance for a bit of sightseeing and sailing around other islands to give us all something to look at.

But not a bit of it. We headed out to sea and no land seen until arrival at next port.

My question is... Is this the captain being a spoilsport and not wanting to show us the sights, or maybe, after the Costa accident, P&O have given instructions for their captains to take absolutely no chances and head away from land. If so this is a shame. Any navigator woerth his salt can set courses to give us pax some nice views with zero risk.

What is an even bigger shame is that they don't actually visit another island on such itineraries. I know it saves costs reducing port days but I'd rather pay a bit more than spend 36 hours or so sailing between the likes of Barbados and Grenada with the ship going so slowly the ship seemed almost to have stopped!

I think if P&O tweaked their itineraries especially in the Caribbean to provide an extra port of call per week they would make their cruises more attractive, therefore improving sales and not have to drop prices so much. It may even prove cost effective! I'd be very interested to see what would happen if they did. Of course the bean counters will rule the day though.

Edited by kruzseeka