Booking an ADA Cabin

Bfson

Personally I think the cruise line should ask two questions.

1. Do you have a disability?

2. What type of accommodation do you need?

Then apply that need across the entire cruise. In other words if they claim they need a shower bench they can't suddenly be able bodied enough to take a zip line excursion.

Agree. That reminds me of years ago when Southwest's boarding was truly a cattle-call (get there super early to camp at the podium to get a colored boarding card, then no attention was paid to the order in which you boarded as long as you were with your color) and the flights to Orlando and Las Vegan in particular had this highly disproportionate number of people with the "I need to board early" sleeves because there was really no requirement and if you even looked like you were limping you got offered one. (As far as the slight limping I know - my foot was asleep once after sitting for a while to wait for the podium to open and I was limping when I got to the counter and the gate agent offered me one - which I refused. And as for what follows, a co-worker's boyfriend was a flight attendant and he worked both of those routes regularly) The flight attendants began noticing a trend that all the people with the sleeves would a) completely fill up the front of the plane and b) BOLT out the door as soon as it was opened. After enough complaints and observations, they officially studied it and began being much more restrictive - at one time if you claimed you needed early boarding, you were seated in a certain area and had to wait for the ground assistance people to get there to disembark. Now they're in line with all the other airlines in terms of numbers of people requiring early boarding so that it generally truly is people who need it.

OK, but....my daughter has a disease that is commonly referred to as a "hidden disability." If you saw her, you probably wouldn't identify anything as "wrong," mostly because you don't know what to look for. Add to that the fact that she is 24 years old and makes a serious attempt to hide her problems. You cannot see that inside her boots, she has custom orthotics and ankle supports (this combination means that she can walk short to medium distances). She uses a wheelchair for any long distances--airports, cruise terminal, etc. She can dislocate ANY joint at any moment because her tendons are defective, but YOU can't see supportive clothing that improves her function. You can't see that her balance is severely affected requiring grab bars and a shower seat. You can't see that she has 2 types of scoliosis and a Chiari malformation, and know how these affect balance and mobility. You don't know that she can't maintain her balance to step into a tub, making a walk in shower an essential.

No, the general population sees a 24 year old "healthy" kid...and has no idea that this is a progressive, degenerative disease...that her sophomore year of college she took a dance class for a PE credit but that by her senior year, she was falling when walking down stairs. And that she is doing EVERYTHING in her power to prevent you from seeing her problems.

No, she won't be on a zip line excursion. But on a good day, she might be walking (using an elevator) to get to the restaurant rather than going in a wheelchair. And that's in part because she knows that as this disease progresses, someday she won't be able to be out of that wheelchair at all. And on a bad day, it might take all she can do to get to the dining room in the wheelchair! And a year ago (after cruising DCL since 1998), the HA cabin became a necessity. We actually had a cruise booked, well within the penalty period when she had an exacerbation--we bluntly told DCL that she needed the HA cabin or we would cancel the cruise and use our travel insurance provisions to recoup what we could.

Please keep in mind that the casual observer can't see everything. Yes, we know people abuse the system...but it is so very hurtful to have another guest challenge her need for the HA cabin (it happened on DCL)...to have the guest assist person in the airport question why the wheelchair is needed (that happened at JFK). I'll always be appreciative of the young lady in the next HA cabin who took the time to approach my daughter and say that the jerk had no right to say what she'd overheard.

Moki's, I wasn't saying that it should be challenged but rather those questions should be asked and anyone who needs a ADA room for any reason needs to be prevented from taking part in any sort of shore excursion or on board activity where any sort of physical problem would preclude them from safely joining. Basically I'm saying that people can't have their cake and eat it too. It seems that "cheaters" would quickly have miracle cures if this was explained to them during the booking process.

One question--I'm assuming that there are rooms equipped for hearing and vision impaired cruisers that are not actual "handicap" cabins... right? I have a friend who is profoundly hard of hearing and runs marathons. He has no need for any sort of accessible cabin, but does need some minor accommodation including a strobe smoke detector and doorbell and adaptive telephone. Those are all pretty much "portable" items that can be set up for any stateroom though. I know he'd be upset if his only option for those items would be a cabin for someone with mobility issues.

Edited by ducklite

FYI--ONLY DOGS are included under the ADA. There is no inclusion for horses or monkeys. The law only addresses SERVICE dogs and not emotional support animals of any type, including dogs.

I believe the ADA reg's were revised with an addition to also deem trained miniature horses as Service Animals:

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

ex techie

Moki's, I wasn't saying that it should be challenged but rather those questions should be asked and anyone who needs a ADA room for any reason needs to be prevented from taking part in any sort of shore excursion or on board activity where any sort of physical problem would preclude them from safely joining. Basically I'm saying that people can't have their cake and eat it too. It seems that "cheaters" would quickly have miracle cures if this was explained to them during the booking process.

One question--I'm assuming that there are rooms equipped for hearing and vision impaired cruisers that are not actual "handicap" cabins... right? I have a friend who is profoundly hard of hearing and runs marathons. He has no need for any sort of accessible cabin, but does need some minor accommodation including a strobe smoke detector and doorbell and adaptive telephone. Those are all pretty much "portable" items that can be set up for any stateroom though. I know he'd be upset if his only option for those items would be a cabin for someone with mobility issues.

They used to be able to switch out the smoke detector for one that has an integrated strobe light built in. The telephone can also be switched out for a adoptive version as well. I'm sure they can install a doorbell, not sure how, but they must have done it before.

ex techie

I'm sorry but why should my mother have to supply personal, medical information to a cruiseline to secure her accessible cabin?

The first time we sailed with DCL, we had to have the form signed by the doctor (cost us $10 for that signature). The next times we've sailed with DCL, Carnival, Royal and Celebrity, we've just been able to check a box on the website that says we need an accessible cabin and then complete a form that says what medical devices we're bringing and what their dimensions are.

Why would I want a cruiseline employee to have the final say if my mother is disabled "enough" to qualify for an accessible cabin?

Yes, it sucks that there are dishonest people out there who abuse the system but why make the system harder and make people who are disabled, jump through hoops just to get a cabin.

Perhaps everyone should have to fill out the form and get the doctor's signature saying they're not disabled, to be assigned a regular stateroom?

I didn't mean you would have to provide specific medical conditions, only that XYZ person requires a bathroom that is step free, has hand rails etc and to a cruise line appointed medical professional, not a booking CM in a call center.

I would think you would want the ability to book a HA Stateroom for your Mother over someone say with claustrophobia using the ADA non disclosure as a reason?

It also needn't be a massive procedure. The booking page could just provide an email link for you to send to your Doc for them to log in and provide their agreement that it is required, and their contact details for any follow up necessary.

With the way today's society is becoming more and more entitled and selfish, I think booking a HA Stateroom may become more and more of a challenge as those entitled people abuse the system as and when it suits them.

ex techie

I know there is a "retrofit" that is easily installed in the cabin for the deaf or hard of hearing. It works best if requested in advance as then it can be installed in the cabin during the turnover. And yes, it works in the standard sized cabins.

I know part of this because the TTY didn't work in the cabin of a deaf couple we met while cruising. Also, DCL designates certain cruises as having a team of interpreters on board. If a guest needs their services on another cruise, a serious effort is made to obtain one of the teams that DCL commonly uses. I've never heard of them NOT being able to get the interpreters when needed.

I know there is a "retrofit" that is easily installed in the cabin for the deaf or hard of hearing. It works best if requested in advance as then it can be installed in the cabin during the turnover. And yes' date=' it works in the standard sized cabins.

I know part of this because the TTY didn't work in the cabin of a deaf couple we met while cruising. Also, DCL designates certain cruises as having a team of interpreters on board. If a guest needs their services on another cruise, a serious effort is made to obtain one of the teams that DCL commonly uses. I've never heard of them NOT being able to get the interpreters when needed.[/quote']

Great info--thanks!

There is not a lot of difference between the British disability laws and the US laws. The biggest "non-difference" we've found is that both grandfather existing structures unless they undergo major renovations. The problem is that in the UK' date=' MOST of the buildings are old and a lot are therefore grandfathered while in the US most buildings except private homes are accessible by virtue of being either newer construction or remodeled.

As to the ships....I don't know what caused the change between our 2009 cruise and one a year later. In 2009, a guest requesting an HA room did have to submit documentation stating that it was necessary. It didn't have to say why, just that it was needed. We were told that once the documentation had been done for a given individual, it would be noted in their file and would not need to be repeated in future cruises. I don't know what was considered acceptable, but my friend submitted a doctor's note when she cruised with us. And then in 2010, they quit asking for any proof of need.[/quote']

U.S. patient privacy HIPPA Laws made it very difficult for private companies to ask about medical conditions when screening for disabled access to public accomodations. There's a debate raging about WDW's new Disability Assistance Pass and the changes brought about as Disney tries to accomodate guests, reduce abuse and still comply with the law.

Edited by Host Mick

I personally think good on Disney for standing up to the scum, yes scum people that chose to abuse the processes put in place to provide appropriate and reasonable accommodation to those that actually need it, and abuse it for their own self importance and selfishness.

It must be costing them a ton of money each and every day this goes on, and hopefully Disney's bank balance and lawyers will win.

Those helicopter parents with special snowflakes will fade away to just the malls after their selfishness and entitlement is proven.

ex techie

Those helicopter parents with special snowflakes will fade away to just the malls after their selfishness and entitlement is proven.

ex techie

WDW's new disability policy makes autism and all its associated syndromes a special category with special allowances. Actually it is more the wheelchairs/scooters/and other disabilities that are sometimes hurt by the new policies. Yes, I realize it was a response to the abuses that were regularly occurring...but from the other side, WDW was amazing.

And I'm sorry, but even if an attraction is accessible up to the point of boarding the ride, it is a major pain to control a wheelchair or scooter thru all those turns in the lines....especially when someone's little darling can't wait his turn and is climbing in front of you.

WDW's new disability policy makes autism and all its associated syndromes a special category with special allowances. Actually it is more the wheelchairs/scooters/and other disabilities that are sometimes hurt by the new policies. Yes' date=' I realize it was a response to the abuses that were regularly occurring...but from the other side, WDW was amazing.

And I'm sorry, but even if an attraction is accessible up to the point of boarding the ride, it is a major pain to control a wheelchair or scooter thru all those turns in the lines....especially when someone's little darling can't wait his turn and is climbing in front of you.[/quote']

I agree. And those parents that feed their kids junk food and surgery Sh8t drinks like Sunny D and chocolate milk instead of water or plain milk all day, and think they have ADHD....... Nope. Poor parenting choices.

The world is really going crap with "these" parents being accommodated with their own bad behavior.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

I agree. And those parents that feed their kids junk food and surgery Sh8t drinks like Sunny D and chocolate milk instead of water or plain milk all day, and think they have ADHD....... Nope. Poor parenting choices.

The world is really going crap with "these" parents being accommodated with their own bad behavior.

ex techie

FYI--There are some kids with ADHD who never get a drop of soda or sugar filled drinks and eat an organic diet on top of it.

FYI--There are some kids with ADHD who never get a drop of soda or sugar filled drinks and eat an organic diet on top of it.

That wasn't what I was saying.

I'm sure the vast majority of kids with actual ADHD will have a healthy no sugar diet.

ex techie

That wasn't what I was saying.

I'm sure the vast majority of kids with actual ADHD will have a healthy no sugar diet.

ex techie

FYI--it's almost impossible to have no sugar in a healthy diet. Lactose, fructose, and glucose are found in all milks, fruits, and most vegetables at least in some quantity. Additionally it is found in most bread products--even the whole grain types--as yeast needs sugar to do its thing.

FYI--it's almost impossible to have no sugar in a healthy diet. Lactose, fructose, and glucose are found in all milks, fruits, and most vegetables at least in some quantity. Additionally it is found in most bread products--even the whole grain types--as yeast needs sugar to do its thing.

Big difference between naturally occurring sugars in fruits, vegetables or milk and refined sugars added in large quantities to some foods and drinks.

You know what I meant, so please stop.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

• 2 weeks later...

First before I am flamed, I have completed the forms DCL previously used and am in a career which is corner-stoned on advocacy.

I have a physical disability and use a power wheelchair among other small room accommodations and DCL has always gone out of their way to be accommodating.

Due to the limited number of rooms available, I have no problem "verifying" the accommodations I need and if the practice ensured that the accessible rooms were used as intended I would fill one out every time we cruise.

I did not see the forms as offensive but an attempt to find a way to be respectful to all - sadly for DCL an un-winnable position.

Well said in the above post.

I totally agree...as I think most of us with a legitimate situation do. When we travel, I carry a 4 page letter documenting my daughter's condition, medications, etc. Yes, this letter is slightly out of date now, but it does provide proof beyond the original bottles should anyone question the meds or need for assistance. I also carry an up to date medical history for her. OK, call me a hyper mom, but I'd rather have complete information than need something I didn't have.

And I'm sorry' date=' but even if an attraction is accessible up to the point of boarding the ride, it is a major pain to control a wheelchair or scooter thru all those turns in the lines....especially when someone's little darling can't wait his turn and is climbing in front of you.[/quote']

This is so true. I injured my foot the day before a WDW trip a few years ago and had to have crutches. I had to have a wheelchair through the airports and we ended up renting a scooter from an outside company while at WDW.

For Space Mountain you have to use a provided wheelchair instead of a scooter through the line. There was no way I could have hopped up and down that line. My poor 10 year old daughter could not push me uphill at any reasonable pace. Luckily another guest took pity on us and pushed me uphill whenever necessary.

This is so true. I injured my foot the day before a WDW trip a few years ago and had to have crutches. I had to have a wheelchair through the airports and we ended up renting a scooter from an outside company while at WDW.

For Space Mountain you have to use a provided wheelchair instead of a scooter through the line. There was no way I could have hopped up and down that line. My poor 10 year old daughter could not push me uphill at any reasonable pace. Luckily another guest took pity on us and pushed me uphill whenever necessary.

Several rides have this issue--another is Pirates of the Caribbean. At least they allowed us to use the fastpass line with the wheelchair on that one. Scooter must stay outside.

Scooter rental at WDW $55 per day and cannot leave park. 2014 outside company $34 per day less 10% discount or $189 per week less 10% and it goes anywhere. She couldn't have survived getting to and from the parks without it.

First before I am flamed, I have completed the forms DCL previously used and am in a career which is corner-stoned on advocacy.

I have a physical disability and use a power wheelchair among other small room accommodations and DCL has always gone out of their way to be accommodating.

Due to the limited number of rooms available, I have no problem "verifying" the accommodations I need and if the practice ensured that the accessible rooms were used as intended I would fill one out every time we cruise.

I did not see the forms as offensive but an attempt to find a way to be respectful to all - sadly for DCL an un-winnable position.

Love your attitude to this mmowl!

Unfortunately people self regulating their actions just does not work, you and those that need HA rooms the most actually get them is what should happen!

ex techie

My son has a "hidden" disability in that he has had foot surgery and has some trouble walking long distances (due to a condition with his spinal cord that he was born with). Sometimes it is helpful for him to sit in the shower (though not always necessary). We book an ADA cabin, and have no problem providing proof or answering questions for his disability which is not always evident to people. Having said that, my son rides the slides, does pretty much any excursion that is open to him and is a very active kid. He is free to do any of that and we are thrilled that he can!!! Just because you may need an ADA cabin doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to participate in any activity that you are able to and that certainly doesn't mean "having your cake and eating it too".

Our daughter has Juvenile Arthritis and dealing with it can be tricky. She is in medicated remission (thank you Enbrel!), but like others have posted above, she can't go for 8-10 hours straight. However, in short periods while in remission, she looks like any other normal 11-yr old. We do use her transport chair in the parks as after 5-6 hours, she crashes and fades. That being said, my goodness we get looks from everyone and their brother during the good hours like we are some kind of horrible people... But I digress...

On the ships, it's a bit tricky because we usually have to book so far out. Our daughter is in remission now, but there is no guarantee she will be that way a year from now. So, I'd rather get the HA room now if we need it for her transport chair, although hopefully we won't need it.

That being said, we would know a few weeks prior and if we didn't need it, we'd be happy to switch out, however I don't know if the timing of that works out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think "verifying" is one thing (me sending in a form that says I need an accessible cabin, here's what I'm bringing with me, etc) but as was suggested earlier in this thread about sending in your medical documentation from my doctor to a third party cruiseline medical "professional" - I think that crosses a line.

I think "verifying" is one thing (me sending in a form that says I need an accessible cabin, here's what I'm bringing with me, etc) but as was suggested earlier in this thread about sending in your medical documentation from my doctor to a third party cruiseline medical "professional" - I think that crosses a line.

It wouldn't have to have your diagnosis and every detail FFS!

You needing the services of the ships doctor would be fun.....

ex techie